Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

Back to the album anticipation topic and speaking of touring:

Do you think the new album will have a new stadium anthem type song like Minority and Know Your Enemy? I’d love a new stadium singalong from them, they’re so good at that. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This is true and the fact may be that if you are a super fan and still enjoy seeing them multiple times per tour then great. If you (meaning anyone) are finding the shows stale and repetitive, maybe you’ve gone too many times now and no longer desire to see as many shows per tour. It won’t affect their attendance much if we’re talking a handful of people that do that. I went twice last tour and spaced out over six months it was great. This time I’d like to do one or two more.  Not sure I’d want to see a run of shows for weeks straight I can see how that would get boring. And if it’s boring for you don’t do it. 

No I’ve only been to two shows and I already find it stale. But that’s just me. To each his own. What I personally feel people overreact to is the setlist. I’m fine with it staying the same. Note I said “personally”. It’s an opinion.

20 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Do you think the new album will have a new stadium anthem type song like Minority and Know Your Enemy? I’d love a new stadium singalong from them, they’re so good at that. 

I love the idea of this

39 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

As a second thought though viewing it from another perspective I could see it affecting the setlist in the view point that being sober may allow him to play specific songs that have certain changes and other structures he may not have been able to remember. For example if he's hammered on stage I don't think they'd go and attempt playing Homecoming for the first time in years. 

I was thinking that may happen, but instead they kept the setlist maybe even more stable than on previous tours.

I can see it can seem stale, especially if someone goes multiple times in a short while. I agree it takes away some of the excitement because there just isn't much of a moment of surprise when you can tell what they're playing next, but personally I'm not in the position to complain because the two times I saw them I got to see quite a few surprise songs.

To me, the main problem with the setlist that never changes is that Green Day have whole albuns that are flawless, so many great music that the guys are putting aside to play only the hits. They could easily pick 60 or 70 songs and choose 25/30 at each show, it could be a random choice that it will still be a great show

I’d be curious to know if it’s mostly American super fans that are unhappy because the US shows are the most repetitive setlists packed with hits.   Billie has mentioned that the energy of the crowd is what makes the difference. When the crowd is wild and loose he feels the ability to get more wild and loose and for some reason they find US fans to be more reserved. So I suppose we only have ourselves to blame! Maybe the US shows are comprised of more casual fans than elsewhere.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

This is true and the fact may be that if you are a super fan and still enjoy seeing them multiple times per tour then great. If you (meaning anyone) are finding the shows stale and repetitive, maybe you’ve gone too many times now and no longer desire to see as many shows per tour. It won’t affect their attendance much if we’re talking a handful of people that do that. I went twice last tour and spaced out over six months it was great. This time I’d like to do one or two more.  Not sure I’d want to see a run of shows for weeks straight I can see how that would get boring. And if it’s boring for you don’t do it. 

I think this point taken a little further, is that the principle behind doing a tour is that everyone gets to see 'the show', I want to say worldwide, but in reality as far reaching as they choose to go (any band!). 

It's like us all going to watch a film, we all see the same thing whether in Iceland or Australia. I think GD aim for this, as do many bands. 

If you loved the film Titanic, but watched it 20 times and started to get bored. That's not because of the film not being good, its due to needing a breather in order to appreciate it again (or maybe, that's it, no more, you over did it)

I'm not saying I wouldn't like variety, I would do. But I get why they don't. 

1 hour ago, neverdone2000 said:

Ok so I’ll clarify. A lot of longtime fans who have seen multiple shows are tired of the KFAD/Jump montage and the back and forth during Hitchin a Ride. Also Billie needs to do about 1/3 of the hey-ohs he did during RevRad. As far as live song choices I have less of an opinion because that doesn’t bother me as much. That’s just my opinion and others wish they would bring a fresher set list. Others are fine with sticking with the old formula on all of the above. Fans at their first show are probably fine with all of it. Hope that makes it clearer.

Not true. Ive been a fan since 2009 and i love watching kfad. If i ever see gd live i hope they will still have it in their setlist. 

55 minutes ago, Alf said:

To me, the main problem with the setlist that never changes is that Green Day have whole albuns that are flawless, so many great music that the guys are putting aside to play only the hits. They could easily pick 60 or 70 songs and choose 25/30 at each show, it could be a random choice that it will still be a great show

You hit that right on the money!

57 minutes ago, Alf said:

That’s a good problem to have. I make Spotify playlists of bands with long careers containing just the songs from those bands I really like. For most of these, the list ranges from about 25-50 songs max (Queen, Monkees, Billy Joel, Elton John, David Bowie, etc). Some of the lists are much shorter, I can go to make a playlist and be surprised to realize a band I followed for years with many albums only really had about a dozen songs I loved.

My Green Day playlist is over 150 songs.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think that they will achieve that on the coming album and it would be great for us and for them. 

I'm curious to see which Rev Rad songs get dropped and if any songs from the trilogy will resurface. 

It seems that Green Day have been trying to perfect their Live Shows ever since they first started, and I think finally starting with the Warning Era, they found something that stuck and decided to expand upon it to make the shows we see now. (Hey-Oh, Let’s Go Crazy, I’ll Tell You That Right Now, etc.)

To me, it’s not what they do on stage that’s a problem. They found their style that works, and they never fail to show me a damn fantastic time. The problem is that they’re playing it safe with the setlist because they seem to be afraid that the crowd will be dead if they don’t play the hits. So personally, I think the problem lies with the crowd rather than the band.

6 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I think that they will achieve that on the coming album and it would be great for us and for them. 

I'm curious to see which Rev Rad songs get dropped and if any songs from the trilogy will resurface. 

I can see Billie running around the stage singing Stray Heart

12 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

As long as they keep Forever Now I'm happy. Hopefully the trilogy and Insomniac (!!!!!!!) will get some much needed love and attention. They really should cut down on AI and Dookie on the setlist. They don't need to play so much from those albums just to 'make the casual fans happy'. 

There's probably also an element of 'if it's not broken why fix it' to the shows. They probably thought they perfected the show beginning to end (and tbh they did.) If you see it more as a theatrical production then it's easier to understand. Just because Billie says the same thing every night doesn't mean he means it any less - as far as he's concerned it's a new city so it's a different crowd. I went to three shows in four days and in the moment of the show it literally didn't matter to me what they played or how many hey-ohs Billie did. They know what works to put on the best show they can and so they do it. I'll still mock KFAD but I can also appreciate and understand how a GD show works.

15 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

As long as they keep Forever Now I'm happy.

Yes, please.

From my point of view I think the way they do the live show is completely fine. Sure it is always nice to see the set mixed up from show to show, but honestly I would not care at all if I went several nights in a row and they played the same setlist because the way they perform is amazing every time. 

I went three times in five months on RevRad tour here in the UK (Leeds, Manchester and Sheffield) and even though the setlist was pretty much the same over the three shows, each one of them had a completely different feeling to it. Different random things happened at each show and the energy they give is honestly so fucking good to watch. I say watch... I'm a near blind guy so it at best like watching blurry shapes zoom around on stage for me but without having the visual evidence, I can feel their passion for what they are doing and for me, as long as their shows remain like this they will be among the greatest live shows around.

The heyos, go fucking crazies and KFOD are not a problem to me at all. Having seen several bands who are just like statues and literally say nothing to interact with the audience - cough cough blink and FOB - I will never tire of those things. 

Regarding first time goers, I saw four family and friends attend their first Green Day show, and second in a couple of cases, and every one of them was blown away. I intend to take more people along on this next tour so for that reason also I hope it doesn't change!

As a 1st time GD concert goer during the Rev Rad tour, I thought the setlist was excellent as there were the new songs, the "must plays", and the middle of the setlist was the likes of 2000 LYA and Scattered. I felt that there was something for everyone on the setlist. If I see them again there will be different new songs, the "must plays", and some different songs in the middle of the setlist, and different fans on the stage, so it will be a totally different experience.

I didn't think I'd like KFAD but I did, but Billie could've cut out one or two of the hey-ohs (sorry, not sorry). The only thing I don't understand is that they played Armatage Shanks at my gig (after Billie asked what fans wanted to hear) and it got a great reception, but they didn't play it again during the tour for other people to appreciate; yet at the gig where they had the power outage and Billie played 21 Guns they continued to play it during the tour. 

You only need to read this one page to see the problem for the band and it’s the old “can’t please all of the people all of the time”.  I almost wish there was a way they could do two tours, a more defined version of their small club shows if you like, where they sell the tickets for hard core fans who will go nuts for real deep cuts and then a complete other show for casual fans who are there to see and hear Longview, AI etc.  

Every time they put out a new album, I always wonder how they add/cut out songs while keeping the show pretty much the same length. Let’s say they have 2 albums between now and 2025. Which older songs would get cut in favor of the new albums?

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I agree that their shows are absolutely fucking fantastic. I don't doubt that Billies speeches are sincere and of course the shows differ in some way. It seems like any time someone mentions that they'd like less predictability and more variation in the setlist people come rushing to say 'BUT THEIR SHOW IS ALREADY GREAT BLABLABLA'. It is, but there's also things they can do better. The argument that they need to please casual fans doesn't work for me. They're a huge enough band to cut way down on the 'casual fan pleasing' and still get lots of people coming to see them. Maybe they like doing basically the same show every night and if that's the case, fine. But I really think they'd enjoy spicing it up a bit. Also I get that the 'hey-ohs' and the making a 3 minute song into a 10 minute ordeal have its charm, it gets the crowd going etc. I have yet to see anyone who wants them to get rid of that completely, because it's all part of their show and it wouldn't feel like Green Day without it. But come on, they really should to cut down on it. It's hard to get hyped by the 300th hey-oh. 

Anyway, about the new album.. I really hope it'll contain more than 12 songs. I hadn't even thought about a deluxe version until someone mentioned it earlier but now I'm excited about it. 

3 minutes ago, Nightlife said:

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I agree that their shows are absolutely fucking fantastic. I don't doubt that Billies speeches are sincere and of course the shows differ in some way. It seems like any time someone mentions that they'd like less predictability and more variation in the setlist people come rushing to say 'BUT THEIR SHOW IS ALREADY GREAT BLABLABLA'. It is, but there's also things they can do better. The argument that they need to please casual fans doesn't work for me. They're a huge enough band to cut way down on the 'casual fan pleasing' and still get lots of people coming to see them. Maybe they like doing basically the same shit every night and if that's the case, fine. But I really think they'd enjoy spicing it up a bit. Also I get that the 'hey-ohs' and the making a 3 minute song into a 10 minute ordeal have its charm, it gets the crowd going etc. I have yet to see anyone who wants them to get rid of that completely, because it's all part of their show and it wouldn't feel like Green Day without it. But come on, they really should to cut down on it. It's hard to get hyped by the 300th hey-oh. 

Anyway, about the new album.. I really hope it'll contain more than 12 songs. I hadn't even thought about a deluxe version until someone mentioned it earlier but now I'm excited about it. 

Billie totally cares about their fans!!! There was that one show during the American Idiot tour where they were playing Homecoming. I think fans were being hassled by security or something, so Billie stops the song and says, “HEY WAIT WAIT WAIT, STOP!!! GUYS, THAT’S NOT FUCKING APPROPRIATE, MAN, THESE KIDS ARE JUST TRYING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! NOBODY’S FUCKING GETTING HURT!!! C’MON BE COOL!!!”

Just now, GDFan2019 said:

Billie totally cares about their fans!!! There was that one show during the American Idiot tour where they were playing Homecoming. I think fans were being hassled by security or something, so Billie stops the song and says, “HEY WAIT WAIT WAIT, STOP!!! GUYS, THAT’S NOT FUCKING APPROPRIATE, MAN, THESE KIDS ARE JUST TRYING TO HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! NOBODY’S FUCKING GETTING HURT!!! C’MON BE COOL!!!”

Did I say they don't care about their fans? 

1 minute ago, Nightlife said:

Did I say they don't care about their fans? 

No, I was just supporting your comment with that example

Just now, GDFan2019 said:

No, I was just supporting your comment with that example

Oh, okay! English isn't my first language so I have a pretty hard time getting my point across and I thought I'd accidentally implied somewhere that they don't care lol. I read that quote from Billie in his exact voice btw since I've watched that clip way too many times! Here's another great example of Billie doing something similar from the RevRad tour. 

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived