Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

I'm excited for new Green Day music. It's the only thing that brings me pure, unadulterated joy.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

It's a pretty big surprise to look at this in retrospect considering as a fan base we would consider Rev Rad to be more of a success than Uno. 

UNO > RevRad, I'll tell you that.

You're right about charts and stuff, I don't know how bands measure success anymore. I just want they to get paid enough to be happy, but not enough to think "well, this is enough money, let's release an album in 7 years from now".

12 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I think it's possible they could be on par with 21cb if they have a few different type of singles and get airplay on a variety of different stations.

What are you using to measure whether it's on par with 21cb? Level of airplay? Variety of stations playing songs from the album? Certifications and album sales? Chart position? 

I just want to remind people that the days of going platinum are over for the band and not just for the band but for Alternative Radio pretty much as a whole. Rev Rad had 95,000 copies sold in it's first week and for their sector that's actually considered a success now. Foo Fighters had 127,000 for Concrete and Gold and Chili Peppers 118,000 on their latest release. 

Flashback ten years ago and Green Day exceeded 250,000 units in the first week and in 2004 American Idiot saw 267,000 units in it's first week. I think we need to have somewhat of a realistic expectation in regards to certifications and album sales. 

I think a realistic expectation for a successful album would be atleast 130,000 units in it's first week and eventually go on to a gold certification. Uno has reached gold certification and achieved 139,000 units in it's first week. It's a pretty big surprise to look at this in retrospect considering as a fan base we would consider Rev Rad to be more of a success than Uno. 

Well by 21CB level, I wouldn't mean it would sell as much as 21CB because much less albums are sold in 2019 compared to 2009. But I think if a couple singles got similar airplay and charting positions as 21 Guns and KYE, it sold around what Uno sold in its first week and it did significantly better than RevRad in terms of streaming, then I'd consider that a 2019 equivalent to 21CB level

21st Century Breakdown sold 215,000 copies in its first three days. Its sales slowed down quickly though and it has sold just over 1 million copies in the US to date

21st CB also won the Best Rock Album Grammy while later albums haven't even been nominated. Would that also be a measure of success?

Just now, Hermione said:

21st CB also won the Best Rock Album Grammy while later albums haven't even been nominated. Would that also be a measure of success?

Definitely. Considering California was Blink's first nomination its clearly not the be all and end all, but it would nice for them to be noted by their peers like that

I would like to see them get Grammy recognition again at least in the Rock category. It’s such a thin field these days it should be very achievable for them with a better than average release. 

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Well by 21CB, I wouldn't mean it would sell as much as 21CB because much less albums are sold in 2019 compared to 2009. But I think if a couple singles got similar airplay and charting positions as 21 Guns and KYE, it sold around what Uno sold in its first week and it did significantly better than RevRad in terms of streaming, then I'd consider that a 2019 equivalent to 21CB level

21st Century Breakdown sold 215,000 copies in its first three days. It's sales slowed down quickly though and it has sold just over 1 million copies in the US to date

Foo Fighters had an album out 2 years prior and 2 years after. Both reached only Platinum with first week sales lower than 21cb for both releases. Wasting Light did much better in the first week than Uno though but Wasting Light is one of the best rock albums so far in the last 15 years and I'd go ahead and put that in my top 5 instantly without any further thought. In the late 00's and early 10's hitting platinum seemed standard for a band of GD's size. 

However, Uno was in a trilogy of albums and first week sales compounded between the 3 were 266,000. Lifetime sales of the trilogy as a whole has exceeded 655,000 units. 

A year prior to the trilogy Chili's released I'm With You. Currently has a lifetime sales of 500,000+ units despite a strong first week of 200,000+ 

Just to note I am using Foo Fighters and Chili's as an example in my posts as they have both had similar chart performances to Green Day and their fan bases are quite large around the world and of course they have all released albums in a similar space throughout different highs and lows of the music industry and their respective genres. 

I think with Rev Rad it didn't help that they literally released the album one week after the cut off for the next Grammys so it was almost a year old when it was time for the nominations for the Grammy year it was eligible for. Rock categories absolutely should be achievable for them.

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think with Rev Rad it didn't help that they literally released the album one week after the cut off for the next Grammys so it was almost a year old when it was time for the nominations for the Grammy year it was eligible for. Rock categories absolutely should be achievable for them.

I hope they don't make the same mistake for this album. Although if it's a FOB pop album as the "leak" suggests, it might not be eligible for Best ROCK album :lol:

(Although somehow MANIA was nominated for best rock album :confused:)

5 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Just to note I am using Foo Fighters and Chili's as an example in my posts as they have both had similar chart performances to Green Day and their fan bases are quite large around the world and of course they have all released albums in a similar space throughout different highs and lows of the music industry and their respective genres. 

The two are a very good comparison to GD and imo show that Green Day aren't quite up there with the 'biggest and best' anymore in terms of sales or popularity

1 minute ago, Hermione said:

Green Day got shafted for the Grammy's last time around. Self producing and recording it most likely played a factor and of course the release date put it in weird spot where it just seemed forgotten by the time the album was eligible. Not to mention they should have been held in both Alternative and Rock categories the way Bowie was. 

So looking at the nominees I could see Green Day being a part of "Best Rock Performance", "Best Rock Song" "Best Rock Album" and  "Best Alternative Album", 

They would have taken home Best Rock Album and lost everything else to Bowie. Bowie was not nominated in Best Rock Album category and looking at it now it seems quite weak. 

8 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Green Day got shafted for the Grammy's last time around. Self producing and recording it most likely played a factor and of course the release date put it in weird spot where it just seemed forgotten by the time the album was eligible. Not to mention they should have been held in both Alternative and Rock categories the way Bowie was. 

So looking at the nominees I could see Green Day being a part of "Best Rock Performance", "Best Rock Song" "Best Rock Album" and  "Best Alternative Album", 

They would have taken home Best Rock Album and lost everything else to Bowie. Bowie was not nominated in Best Rock Album category and looking at it now it seems quite weak. 

Hopefully having a big name producer this time will help them get that attention they might have missed by recording a small under the radar album. 

30 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

But I think if a couple singles got similar airplay and charting positions as 21 Guns and KYE

As I’ve said before, this will never happen in today’s music environment. It’s safe to say that GD will never crack the Hot 100 again unless there’s something unusual like a collab with a current artist. With the next album it will be all about alternative/rock charts, live performances, and tour. As far as exposure and success. Let’s hope the promotion is much better this time and the new management will do a better job of taking advantage of social media. 

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Hopefully having a big name producer this time will help them get that attention they might have missed by recording a small under the radar album. 

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't really consider Butch to be that big time? Not got a great amount of knowledge about producers but he's not exactly a Greg Kurstin type figure, or got the legendary status of a Butch Vig or say Rick Rubin, or have I missed a big album he produced?

5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Maybe I'm wrong on this but I don't really consider Butch to be that big time? Not got a great amount of knowledge about producers but he's not exactly a Greg Kurstin type figure, or got the legendary status of a Butch Vig or say Rick Rubin, or have I missed a big album he produced?

Well if you look at his producing credits on Wikipedia he’s worked with a lot of big artists on some big releases. He has to be known in the industry and in awards circles. 

7 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

As I’ve said before, this will never happen in today’s music environment. It’s safe to say that GD will never crack the Hot 100 again unless there’s something unusual like a collab with a current artist. With the next album it will be all about alternative/rock charts, live performances, and tour. As far as exposure and success. Let’s hope the promotion is much better this time and the new management will do a better job of taking advantage of social media. 

I just think they need a really good single type song that gets promoted. Bang Bang almost made the Hot 100, peaking at No. 4 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. Still Breathing could've done better if it was promoted better and earlier. RevRad was promoted horribly, it actually had more potential

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I just think they need a really good single type song that gets promoted. Bang Bang almost made the Hot 100, peaking at No. 4 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 chart. Still Breathing could've done better if it was promoted better and earlier. RevRad was promoted horribly, it actually had more potential

Completely agree with this. I think Still Breathing could have done amazing with the mainstream crowd if they just promoted it properly. 

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Well if you look at his producing credits on Wikipedia he’s worked with a lot of big artists on some big releases. He has to be known in the industry and in awards circles. 

Aside from FoB and Panic the biggest artist I see is Pink and then the Scooby Doo soundtrack, which whilst a masterpiece isn't necessarily going to mean he's a top dog in the industry.

Im not saying he's a bad producer btw, just not sure that working with him specifically would mean the band won any awards over any other producer.

26 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

LMAO being self produced had nothing at all to do with that 

4 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I would love it if this happens. It’s just really hard to imagine though when popular younger rock/punk bands can’t even get in the Hot 100. And I’m not talking about 5SOS and the 1975, which are pop. Hell Twenty One Pilots last album didn’t even have a single hit because they strayed away from a poppier sound.

4 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

LMAO being self produced had nothing at all to do with that 

Ok so put together some numbers of how many self produced albums have won a grammy in the category and then we can talk 

Just now, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Ok so put together some numbers of how many self produced albums have won a grammy in the category and then we can talk 

Bizarre statistic to ask for thats obviously not readily available, and still wouldn't necessarily prove your point. There have been some garbage albums that have had a producer, just as I'm sure there have been some great albums that have been self produced. I agree a producer would probably increase the chances of winning an award, but probably because they generally have a better standard of QC than self produced records. Green Day didn't win a grammy last time out for several reasons, not sure it being self produced was the most important.

5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Bizarre statistic to ask for thats obviously not readily available, and still wouldn't necessarily prove your point. There have been some garbage albums that have had a producer, just as I'm sure there have been some great albums that have been self produced. I agree a producer would probably increase the chances of winning an award, but probably because they generally have a better standard of QC than self produced records. Green Day didn't win a grammy last time out for several reasons, not sure it being self produced was the most important.

I don’t think anyone is saying it was the most important reason but it might have been a factor, along with release date, promotion, level of ambition/quality and everything else.

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think anyone is saying it was the most important reason but it might have been a factor, along with release date, promotion, level of ambition/quality and everything else.

And my point is that it would’ve been bottom of the list of those factors, so asking for statistics which aren’t readily available before discussing anything is pointless when it ultimately won’t have directly mattered 

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived