Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I was surprised that Dreamcatcher didn't come out with Longshot.

But then again, it was already used in the Those Paper Bullets musical

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

But then again, it was already used in the Those Paper Bullets musical

Yes, but so we're other Longshot songs.

3 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

Could Back in the USA have been a trial to test the water. And now they do a whole album like this? 

Not poppy as such, but much more melodic/rock and roll than straight out rock music. But I can see how someone would call it poppier. 

The thing is that pop or the poppy sound is way to generic of a description and the person reading it will interpret it to their bias. First off Green Day always had a "poppy" sound. I consider poppy sounds being like The Beatles or Everly Brothers or as you put it melodic. 

However, someone who's looking at a more modern version of poppy are going to think of current "pop punk" (which it isn't really pop punk) and current pop. I just don't see Green Day going in that direction. 

I wouldn't mind them going into the direction you mentioned. Back In The USA was a fun short song that holds up when being compared and contrasted to previous Green Day songs. 

3 hours ago, Malleus said:

Fall Out Boy's last three albums were excellent, and if Green Day could manage to pull of a MANIA-type sound (I don't think they could pull it off like FOB) then I'd be so incredibly hyped. I have full faith in them if they decide to go pop. People always act like pop music is bad and it's like... no. A lot of it is way more refreshing that guitar-driven rock is nowadays.

Anyway, I don't need to worry about this. Green Day haven't let me down for like 18 years so I can't suspect they'll start now haha

I respectfully disagree. Mania shows a band that's on trend for the sake of relevancy. As a short term game it may work for them but from a long term perspective it doesn't hold up. An artist like Bowie was able to experiment on his own terms. He didn't make decisions based on relevancy , album sales or popular trends as he focused on creative songwriting. Yet, so many of his albums are still relevant today and to the point where he's in the top 10 for album sales this decade and many of the albums sold are over 30 years old. 

I wouldn't say that pop is more refreshing than guitar driven music. I think both are suffering for the same reason. There's too many acts following the same formulas. 

3 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Back In The USA was a fun short song 

Yep, would be up for and album this. I love rock'n'roll  and I think they did a great job of this. 

I also agree with your explanation of 'poppier' and that its subjective. I used melodic... Others would interpret that differently too. 

Let's hope it's your version of poppier!! 

3 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

Yep, would be up for and album this. I love rock'n'roll  and I think they did a great job of this. 

I also agree with your explanation of 'poppier' and that its subjective. I used melodic... Others would interpret that differently too. 

Let's hope it's your version of poppier!! 

Yeah I don't anticipate them following any types of trends but I'm sure they're aware that using fresh hooks, vocal phrasing and structures would benefit them. I think that's one reason for heading back into the studio with a producer.

I'd like to see them be more progressive within the Green Day sound. While Dookie and Insomniac were classic 4 power chord Green Day there was still breakdowns during the songs that allowed them to become progressive within that. This was also seen on American Idiot and that progression led to 21cb where they even became progressive a little bit outside the Green Day sound. 

The last 2 albums seemed to just touch the surface of the band's minds. I believe there is more in the tank but they weren't motivated to tap into it. They came around full circle on Rev Rad. Rev Rad has opened the door for them to dive deeper again. I would even be open to seeing them progress the Green Day sound. Experiment outside of the power chord thing in a similar way that The Clash or early U2 did but keep the pace up and the energy up. They can create new sounds while maintaining their level of energy that's been present on previous records. 

There's a chance for them to step forward where they left off with 21cb. A chance they couldn't take with the trilogy. You can feel the mental fatigue from that time when listening to it.

In a similar vein to the RevRad titles, I could see Antisocial Media being a phrase he loved from Revolution Radio and decided to write a song with that title. This lends to the believability of the whole thing for me. 

So either the song tracks were made up to make fun of Green Day's typical shtick, or Billie let his libtard IG posts actually bleed into their music. Song titles sound kind of bogus but you never know. Don't forget: 4chan is heavily conservative and they hate Green Day because of their politics.

4chan isn’t one person with one ethos.

4chan doesn’t hate Green Day because of their politics .

2 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

No it just happens to be full of nazis.

7 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

4chan doesn’t hate Green Day because of their politics .

Hey I love 4chan and their antics, but they do have a very right-leaning user base. And every negative comment about Green Day started after their music got political.

6 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

So either the song tracks were made up to make fun of Green Day's typical shtick, or Billie let his libtard IG posts actually bleed into their music. Song titles sound kind of bogus but you never know. Don't forget: 4chan is heavily conservative and they hate Green Day because of their politics.

Don't think it'd be done purely to take the piss out of the band, I really don't think anyone outside of the fanbase is actively waiting for this release. Most likely either its real, or someones just bored.

This is probably the least amount of attention the band has had since Warning, and I think they can use that to their advantage. Theres no pressure on them to make anything, no album to make a sequel of, no comeback to be had, they can really explore their songwriting abilities with no fears of public reaction.

That's why going in a pop direction would be the most bland and pointless thing they could do. Theres nothing to gain from it whatsoever, the hardcore fans won't like it, casual fans won't like it, they almost certainly won't be able to write anything that could top charts. At least with rehashing RevRad thats their own sound. 

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Let’s keep this here to refer back and laugh in a few months:

1.Burn it all
2. Don't patronize me
3. Antisocial media
4. Average Workin Man
5. Dollywhoop
6. Broken bridge 
7. Peace 
8. As the world turns
9. Rome Falls
10. Puppydog crush
11. The jury and the judge
12. Take a Stand
13. Orange Summer

And he claims Peace is the first single.

Most of these are believable. Seems like libtard IG Billie leaked into the album if these are true. But Dollywhoop and Puppydog Crush do not sound like Green Day songs. 

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Don't think it'd be done purely to take the piss out of the band, I really don't think anyone outside of the fanbase is actively waiting for this release. Most likely either its real, or someones just bored.

This is probably the least amount of attention the band has had since Warning, and I think they can use that to their advantage. Theres no pressure on them to make anything, no album to make a sequel of, no comeback to be had, they can really explore their songwriting abilities with no fears of public reaction.

That's why going in a pop direction would be the most bland and pointless thing they could do. Theres nothing to gain from it whatsoever, the hardcore fans won't like it, casual fans won't like it, they almost certainly won't be able to write anything that could top charts. At least with rehashing RevRad thats their own sound. 

Yes, I agree. I'd like to see them try something new, but the only truly underwhelming "something new" would be the "trendy" pop punk that's currently done by FOB and a ton of other bands. They've always had their own sound and sometimes even set trends, so the only thing that would truly disappoint me is if they abandoned that for someone else's sound/style.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yes, but so we're other Longshot songs.

I saw These Paper Bullets. There were no Longshot songs in it and Dreamcatcher wasn't actually in it either, they played it during the curtain call.

2 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

I saw These Paper Bullets. There were no Longshot songs in it and Dreamcatcher wasn't actually in it either, they played it during the curtain call.

Oh I'm sorry to spread misinformation - for some reason I thought Follow You Around and Keep Me Satisfied were both in the play and released on the longshot soundcloud, but I didn't see TPB so I'm probably wrong.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

In a similar vein to the RevRad titles, I could see Antisocial Media being a phrase he loved from Revolution Radio and decided to write a song with that title. This lends to the believability of the whole thing for me. 

I think I first heard him use "anti social media" in 21CBD interviews, then it popped up on Revrad and I could quite believe some of these titles but agree with @DookieLukie above.  I know nothing about 4chan and don't really get why someone would start this is if they didn't have real infor but who knows, right now trying to stay calm and not get too caught up in it all but so wanting to hear something new and great from them.  

I so agree with @Joe. above when he says they have nothing to prove, I think this could be most free from living up to anything they have been for years so hopefully they are just going to let rip with some excellent, solid music whether you call it rock n roll, punk, pop punk or whatever!  Have faith people!

15 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Exactly this. Billie Joe reflecting on the time just before the release of AI: "If they hang us then fuck it" 

They need to be bold like that again. The lack of attention though isn't really the same as the Warning situation. Green Day still has influence in alternative and rock radio and it was evident during the tour. Almost every person I spoke to at the show was seeing Green Day for the first time in their Rev Rad shirts.

I also saw a lot of older GD fans in my social circle come back after hearing the title track and Bang Bang and a lot of people who questioned their integrity years ago spoke out about how they were really wrong and never anticipated Green Day to record an entire album on their own especially with all the resources they had available to them after AI. 

The lack of attention is mostly from pop radio and pop culture. Green Day has crossed over to that on several occasions but they're not really aligned in that segment anyways. Green Day manufactured this lack of pop culture attention themselves. How many self produced songs ever hit the top 100? 

45 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Most of these are believable. Seems like libtard IG Billie leaked into the album if these are true. But Dollywhoop and Puppydog Crush do not sound like Green Day songs. 

And as I said earlier, As The World Turns sounds like something Billie would write. And thinking about it now, Burn it All sounds like it might be anti-Trump. I can see the chorus going something like, “Burn, burn it all, don’t build that wall!”

20 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I also saw a lot of older GD fans in my social circle come back after hearing the title track and Bang Bang and a lot of people who questioned their integrity years ago spoke out about how they were really wrong and never anticipated Green Day to record an entire album on their own especially with all the resources they had available to them after AI. 

The lack of attention is mostly from pop radio and pop culture. Green Day has crossed over to that on several occasions but they're not really aligned in that segment anyways. Green Day manufactured this lack of pop culture attention themselves. How many self produced songs ever hit the top 100? 

This is exactly why they don't need to try to get noticed and go mainstream-friendly. They have their audience that appreciates the fact that they still maintain (some) integrity.

16 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

And thinking about it now, Burn it All sounds like it might be anti-Trump. I can see the chorus going something like, “Burn, burn it all, don’t build that wall!”

Ugh please no

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

This is exactly why they don't need to try to get noticed and go mainstream-friendly. They have their audience that appreciates the fact that they still maintain (some) integrity.

Yeah exactly and their goal should be to put their best foot forward and possibly write and record an impact album. If that means several songs or one song crosses over to the Top 100 then cool people like it! If they end up winning a grammy for their record cool but that's not the measure of their success. That's not how they measure their success. 

55 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oh I'm sorry to spread misinformation - for some reason I thought Follow You Around and Keep Me Satisfied were both in the play and released on the longshot soundcloud, but I didn't see TPB so I'm probably wrong.

Actually, I was mistaken, The Last Time is from These Paper Bullets. So is Keep Me Satisfied but that was not on the album. I had to double check because I recorded it while I was there.

Please no anti-Trump songs. I'm sick of hearing about him. Especially from Billie Joe. I'll be really disappointed if there's an anti-Trump song on the album (although Orange Summer sounds like it could be about Trump too just because of the 'Orange')

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

(although Orange Summer sounds like it could be about Trump too just because of the 'Orange')

oh please no haha

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Please no anti-Trump songs. I'm sick of hearing about him. Especially from Billie Joe. I'll be really disappointed if there's an anti-Trump song on the album (although Orange Summer sounds like it could be about Trump too just because of the 'Orange')

What else would Orange Summer be about?

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived