Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

11 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

My favorite transition has always been Chump into Longview. Sooooo good.

Yeah can't believe I forgot about that one lol

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jengd said:

We felt Glastonbury is giving over way too much to more folk/jazz,  really alternative (church choirs from SA - who were excellent but a little niche perhaps), legacy acts (Kylie, headlining, really??) and sentimentally driven acts like the The Cure. Yes, I know the Cure were huge - emphases on were - and are around more now but it was pretty cringeworthy.  Think Glastonbury needs a shake up, or maybe this year's line-up just wasn't for me.  I could hardly believe however that BJA would visit and neither of the Eavis' speak to him about the possibility.  He has said before that he doesn't know much about it, but if he enjoyed it he could be thinking, yep, got to fit that in. 

This years lineup was incredibly diverse, Stormzy an excellent headliner, The Cure being legendary and The Killers being, idk, the killers? 

I cant see green day headlining that soon, they aren’t up and coming like a Stormzy, like it or not they aren’t as legendary as a Cure, and not got the pop hits that a band like The Killers have

10 minutes ago, Joe. said:

they aren’t as legendary as a Cure

🤔🤔🤔

25 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

🤔🤔🤔

… I mean as much as I love them they just aren’t 

4 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

A true masterpiece, man

I almost died :lol:

Green Day are more popular and well known than the Cure.

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Behave

6 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Behave

10 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I think it’s fair to say that GD are more widely known and popular among people born in the 90’s and onwards. As it’s fair to say the opposite for anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, J a c said:

I think it’s fair to say that GD are more widely known and popular among people born in the 90’s and onwards. As it’s fair to say the opposite for anyone else. 

I think it’s fair to say for people in their teens around 1994 and 2004.

Either way, Green Day haven’t achieved the “legend” status that the cure have, aren’t at the “top” (used very loosely) like The Killers or Foo Fighters and aren’t an up and coming artist like Stormzy, so I don’t see them headlining Glastonbury any time soon

8 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Either way, Green Day haven’t achieved the “legend” status that the cure have, aren’t at the “top” (used very loosely) like The Killers or Foo Fighters and aren’t an up and coming artist like Stormzy, so I don’t see them headlining Glastonbury any time soon

The Cure aren't really legends. Or at least anymore than green day are. A lot of people don't even know a Cure song. But yeah I'd say the killers and foo fighters have been more popular, but wouldn't say their music is better except for maybe one foo fighters song.

13 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I don’t think a teenager in 2019 is more likely to know or like the Cure then Green Day. As (probably) Killers and Foo Fighters are currently more popular, but I would not be that sure in absolute terms. 

I don’t know what would be a “definitive” reference point to decide this, or if it exists, but for example on YouTube they all have roughly the same amount of views on their top hits official videos. 

Who’s cure? Am I missing some good music, or is it okay to ignore that band? 

6 minutes ago, Morse Code Guy said:

Who’s cure? Am I missing some good music, or is it okay to ignore that band? 

They're okay imo. I'm sure you've heard this before

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

They're okay imo. I'm sure you've heard this before

Umm no. I’ve never heard it before. They’re okay. I’d prefer any kiss song over it. 

Green Day could easily headline Glastonbury. Most bands would kill for their back catalogue. Songs like BOBD, 21 Guns, American idiot, Basket case and Time of your life would get a massive response. They also still have a fresher sound to most of their 90s counterparts. 

back on topic... New album, new album, new album, new album, new album, new album coming soon. Excited I are.

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Definitely. Hardly anyone knows The Cure others than their fan base. Green Day is much more of a draw. The Cure has been around much longer but got into the HOF after GD. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE The Cure. They’re my 2nd favorite band. But they are not more legendary than Green Day.

4 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

back on topic... New album, new album, new album, new album, new album, new album coming soon. Excited I are.

The excitement has led to 155 pages 😜

I would put GD and the Foo Fighters on the same level popularity wise, but the Killers below both of them.  Both the Killers and GD's most recent albums charted at #1, but the Killers singles didn't chart as well as GD.  And yeah, GD has a number of songs that play to the pop crowd, as well as rock songs that the pop crowd still knows.

7 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I would put GD and the Foo Fighters on the same level popularity wise, but the Killers below both of them.  Both the Killers and GD's most recent albums charted at #1, but the Killers singles didn't chart as well as GD.  And yeah, GD has a number of songs that play to the pop crowd, as well as rock songs that the pop crowd still knows.

Lol no. Foo Fighters have been selling out stadiums in minutes whilst Green Day didn’t sell out arenas on their last tour 

17 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

Green Day could easily headline Glastonbury. Most bands would kill for their back catalogue. Songs like BOBD, 21 Guns, American idiot, Basket case and Time of your life would get a massive response. They also still have a fresher sound to most of their 90s counterparts. 

Yet for most people in England they’re forgotten, they don’t have the same legend status as a cure, it’s an era thing and not a comment on the quality of Green Day

57 minutes ago, J a c said:

I don’t think a teenager in 2019 is more likely to know or like the Cure then Green Day. As (probably) Killers and Foo Fighters are currently more popular, but I would not be that sure in absolute terms. 

I don’t know what would be a “definitive” reference point to decide this, or if it exists, but for example on YouTube they all have roughly the same amount of views on their top hits official videos. 

Yeah teenagers don’t listen to either on the whole, but The Cure have a more mainstream general appeal than Green Day.

Im not saying ones better or worse but realistically they have more appeal for Glastonbury than Green Day :lol: 

Green Day are nowhere near forgotten. Granted, not a huge amount of people follow them or know a significant amount of their discography, but pretty much everyone knows at least a couple of GD songs and know that Green Day are "that band that sings American Idiot and 21 Guns and that song about walking alone" (lol)

I honestly don't think I know a single thing about the Cure or any songs by them

9 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Yet for most people in England they’re forgotten, they don’t have the same legend status as a cure, it’s an era thing and not a comment on the quality of Green Day

Sorry we'll have to agree to disagree here. They can still easily fill stadiums over in the UK.

11 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Yeah teenagers don’t listen to either on the whole, but The Cure have a more mainstream general appeal than Green Day.

Im not saying ones better or worse but realistically they have more appeal for Glastonbury than Green Day :lol: 

A teenager that listens to rock and alternative in 2019. Rare beasts but they exist 😅 And for sure the Cure are more appealing in this moment, Green Day are not touring :P 

4 hours ago, Joe. said:

You’re usually right on the money with your comments, but I’ll have to disagree with you here. Though they did have trouble filling some select places on the last tour, this wasn’t the case for the UK (actually they did well in most places in Europe and only really struggled in some areas of the US). Also, while I can grant you that the Foos had bigger crowds for their tour than Green Day, that doesn’t mean the guys would have any difficulty with appearing at Glastonbury.

If what you’re saying were true, then they wouldn’t have been able to sell out Emirates in 2013 and Hyde Park in 2017 or have pulled that massive crowd at Reading in 2013. As I said, yes Glastonbury is more pop, but the lines between it and Reading are being blurred. So, you’d have to make the argument that they couldn’t even turn up at Reading next year either, for fear of the crowds being too small, and that would honestly be a ludicrous thing to say.

13 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

Sorry we'll have to agree to disagree here. They can still easily fill stadiums over in the UK.

But they haven’t since the trilogy? They didn’t for Rev Rad and Hyde park “sold out” on the day, so no the numbers suggest otherwise

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived