Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

24 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Not so sure about that. Not based on what has been released post 21st CB anyway. 

I do think they’ve got the potential to write some really interesting and great songs, which is why I want them to work with a producer that pushes themselves to focus on different aspects of their songwriting. A Josh Homme-type would be amazing.

But the focus of the boys doesn’t really appear to be that focused on chart success and I don’t think it would come from another RevRad, or going in a pop direction.

¡Uno! was doing well enough for it to earn a spot in the mainstream, It just seemed like inactivity from Billie in rehab took that away.

I made the point that if they were to make another chart-topper, it would feel forced. It’s clear that they want to make their own stuff without worrying about the charts, and all that’s all the better for true Green Day fans. Fuck what the mainstream wants.

27 minutes ago, J a c said:

I think Dookie was so good and successful because of its authenticity and  freshness. GD forcing themselves to produce a new Dookie in 2019 (in terms of both music and lyrics) would not be authentic, nor fresh, and for these reasons I doubt they would be able to top charts with something similar. 

Honestly, I beg to differ. The one way I think Green Day’s going to top the charts is if they make a new Boulevard of Broken Dreams or 21 Guns. Since the mainstream considers them “That one band that wrote the emo song from 8th grade.” But it’d feel forced, and they’d be pleasing a demographic they clearly don’t give a damn about pleasing.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have never been driven by a desire for chart success, I can't see why they would be now.  They might be under pressure from the label or the new management group to aim for more chart success but I am pretty sure they will continue to do what they want.  Don't see that attitude changing at this point in their lives.

46 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Honestly, I beg to differ. The one way I think Green Day’s going to top the charts is if they make a new Boulevard of Broken Dreams or 21 Guns. Since the mainstream considers them “That one band that wrote the emo song from 8th grade.” But it’d feel forced, and they’d be pleasing a demographic they clearly don’t give a damn about pleasing.

Well, Boulevard and 21 Guns are not on Dookie, are they? 😄

In my comment I was only referring to Dookie and the possibility to top charts producing a record with similar lyrics and composition/music style, forcing themselves to do so.

Rock ballads are definitely a way to climb charts or at least try to, and they do not necessarily have to be a “forced” attempt to do so. I don’t think Good riddance felt forced at the time, as boulevard or 21 guns. They can definitely produce a kick ass and successful rock ballad for the new album, and it does not need to have a “forced” dookie or AI, or whatever sound to be so. 

When you all are talking about “climbing the charts”, what charts are you referring to?

5 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

When you all are talking about “climbing the charts”, what charts are you referring to?

I am thinking about something like staying a few weeks in the Billboard hot 100. 

6 minutes ago, J a c said:

I am thinking about something like staying a few weeks in the Billboard hot 100. 

I think as far as individual singles, extremely unlikely. Having number one singles on the alternative and Rock charts again would be a success. And I think a huge success would be topping the album chart at release and then staying in the top 10 or so of that chart for awhile. And just getting lots of good buzz online. 

6 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

I think as far as individual singles, extremely unlikely. Having number one singles on the alternative and Rock charts again would be a success. And I think a huge success would be topping the album chart at release and then staying in the top 10 or so of that chart for awhile. And just getting lots of good buzz online. 

Absolutely agree, mine was a very hypothetical thinking. If something will have the chance to reach a good spot in the Billboard hot charts, it would probably be a rock ballad. Very unlikely considering the music scenario, but it could happen with the right momentum (I am not saying n1, that’s almost science fiction, just something in a good spot). 

At the same time I believe rock/alternative charts are not very competitive at the moment, Bang Bang did well in rock charts, and I think any decent single could do at least the same today. 

27 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Bang Bang and Still Breathing did do well on the alternative and rock charts. Both tracks reached number one on US Alternative, Mainstream Rock and Rock Airplay charts. 

Bang Bang managed to reach No. 4 on the Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart (meaning it reached No. 104), Oh Love peaked at No. 97 on the Hot 100

36 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Bang Bang and Still Breathing did do well on the alternative and rock charts. Both tracks reached number one on US Alternative, Mainstream Rock and Rock Airplay charts. 

Bang Bang managed to reach No. 4 on the Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart (meaning it reached No. 104), Oh Love peaked at No. 97 on the Hot 100

FOX also played Still Breathing before every commercial break during the 2016 World Series

55 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Which is why I said that would be a success “again”. I think it was a pretty big accomplishment to have to N 1 songs on these charts at this point in their career. If they can do that again, even more of an accomplishment. Foo Fighters did not get a number one song on Rock or alternative charts with their last album I don’t think. 

We're getting into that "will they or won't they" when it comes to chart topping/big album sells again.  It's really just a luck of the draw, being at the right place and right time, all those cliches. 

Green Day have the advantage in that they have a passion for the music, and it shows.  They also have pop sensibilities and those show too, but the pop and rock worlds have divided into separate places and that makes it a bit tougher for rock bands these days.  

Then there's the "American Idiot Problem".   No matter how great a Green Day record may be, it will always get a backhanded comparison to that album.  There's no getting around it.    We do it on here, critics do it, more casual fans that still listen do it.   

And the band HAS been affected by this.  They went bigger, louder, crazier on Breakdown.  Where can you go after that?  Um....Three albums in a row is about the only way to top that, right?    And while I do feel like Revolution Radio was a step in letting the struggle go and taking some of the pressure off themselves, it was still there.   Rev Rad had sounds like that of Idiot, and they wouldn't have been there had Idiot not been the massive thing that it was. 

22 minutes ago, That Dude said:

We're getting into that "will they or won't they" when it comes to chart topping/big album sells again.  It's really just a luck of the draw, being at the right place and right time, all those cliches. 

Green Day have the advantage in that they have a passion for the music, and it shows.  They also have pop sensibilities and those show too, but the pop and rock worlds have divided into separate places and that makes it a bit tougher for rock bands these days.  

Then there's the "American Idiot Problem".   No matter how great a Green Day record may be, it will always get a backhanded comparison to that album.  There's no getting around it.    We do it on here, critics do it, more casual fans that still listen do it.   

And the band HAS been affected by this.  They went bigger, louder, crazier on Breakdown.  Where can you go after that?  Um....Three albums in a row is about the only way to top that, right?    And while I do feel like Revolution Radio was a step in letting the struggle go and taking some of the pressure off themselves, it was still there.   Rev Rad had sounds like that of Idiot, and they wouldn't have been there had Idiot not been the massive thing that it was. 

I don’t think the success of an album is due to luck. I think it’s the quality of the songs and the promotion. Also whether the songs are stale and safe or bring something new and fresh. I think it is possible for an older band or artist to do this, but it’s very tricky. 

Also, almost every comparison I have seen in complaints about Green Day are “anything after Nimrod” is nit worth listening to. Which is ridiculous and just people being elitist music snobs.

I should clarify that I’m talking about the success of an album from a band like Green Day. When it comes to current artists, it is often the luck of being the “chosen one” currently and it’s going to do well even if it’s shit.

2 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I don’t think the success of an album is due to luck. I think it’s the quality of the songs and the promotion. Also whether the songs are stale and safe or bring something new and fresh. I think it is possible for an older band or artist to do this, but it’s very tricky. 

Also, almost every comparison I have seen in complaints about Green Day are “anything after Nimrod” is nit worth listening to. Which is ridiculous and just people being elitist music snobs.

I should clarify that I’m talking about the success of an album from a band like Green Day. When it comes to current artists, it is often the luck of being the “chosen one” currently and it’s going to do well even if it’s shit.

The album has to have songs that a lot of people enjoy and be promoted properly.  Maybe that's a better way to put it.  Green Day certainly haven't got where they are by dumb luck, that's for sure.  

Green Day have major cross-over attraction and a certain kind of song could put put them in the spotlight again.   :)

5 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The album has to have songs that a lot of people enjoy and be promoted properly.  Maybe that's a better way to put it.  Green Day certainly haven't got where they are by dumb luck, that's for sure.  

Green Day have major cross-over attraction and a certain kind of song could put put them in the spotlight again.   :)

This is true. They have worked their asses off to get to where they are and released amazing albums during shifts in what is "in" as far as popularity. However, the charts are not friendly to straight rock music at the present. It's techno/synth, pop, pop/country, pop/rock (more pop than rock), R&B, (c)rap. Promote all you want, but until the shift in what's "popular" happens, it will be difficult.

There's not much on the radio these days with real instruments (guitar, drums, bass, ect). It's all computer generated synths, and I hate it. My local rock station (yes only 1 rock station where I live) barely plays new released rock music. It's very frustrating.

Only rock stations I know play classic rock. Alternative stations play either rock from the 90’s-early 2000’s to what sounds more like pop of today.  And what frustrates me is the new young rock bands exist, they’re just not getting on the radio. 

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Only rock stations I know play classic rock. Alternative stations play either rock from the 90’s-early 2000’s to what sounds more like pop of today.  And what frustrates me is the new young rock bands exist, they’re just not getting on the radio. 

Exactly! There are so many good and pretty popular young bands but they do not get promoted or played on radio. It’s definitely a very different world than it was in the 90s. 

Success from the new album will not come from mainstream charts. It will come from people listening to it and truly appreciating the genius of Green Day, cementing and expanding their appeal and reputation. Kind of like the Keanu Reeves phenomenon right now.

8 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Exactly! There are so many good and pretty popular young bands but they do not get promoted or played on radio. It’s definitely a very different world than it was in the 90s. 

Success from the new album will not come from mainstream charts. It will come from people listening to it and truly appreciating the genius of Green Day, cementing and expanding their appeal and reputation. Kind of like the Keanu Reeves phenomenon right now.

And despite their age, I do think they can still have mainstream success and chart hits because look at how young their fanbase is and it grows all the time. They’re not your typical aging rock band with fans as old as they are exclusively. 

11 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Kind of like the Keanu Reeves phenomenon right now.

Now I want a “Keanu Reeves walking to music” with Boulevard of Broken dreams.  

22 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Damn I love that Keanu Reeves analogy! Maybe this new Green Day album will be the start of their John Wick period? A legendary but not-currently-in-the-zeitgeist veteran returning to the spotlight by doing the best version of themselves from years past but executing it at the highest level possible. Not reinventing the wheel but still making it fresh through sheer force of commitment the gimmick. 

50 minutes ago, DadBod said:

This is true. They have worked their asses off to get to where they are and released amazing albums during shifts in what is "in" as far as popularity. However, the charts are not friendly to straight rock music at the present. It's techno/synth, pop, pop/country, pop/rock (more pop than rock), R&B, (c)rap. Promote all you want, but until the shift in what's "popular" happens, it will be difficult.

There's not much on the radio these days with real instruments (guitar, drums, bass, ect). It's all computer generated synths, and I hate it. My local rock station (yes only 1 rock station where I live) barely plays new released rock music. It's very frustrating.

Same here in South Carolina.  The rock station advertises itself as "new rock" but almost exclusively plays the biggest hits from the 90s and 00s.    Want Stone Temple Pilots and Bush's greatest hits, you got it.  Green Day, you get "Basketcase" or "When I Come Around", haha. 

These things work in cycles and one day, guitar/bass/drums will be popular again.  

2 minutes ago, TheNimrodsPodcast said:

Damn I love that Keanu Reeves analogy! Maybe this new Green Day album will be the start of their John Wick period? A legendary but not-currently-in-the-zeitgeist veteran returning to the spotlight by doing the best version of themselves from years past but executing it at the highest level possible. Not reinventing the wheel but still making it fresh through sheer force of commitment the gimmick. 

That would be ideal. But for it to happen, they’re going to need some savvy promotion and much more of a social media presence.

25 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And despite their age, I do think they can still have mainstream success and chart hits because look at how young their fanbase is and it grows all the time. They’re not your typical aging rock band with fans as old as they are exclusively. 

They do have a surprising percentage of young fans, especially in comparison to other older bands. But mainstream charts are a numbers game. I’m sure there’s a direct correlation between number of Instagram followers and mainstream success currently, and we’re talking 2.5 million for Green Day vs hundreds of millions for some other artists. So in other words, even though they have a young fan base there aren’t enough of those people for mainstream success as far as singles. Album success is I think a different story.

Yeah if you wanna do well chart wise, rock is not the way to go, sadly. Its been like this for, what, maybe a decade at this point? Most people i know hate rock music because its too heavy or aggressive or whatever. Maybe in another decade rock will do a lot better :P But I don't think GD is the type of band to chase radio singles and chart toppers or anything.

1 minute ago, Jirachi said:

Yeah if you wanna do well chart wise, rock is not the way to go, sadly. Its been like this for, what, maybe a decade at this point? Most people i know hate rock music because its too heavy or aggressive or whatever. Maybe in another decade rock will do a lot better :P But I don't think GD is the type of band to chase radio singles and chart toppers or anything.

I don't think they are either. When they made Idiot, Billie said "give us an A or give us F. we don't care" (paraphrased). I don't care about chart positioning. As long as I feel it's a good album and I enjoy listening to it, that's all that matters to me. Critics can stuff it. The public rarely agrees with them anyway.

Just now, DadBod said:

I don't think they are either. When they made Idiot, Billie said "give us an A or give us F. we don't care" (paraphrased). I don't care about chart positioning. As long as I feel it's a good album and I enjoy listening to it, that's all that matters to me. Critics can stuff it. The public rarely agrees with them anyway.

I agree except I want the album itself to do well and sustainable on the charts and be well-received, and I want it to be because it’s good.  I suspect GD does too. I don’t want them to be like U2, putting out stale and uninteresting albums when they have a history of such amazing music. 

If Green Day stayed true to their sound and had a hit, that'd be fine but highly unlikely. I wouldn't want them to cave to current trends like FOB and PATD. They just sound pathetic. I also don't want them to be a nostalgia act like blink, constantly trying to recreate classic sounds (also pathetic). I think Green Day has always been good at being fresh but keeping their sound. Honestly, I'd like more "project albums" from Green Day. Like trying to capture a genre like FBHT or Paramore's After Laughter album. Something to show off their knowledge and skill. Green Day's best songs recently work as homages to eras of music and specific styles.

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived