Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

I... actually would not mind a bit more hip-hop influence. Not that I want Billie to rap but some more electronic sounding production could be a cool experiment

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im hopeful for the opposite. I want them to stay as Punk Rock as possible. I don't mind experimentation but i just want the punk rock feel and sound at its core. Im biased because i only listen to pop punk, punk, and some metal here and there and 0 other musical genres, but still xP 

9 hours ago, petros said:

Don't they have to though? Like seriously where do they go from here? They are still looking good they're not in acdc lever of being an old touring band and I know billie doesn't wanna become that. They are well known. They made a punk rock album in their last release and released a punk rock song like bang bang as first single in a world where guitars don't exist in mainstream music. I wouldn't mind go full blink-182 and release a new pop-rock first single and look at people freaking out. Especially green day have stayed "true to punk rock" for so long and I want them to piss all over that now. Make a weird project, something interesting.

Yeah I think they do, because at this point they've done a lot of punk rock and after revrad and bang bang they have nothing to prove in that genre/to the punk scene. So if they don't want to repeat themselves, it's a good moment to reinvent their style.

4 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Im hopeful for the opposite. I want them to stay as Punk Rock as possible. I don't mind experimentation but i just want the punk rock feel and sound at its core. Im biased because i only listen to pop punk, punk, and some metal here and there and 0 other musical genres, but still xP 

I get that, I wouldn't really mind another punk album because I love that genre and I won't get fed up with it :P

But experimentation with electronic sounds can be interesting and it doesn't have to mean there can't be a punk core to the songs. Some songs they did with The Network could easily be Green Day songs and it would be awesome and punk af in my opinion. That would be cool, but don't want to hear pop rock from them, because that's the most boring part of their catalog (Uno comes to mind as an example).

When it comes to electronic music, I'm no expert. I sometimes go to ambient/experimental/trance shows and I love that shit, but I don't really know anything about the genre.

Look, it goes without saying that I will buy the new album the day it’s released and listen to it non stop.

It is fun to speculate however, and if Butch Walker is indeed producing then I’m very very worried with how this could turn out.

Looking through his production list fills me with dread, because there’s not one album on there that I’m into. Frank Turner is one of my favourite artists, but his last album was an absolute disaster and I can’t help but notice who produced it...

If there’s one band I trust, it’s Green Day so let’s just see how this all plays out.

5 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Agreed. Sometimes it's done well, sometimes not. I think Muse's Uprising is a good example of when it's done well. The synths gave it a unique personality, but it's still a rock song at its core. If GD can incorporate them in a similar way then it could help them freshen up their sound while still sounding like GD.

Exactly that album I had in mind when I was thinking synths and stuff done well.

2 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

If there’s one band I trust, it’s Green Day so let’s just see how this all plays out.

I'll never trust them again after the "we're in the most prolific and creative time of our career. We're going epic af!". And after that we got 3 half assed albums. Revrad was okay but it was too  safe. I believe green day can create a revrad every two months if they want to. Man I really want them to experiment.

You guys can't be serious wishing that Green Day go into hip hop on next album...

I hope for a solid album, the've done so much in their carrer, explored lots of diffentent styles but never lost their unique sound. 

I really hope for a good record with all the best they can do, and I don't care if it sound more of the same

19 minutes ago, petros said:

I'll never trust them again after the "we're in the most prolific and creative time of our career. We're going epic af!". And after that we got 3 half assed albums. Revrad was okay but it was too  safe. I believe green day can create a revrad every two months if they want to. Man I really want them to experiment.

But that’s the thing about experimenting, when it works everyone says you’re a genius when it doesn’t... well. The Trilogy was an experiment and a risk coming off of 21CB. They didn’t want to repeat themselves so they went 180 degrees in the other direction. And three albums was an enormous undertaking it was anything but half assed.  If you want risk you have to accept that it might pay off and might not or you’ll get another “safe” predictable album. 

38 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But that’s the thing about experimenting, when it works everyone says you’re a genius when it doesn’t... well. The Trilogy was an experiment and a risk coming off of 21CB. They didn’t want to repeat themselves so they went 180 degrees in the other direction. And three albums was an enormous undertaking it was anything but half assed.  If you want risk you have to accept that it might pay off and might not or you’ll get another “safe” predictable album. 

The only experimental thing they did with the trilogy was to release 3 albums in 5 months. That doesn't mean anything about the music which for green day was as safe as it gets. So no, by any means wasn't trilogy an experimental project.

4 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

It is fun to speculate however, and if Butch Walker is indeed producing then I’m very very worried with how this could turn out.

Looking through his production list fills me with dread, because there’s not one album on there that I’m into. Frank Turner is one of my favourite artists, but his last album was an absolute disaster and I can’t help but notice who produced it...

Butch didn't do Frank Turner's last album, "Be More Kind"? Unless you were referring to Positive Songs for Negative People? Either way, I loved both of those albums. Like, I think this is one of the best songs Frank ever recorded.

1 hour ago, Alf said:

You guys can't be serious wishing that Green Day go into hip hop on next album...

I hope for a solid album, the've done so much in their carrer, explored lots of diffentent styles but never lost their unique sound. 

I really hope for a good record with all the best they can do, and I don't care if it sound more of the same

In terms of the way beats are made and the use of synths then I’ve nothing against it.

Really don’t think they should go in the pop direction. Realistically it won’t be fresh or exciting and will be no different to the new blink material, which whether you like or not hasn’t exactly produced a number one hit.

I'm always secretly hoping for Green Day to experiment with hip hop but really I don't mind which specific direction they go in. I just want them to go hard (or "maximum Green Day" to use a phrase they coined) with whatever they do. Something that's bold, ambitious and not safe is what I hope for.

2 hours ago, Alf said:

Not the whole album, but maybe one or two songs like that.   Bad Religion, Blink-182, R.E.M, Blue October (not to mention GREEN DAY) have all had one song featuring a rapper and all those were pretty fantastic songs.   

We are all doing what we do, and I guarantee I'm about to get into the whole "what will this album sound like" things because it's fun.   But we've got 12 albums from Green Day, we know that they give their Pop-Punk Rock a slightly different flavor each time around, and that's what we're getting this time as well. 

What will they add to the mix this time, I don't know.  It is easy to feel like they've done all that they could do, but they've got more to offer.  And I like to think that the best is yet to come.  :)

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Green Day already have Nightlife, you guys are just ungrateful. :P

Am I the only one that likes that song? *ducks*  It’s got a groove and some dark lyrics I think it’s edgy. 

11 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Green Day already have Nightlife, you guys are just ungrateful. :P

I like it! But more is always welcome and I won't be fully satisfied until they work with a legit hip hop artist :P 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Am I the only one that likes that song? *ducks*  It’s got a groove and some dark lyrics I think it’s edgy. 

I absolutely love the bass line and the whole instrumental. Vocals could be better, but it's not as bad as reddit makes it sound. :lol: What bugs me about it are the lyrics, they almost sound ironic, but they were probably meant seriously and some lines sound a bit cringy.

Just discovered this thread. Have been on this thread pretty much everyday but not been that active but after seeing this thread, I'm pretty excited.

It does seem that Butch Walker is the producer. If that's the case, I am kinda anxious looking at some of the things he's produced. But I'm not sure how much of a role he's had on those albums and I don't think a producer will need to do too much for GD, I'm sure they know what kind of sound they want to do.

It's kinda cool that just like in 2016, a bunch of the 2000's pop punk bands are making music again. Green Day, Sum 41, Blink 182 etc. I do hope they kind of change from the trilogy/revrad sound for this album, something more in the vein of 21CB would be cool but I don't want them to just make the same album again. I don't want them to do a political album either unless they have something interesting and different to say

A sort of hip-hop feel I'd be unsure about. I'm sure they could pull off that sound, whether they will is another story. Nightlife had a mixed reaction to say the least.

That girl on Nightlife surely doesn't count as a raper collab. And I don't want a hip hop album at all. Obviously that's not green day's territory. Some electronics, a poppier sound maybe is what I'd love for the shake of experimenting and doing something new since I can't see which other directions of rock music they could try and still make it sound fresh.

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Something like Kill The DJ but with synths :shifty:

I am so down for more funky green day 

I think it's all about experimenting in a sensible way. When artists experiment a "sell-out" manner, it's usually because they went too far outside of what makes sense for their sound. Basically, a band needs to stick one foot in each genre, not just jump into the other pool, to experiment in an optimal way. Fall Out Boy and PATD get flack from fans because they went too far outside of what is sensible. They basically left behind their old sound and jumped into a new genre. Bands that experimented well were the Clash, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. They tried new things with their music, but it always sounded like their signature sound. Green Day have a very specific sound, so they have to find a way to stay true to themselves while still being creative. They can't just drop a Post Malone-sounding record or they'll look dumb. Whatever direction they take, they need to bring their signature sound with them. Their side projects are great examples of this. FBHT sounds like a version of Green Day from the 50s. It's Green Day with a twist of something new. Same with Money Money 2020. Yes a weird and new sound, but if you peel off the production stuff, it's an album full of classic Green Day sounding songs (and covers). Songs like Kill the DJ are a good example of experimenting. Overall, I just want good music. But the key to experimenting and not selling-out or making cringey music is to stay grounded in your sound and put your other foot in a new pool.

I feel the trilogy did try new things with Nightlife being how it is, Kill the DJ being a more dance-y type deal, etc.

If they DO experiment i'd want it to be like Nimrod, which was experimental but its still a rock album and punk album through and through.

1 hour ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

I am so down for more funky green day 

Same. KTDJ is a proof they can pull it off and I wouldn't mind throwing a bit of ska/reggae into that sound, and I don't care it's what Clash did 30 years ago. :P

Politics should take a backseat for a while.  I think it's time for a more personal album.  It doesn't have to be Billie Joe's life story, but I think Green Day have aced the "state of the world" style songs and should move on to other interesting topics.

I don't really have a wish-list for ALBUM 13, because I'm always very happy with what this band does.  If I could have one thing though, it would be this:  A Mirt Dirnt song!  A Tre Cool Song!   A ballad from either of them would be so special! 

As for Green Day doing rap, I'd say maybe go all out for a fun side-project instead.   I'm seeing so much hate for the upcoming Blink-182 / Lil Wayne Tour it's ridiculous.  Most people are blocked into certain genres and don't deviate.  I personally think it's a cool idea, but millions of Blink fans are jumping ship on the band just because of the tour.  And Lil Wayne fans - I'm not seeing any of them even comment on the situation, because they aren't on the Blink pages.  But I guarantee it's either the same level of hatred, or they simply aren't going to sit through a Blink-182 show to see an artist they like. I hope that all the negativity is just internet trolls and the tour is a success.  But it's got disaster written all over it.  

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Something like Kill The DJ but with synths :shifty:

Yes! That song would have been so much better if not in the trilogy. But it had the same problem all trilogy had. Terrible sounding guitars(which actually worked better for this track only) non lyrics at bridges since they had so much material to work on and uninspired chorus for the same reason.

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

I think it's all about experimenting in a sensible way. When artists experiment a "sell-out" manner, it's usually because they went too far outside of what makes sense for their sound. Basically, a band needs to stick one foot in each genre, not just jump into the other pool, to experiment in an optimal way. Fall Out Boy and PATD get flack from fans because they went too far outside of what is sensible. They basically left behind their old sound and jumped into a new genre. Bands that experimented well were the Clash, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc. They tried new things with their music, but it always sounded like their signature sound. Green Day have a very specific sound, so they have to find a way to stay true to themselves while still being creative. They can't just drop a Post Malone-sounding record or they'll look dumb. Whatever direction they take, they need to bring their signature sound with them. Their side projects are great examples of this. FBHT sounds like a version of Green Day from the 50s. It's Green Day with a twist of something new. Same with Money Money 2020. Yes a weird and new sound, but if you peel off the production stuff, it's an album full of classic Green Day sounding songs (and covers). Songs like Kill the DJ are a good example of experimenting. Overall, I just want good music. But the key to experimenting and not selling-out or making cringey music is to stay grounded in your sound and put your other foot in a new pool.

I seriously would prefer a post malone sounding album way more than a panic or fob sounding one. It's obvious from the start that bands like fob and panic just played whatever was mainstream at the time so they kept doing that. Problem is they started as pop punk bands and one of them isn't even a band anymore and the other became a self of their former self. I can still enjoy some fob songs to tell you the truth but the change in their sound they did just to stay relevant is ridiculous. When I said I wouldn't mind for green day to have a poppier sound I by no means meant I'd like them to go full fob or panic. There's good pop-rock and then there are imagine dragons and fob.

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived