Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

12 minutes ago, kripack said:

Special is awesome. But I think it works because it's a side project. I'd be disappointed to get something like that from Blink, and more so - Green Day. I don't mind if they experiment with electronic sound in side projects though. Network was great.

With this way of thinking though does green day evolve or keeps making insomniacs? (i love insomniac my second favorite green day album) Or does blink ever make self tittled their undisputed masterpiece?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, petros said:

With this way of thinking though does green day evolve or keeps making insomniacs? (i love insomniac my second favorite green day album) Or does blink ever make self tittled their undisputed masterpiece?

Well but that’s simply not the case. In my opinion GD have a signature sound that they have been able to change, adapt and experiment with. Sure, staying within the alternative rock boundaries, but also using that as a departure point to do different things, musically and more in general from a stylistic perspective. Nimrod is not Insomniac, as Warning is not Nimrod, AI is not Warning etc etc etc. There are more and less inspired records, but GD have never been derivative in a negative way, IMHO. For this reason I don’t think they have the need to break too drastically with their artistic identity. There’s many sounds and styles they can experiment with staying within alt rock.

18 minutes ago, J a c said:

Well but that’s simply not the case. In my opinion GD have a signature sound that they have been able to change, adapt and experiment with. Sure, staying within the alternative rock boundaries, but also using that as a departure point to do different things, musically and more in general from a stylistic perspective. Nimrod is not Insomniac, as Warning is not Nimrod, AI is not Warning etc etc etc. There are more and less inspired records, but GD have never been derivative in a negative way, IMHO. For this reason I don’t think they have the need to break too drastically with their artistic identity. There’s many sounds and styles they can experiment with staying within alt rock.

What about the dance music sound of Kill the DJ and Nightlife?

22 minutes ago, petros said:

There's a difference between evolving and completely changing the genre. I don't want  green day to become just another band with sampled drums, vocoders,  and guitars buried so deep in the mix you can't even hear them. I'm sure they could make it work, cuz in the core of every song there's a melody and green day are definitely capable of coming up with great melodies. There are tons of different sounds they could achieve with just real drums, guitars and some keys. I guess I'm just against overproduction, tons of unnecessary fx and pre-recorded stuff on live shows.  Not saying that it's bad, it just wouldn't be green day for me anymore.

20 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

They're outliers on otherwise garage rock/power-pop records.

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

With all the necessary distinctions, I would compare that to Rock the Casbah. It's dance music contaminating punk rock, I would not consider that a Clash departure from alternative rock. Actually, I consider Sandinista and Combat Rock a great example of how different musical genres can amazingly merge with punk rock, and I think the Trilogy definitely attempted to do something similar (IMHO succeeding in part). 

EDIT: I think they would be able to do something similar and better with other genres as well, Tim Armstrong is a master with mixing hip hop and punk, new wave music did the same with punk and electronic/disco. This does not mean going fully Panic at the Disco or Fallout, but maybe it's just because I'm kinda bored by this contemporary wave of poppish bubblegum rock.

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Nightlife is the worst song Green Day has recorded 

7 hours ago, petros said:

Now you're talking. I don't post my music opinions to irritate people or act like I'm a special little snowflake. I just happen to not want anymore punk rock from green day. 

(special is awesome you prick take that back) 

Not really sure why you’re bothered about a new Green Day release when they’re primarily a punk band. I want them to push themselves and be fresh but still sound like themselves and be interesting. 

5 hours ago, J a c said:

With all the necessary distinctions, I would compare that to Rock the Casbah. It's dance music contaminating punk rock, I would not consider that a Clash departure from alternative rock. Actually, I consider Sandinista and Combat Rock a great example of how different musical genres can amazingly merge with punk rock, and I think the Trilogy definitely attempted to do something similar (IMHO succeeding in part). 

EDIT: I think they would be able to do something similar and better with other genres as well, Tim Armstrong is a master with mixing hip hop and punk, new wave music did the same with punk and electronic/disco. This does not mean going fully Panic at the Disco or Fallout, but maybe it's just because I'm kinda bored by this contemporary wave of poppish bubblegum rock.

Combat Rock is a perfect example of the sort of experimentation Green Day could easily do to freshen their sound and push themselves, rather than either keep repeating themselves or go down the synths and programmed drums route.

For the record I like synths and computer beats, but that’s not what I listen to green day for

6 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Kill the DJ is hardly disco or EDM, it’s still guitar heavy and sounds a lot like Green Day

They should go full troll - hear me out.

Keep King For A Day - but instead of Careless Whisper in the breakdown;

Baby Shark

57 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Not really sure why you’re bothered about a new Green Day release when they’re primarily a punk band. I want them to push themselves and be fresh but still sound like themselves and be interesting. 

Combat Rock is a perfect example of the sort of experimentation Green Day could easily do to freshen their sound and push themselves, rather than either keep repeating themselves or go down the synths and programmed drums route.

For the record I like synths and computer beats, but that’s not what I listen to green day for

Kill the DJ is hardly disco or EDM, it’s still guitar heavy and sounds a lot like Green Day

I remember an interview about ¡UNO! where Billie described Kill The DJ as a “four-on-the-floor”

Green Day should not be making teeny bopper music. They're almost 50, I think they should stick to their bread and butter: Rock and Roll. They've always had a strong pop element to their music but that doesn't mean they need to sink to Fall Out Boy levels of low. I like to think that whatever record they made with Butch Walker is a straight up Green Day record that just so happens to be produced by Butch Walker. Then again, I never expected to hear Blink put out something like Blame It On My Youth.

24 minutes ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

Green Day should not be making teeny bopper music. They're almost 50, I think they should stick to their bread and butter: Rock and Roll. They've always had a strong pop element to their music but that doesn't mean they need to sink to Fall Out Boy levels of low. I like to think that whatever record they made with Butch Walker is a straight up Green Day record that just so happens to be produced by Butch Walker. Then again, I never expected to hear Blink put out something like Blame It On My Youth.

Tbh...I'm kinda scared. 

1 hour ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Tbh...I'm kinda scared. 

Why are you scared?

The Longshot music was mature and pages homage to classic rock sounds. I love when Billie writes those kind of songs.

Reasons I am nervous for this upcoming album:

-Butch Walker, a producer with a record of producing some very "poppy" rock albums such as Weezer (the newer stuff that is) and Fallout Boy. I don't want Green Day to sound so polished and clean as those bands do, as poppy.

-Green Day recently joined crush music, crush also manages Weezer, Panic at the Disco, and Fallout Boy (no risrespect to any of them.) Now it seems like these are all bands who kind of put out whatever they can to get to the top of the charts. Green Day joining crush might suggest that they want to get to the top of the music charts and wanted help with doing so. 

Summer will start in one week! Let‘s see if there is something coming.

1 minute ago, steve46 said:

Especially now that Longshot is done. I’m actually just hoping we get an announcement of something before the end of June.

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Especially now that Longshot is done. I’m actually just hoping we get an announcement of something before the end of June.

I hope for this too.

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Especially now that Longshot is done finished for the time being. I’m actually just hoping we get an announcement of something before the end of June.

FTFY. 

(It hurts too much otherwise.)

36 minutes ago, steve46 said:

34 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@Matt. we need you!!!

Anyway, when American Idiot came out, we as fans were known as Idiot Nation!!! It won’t be long before we’re Asshole Nation (assuming the leak is true of course LOL)

14 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

I like the Simple Creatures tune. But it's not at all what I want from Green Day.

Exactly they are two separate entities and so is blink and ATL

So I was looking on Twitter for any tweets about the new album and I found this

Not sure who she is or where she’s from, but apparently some radio station said it’s coming out in December...hope it’s not actually that far off

6 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Not sure who she is or where she’s from, but apparently some radio station said it’s coming out in December...hope it’s not actually that far off

Not credible

4 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Too many flowers and sparkles for one Twitter username 19.gif 

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived