Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

I'd love a concept album! Not with wizards and dragons of course but another one with characters revolving around love but it's more about the social state of the world. I'd be all in even if it's not that original for green day since they've done it twice. 

I think Billie Joe would be more focused with his lyrics if he wrote from the perspective of others and had a theme he had to follow. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they don't have much left to do in the realm of concept albums. I can't see how they could do another one withought repeating themselves, unless the topic would be completely different. An album about dwarves and dragons would be something new, but another love story that comments on politics/society would be a rehash of Idiot and Breakdown. Plus Billie's political songs have been kind of uninspired since EJN.

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

they don't have much left to do in the realm of concept albums. I can't see how they could do another one withought repeating themselves, unless the topic would be completely different. An album about dwarves and dragons would be something new, but another love story that comments on politics/society would be a rehash of Idiot and Breakdown. Plus Billie's political songs have been kind of uninspired since EJN.

Ha! They could do a concept album based on Live Freaky Die Freaky, jumping on the wave of Once upon a time in Hollywood. Best love story/social commentary ever  39.gif

what about an whole "antagonist" concept album.. something like bang bang with a story.. i mean it would fuck billies head but it would be something new haha

3 minutes ago, Austrian_Insomniac said:

what about an whole "antagonist" concept album.. something like bang bang with a story.. i mean it would fuck billies head but it would be something new haha

a whole record that gets fucked from todays press because its so controversy

I found it refreshing how Billie wrote without the use of characters on Rev Rad, incredibly personal lyrics with no front, just his own thoughts and feelings laid bare. Writing through characters has its place too, and can also be personal in its own way (as it is on AI and 21st CB), but I like it even more when it's from a truly personal perspective like that.

8 minutes ago, Austrian_Insomniac said:

a whole record that gets fucked from todays press because its so controversy

Haha he could invite his friend Morrissey over and do a full blown nazi album 

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

Haha he could invite his friend Morrissey over and do a full blown nazi album 

ahahahaahahahahaha

Oh yeah I forgot Bang Bang, there was a one off bit of character writing there. I love stuff like that where it's written from the pov of a totally different character (rather than as just a representation of the writer like Christian and Gloria etc), I'd take some more songs like that. If he was going to write using characters or do a concept album that would be the most interesting approach.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I found it refreshing how Billie wrote without the use of characters on Rev Rad, incredibly personal lyrics with no front, just his own thoughts and feelings laid bare. Writing through characters has its place too, and can also be personal in its own way, but I prefer when it's truly personal like that.

I feel like it doesn't really matter if he uses characters, because he's always writing about himself anyway. But I agree it's a refreshing change that he wasn't hiding behind characters on the trilogy and especially revrad.

14 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I feel like it doesn't really matter if he uses characters, because he's always writing about himself anyway. But I agree it's a refreshing change that he wasn't hiding behind characters on the trilogy and especially revrad.

Yeah like 21st CB for example has some really personal songs (eg Restless Heart Syndrome) even though characters are used. And a song like JOS is totally about Billie even though it's told through characters. I think it still makes a difference when there's no characters though, one isn't necessarily better than the other but it feels different. A song like Somewhere Now feels extra extra personal and if it was done with a character it wouldn't be the same.

13 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

There was Julianna Homicide from Dirty Rotten Bastards

I'd rather have jos and restless which I think are masterpieces than these stupid "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" lines. 

Bang bang and troubled times are the songs with my favorite lyrics in revrad and I believe both of them are not written from a personal standpoint. So I guess that's just my taste. I grew up on American idiot and 21st, reading and overanalyzing these lyrics so it must have constructed my lyrical taste like that. 

31 minutes ago, petros said:

I'd rather have jos and restless which I think are masterpieces than these stupid "my name is Billie and I'm freaking out" lines. 

Bang bang and troubled times are the songs with my favorite lyrics in revrad and I believe both of them are not written from a personal standpoint. So I guess that's just my taste. I grew up on American idiot and 21st, reading and overanalyzing these lyrics so it must have constructed my lyrical taste like that. 

I agree Bang Bang is good, but "we live in troubled times" is such a cringeworthy line. If has has nothing to say except for that maybe he should write about something else.

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I agree Bang Bang is good, but "we live in troubled times" is such a cringeworthy line. If has has nothing to say except for that maybe he should write about something else.

I think the lyrics of Troubled Times in the verses are really good though. And the bridge

I don't find that line to be cringeworthy though, just a bit cliché and placeholder-ish but it's fine. I think during the verses, there is more focus on the lyrics whereas during the chorus, the focus is mainly on the vocals

23 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't know. I like it. The verses have clever lyrics too. So he elaborates on the verses and on the chorus he comes to the conclusion. If that makes sense. That's how I view it. We live in troubled times doesn't sound cringey imo. Especially in the album of songs with super cringe worthy material. 

1 hour ago, Austrian_Insomniac said:

songs like bang bang, having a blast and uptight would be refreshing

Uptight is from a personal perspective not a character. He was pretty depressed during the writing for Nimrod. 

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think the lyrics of Troubled Times in the verses are really good though. And the bridge

I don't find that line to be cringeworthy though, just a bit cliché and placeholder-ish but it's fine. I think during the verses, there is more focus on the lyrics whereas during the chorus, the focus is mainly on the vocals

46 minutes ago, petros said:

I don't know. I like it. The verses have clever lyrics too. So he elaborates on the verses and on the chorus he comes to the conclusion. If that makes sense. That's how I view it. We live in troubled times doesn't sound cringey imo. Especially in the album of songs with super cringe worthy material. 

Yeah it makes sense that the line is something like a summary of the verses, so it doesn't deserve to be criticized for being too simple etc., but idk it just seems uninspired to me. I enjoy the music in Troubled Times but it's nor very good lyrically imo. Not just the chorus but the verses too. It's full of phrases that sound like he was trying to be deep.

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah it makes sense that the line is something like a summary of the verses, so it doesn't deserve to be criticized for being too simple etc., but idk it just seems uninspired to me. I enjoy the music in Troubled Times but it's nor very good lyrically imo. Not just the chorus but the verses too. It's full of phrases that sound like he was trying to be deep.

I agree. It’s a little generic and slightly preachy and the slow tempo makes it a downer of a song. GD are usually good at writing heavy dark lyrics to an upbeat tempo but this one is a fail imo for breaking with that formula. It’s one of my least favorite songs on RevRad that I often skip. 

I'd argue that Troubled Times is the best song lyrically on RevRad. Well maybe not the best but one of them

48 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Uptight is from a personal perspective not a character. He was pretty depressed during the writing for Nimrod. 

i dont mind i am too depressed

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Uptight seems to be one of the songs actually written at the time of Nimrod. We know a lot of those Nimrod songs were ready around the time of Dookie but I can bet on the fact this wasn't one of them. 

So Billie was around 25 when writing the tune and I'm approaching my 27th birthday and I'll admit from 25 to where am I now has been one of the weirdest transitional moments of my life. The highs can be really high and the lows can get extremely low and you can swing between the two really quickly. I think the contrast between the first part of the song and second part of the song captures that feeling through the instrumentation. 

In your mid 20's you're old enough to have experienced real important events and take on real adult responsibilities but you're still somewhat lost in them and your expectations. Not to mention that everyone else around you at your age is lost as well. You may be ready to move on from kid shenanigans and you have one foot moving forward but the other one may want to stay planted in the days of yesterday in some way. 

Troubled Times is one of Green Day's worst songs in my opinion. I appreciate the lyrics and subject of the song but it is the only GD tune, along with Drama Queen, that I find a chore to listen to. The word I would use to describe it is boring... I know that might be a poor choice of word from an analytical point of view but it's just the emotion I feel when that song comes on. I always skip it. 

Bridge is decent though, but I often can't be bothered going through the first couple of minutes just to enjoy that part of the song.

There are a lot of GD songs where the chorus is a simple phrase and repeats itself, such as Troubled Times, 99 Revolutions, 21 Guns, etc. I think it's there for the musical part, while the lyrics quality lies in the verses and bridge. I like the fact that Billie uses simple phrases. Even his genius lines are made of simple words. He doesn't try to get pass that and look for sophisticated stuff, on the contrary he takes the simple expressions, digs them and puts them in a way we didn't see before. I love Troubled Times overall. "What good is love and peace on earth, if it's exclusive." "Some things will never overcome, if we don't seek it." Damn. And all the other lines... They played it in Brussels on February 2nd the day just before coming to Paris in 2017, and I thought: "why didn't you play it in Paris, since this song is about the Paris attack in 2015, you little shit?" :lol:

So, Billie has been playing Green Day songs at the Longshot shows. Could that mean Billie and Jeff are gearing up for the new album and tour?

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived