Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

On 5/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Beerjeezus said:

I was surprised that Dreamcatcher didn't come out with Longshot.

Totally would have fit the Longshot perfectly.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Totally would have fit the Longshot perfectly.

I wonder if any Longshot songs would end up on a future Green Day album, if not this next one (assuming the leak is wrong of course LOL). Fuck Time started out as a FHT song I believe and it ended up on ¡DOS!

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Well yeah anyone can have the opinion that Green Day hasn't been as good after 21st CB. This is the first time I'm seeing that treated as if it's a widely accepted truth that like 99% of people believe though lol. Like, after Rev Rad I didn't get an everyone thinks Billie is past it now vibe so I dunno why it suddenly seems that way just because it appears the new album's round the corner. Not criticising anyone for their individual opinion but it's just weird that suddenly seems to be the collective pov.

I definitely don't think it's the collective pov; I think it's more so because some people posting in this thread didn't post much during the RevRad era.  People who were posting a lot then seemed to like or love it.  Anytime I've seen favorite albums lists, here or reddit, I've seen it average in the middle.  I think it's the people who didn't care much for it coming back now.

The cynicalness annoys me too.  People are allowed to have their opinions on albums, but why drag an album you haven't even heard?  I tend to avoid album speculation threads for this reason.  They tend to devolve into what people personally want and people start criticizing past albums or the band members themselves.  It's impossible for a band to make an album that will appeal to everyone.  Just look at this thread so far- more like Dookie, no, more like 21CB, less politics, no, more politics, etc.  A band should always make the album that they want to make.  That's what will lead to quality music.  Not everyone will like it, but that doesn't make it a bad album.

19 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I definitely don't think it's the collective pov; I think it's more so because some people posting in this thread didn't post much during the RevRad era.  People who were posting a lot then seemed to like or love it.  Anytime I've seen favorite albums lists, here or reddit, I've seen it average in the middle.  I think it's the people who didn't care much for it coming back now.

Think thats a fair comment, especially in my case. I found RevRad ok at the time so didn't really have much to add to the discussion at the time, as well as wanting to avoid certain individuals that now appear to have gone from the forum. I think the album's ok, probably is middle of the road for their discography. All I would say is that it felt like people were overly positive purely because it was a new Green Day release, rather than the quality of the album being overly impressive. 

The cynicalness annoys me too.  People are allowed to have their opinions on albums, but why drag an album you haven't even heard?  I tend to avoid album speculation threads for this reason.  They tend to devolve into what people personally want and people start criticizing past albums or the band members themselves.  It's impossible for a band to make an album that will appeal to everyone.  Just look at this thread so far- more like Dookie, no, more like 21CB, less politics, no, more politics, etc.  A band should always make the album that they want to make.  That's what will lead to quality music.  Not everyone will like it, but that doesn't make it a bad album.

Think thats pretty much the consensus. The album should be inspired. A pop sounding album will almost certainly have ulterior motives than just being inspired to do so as its never really been on their radar before, or even present in their social media. Surely criticisms of previous work has been constructive and as a way of showing what is wanted, rather than an excuse to chat shit? Thats at least been my intention.

4 minutes ago, Cunt said:

If that’s the track list we are fucked.

No, I actually really like it

17 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Why ?

I think because they aren't particularly inspired.  

That and the fact that some of them hint at Billie's not being very good at wokeness.

7 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Trilogy can be excused by the circumstances, but RevRad can't

I think there were 'circumstances' for rev rad too, Billie writing/recording/going through the process completely sober for the first time in... Forever? It must be much more scary to put your heart on the line in this situation. 

(BTW this is not all aimed at @Beerjeezus

However, I don't think he wrote all of the trilogy badly. It took me a while to get used to the new style, and the first time I heard it I was disappointed, but only because I hadn't expected it, I don't know what I was expecting tbh. I now love the trilogy, as I do all the albums. Shenanigans was another one I had to warm to. 

They have yet to release one album, or even song, that I have had to remove from my playlist of 'all green day, fbht + longshot' songs. OK, every so often there are some I skip, that's down to my mood on the day and if it's been played 3 times in a row or something (some songs 3 times in a row is just fine!). 

I'm excited for the new album, whatever form it takes. And based on the ignoring of my previous suggestions/ideas, I appear to be in a minority amongst those posting by not really caring how it sounds (within normal green day sound plus a tweak/experiment here and there). I want it to be true, fun, melodic. If that involves a mix of styles, like a live show does, that's cool.

I love and trust them as a band, I will adjust if I need to, I will listen on repeat. If they're happy with it, I know I'll love it! 

Unbelievable. As far as i’m concerned, people very well could be speculating something that someone popped out of their ass to cause controversy, and doubt the very reason why we love this band so much. Remember the whole “Fuck These People” debacle? And how just because it was on a setlist, suddenly people thought it was a song to come out soon? If that didn’t come to pass, why the fuck do people think this 4chan post will? And yes, while RevRad was playing it safe in hindsight, it was a necessary step to show Billie’s growth since rehab, and to say “This is not the end, and there is much more to come.” I thought it was a great album, with a wonderful tour (despite the cliche setlists) that got all of us happy to see Green Day back in action again.

I say wait until Green Day actually gives us something to go off of before spouting doom and gloom for the boys.

41 minutes ago, Goofygoldfish said:

I think there were 'circumstances' for rev rad too, Billie writing/recording/going through the process completely sober for the first time in... Forever? It must be much more scary to put your heart on the line in this situation. 

However, I don't think he wrote all of the trilogy badly. It took me a while to get used to the new style, and the first time I heard it I was disappointed, but only because I hadn't expected it, I don't know what I was expecting tbh. I now love the trilogy, as I do all the albums. Shenanigans was another one I had to warm to. 

They have yet to release one album, or even song, that I have had to remove from my playlist of 'all green day, fbht + longshot' songs. OK, every so often there are some I skip, that's down to my mood on the day and if it's been played 3 times in a row or something (some songs 3 times in a row is just fine!). 

I'm excited for the new album, whatever form it takes. And based on the ignoring of my previous suggestions/ideas, I appear to be in a minority amongst those posting by not really caring how it sounds (within normal green day sound plus a tweak/experiment here and there). I want it to be true, fun, melodic. If that involves a mix of styles, like a live show does, that's cool.

I love and trust them as a band, I will adjust if I need to, I will listen on repeat. If they're happy with it, I know I'll love it! 

That's true. RevRad was a comeback album in a way. That's why it's understandable that it's safe. It was as if they were getting back on track. It made sense for RevRad to be the way it is, sort of an essence of what you'd expect from a Green Day album with some nostalgia thrown in. Now it's time to move on, though. They could keep doing "their thing" like many older bands do, but I believe they can do better.

I don't think Trilogy is bad, but it needed more crafting before release. Straightforward rock is fun but the lyrics needed more work and the simplistic sound sometimes didn't do the songs much justice.

We're bitching about everything but it's not that bad. We're just spoiled :P

22 hours ago, Too domb to die said:

I think because they aren't particularly inspired.  

Just so I am clear .

You are complaining that rumoured song titles aren’t as good as you think they should be ?  

You are complaining about song titles of songs that you haven’t heard yet or even know to be actually real ?

Am I missing something ?  

Hey, GDC is about making a discussion out of very minor things. We can make a 100+ page thread about something very minor so a 4chan "leak" is bound to create discussion. The reason many of us think that there might be some truth to the 4chan information is because it's happened before with the RevRad tracklisting. Granted that was a different circumstance and this "leak" is claiming to know a lot more i.e. about the sound of the album but it can't be ruled out as a possibility

16 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Hey, GDC is about making a discussion out of very minor things. We can make a 100+ page thread about something very minor so a 4chan "leak" is bound to create discussion. The reason many of us think that there might be some truth to the 4chan information is because it's happened before with the RevRad tracklisting. Granted that was a different circumstance and this "leak" is claiming to know a lot more i.e. about the sound of the album but it can't be ruled out as a possibility

And don’t forget, that demo of 21stCB actually managed to get leaked out late 2008. I’m still trying to figure out how. For all we know, it could be the band themselves leaking this stuff to get us talking, and well, here we are!!!

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

And don’t forget, that demo of 21stCB actually managed to get leaked out late 2008. I’m still trying to figure out how. For all we know, it could be the band themselves leaking this stuff to get us talking, and well, here we are!!!

I doubt Green Day are leaking information on 4chan tbh :lol:

5 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I wonder if any Longshot songs would end up on a future Green Day album, if not this next one (assuming the leak is wrong of course LOL). Fuck Time started out as a FHT song I believe and it ended up on ¡DOS!

That would be cool! But I’d don’t think they’ll be doing double or triple albums anytime soon to fit new stuff and old stuff too.  Do bands have b-sides anymore? Haha. There’s no more CD or 45 singles anymore it seems whole albums on vinyl or the single one song download I dunno.

Oh Girl and Dreamcatcher have been talked about so much and those clips of those songs we have floating around are amazing. It would be great to have them see the light of day. They probably would have been perfect Longshot songs. If the Longshot had another album! That would be great!

Some of the reaction to FBHT type stuff being on the Trilogy was so negative and stupid. But of course maybe those who complained don’t have anything better to do and are really boring and don’t know what it’s like to have fun. Maybe keep FBHT and Longshot special and separate for the people who get how awesome that stuff is and the shiny overproduced Green Day stuff for the masses. I love the shiny stuff too! And with Green Day and Billie Joe Armstrong more is never enough for the fans! We are all so diverse there is love for all the different types of records.

However, FBHT is from around the 21CBD era and was written and toured and presented as different from GD. I think somewhere there are actual quotes of Billie saying he didn’t like being in GD at that time. I think they lost their freedom after the monster that was American Idiot and that’s really sad. Like 21CBD was literally American Idiot part two. 

I want them to be happy and I want them to have their freedom. People who complain about them not being overproduced or overworked or spit-shined should probably go out and live a life so they can appreciate the different albums and different sounds Green Day brings. There’s so much out there.

Anyway, back to the point: Dreamcatcher and Oh Girl on the new album would be amazing! 

I hope they do more solos on the new record, like Billie’s killer guitar solos throughout the Trilogy, Mike’s epic bass solo on Dirty Rotten Bastards, and most recently, Tré’s drum solo on Bang Bang!!!

The only 4chan leaks I'm interested in are Pokémon Sword and Shield leaks.

When I scrolled past Billies latest Instagram post this morning (with the 'memorial napkin' lol) I thought for a second that he had posted a date that was related to the album and 
eca.jpg 

16 hours ago, Goofygoldfish said:

I could have written this. It's exactly what I've been thinking as I read through this thread especially the bit about Rev Rad. 

I haven't been here for quite some time, so I was surprised to read about the rumours of a new album at this point. What also surprises me is the negative tone of the whole discussion. Maybe I missed something, but as far as I know, the initial reaction to RevRad was fairly postive. Reading through this thread, you could get the impression that critics and fans agree that RevRad is a mediocre or lackluster album and I just don't think that's true. Critics liked the album, and so did most of the fans that I know. Music is very subjective so I know that there are various opinions. Yes, RevRad is a typical GD album, but that isn't a bad thing. Not at all. We are indeed very spoiled. GD hasn't really made a bad studio album at all, if you ask me. Sure, some of them are better than others, but even their weakest efforts are still fairly good, compared to the stuff that some other rock bands have put out over the years.

Regarding the leak...Well, I don't know. First of all, it is literally impossible to judge the quality of a song based on its title. I'm sorry, I could not care less about the names of the songs. They can just call them a,b,c,d,e,..., and it would not bother me 😂. I also don't really care about the style, as long as it's good! There are good and bad rock songs and there are good and bad pop songs 😂. The problem with rock bands that start making pop music is usually that they make BAD pop music. Look at Paramore though. They showed how such a transition can be successful. So as long as the music is good, I'm gonna be happy! Even though I wouldn't mind if they made another Insomniac-like, agressive punk rock album.

Regarding the FOB comparison: I highly doubt that Green Day would EVER make such a step. It always seemed to me as if FOB was just trying to stay relevant and to be played on the radio as much as possible. It just did not seem like a natural or sincere transition but more like a try to appeal to the masses. Why should Green Day make a song like 'Young and Menace'? No one would take them seriously anymore. I just can't picture it. Not at all. So just relax 😃.

4 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I haven't been here for quite some time, so I was surprised to read about the rumours of a new album at this point. What also surprises me is the negative tone of the whole discussion. Maybe I missed something, but as far as I know, the initial reaction to RevRad was fairly postive. Reading through this thread, you could get the impression that critics and fans agree that RevRad is a mediocre or lackluster album and I just don't think that's true. Critics liked the album, and so did most of the fans that I know. Music is very subjective so I know that there are various opinions. Yes, RevRad is a typical GD album, but that isn't a bad thing. Not at all. We are indeed very spoiled. GD hasn't really made a bad studio album at all, if you ask me. Sure, some of them are better than others, but even their weakest efforts are still fairly good, compared to the stuff that some other rock bands have put out over the years.

Rev Rad faced mixed reviews but I think there was more positive reviews than there was negative. The initial fan reaction was positive as the album is a lot more of a focused effort than the trilogy but looking at Rev Rad it's just a snack and not really a meal. Most fans I know would slot Rev Rad as a middle of the pack album but that's also dependent on their personal views of 39 smooth, Warning, Nimrod and the Trilogy albums. 

Rev Rad has left all of us wanting and expecting more and there's nothing wrong with that because that tone was set by the band. 

Most of the criticism I've seen about RevRad is that it was a bit too safe and that some of the lyrics were not that great. Much like myself I find that most people have an understanding as to why they played it safe though, after the Trilogy and all. It's a good album and while I know they can do better it was the perfect thing release at the time imo. For me it brought the feeling of 'Green Day is finally BACK' and I immediately fell in love with the band all over again. I think they're in a good, confident, enough place now to start experimenting and pushing themselves and their sound a bit again. I strongly doubt we'll get something 'too safe' this time and can't wait for this upcoming album! 

Also I completely agree with @CherryBombs&Gasoline and can't believe people actually judge an album by its song titles, should the leak be true. Cringey or not, they don't really say anything about what the song is like. 

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived