Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

What I want out of the next album is for green day to be green day. We're not going to to get a whole album of one style of song, they haven't done that since insomniac. Maybe they'll have some synthy stuff mixed in to a couple songs but I highly doubt it's gunna be a whole album of it. I could see it being an upbeat album though, maybe Billie wanted to get all his sad songs out of the way with the Longshot, I could definitely see him in an interview saying something along the lines of him fighting hate with love in the Trump era for this album. Look at that Weezer song "if you want me to", that was produced by Butch and it totally fit Weezer's older style but more upbeat, I can see green day doing that more than I see them being fallout boy. Someone here said that Butch is represented by Crush, and I'm guessing that's the biggest reason they ended up with him, green day probably talked to their management about producers for the next album and I'm sure they suggested him and green day went with it. 

I feel like the next album will be a mix of balads, political songs, and some throwback style songs, just like revrad. I honestly wouldn't care if green day kept putting out "safe" albums the rest of their career, I think revrad was the album they needed to make at the time and it was a step in the right direction, I just hope the next one steps things up a bit lyrically. I don't think green day was trying to be themselves with the trilogy, and that's a big part of why it suffered, revrad was a bit more of a return for form

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first time on GDC before the release of a new GD album and I got to say, it's fun. People being convinced the album is gonna suck and some 'leak' on 4chan that freaks everybody out. I, too, have my doubts about some things but they're all based on what has happened before such as a decline in lyrics and terrible mixing. The new producer and his previous work doesn't say anything to me about what we'll get and like I said before I'm just thankful they actually have a producer this time around. Regarding the leak on 4chan I don't believe it but I can't for sure say it absolutely can't be true either. The titles sound a bit cringey but it's not like GD don't have their fair share of cringey songs already so it could be true 😅

My expectations for the album are pretty much non-existent at this point since we haven't heard shit from the band themselves. Right now I'm just getting really impatient and want some sort of announcement from them, even if it's just a post on Instagram confirming they're done recording! I can't wait for the things to come; to get some teasers, a release date for the first single, see what kind of art work they'll use, the first music video, tour announcements etc 😍

5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Idk, RevRad kinda made me doubt Billie a tad. Like the trilogy clearly had other factors that influenced the writing, but RevRad just seemed mediocre to me.

It depends on taste I guess but yeah I see what you mean. Trilogy can be excused by the circumstances, but RevRad can't. It's not a bad album but it's safe. I mean, if I was to describe what a "standard" Green Day album sounds like, it would be RevRad. I enjoy it, but the songwriting is sometimes too Trilogy-like especially in lyrics. It's good but Billie most likely still can do better.

5 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I feel like the next album will be a mix of balads, political songs, and some throwback style songs, just like revrad. I honestly wouldn't care if green day kept putting out "safe" albums the rest of their career, I think revrad was the album they needed to make at the time and it was a step in the right direction, I just hope the next one steps things up a bit lyrically. I don't think green day was trying to be themselves with the trilogy, and that's a big part of why it suffered, revrad was a bit more of a return for form

Yeah the change has to be inspired and still be 'them' but I do think they need to refresh themselves for the sake of their career and their music.

Even if it was just to Foo Fighters levels of change where they write music in the same style, but have loads of different ways of inspiring them. Dave's made a record in his garage, worked across the US and then been with arguably the best pop producer in the world in each of their last 3 records. Still sound like the Foo Fighters but they also sound fresh and inspired

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

It depends on taste I guess but yeah I see what you mean. Trilogy can be excused by the circumstances, but RevRad can't. It's not a bad album but it's safe. I mean, if I was to describe what a "standard" Green Day album sounds like, it would be RevRad. I enjoy it, but the songwriting is sometimes too Trilogy-like especially in lyrics. It's good but Billie most likely still can do better.

Of course, I don't listen to GD nearly as much as I used to which is probably why I'm slightly harsher on them :lol: but I do just think its boring to keep making the same album

I know people are worried and the expectations are high but I just hope no one in the GD circle takes a look in here and sees all the negativity around songs they haven’t heard yet.  We’re the diehard fans here and I don’t know if anyone has any concept of how hard it is to open yourself up and share your creativity with the world and then get judgment thrown back at you but for sensitive people it’s soul crushing. I know it’s something every artist deals with but personally I don’t know how they do it. I just want to be supportive until there’s something to actually hear and then I might decide I love this or don’t prefer that. Maybe it’s coming from a place of fear but some people seem overly harsh already and that’s a shame because GD rely on fans like us to spread positive vibes.  

1 minute ago, Joe. said:

Of course, I don't listen to GD nearly as much as I used to which is probably why I'm slightly harsher on them :lol: but I do just think its boring to keep making the same album

Yeah I agree

I think I'm skeptical because I just don't want another RevRad. RevRad was great but after 3 years, I'm a bit bored with it. I haven't heard it in a while and I do really enjoy it when I do listen to it but if they release another RevRad, I'll be REALLY disappointed. The band can do better than that. RevRad didn't really offer anything that new in terms of sound, lyrically it was decent but no stand out lyrics like on previous albums. I don't want anything like the Longshot either. I want something new

The song titles (if they are the real ones) I think are pretty meh but at the end of the day they're just titles. And I'm not really concerned about the opinions of some 4chan user because A) It's only 1 person's opinion and B) It's most likely bullshit that he's heard the album already

I agree about RevRad and think it was safe but I’m guessing they know that and they don’t plan to play it safe this time. They also knew as good as The Longshot songs were it was a side project so all signs so far seem to point to them knowing what they’re doing. I also like Butch’s response to the fan.  I think he gets it and will help (or has helped) GD deliver what they want. As long as Billie has a clear vision this time they’ll deliver. I’m also not worried about his songwriting, I think he’ll most likely surprise people with this.

I agree with everything @pacejunkie punk said in her last two posts, I don’t know how anyone can bare their soul and then have people go “that was crap”, not even a measured, considered response.  I am pretty sure I said this before Revrad was released but I think we have to remember this is a band that has given us Dookie and AI so that’s a hell of a back catalogue to live up to.  I agree also that the trilogy was a bit of a mess but when the songs individually come on my iPod, I’m often surprised how good they are, it’s like they haven’t registered.  I love Revrad but I can see the argument that it was a little on the safe side musically though I think Billie really bared his soul but I also see that that was what they needed to do at that point. I am very excited for the new album, yes, a little nervous but in some ways that’s good and it’s because I have such high expectations for what I know these boys can do. I’m ready!

If their new album is as good as Shenanigans, it will be the best thing they've done since American Idiot. Yes, that was a rather underhanded comment on the past 15 years or their discography, but I do really want a new Green Day album I can get excited about. I've become a grumpy ( shitty ) old man for too long when it comes to Green Day and I only expect the worst. 

Also that supposed tracklisting is probably true, because they're such mundane titles.... who would make those up?  you'd at least be imaginative with it.

2 hours ago, Asik said:

Trilogy was good. Brutal love is one of thr best songs billie has written. The forgotten, missing you were killers too. Revrad was good. Billie still has it

2 hours ago, petros said:

It's all subjective of course you can love these albums all you want. Thing is many fans in here and even more casual fans agree that green day haven't been that good after 21st.

3 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

If their new album is as good as Shenanigans, it will be the best thing they've done since American Idiot. Yes, that was a rather underhanded comment on the past 15 years or their discography, but I do really want a new Green Day album I can get excited about. I've become a grumpy ( shitty ) old man for too long when it comes to Green Day and I only expect the worst. 

Also that supposed tracklisting is probably true, because they're such mundane titles.... who would make those up?  you'd at least be imaginative with it.

You better not be saying Shenanigans is better than 21CB 😠

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I agree about RevRad and think it was safe but I’m guessing they know that and they don’t plan to play it safe this time. They also knew as good as The Longshot songs were it was a side project so all signs so far seem to point to them knowing what they’re doing. I also like Butch’s response to the fan.  I think he gets it and will help (or has helped) GD deliver what they want. As long as Billie has a clear vision this time they’ll deliver. I’m also not worried about his songwriting, I think he’ll most likely surprise people with this.

I hope you're right while at he same time I don't expect much.

36 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

Some 4chan troll for starters

38 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Some 4chan troll for starters

Isn't 4chan just a collective of trolls? I checked out the "leak" thread and to be honest I'm not buying in on it. There's no proper sources it's just someone writing a bunch of bs. Well, maybe later we will find it's not BS but there's nothing there shown by the OP that validates that any of it is true at this point in time. 

Also, just seeing some of the 4chan's users opinions on the genre or Green Day was just bad. One guy was trying to say how Blink 182 is way more relevant than Green Day because of the new song they put out. Meanwhile people who follow the genre have been ripping on Blink and not to mention that it's not even really Blink when it's only 2/3 of the band involved. 

Then again Blink fan boys literally have no bullshit detector. Atleast we can admit when max Green Day wasn't displayed on an album. Yes we are also biased as huge GD fans but I've read a ton of objective opinions here in this thread. 

We’ll know if the song list is legit as soon as the band start teasing the first single. The 4chan claims the first single is a track called Peace. If GD start using #peace or tease the word in any way than I will assume they were right about the rest of it and the song titles are real. I’m disregarding the other opinions about the sound because clearly the guy isn’t a fan so of course would hate anything they do. 

On one hand I dread the moment when they announce a single and it's what the leak called, on the other hand it will be fun to watch this thread erupt with BAD ALBUM CONFIRMED during the wait, only to find out it's not bad. That's my fave scenario at the moment. :P

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

On one hand I dread the moment when they announce a single and it's what the leak called, on the other hand it will be fun to watch this thread erupt with BAD ALBUM CONFIRMED during the wait, only to find out it's not bad. That's my fave scenario at the moment. :P

I cannot wait for the absolute meltdown when the leak was spot on and everyone desperately convinces themselves they love it.

Just now, Joe. said:

I cannot wait for the absolute meltdown when the leak was spot on and everyone desperately convinces themselves they love it.

Asddfgbhjkll reported for being too real

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

You better not be saying Shenanigans is better than 21CB

I prefer the '39 smooth, Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod era and since Shenanigans was made up with mostly the Bsides from those last 3 records i'm a little biased towards it. I didn't like 21st Century breakdown when it was first released, but my attitude has softened towards it over the past 7 years ( mainly, because of the trilogy ).  I don't mind 21st century breakdown or rev rad. I was really excited about both those records, but they just don't excite me as much unfortunately. I'll always get psyched during the build up for a new GD album, but as the years pass my hope for another true return to form fades.  Sorry for the Jaded old man black pill.

51 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Isn't 4chan just a collective of trolls? I checked out the "leak" thread and to be honest I'm not buying in on it. There's no proper sources it's just someone writing a bunch of bs. Well, maybe later we will find it's not BS but there's nothing there shown by the OP that validates that any of it is true at this point in time. 

Also, just seeing some of the 4chan's users opinions on the genre or Green Day was just bad. One guy was trying to say how Blink 182 is way more relevant than Green Day because of the new song they put out. Meanwhile people who follow the genre have been ripping on Blink and not to mention that it's not even really Blink when it's only 2/3 of the band involved. 

Then again Blink fan boys literally have no bullshit detector. Atleast we can admit when max Green Day wasn't displayed on an album. Yes we are also biased as huge GD fans but I've read a ton of objective opinions here in this thread. 

I mean yeah, it's a collection of trolls and nothing more, but that was kind of my point lol. I put no stock in any of the information in that alleged leak.

People have been saying sure, but we thought the RevRad track list was bogus until it wasn't. And that's true. But wasn't that well after the album had been officially announced? We don't have confirmation on who's producing this album, even though all signs are pointing to Butch Walker. Let alone a title, tracklisting, artwork or anything else concerning this record.

As for blink, I only listened to Blame it on My Youth once but I dug it. I'm solidly in the pro-Skiba camp, which may be an unpopular opinion.

5 hours ago, petros said:

Why wouldn't we question billie joe though after that dreadful trilogy, a just okay revrad and a forgettable longshot album? It's all subjective of course you can love these albums all you want. Thing is many fans in here and even more casual fans agree that green day haven't been that good after 21st.

This track list is obviously fake imo though. Full of cliché tittles that green day could have.

We all said the same thing about the Revolution Radio tracklist, that it can’t be real, but it turned out to be real! And as I’ve said, I really like the title As The World Turns, I could really see Billie write something like that!

35 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I mean yeah, it's a collection of trolls and nothing more, but that was kind of my point lol. I put no stock in any of the information in that alleged leak.

People have been saying sure, but we thought the RevRad track list was bogus until it wasn't. And that's true. But wasn't that well after the album had been officially announced? We don't have confirmation on who's producing this album, even though all signs are pointing to Butch Walker. Let alone a title, tracklisting, artwork or anything else concerning this record.

As for blink, I only listened to Blame it on My Youth once but I dug it. I'm solidly in the pro-Skiba camp, which may be an unpopular opinion.

Me too.  Alkaline Trio is probably my second fav band, for me Skiba is the best thing about Blink, never a Tom Delong fan.

Okay, I’ll be the one to say it, but, what page do you think we’ll be on by the time they make the first announcement? Right now, we’re on page 23

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

Okay, I’ll be the one to say it, but, what page do you think we’ll be on by the time they make the first announcement? Right now, we’re on page 23

50+

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived