Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

1 minute ago, Alf said:

Yeah, but when i say 'confort zone', Revrad is not what I am thinking of. I would love some nimrod-ish thing, with their classic punk rock mixed with other things. But I would never wish for some popier stuff, sometimes it seems like you guys want them to go Brittney Spears pop hahahahah

Hahahahaha literally nobody ever said that. Ever.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, petros said:

Hahahahaha literally nobody ever said that. Ever.

I said 'it seems'... the way i read it sounds like that... Good lord you are not implying that

Another album like RevRad is pretty much the worst thing they could do imo. Not that RevRad wasn't a good album, but after the trilogy and RevRad, they need to do something different. I'd be happy with a poppier direction if they don't succumb to the mainstream pop bullshit that bands like FOB are doing and actually do it well. People don't realise that pop music can be done well and Green Day are an amazing band, I'm sure they're one of the bands that can do it well. But I'd be just as excited, if not more so, to hear Green Day release some of their heaviest music to date.

A continuation of 21st CB would be great as long as it's not the same thing. 21CB was special. It was amazing! This can't just be a 21CB part 2 thing. There are moments on RevRad that remind me of 21CB more than any of their other albums. And the lyric writing has to improve too, 21CB was great lyrically. The trilogy I think was ok, but had some bad moments. RevRad was decent lyrically but none of the lyrics stand out to me that much

Btw @Alf, I have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody wants them to sell out or to go "Brittney Spears pop". We just want experimentation, something different! If that means doing a more pop sound, I'm happy with that over another RevRad

Experimentation in a poppy style - good

Uninspired pop music as a desperate attempt to get noticed in mainstream - bad

What is good pop for you guys?
And what is bad pop?

I need example.

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

And what is bad pop?

I need example.

Imo, Paramore's latest album After Laughter is good pop. The band experimenting

Fall Out Boy is a bad example of pop music where they're clearly just going for whatever is popular in order to stay in the mainstream

Did Green Day already have poppy song then? The most close to pop I can think of is Still Breathing.

16 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

And what is bad pop?

I need example.

That's not an easy question, but in case of rock bands going poppy, the key is not adhering to the formula of what's fashionable at the time, but rather incorporating new elements into the band's sound. The comparison of Paramore and FOB is a good one.

The problem of going in this direction is that it always goes with an attempt to get chart attention, so the feeling they're sElLinG oUt is inevitable. :P The Trilogy with it's silent guitars and bubble gum melodies was an attempt at this and it was a failure, so I'm septical about Green Day's second attempt. But at the same time I realize they can't do RevRads for the rest of their lives.

4 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Did Green Day already have poppy song then? The most close to pop I can think of is Still Breathing.

Yeah I'd say SB is pop. It's a The Struts rip off lol

9 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah I'd say SB is pop. It's a The Struts rip off lol

Not a ripoff, since only some part of the vocal melody is similar, and because they shared the credits of the song

40 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Btw @Alf, I have no idea what you're talking about. Nobody wants them to sell out or to go "Brittney Spears pop". We just want experimentation, something different! If that means doing a more pop sound, I'm happy with that over another RevRad

Yeah, I know hahahah I pushed a little on this comment hahahah

19 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

The problem of going in this direction is that it always goes with an attempt to get chart attention, so the feeling they're sElLinG oUt is inevitable. :P The Trilogy with it's silent guitars and bubble gum melodies was an attempt at this and it was a failure, so I'm septical about Green Day's second attempt. But at the same time I realize they can't do RevRads for the rest of their lives.

I don't think it was an attempt that that though. That kind of power pop sound was nothing like anything popular in the charts at the time. Fall Out Boy, by comparison, is a lot more "trendy". Green Day have always had quite a lot of pop (ie catchy melodies) in their sound. But being trendy/attempting to sound like what's in the charts (which would be a much more electronic/dance influenced kind of pop) is different.

27 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah I'd say SB is pop

I think it was a good song so if the next album can sound like that I'll be happy. Well it's my perspective. 

34 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I think it was a good song so if the next album can sound like that I'll be happy. Well it's my perspective. 

It's a good song but I don't neccassarily want more. I wouldn't say it's bad style though.

43 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think it was an attempt that that though. That kind of power pop sound was nothing like anything popular in the charts at the time. Fall Out Boy, by comparison, is a lot more "trendy". Green Day have always had quite a lot of pop (ie catchy melodies) in their sound. But being trendy/attempting to sound like what's in the charts (which would be a much more electronic/dance influenced kind of pop) is different.

True, they weren't really jumping on a pop bandwagon, but they were mellowing their sound, maybe trying to make it more radio friendly, but not in a FOBby way.

If I have to think about two bands or artists that succeeded in experimenting trough different (pop) sounds, these are the Clash with Sandinista! and the Tim Armstrong and friends project. It’s possible to produce great music while experimenting, but in my opinion the trilogy shows that it is also not easy. I would still love a new (greater) attempt in this direction (of course I am not talking about the amount of songs, but of their diversity). 

8 minutes ago, J a c said:

If I have to think about two bands or artists that succeeded in experimenting trough different (pop) sounds, these are the Clash with Sandinista! and the Tim Armstrong and friends project. It’s possible to produce great music experimenting, but in my opinion the trilogy shows that it is also not easy. I would still love a new (greater) attempt in this direction (of course I am not talking about the amount of songs, but of their diversity). 

Yeah Tim Armstrong definitely knows his way around some full-on pop music, he co-wrote a bunch of songs for Pink back in that day! Not gonna lie, a lot of those songs are pretty rad too...

Ok here is a heck of a question for you ?

Would you rather

A)

Green Day brought out a more pop sounding album if that sound is what currently inspires them and that’s the sound they genuinely interested in and want to make right now 

or

B)

Green Day brought out a more punk sounding album because they think that’s what long time fans want and is more in keeping with the Green Day “Punk” image ?

Does the dog wag the tail or does the tail wag the dog ?

A. I want them to do what they genuinely are inspired to do and like and not do it because something is either popular or expected. I’m guessing most of us would say the same thing. Now whether we like what they put out is another question, but it’s out there for us to like or dislike and at the end of it all they make music for themselves 

If they want to try Rap let's go for it 😄
But I'm pretty sure the next album gonna sound like The Longshot.

14 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Would you rather

A)

Green Day brought out a more pop sounding album if that sound is what currently inspires them and that’s the sound they genuinely interested in and want to make right now 

or

B)

Green Day brought out a more punk sounding album because they think that’s what long time fans want and is more in keeping with the Green Day “Punk” image ?

Yeah gotta be A. As much as I'd love to hear a back to basics record, the "return to form" only works if the band genuinely wants to go there. 

I don't think the trilogy was really that much more pop than everything else they did in the 2000's. Dos particularly was much more rock whereas Uno and Tré were power pop or pop rock

19 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Would you rather

A)

or

B)

I personally would probably prefer a heavier sounding album than a pop album. But if they aren't passionate about the music they're making, I don't think it'll sound as good. If they are inspired to make a heavy sounding album, then hell yeah I'd be excited for that. We haven't really heard a heavy sounding GD for ages.

43 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Would you rather

A)

or

B)

They'd both be garbage so it doesn't really matter

Said it before but im biased with this statement because i dont like any other genres, but im also hopeful for either a revrad 2 sound/style wise or a trilogy done right style in terms of like....a rock sound but not political in lyrics mostly, just  fun rock songs, just without the bmx-cellent tits and tattoos of pigs sniffing glues, yknow? If they haaaad to experiment im still in the Nimrod style boat where at its core its punk and still rock but they add on to it instead of replacing it. Id rather have them add and tinker a bit with their core sound instead of throwing their sound away and doing an entirely new one.

1 hour ago, Jirachi said:

Said it before but im biased with this statement because i dont like any other genres, but im also hopeful for either a revrad 2 sound/style wise or a trilogy done right style in terms of like....a rock sound but not political in lyrics mostly, just  fun rock songs, just without the bmx-cellent tits and tattoos of pigs sniffing glues, yknow? If they haaaad to experiment im still in the Nimrod style boat where at its core its punk and still rock but they add on to it instead of replacing it. Id rather have them add and tinker a bit with their core sound instead of throwing their sound away and doing an entirely new one.

They don't necessarily have to do that. Again look at Humbug by AM. Experimentation that still sounds like the artist. They were clearly influenced by other artists like QOTSA, whilst remaining true to their sound. Potion Approaching for example is clear growth whilst sounding reminiscent of a song like Fake Tales of San Fransisco from their debut.

It's very possible for a band to grow and develop without being too drastic in their sound or going SUPER POPPY, and its something I think Green Day could do really well.

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I agree I actually think the trilogy was more Green Day trying to abandon radio and those pressures. The second point to compliment that is they weren't exactly sure about which direction to take. 

They weren't focused but after the previous 2 albums I doubt they wanted to be. Imagine if they took their time and actually filled the sections of those albums that are filler with actual cohesive songs that fit the theme of each album. Imagine if each album was mixed, mastered and produced to actually match the theme of the album. It had the potential to be really cool but they were afraid to scrap it or try it again. 

2 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

But I'm pretty sure the next album gonna sound like The Longshot.

I think that would be a cool direction to go into for the band but it would have to be done better.

One thing I really miss are those instrumental breakdowns. The ones that are present on Dookie, Insomniac, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. 

5 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

They weren't focused but after the previous 2 albums I doubt they wanted to be. Imagine if they took their time and actually filled the sections of those albums that are filler with actual cohesive songs that fit the theme of each album. Imagine if each album was mixed, mastered and produced to actually match the theme of the album. It had the potential to be really cool but they were afraid to scrap it or try it again. 

Think the problem with the Trilogy that it was just too much material to produce to a high enough standard. Should've been one 18 track album

EDIT: Actually no a 12 track album, but thats a discussion for another thread

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived