Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

30 minutes ago, Cunt said:

I think Nick Raskulinecz would be good as a producer even though he has worked with artists that aren’t exactly in Green Day’s neighborhood, but he did a great job of bringing Rush back into their best two albums since moving pictures by mixing they’re old sound with they’re new sound. I would put more trust into him than Butch Walker who works with garbage pop punk bands and top 40 artists. 

I would say that Foo Fighters are quite similar to Green Day. And yes, as a huge Rush fan myself I'd have to agree with you there except I would say the best albums since Grace Under Pressure. Both Signals and Grace Under Pressure had great songs on it. If they moved on from the synths after Grace Under Pressure those two albums wouldn't be so overlooked. 

I was listening to their album Snakes and Arrows yesterday which Nick produced and I just loved the tone of the guitars. There was a lot of strength in the bass and guitar sounds and one thing about Green Day's biggest records is that they always had big guitar sounds. Jerry Finn GD's early mixing engineer was known for big guitar sounds. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, petros said:

Quality of restless heart syndrome lyrics alone >>>>>>>>>> quality of everything billie joe has written after 21st combined

I'm inclined to agree. RHS is so well written. Billie also said that was the hardest song to write on 21CB I believe

52 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Jerry Finn GD's early mixing engineer was known for big guitar sounds. 

Ugh, the punk/pop-punk world needs Jerry Finn to come back from the dead and make every band sound fucking awesome again. His work in the genre is unparalleled in my mind.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Ugh, the punk/pop-punk world needs Jerry Finn to come back from the dead and make every band sound fucking awesome again. His work in the genre is unparalleled in my mind.

Yeah he was able to get that punch. Ironically, way back in the day in my punk early years we were headed into the studio and I was asked to describe my ideal guitar sound. I described it as that "95 punk sound you know like Insomniac or ...And Out Come The Wolves". That was all Jerry Finn. For ...And Out Come The Wolves Andy Wallace was also involved he was the producer on Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction which also has great guitar tones.

Jerry Finn was such an amazing artist and human being man. He was basically the fourth member of blink. Such a huge impact in so many classic albums. Definitely the producer of the whole 90s-00s pop punk/alternative sound. Wish he was still alive. 

8 hours ago, petros said:

Quality of restless heart syndrome lyrics alone >>>>>>>>>> quality of everything billie joe has written after 21st combined

RHS is one of the best songs Billie has ever written. I'm still impressed whenever I listen and it's been out for 10 years now. 

I wouldn't go as far to say that it's better than 50+ songs he has written since combined though.

46 minutes ago, michael1989 said:

RHS is one of the best songs Billie has ever written. I'm still impressed whenever I listen and it's been out for 10 years now. 

I wouldn't go as far to say that it's better than 50+ songs he has written since combined though.

Not only well written but also high quality music to go with as well. One of their top 10 songs for sure.

Well it doesn't have to compete to much. Songs like nuclear family that are literally as billie has said himself about nothing, or troublemaker, or even 99 revolutions which isn't that bad but since billie said he sometimes viewed that song as the best thing he's ever written makes me hate it and him for saying that. Revrad had some well written songs for a change but still suffered from songs like youngblood, bouncing off the wall and too dumb to die which I guess some people will like? idk i find it's lyrics pretty cringe.

I mean the guy wrote one of my lies when he was like a teenager and on his 40s I'm not gonna pretend songs with lyrics like youngblood, fuck time, let yourself go or sex drugs and violence are acceptable as they are fun little songs and stuff people have said when I was bashing the trilogy back when revrad wasn't released and the trilogy was the last thing green day had put out. The only well written song in the entire trilogy to me is Lazy Bones. And even that isn't really that high level but at least it's cohesive. I really like Brutal love as a song but the lyrics again are about nothing.

Now that we're talking lyrics maybe I'm going a little off topic but another top 10 green day song for me which I love the lyrics and the music is definitely Rotting. What an excellent song I can't believe it was not chosen to be released in an actual album.

17 minutes ago, petros said:

99 revolutions which isn't that bad but since billie said he sometimes viewed that song as the best thing he's ever written makes me hate it and him for saying that.

I just want to point out he never said it was "the best thing he's ever written", he said "one of the best" he's written (in the context of honestly talking about how he felt about the album at the time and how it does have some good songs on it), which is a bit different. It wasn't an arrogant statement.

And I idk, lyrics being more light hearted in subject or containing humour or more simple and direct aren't automatically bad or worse than more serious or complex or abstract lyrics to me. I think Rev Rad has excellent lyrics, very touching and personal. I think it's more a matter of preference than a case of them being objectively bad/worse than older lyrics.

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

And I idk, lyrics being more light hearted in subject or containing humour or more simple and direct aren't automatically bad or worse than more serious or complex or abstract lyrics to me. I think Rev Rad has excellent lyrics, very touching and personal. I think it's more a matter of preference than a case of them being objectively bad/worse than older lyrics.

Yeah obviously I'm just sharing my opinion I tend to sound like I'm stating facts sometimes but obviously especially when it comes to lyrics it's all on how people view them.

It's not the humor or the light hearted lyrics I have a problem with. It's the "bmx-ellent tits", "oh baby baby it's fuck time", "sex drugs and violence, english math and sience", "drinking angel's piss" kind of nonsense I can't stand especially coming from Billie Joe.

19 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I just want to point out he never said it was "the best thing he's ever written", he said "one of the best" he's written (in the context of honestly talking about how he felt about the album at the time and how it does have some good songs on it), which is a bit different. It wasn't an arrogant statement.

I could hardly agree more with @Hermione.  I think the lyrics to 99 revolutions are good, perhaps the music lets them down a little but the lyrics are good to me and I can see exactly what Billie said, and I thought at the time he said that, it was the lyrics he was talking about.  I think a lot of fans, perhaps @petros too, are seeing things from a younger perspective than me, and you may be glad to know that in your 40s you are still interested in sex and lots of stuff 😂 😂 so Billie could well be writing stuff like that for a long time yet!  

We need to remember, he is a living human with pressures (OK I know not financial) but family, etc etc he's clearly affected by all sorts of things, politics, social media, societies problems, animal welfare etc, has kids facing their issues, an ageing parents - all that stuff influences how you feel every day and what's in your mind.  Billie has always been a very personal writer for me, and he's said frequently that for him it's about being honest so there are bound to be times when his lyrics really connect with someone, and not at all with another.  I will defend his lyrics for hours as I think he's very underrated for his lyrics, and many of them are intelligent and well thought out.

3 minutes ago, petros said:

Yeah obviously I'm just sharing my opinion I tend to sound like I'm stating facts sometimes but obviously especially when it comes to lyrics it's all on how people view them.

It's not the humor or the light hearted lyrics I have a problem with. It's the "bmx-ellent tits", "oh baby baby it's fuck time", "sex drugs and violence, english math and sience", "drinking angel's piss" kind of nonsense I can't stand especially coming from Billie Joe.

Yeah, I get that, what is that "bmx-ellent tits" thing about, and I understand how when we know what he's capable of, this seems even worse.  If he always wrote "hands in the air like I just don't care" (my own pet hate lyric every from anyone) then we could forgive easier when he falls below par!

9 minutes ago, jengd said:

I could hardly agree more with @Hermione.  I think the lyrics to 99 revolutions are good, perhaps the music lets them down a little but the lyrics are good to me and I can see exactly what Billie said, and I thought at the time he said that, it was the lyrics he was talking about.  I think a lot of fans, perhaps @petros too, are seeing things from a younger perspective than me, and you may be glad to know that in your 40s you are still interested in sex and lots of stuff 😂 😂 so Billie could well be writing stuff like that for a long time yet!  

We need to remember, he is a living human with pressures (OK I know not financial) but family, etc etc he's clearly affected by all sorts of things, politics, social media, societies problems, animal welfare etc, has kids facing their issues, an ageing parents - all that stuff influences how you feel every day and what's in your mind.  Billie has always been a very personal writer for me, and he's said frequently that for him it's about being honest so there are bound to be times when his lyrics really connect with someone, and not at all with another.  I will defend his lyrics for hours as I think he's very underrated for his lyrics, and many of them are intelligent and well thought out.

Yeah, I get that, what is that "bmx-ellent tits" thing about, and I understand how when we know what he's capable of, this seems even worse.  If he always wrote "hands in the air like I just don't care" (my own pet hate lyric every from anyone) then we could forgive easier when he falls below par!

As I said before I don't think the lyrics to 99 revolutions are bad I just don't like the fact that a writer as good as Billie has proven to be said he thinks are some of his best which to me it's not even close. That was my point before too not that the lyrics to that song are bad.

I never stated I don't want Billie writing about sex or relationships idk where that came from. I just don't like "baby baby it's fuck time" and "supernova cherry cola" type of lyrics. He's written grouch for example a song that tackles sex or how he felt he couldn't do it at that time and that's a great written song about growing up and getting closer to 30 but feeling more like 40 or something. So I can't accept when he's actually at his 40s writing "it's a make out party in another dimension". The examples I can find in songs after 21st are countless. Mostly in trilogy which is easiest and by far the worst lyrics he's ever written. He was just shitting lyrics at this era imo, not even trying. They were so full of themselves at that time that thought they had 3 albums worth of material. Thank god that didn't work at all and brought them back on earth.

Revrad is an album they needed to make as I see it. Come back to earth write stuff that's in green day material standards. Start the engine again. That's why I hope this next album is a step forward for the band. And that's impressive being in their 40s and as I see most of their fans hoping they keep pushing their sound. That's healthy imo for a band. Their fans not wanting another american idiot or another dookie or whatever but something fresh. The positive responses I got here when I said I want something new and even poppier were unexpected to me tbh but it really got me excited for new green day and posting in the green day section again.

Just now, petros said:

As I said before I don't think the lyrics to 99 revolutions are bad I just don't like the fact that a writer as good as Billie has proven to be said he thinks are some of his best which to me it's not even close. That was my point before too not that the lyrics to that song are bad.

I never stated I don't want Billie writing about sex or relationships idk where that came from. I just don't like "baby baby it's fuck time" and "supernova cherry cola" type of lyrics. He's written grouch for example a song that tackles sex or how he felt he couldn't do it at that time and that's a great written song about growing up and getting closer to 30 but feeling more like 40 or something. So I can't accept when he's actually at his 40s writing "it's a make out party in another dimension". The examples I can find in songs after 21st are countless. Mostly in trilogy which is easiest and by far the worst lyrics he's ever written. He was just shitting lyrics at this era imo, not even trying. They were so full of themselves at that time that thought they had 3 albums worth of material. Thank god that didn't work at all and brought them back on earth.

Revrad is an album they needed to make as I see it. Come back to earth write stuff that's in green day material standards. Start the engine again. That's why I hope this next album is a step forward for the band. And that's impressive being in their 40s and as I see most of their fans hoping they keep pushing their sound. That's healthy imo for a band. Their fans not wanting another american idiot or another dookie or whatever but something fresh. The positive responses I got here when I said I want something new and even poppier were unexpected to me tbh but it really got me excited for new green day and posting in the green day section again.

This is exactly why I don't want them to do a blink and go in a pop direction. To me it just isn't a step forward, I just don't see how they can do it without it just coming across as a midlife crisis. The Trilogy is the closest they've ever gone to pop music and as you've said its home to some of their worst lyrics, and I think thats more likely to happen on a pop album.

To be honest, I think that if they decide they're going to go in a pop direction they're probably finished as a band. To me they need to do something like blink's Untitled album,  where there was experimentation, rather than California where they just followed a pop formula and made mediocre, boring music.

I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see how middle aged punks can make fresh pop music.

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

This is exactly why I don't want them to do a blink and go in a pop direction. To me it just isn't a step forward, I just don't see how they can do it without it just coming across as a midlife crisis. The Trilogy is the closest they've ever gone to pop music and as you've said its home to some of their worst lyrics, and I think thats more likely to happen on a pop album.

To be honest, I think that if they decide they're going to go in a pop direction they're probably finished as a band. To me they need to do something like blink's Untitled album,  where there was experimentation, rather than California where they just followed a pop formula and made mediocre, boring music.

I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see how middle aged punks can make fresh pop music.

Man when I'm saying poppier I don't mean to make actual pop music or be like fob or panic. But getting out of their comfort zones and doing things they haven't done. They've pretty much played every version of punk rock/alternative/pop punk there is to me. So what's next?

And even if they did pop music, there is good pop music and there is bad pop music. I don't think there's a chance green day go full pop music anyway. Some synths, different producers, and a different approach to how they write music since 2012 is what I'm asking.

1 minute ago, petros said:

Man when I'm saying poppier I don't mean to make actual pop music or be like fob or panic. But getting out of their comfort zones and doing things they haven't done. They've pretty much played every version of punk rock/alternative/pop punk there is to me. So what's next?

And even if they did pop music, there is good pop music and there is bad pop music. I don't think there's a chance green day go full pop music anyway. Some synths, different producers, and a different approach to how they write music since 2012 is what I'm asking.

Yep completely agree, just came across as if Green Day making pop music like fob would be a good thing.

17 minutes ago, petros said:

The positive responses I got here when I said I want something new and even poppier were unexpected to me tbh but it really got me excited for new green day and posting in the green day section again.

This is why I thought you wanted them to make pop music :lol:

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Yep completely agree, just came across as if Green Day making pop music like fob would be a good thing.

Nah i don't really appreciate fob to tell you the truth since it's so obvious they're just changing their sound to stay relevant. I'd still rather have a fob style album made by green day than a revrad part 2 though.

Go search for another bands if you want to hear pop music, leave Green Day where they are. They don't need to prove anything to anyone, they didin't sell out in 94, and they don't need to sell out now that they have a solid mainstream career.

I wish for a well written confort zone album, just like Bad Religion did right now, fresh music with they signature sound

9 minutes ago, petros said:

Nah i don't really appreciate fob to tell you the truth since it's so obvious they're just changing their sound to stay relevant. I'd still rather have a fob style album made by green day than a revrad part 2 though.

Disagree. At least that would still be Green Day. A fob style album would just sound really desperate to me.

6 minutes ago, Alf said:

I wish for a well written confort zone album, just like Bad Religion did right now, fresh music with they signature sound

Eh their comfort zone appears to give pretty mediocre music so I want them to at least push themselves to do something that sounds inspired.

1 minute ago, Joe. said:

Disagree. At least that would still be Green Day. A fob style album would just sound really desperate to me.

Eh their comfort zone appears to give pretty mediocre music so I want them to at least push themselves to do something that sounds inspired.

Dookie is a confort zone album to me, since it is just a Kerplunk's twin brother

Just now, Alf said:

Dookie is a confort zone album to me, since it is just a Kerplunk's twin brother

It was their third release and first major label album, not really comfort zone when they hadn't been doing it for decades.

Noel Gallagher's latest music is a perfect example of an established artist experimenting. Sounds completely different to Oasis and his comfort zone, but its fresh and exciting without following a tired, pop formula. 

32 minutes ago, Alf said:

Go search for another bands if you want to hear pop music, leave Green Day where they are. They don't need to prove anything to anyone, they didin't sell out in 94, and they don't need to sell out now that they have a solid mainstream career.

I'm sorry Alf did my opinion hurt you?

27 minutes ago, Alf said:

Nothing good comes from the comfort zone. I think another RevRad would be even worse for their career right now than a stab at a poppier sound. At least they’d be trying to push themselves to be creative. But I love when Green Day experiment with styles and sounds that are still outside the mainstream and what’s popular. Songs that are fun and weird like Dominated Love Slave, Misery, Peacemaker, Pulling Teeth and King for a Day are examples of the kind of light experimentation that I miss.  Even Hitchin a Ride had a cool intro.  What I don’t want is another album that is formulaic classic rock. 

2 minutes ago, petros said:

I'm sorry Alf did my opinion hurt you?

Couldn't care less, I am just contributing on the thread and giving my point of view about the things I disagree on the talking you guys are having. You can agree, and you can disagree, that's how everything works.

Cheers

Just now, Alf said:

Couldn't care less, I am just contributing on the thread and giving my point of view about the things I disagree on the talking you guys are having. You can agree, and you can disagree, that's how everything works.

Cheers

Go search for another member to disagree with and leave me where I am. 

I did sound hurt didn't I?

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Nothing good comes from the comfort zone. I think another RevRad would be even worse for their career right now than a stab at a poppier sound. At least they’d be trying to push themselves to be creative. But I love when Green Day experiment with styles and sounds that are still outside the mainstream and what’s popular. Songs that are fun and weird like Dominated Love Slave, Misery, Peacemaker, Pulling Teeth and King for a Day are examples of the kind of light experimentation that I miss.  Even Hitchin a Ride had a cool intro.  What I don’t want is another album that is formulaic classic rock. 

Yeah, but when i say 'confort zone', Revrad is not what I am thinking of. I would love some nimrod-ish thing, with their classic punk rock mixed with other things. But I would never wish for some popier stuff, sometimes it seems like you guys want them to go Brittney Spears pop hahahahah

Just now, petros said:

Go search for another member to disagree with and leave me where I am. 

I did sound hurt didn't I?

I won't go any further on this, peace out, bro

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived