Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

Those keyboards look quite retro if that's an indication of anything.

The 4chan post seems like trolling to me. It doesn't say anything we didn't speculate about before, from the name, producer, time of recording and release including that it'll sound like fob and suck.

But honestly, considering what Walker did with other bands, it is probably going to sound like fob and suck. I just don't want to accept that as truth.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

It's still a person who rhymed "time" with "time" we're talking about :P

Steady now, nobody gets it right all the time. 😃 Sir Paul McCartney, who people regularly describe as a great lyricist,  poetic, etc etc is the guy who wrote “and in this ever changing world in which we live in” and got away with it.  😂 I think Billie’s lyrics are usually very good, sometimes great and sometimes a little below par and I think 21CBD has some of his best but I agree when he says GD had lost a lot of their humour then and I too love the goofy side of GD.  I do wish he’d talk more seriously about how he writes but he often seems really uncomfortable when specifically asked about his songwriting and tends to move the conversation or just make a joke or say something silly.

Man, the 4chan thread makes me seriously angry, really annoying posters it would seem, I honestly hope they're wrong just out of spite haha

I'd assume they selected Butch Walker for a reason. Just like the picked Butch Vig to capture that "wall of sound" feel for 21CB. So it's fair to say Walker's sound will show on this record.

9 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Those keyboards look quite retro if that's an indication of anything.

The 4chan post seems like trolling to me. It doesn't say anything we didn't speculate about before, from the name, producer, time of recording and release including that it'll sound like fob and suck.

But honestly, considering what Walker did with other bands, it is probably going to sound like fob and suck. I just don't want to accept that as truth.

This is Walker on this one and it would fit right in with Green Day 

Possibly, but then that was 19 years ago and there's very little "rocky/punk" stuff that he's done more recently, I think. 

11 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

This is Walker on this one and it would fit right in with Green Day 

This is really good and it would fit, but with all the keyboards, I'm not getting my hopes up.

11 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Possibly, but then that was 19 years ago and there's very little "rocky/punk" stuff that he's done more recently, I think. 

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

This is really good and it would fit, but with all the keyboards, I'm not getting my hopes up.

It's because those bands just haven't hired him. Walker has stated in interviews that he works with the songs that the bands bring to him. Another song Walker worked on was Punk Rock 101 by Bowling For Soup. Check it out it fits exactly with Green Day's style as well.

Remember, Rancid uses keyboards, organs and synths and NOFX has as well. It's what you do with them in the songwriting and the sounds you capture from them. 

Also the fact that we've seen old models set up means they'll be getting a more vintage or retro sound out of them which would not be the sound you would hear in current pop music. I think we're all getting a little anxiety because modern pop "rock" seems to be heading into a neo 80's movement where the synth sound is coming back at the front of the mix. Just remember artists like Bowie were able to somehow have one foot over the line into the pop world and one foot outside. That's very much how I view Green Day. They're not going to follow what's being done. They have a better chance of moving it into a better direction and possibly influencing what may be done later. 

Our boys influence they don't really follow. 

4 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Another song Walker worked on was Punk Rock 101 by Bowling For Soup. Check it out it fits exactly with Green Day's style as well.

tenor.gif?itemid=4982398

@SnaggletoothRecords That's a fair enough point, but then again, bands hire producers for their sound. But honestly you're right, some of us are a bit too paranoid here, as we don't actually have the foggiest clue of what their plan is or what the record is gonna sound like, so we shouldn't jump to conclusiones. That being said,  I'm just describing the kind of overall "vibe" I'm getting from what has been said to be going on and it's honestly unsettling me. Quite possibly irrationally, but who knows...

27 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

It's because those bands just haven't hired him. Walker has stated in interviews that he works with the songs that the bands bring to him. Another song Walker worked on was Punk Rock 101 by Bowling For Soup. Check it out it fits exactly with Green Day's style as well.

Remember, Rancid uses keyboards, organs and synths and NOFX has as well. It's what you do with them in the songwriting and the sounds you capture from them. 

Also the fact that we've seen old models set up means they'll be getting a more vintage or retro sound out of them which would not be the sound you would hear in current pop music. I think we're all getting a little anxiety because modern pop "rock" seems to be heading into a neo 80's movement where the synth sound is coming back at the front of the mix. Just remember artists like Bowie were able to somehow have one foot over the line into the pop world and one foot outside. That's very much how I view Green Day. They're not going to follow what's being done. They have a better chance of moving it into a better direction and possibly influencing what may be done later. 

Our boys influence they don't really follow. 

Yes, there are punk bands that use synths and it's great and I'm not saying that it can't turn out great for Green Day. I'm actually rather excited about the retro synths they're using...the livestream Billie did made it sound like 80s pop, which is frightening and interesting at the same time. What makes me worry is the parallel they have with bands who also first switched to Crush than worked with Walker and ended up playing bland pop rock. That's the worst possible direction they may take. Obviously we can't know know if they're going that route, but what if  :P It's exciting to see they're trying out something new, I just hope they're not going for the pop sound that makes everything sounds the same these days.

28 minutes ago, Joe. said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4982398

So you're going to tell me that Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy are more similar in genre to Green Day than Bowling For Soup? I'm not saying I like the band or the song, I'm saying that it is more similar. Just to throw in my 2 cents if this was all up to me Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion would be producing their records. That's the one producer that would get it right for them. 

Also, if you disagree with me for whatever reason actually use your words and explain why. I'd love to hear different views from different fans. 

Posting gifs instead of actually giving an opinion is exactly what's wrong with society today. Music is mostly a subjective thing and we all have different opinions. Let's embrace that rather than virtually shake our heads at people.

21 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

@SnaggletoothRecords That's a fair enough point, but then again, bands hire producers for their sound. But honestly you're right, some of us are a bit too paranoid here, as we don't actually have the foggiest clue of what their plan is or what the record is gonna sound like, so we shouldn't jump to conclusiones. That being said,  I'm just describing the kind of overall "vibe" I'm getting from what has been said to be going on and it's honestly unsettling me. Quite possibly irrationally, but who knows...

Yeah and we're speculating off Insta posts that show a current set up that Jason Freese had. They could have just been fucking around you know maybe having a couple beers and getting away from the stress of actually recording the real songs or working on those. After all music is about just getting together with some friends and messing around. For all we know maybe The Network is coming back lol 

We could be speculating about all these synths right now meanwhile they could actually be recording or writing songs for the album at this moment that do not even include what was shown in that post. We're reading too much into it. 

14 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

So you're going to tell me that Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy are more similar in genre to Green Day than Bowling For Soup? I'm not saying I like the band or the song, I'm saying that it is more similar. Just to throw in my 2 cents if this was all up to me Brett Gurewitz from Bad Religion would be producing their records. That's the one producer that would get it right for them. 

Also, if you disagree with me for whatever reason actually use your words and explain why. I'd love to hear different views from different fans. 

Posting gifs instead of actually giving an opinion is exactly what's wrong with society today. Music is mostly a subjective thing and we all have different opinions. Let's embrace that rather than virtually shake our heads at people.

In terms of the "sound" of the music then yeah I guess you're right, BFS sound more like Green Day than Panic at the Disco, but they're just as 'pop' sounding as FOB et al. Their use of melody etc to my ear is pretty 'poppy' and different to GD but because the songs called Punk Rock 101 I guess you're right...

22 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

We could be speculating about all these synths right now meanwhile they could actually be recording or writing songs for the album at this moment that do not even include what was shown in that post. We're reading too much into it. 

Of course we are, thats how everyone reacts to any potential Green Day news :P

All we need now is a pic of them with John Feldman to confirm the pop direction ;) 

23 minutes ago, Joe. said:

In terms of the "sound" of the music then yeah I guess you're right, BFS sound more like Green Day than Panic at the Disco, but they're just as 'pop' sounding as FOB et al. Their use of melody etc to my ear is pretty 'poppy' and different to GD but because the songs called Punk Rock 101 I guess you're right...

I agree, BFS is definitely more poppy than Green Day. Green Day's songwriting is superior as well. 

I was referring to the actual recording process for BFS and referring to their chord choices,choices of instruments and structure of the band etc. Recording the basic input of BFS is not that much different than the process that would be taken to do so for Green Day. I do see the parallel with BFS and early FOB. I think there was a certain level of studio magic required as well to make those bands sound better than they really are. Green Day won't require such help and Rev Rad proved that and any GD concert you may have seen may also testify. Green Day could benefit from some good engineering practices though. 

It's important to keep in mind that while the producer oversees most of the production as a whole their biggest influence in terms of sound would be making minor changes to phrasing of the vocals or specific lead instruments as well as suggesting where and how to strategically place them in the song itself. They'll also work certain tricks when the band is recording the actual input such as placing microphones in specific areas, selecting different microphones, helping in the decisions of which hardware to use. 

Most of the studio magic and complaints of the sounds of FOB and PATD is actually handled by the engineers themselves and not necessarily entirely Walker's fault. In the end it's his job and he probably had to grin and bear it for a cheque.

Diving deeper into this Green Day's had two great Mixing Engineers in their major label career. Jerry Finn is one the other Chris Lord-Alge. Sadly Finn has passed on and Chris has not been involved since 21st Century Breakdown. Since the Trilogy Green Day's recordings have been criticized. The band is responsible for crafting the songs and performing them they aren't handling the engineering tasks. They also did not handle these tasks for Rev Rad. 

26 minutes ago, Joe. said:

All we need now is a pic of them with John Feldman to confirm the pop direction ;) 

:o

To be fair, he can do good things with a rock band. He did Biffy's Animal Style and imo that's an example of a song that incorporates a bit of electronic sounds and is a bit poppier than what the band usually does and it's still an amazing rock song with lots of energy.

57 minutes ago, Joe. said:

He was the A&R for Reel Big Fish which led to Turn The Radio Off which has some cool 90's Ska tunes on it. After that he proceeded to try and destroy music as a whole... 

If there was 3 producers you could pick for GD's next project who would they be? 

For me it's the following:

1.Brett Gurewitz 

2. Bill Stevenson

3. Jeff Lynne 

I might be in the minority on this, but I would LOVE to see what a Feldmann can do with a batch of GD songs. Not that it's in play/up for consideration. If I had it my way, Mark Trombino would be behind the board for this next record. But if the Walker speculation is true, I'm cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

I might be in the minority on this, but I would LOVE to see what a Feldmann can do with a batch of GD songs. 

"Whooa---ohhh"

1 hour ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

I agree, BFS is definitely more poppy than Green Day. Green Day's songwriting is superior as well. 

BFS is essentially a pop band that has distorted guitars to me. I think they're ok, but they have a very different sound to Green Day.

I was referring to the actual recording process for BFS and referring to their chord choices,choices of instruments and structure of the band etc. Recording the basic input of BFS is not that much different than the process that would be taken to do so for Green Day. I do see the parallel with BFS and early FOB. I think there was a certain level of studio magic required as well to make those bands sound better than they really are. Green Day won't require such help and Rev Rad proved that and any GD concert you may have seen may also testify. Green Day could benefit from some good engineering practices though. 

It's important to keep in mind that while the producer oversees most of the production as a whole their biggest influence in terms of sound would be making minor changes to phrasing of the vocals or specific lead instruments as well as suggesting where and how to strategically place them in the song itself. They'll also work certain tricks when the band is recording the actual input such as placing microphones in specific areas, selecting different microphones, helping in the decisions of which hardware to use. 

The producer has a huge impact on the sound as has already been discussed earlier in the thread. Blink with John Feldman is the clearest example, as California and the music Goldfinger released at the same time sounded identical.

Most of the studio magic and complaints of the sounds of FOB and PATD is actually handled by the engineers themselves and not necessarily entirely Walker's fault. In the end it's his job and he probably had to grin and bear it for a cheque.

If a producer is just ignoring mistakes from engineers they shouldn't be a producer.

Diving deeper into this Green Day's had two great Mixing Engineers in their major label career. Jerry Finn is one the other Chris Lord-Alge. Sadly Finn has passed on and Chris has not been involved since 21st Century Breakdown. Since the Trilogy Green Day's recordings have been criticized. The band is responsible for crafting the songs and performing them they aren't handling the engineering tasks. They also did not handle these tasks for Rev Rad. 

I personally don't have an issue with the Trilogy's mix but RevRad was poor.

1 hour ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

If there was 3 producers you could pick for GD's next project who would they be? 

1. Butch Vig (if going for a standard Green Day sound, Butch has been there and done it extremely well)

2. Josh Homme (If going for experimentation, how Josh influenced AM's Humbug is beautiful)

3. Greg Kirstin (The production on FF's Concrete and Gold sounds fucking incredible)

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

:o

To be fair, he can do good things with a rock band. He did Biffy's Animal Style and imo that's an example of a song that incorporates a bit of electronic sounds and is a bit poppier than what the band usually does and it's still an amazing rock song with lots of energy.

Yeah thats a fair comment, but considering his work with other punk artists that are uh... getting a little older... and maybe having a need for experimentation has been dog shit.

24 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Yeah thats a fair comment, but considering his work with other punk artists that are uh... getting a little older... and maybe having a need for experimentation has been dog shit.

Well, yes. He usually does more harm than good haha.

34 minutes ago, Joe. said:

1. Butch Vig (if going for a standard Green Day sound, Butch has been there and done it extremely well)

2. Josh Homme (If going for experimentation, how Josh influenced AM's Humbug is beautiful)

3. Greg Kirstin (The production on FF's Concrete and Gold sounds fucking incredible)

Yeah I'd take back Butch Vig in a heartbeat. I was part of an audio engineering forum where Butch was also a member and he did a HUGE post about all the practices he did with Green Day and I studied literally everything he shared. The guy is a producing genius and he is perfect for Green Day because he shares a similar vision. He was also one of the only people that could effectively manage Kurt Cobain and get him to buy into some of the methods that made Nevermind sound as great as it did. Especially for the vocal tracking. 

I think Josh Homme would fully understand Green Day and I don't think there would be any issue with this choice either. I'd still take Butch Vig over him but I'd definitely take Josh over Butch Walker. 

If we're going down the Foo Fighters road I'd actually take Nick Raskulinecz. I believe he served as an engineer for the Foo Fighters but was the producer for the last 2 Rush albums. He would make Mike sound amazing he can capture incredible bass tones. I think that would be really awesome for Green Day as Mike has been sitting back in the mix since the American Idiot days. Would nice to hear him at the forefront of some of the songs again as he's always written clever bass riffs. Having a proper engineer that can capture that and enhance it would be great. 

"If a producer is just ignoring mistakes from engineers they shouldn't be a producer."  - From an artistic perspective I agree but it literally doesn't matter what Butch said to PATD or FOB neither of those bands have any integrity whatsoever. Essentially in this case they're the customer. He can advise but essentially if the band decides the engineer followed the vision and provided what they expected in regards to the sound Butch is then outvoted. Someone above said they're "cautiously optimistic" I think that's pretty much the general consensus. I think it's great they actually have a producer. This hopefully leads to a more professional mix than the last few efforts. 

50 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

"Whooa---ohhh"

Lol don't care, I love what he did with California

12 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

"If a producer is just ignoring mistakes from engineers they shouldn't be a producer."  - From an artistic perspective I agree but it literally doesn't matter what Butch said to PATD or FOB neither of those bands have any integrity whatsoever. Essentially in this case they're the customer. He can advise but essentially if the band decides the engineer followed the vision and provided what they expected in regards to the sound Butch is then outvoted. Someone above said they're "cautiously optimistic" I think that's pretty much the general consensus. I think it's great they actually have a producer. This hopefully leads to a more professional mix than the last few efforts. 

I agree. Thank god they're working with a producer.

14 minutes ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

Yeah I'd take back Butch Vig in a heartbeat. I was part of an audio engineering forum where Butch was also a member and he did a HUGE post about all the practices he did with Green Day and I studied literally everything he shared. The guy is a producing genius and he is perfect for Green Day because he shares a similar vision. He was also one of the only people that could effectively manage Kurt Cobain and get him to buy into some of the methods that made Nevermind sound as great as it did. Especially for the vocal tracking. 

Yep. Butch is class.

I think Josh Homme would fully understand Green Day and I don't think there would be any issue with this choice either. I'd still take Butch Vig over him but I'd definitely take Josh over Butch Walker. 

Again, Josh is class. Think theres another Desert Sessions on the way so don't think he'd do it anyway, and not sure it'd be an exciting enough project for him to get involved in, but in an ideal world.

If we're going down the Foo Fighters road I'd actually take Nick Raskulinecz. I believe he served as an engineer for the Foo Fighters but was the producer for the last 2 Rush albums. He would make Mike sound amazing he can capture incredible bass tones. I think that would be really awesome for Green Day as Mike has been sitting back in the mix since the American Idiot days. Would nice to hear him at the forefront of some of the songs again as he's always written clever bass riffs. Having a proper engineer that can capture that and enhance it would be great. 

Can't comment, don't know them.

I think Nick Raskulinecz would be good as a producer even though he has worked with artists that aren’t exactly in Green Day’s neighborhood, but he did a great job of bringing Rush back into their best two albums since moving pictures by mixing they’re old sound with they’re new sound. I would put more trust into him than Butch Walker who works with garbage pop punk bands and top 40 artists. 

To this point I'd even take pharrell over any "rock" producer for green day.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:10 AM, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Longshot and Trilogy are fun and very clever lyric-wise and some of you are really on to something: that the lyrics mean more than meets the eye and they’re very clever and well woven together in a very intricate story if you can understand it and use interesting references to tell the story in a pretty sophisticated literary way too. Billie is a smart cookie and a great artist. Although, that being said: some of the songs on the Trilogy are not my favorite but some of them are my top favorite songs. It’s really diverse and not all of it is my cup of tea but some of it is my favorite Green Day. 21stCBD has some really crappy lyrics too haha but it didn’t seem like the band was having as much fun as they did with the Trilogy. And I ADORE Green Day! But I’m a typical picky asshole of a GD fan.

Anyway. 21stCBD is like a watered down American Idiot and it’s like they put all the fun and goodness into the Foxboro Hot Tubs at that time and 21CBD was just like feeding the monster that is Green Day the stadium band selling millions of records to the masses.

Quality of restless heart syndrome lyrics alone >>>>>>>>>> quality of everything billie joe has written after 21st combined

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived