Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ¡Nunes! said:

I remembered that time Billie was spotted recording in Perth during revrad tour (2017). Did we ever discovered what was that about?

The caption was "Recording Green Day", not Longshot.

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/green-day-spotted-recording-australian-music-studio/

That might've been for their "Back in the USA" song possibly 

4 minutes ago, ¡Nunes! said:

I remembered that time Billie was spotted recording in Perth during revrad tour (2017). Did we ever discovered what was that about?

The caption was "Recording Green Day", so I believe it was not a solo-Longshot-project thing.

https://musicfeeds.com.au/news/green-day-spotted-recording-australian-music-studio/

I think at the time he wrote the Longshot songs he didn’t know what they were going to be used for.  He’s just always recording demos as he writes them so it could have been BITUSA demo or demos of songs that ended up being used for a side project instead or even something that never got released. 

I'm excited for whatever they do with the new album, but after listening to Nimrod earlier I'm hoping for an album with 15 songs, not a ''rock opera'' album, and some experimentation on the album. 

About the number of songs on the new album I hate 10 songs albums which a lot of bands are doing right now, since they release at least 2 or 3 songs prior the album and the first listen experience of the album sucks like that. I want a 12-15 songs album.

18 minutes ago, petros said:

About the number of songs on the new album I hate 10 songs albums which a lot of bands are doing right now, since they release at least 2 or 3 songs prior the album and the first listen experience of the album sucks like that. I want a 12-15 songs album.

I agree. By the time the album comes out you know half the songs. RevRad also felt too short to me.  The last Interrupters and SWMRS albums were barely 30 minutes long. You wait 3 years or more for a record and get 30 minutes of music.  That kinda sucks. 

I like good music and a good artist makes good music in whatever time it takes to create it.... sometimes it takes a day, sometimes it takes a year.... and then there is all that practice to get it near perfect every time they walk on stage to share their art....   The more complicated the creation, the more rehearsal it takes to make few mistakes.    The memory capacity these people have in itself is applaudable.   I am sure they could win many spelling bees if they put in the effort for them.   

I was watching an interview from 21CB period and Billie was saying that the song 21CB and KYE each took about five minutes to write 😲 That to me is wild. 

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was watching an interview from 21CB period and Billie was saying that the song 21CB and KYE each took about five minutes to write 😲 That to me is wild. 

21CB is longer than it took to write it??? That's insane.

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You've just reminded me of the Rev Rad interview where Billie said Still Breathing wasn't easy to write but it probably took him a day to write :lol:, at 2:50. 

23 hours ago, That Dude said:

Politics should take a backseat for a while.  I think it's time for a more personal album.  It doesn't have to be Billie Joe's life story, but I think Green Day have aced the "state of the world" style songs and should move on to other interesting topics.

I don't really have a wish-list for ALBUM 13, because I'm always very happy with what this band does.  If I could have one thing though, it would be this:  A Mirt Dirnt song!  A Tre Cool Song!   A ballad from either of them would be so special! 

As for Green Day doing rap, I'd say maybe go all out for a fun side-project instead.   I'm seeing so much hate for the upcoming Blink-182 / Lil Wayne Tour it's ridiculous.  Most people are blocked into certain genres and don't deviate.  I personally think it's a cool idea, but millions of Blink fans are jumping ship on the band just because of the tour.  And Lil Wayne fans - I'm not seeing any of them even comment on the situation, because they aren't on the Blink pages.  But I guarantee it's either the same level of hatred, or they simply aren't going to sit through a Blink-182 show to see an artist they like. I hope that all the negativity is just internet trolls and the tour is a success.  But it's got disaster written all over it.  

You usually have thoughtful answers, so I'm curious, if political songs were what naturally flowed out of BJ for this album but he felt the need to force personal songs to satisfy fans, would that still be your preferred direction?

2 minutes ago, RedundantIdiot said:

You've just reminded me of the Rev Rad interview where Billie said Still Breathing wasn't easy to write but it probably took him a day to write :lol:, at 2:50. 

I love when he says “Stop!” to the audience 😂

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Tbh it's hilarious when he always says he's written songs in "5 minutes", that would be writing every line of the song instantly in the same amount of time it takes to play the finished track. Unless it's just some kind of stream of consciousness rambling thing no one has written a song with three verses, a chorus and a bridge in 5 minutes Billie :P. Came up with the main ideas in 5 minutes maybe.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Tbh it's hilarious when he always says he's written songs in "5 minutes", that would be writing every line of the song instantly in the same amount of time it takes to play the finished track. Unless it's just some kind of stream of consciousness rambling thing no one has written a song with three verses, a chorus and a bridge in 5 minutes Billie :P. Came up with the main ideas in 5 minutes maybe.

Yeah to come up with a 5 min song in 5 minutes is like saying "I improvised all the lyrics on the spot"

@RedundantIdiot

The bit where Billie says the record company didn't know until April.... Makes me thing of when they stopped posting to their songs for assholes account... 

@pacejunkie punk same... I watched that bit over and over, goofball! 

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Yeah to come up with a 5 min song in 5 minutes is like saying "I improvised all the lyrics on the spot"

"I wrote the song in less time than it takes to sing the song, and then everyone stood up and clapped" :P 

4 hours ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

You usually have thoughtful answers, so I'm curious, if political songs were what naturally flowed out of BJ for this album but he felt the need to force personal songs to satisfy fans, would that still be your preferred direction?

I wouldn't want him to force it, not at all.  

And like I'm about to discuss with Hermione, Green Day have never been overly-political in their lyrics.  It's just that after the release of American Idiot everybody focuses on that part of their writing, and it's kind of frustrating.   Bad Religion,Anti-Flag and maybe Against Me! -  THOSE are actual "political bands" and even they may not want to be labeled as such.  

There was that recent interview with Billie Joe where he talked about wanting to be more positive, something along the lines of "you can only sing 'Nazi Punks F*** Off' so many times before it makes you a negative person".   I took that as meaning that maybe he wants to refocus on different topics.

Green Day could change it up by going SUPER DUPER political, or omit it all together.  Either one of those would be a change.   I've never had a problem with their politics before, just think that now is a good time to change it up.   

No matter what, I'm sure Billie is currently working on songs that will be stuck in our heads for decades to come! 

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It is possible to write lyrics in that amount of time... sometimes even less.     

To be fair I could see those songs being written in 5 minutes if...

He's talking about the 1st part of 21st Century Breakdown which is just a chorus, a prechorus and 2 verses

Also, KYE is just the chorus (which is essentially 1 line repeated), verse and bridge

But the song 21CB also had reworked lyrics because the demo for the song had different lyrics to the final version.

Noel Gallagher famously wrote Supersonic in "the time it takes for 6 people to eat a Chinese takeaway" so it's definitely possible to write a classic quickly  :) 

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

Noel Gallagher famously wrote Supersonic in "the time it takes for 6 people to eat a Chinese takeaway" so it's definitely possible to write a classic quickly  :) 

It's definitely possible for musicians to exaggerate too :P 

From what I read hear it sounds as if Butch Walker will be the producer 

I'd like to see Green Day take it up a notch from here. I wouldn't mind having them experiment and go for more of a post-punk sounding album and hear them use a lot of tension chords and have them build crescendos but with a larger sound. They could draw influence from late 80's alternative like The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr and of course late Replacements. They could also mix that in with late 70's post punk styles as well. I wouldn't even mind having them do something that would be similar to The Cure but of course in their own way. We do always get that 1-2 Green Day traditional back to the roots song and I wouldn't mind having them sound similar to The Adolescents with great backing vocals, good speed and theatrical crescendos. 

Looking into Butch Walker further I'm surprised hardly anyone mentioned Gob or Bowling For Soup or even The Bronx. All of those bands are much more similar to Green Day than the acts that have been mentioned here. I'm not a huge Bowling For Soup fan but for the songs I do like from them I noticed that Walker produced them. Walker also produced one of Gob's best albums as well which had great guitar tones and backing vocals. He was also able to catch a specific level of energy on Foot In Mouth Disease that Green Day has been lacking since American Idiot. 

I wouldn't say it's fair to judge him based off his recent productions such as Fall Out Boy or Panic At The Disco because these are not similar bands to Green Day in regards to genre or quality. Butch Walker can try improving or polishing the songs that they bring to him but if the songwriting just isn't good there's not really much he can do unless he's writing the songs for them. I think Butch's goal in this project is to capture the energy they displayed on American Idiot and Insomniac and the early records but allow the band the space to do it in a brand new way.

I haven't ever paid attention to producers so I don't know about that. Mostly I see it as a positive thing that they 1) actually have a producer and 2) have a producer they've never worked with before. I know the whole Butch Walker thing isn't confirmed but the evidence so far is enough for me to draw the conclusion he's producing and believe it. 

Things I wish for in terms of sound is first of all something like Nimrod where there's 'something for everyone' and a fair bit of experimentation involved. Some acoustic stuff like Warning would be nice for example, and maybe some piano/synth. They could experiment even more than they did on Nimrod though. I can excuse the safe route they took with RevRad after the Trilogy fiasco but they should have their confidence back by now. I don't really want another AI or 21CB where everything is so thought out but rather a nice mixture of songs that have basically nothing to do with one another, but still make a cohesive album. Political lyrics I expect but I hope they're not the focus as I tend to find them dull and cliché, they don't really say anything to me. Another note on lyrics is that I want better ones lol. We all know what Billie is capable of writing amazing lyrics but to me he didn't deliever that at all on the Trilogy and RevRad. As much as I adore Billies voice I'd like to hear Mike sing some more, and maybe a guest vocalist on at least a part of some song would be fun. 

When it comes to mixing I want to hear Billies voice and Mikes backup vocals + bass clearer, and have a more consistent volume during the songs *looking at you Outlaws*. I get the need for not keeping the same volume through out but god damn there has to be some balance. I R E A L L Y hope they'll ditch the vocal filters this time. Not entirely but holy fuck they need to chill out with that shit. I know I'll probably love the album whatever happens though. Even if I find it to be terrible at first, Green Day has a way of making me love almost everything they do eventually. So the thing I wish for the most is that this album makes them update their setlist. I know people claim they 'need to please their casual listeners' but I think they can well afford to be way more fan friendly. Updated setlists with deep cuts that change regularly during their tour and a live show that isn't so predictable it hurts (like it is now) would make me happy. 

^ fully agreed

The thing with Billie's lyrics is that to me they sometimes seem cliché (and they are haha) and withought any meaning, but there I'm not sure it's bad writing, it seems to be the kind of poetry he's going for. Last week I was blown away when I realized a line I thought meant nothing was actually a reference to something I just didn't know, so now I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's saying.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

^ fully agreed

The thing with Billie's lyrics is that to me they sometimes seem cliché (and they are haha) and withought any meaning, but there I'm not sure it's bad writing, it seems to be the kind of poetry he's going for. Last week I was blown away when I realized a line I thought meant nothing was actually a reference to something I just didn't know, so now I'm inclined to believe he knows what he's saying.

Could you share what line and what song that was from? 

Honestly, I've felt the same about some of their songs 2012 and onward. There are still some great lyrics from 2012 to 2016 in their work it's just not as consistent as it was in previous works. 

If you were there during the 21cb tour you'll remember the boards on each flank of the stage that had lyrics from the album on them. I just don't feel they'd be able to do that now. 

I read in some previous posts people wishing for an album with more songs and ideally that's amazing if every single song is above a 7/10. The way they've been trending just be happy if we have 13 songs that are all well written with great lyrics and instrumentation. Rev Rad was a step in the right direction and showed they're getting back into focus. I'd like to see them take this effort and take a step past the mark they left with 21cb. 

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived