Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

Im in the same boat, i only listen to pop punk, punk, and metal and such with 0 other genres and i still am not pissed at the Lil Wayne x Blink thing haha. I would never go to a concert anyway but if i did i'd prooobably go and sit through the Lil Wayne stuff to get to Blink.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, That Dude said:

Politics should take a backseat for a while.  I think it's time for a more personal album.  It doesn't have to be Billie Joe's life story, but I think Green Day have aced the "state of the world" style songs and should move on to other interesting topics.  

YES! Completely agree with that too! Forgot to mention it.

2 minutes ago, petros said:

Yes! That song would have been so much better if not in the trilogy. But it had the same problem all trilogy had. Terrible sounding guitars(which actually worked better for this track only) non lyrics at bridges since they had so much material to work on and uninspired chorus for the same reason.

I seriously would prefer a post malone sounding album way more than a panic or fob sounding one. It's obvious from the start that bands like fob and panic just played whatever was mainstream at the time so they kept doing that. Problem is they started as pop punk bands and one of them isn't even a band anymore and the other became a self of their former self. I can still enjoy some fob songs to tell you the truth but the change in their sound they did just to stay relevant is ridiculous. When I said I wouldn't mind for green day to have a poppier sound I by no means meant I'd like them to go full fob or panic. There's good pop-rock and then there are imagine dragons and fob.

Yes, it's not perfect, but it's one of the best trilogy songs. It's original and the sound kind of worked for it.

Now I get what you mean. Poppier doesn't automatically mean worse. AI was poppier than green day's earlier stuff but it almost universally seen as their best album. 

16 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Politics should take a backseat for a while.  I think it's time for a more personal album.  It doesn't have to be Billie Joe's life story, but I think Green Day have aced the "state of the world" style songs and should move on to other interesting topics.

LIFL had good lyrics - I'd happily have more of that. 

I don't think this is what we're going to get, but I'd totally be up for Green Day totally destroying modern pop and getting weird with it. But I would also be totally down for a return to big, bombastic, theatrical stadium rock. 

I don't want them to go to a completely pop sound cause I feel like all rock bands are going pop and it usually ends up sucking. I don't think that'll happen though

Yeah, but they're fucking GREEN DAY! They can do anything!

Butch Walker literally released a song called Synthesizers, about doing whatever feels right.

The first two lines are this:

Everybody’s writing songs with synthesizers

But I don’t have a synthesizer

If GD release an album with synths on it then it's their call to do so but it'd alienate this part of the fanbase.

28 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

I don't think this is what we're going to get, but I'd totally be up for Green Day totally destroying modern pop and getting weird with it. But I would also be totally down for a return to big, bombastic, theatrical stadium rock. 

I’d like a return to the more acoustic stylings of Warning.

10 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

I’d like a return to the more acoustic stylings of Warning.

That would be great too! They definitely have the potential to make another great folksy, mature acoustic record.

There are bands out there that do the political thing better than Green Day can. There are bands that do the pop thing better than Green Day can. What I want is just the best 12 or so songs that the three of them can produce, if they take inspiration from somewhere new and interesting thats fantastic. What I don't want is a "vision" of what they want and force themselves to write in a certain way. Nobody wins if they do that.

For me RevRad is not the best the boys have in their locker at this point in their career. LiFL I found pretty average and same-y, but you get the feel that was just Billie writing the songs that just came naturally to him, and thats what he should be doing with Green Day too.

32 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't want them to go to a completely pop sound cause I feel like all rock bands are going pop and it usually ends up sucking. I don't think that'll happen though

Yes, I probably wouldn't mind it if it went well but it usually doesn't :P

While I'm not really down for stylistic stagnation at this point, I would actually most love to see some soft experimentation in the style of Nimrod / Warning on the next record. That being said, I also think having strong experimentation can be a good thing, even if it doesn't fit one's taste all the way. Think of it this way, in my opinion it's better to have an album with some f**ing brilliant songs and some kinda disappointing songs than to have an album full of played safe "meh" songs.

8 hours ago, JardyOfSuburbia said:

Butch didn't do Frank Turner's last album, "Be More Kind"? Unless you were referring to Positive Songs for Negative People? Either way, I loved both of those albums. Like, I think this is one of the best songs Frank ever recorded.

Holy shit, I stand corrected!

I must’ve had a brain fart when I was typing that. Yeah, “be more kind” was the album I couldn’t stand. Positive songs was a fantastic record! 😂

The Clash's 'Combat Rock' is probably the closest album to expressing the way I'd like to see the boys experiment.

I love how everybody is discussing about what direction there will go to but I just want another hint or something cause I just can’t wait to find out 😂

2 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

Holy shit, I stand corrected!

I must’ve had a brain fart when I was typing that. Yeah, “be more kind” was the album I couldn’t stand. Positive songs was a fantastic record! 😂

Haha, it happens. 1933 is a rocker from his last album, though. Very Green Day-esque.

13 hours ago, That Dude said:

I don't really have a wish-list for ALBUM 13, because I'm always very happy with what this band does.  If I could have one thing though, it would be this:  A Mirt Dirnt song!  A Tre Cool Song!   A ballad from either of them would be so special! 

As for Green Day doing rap, I'd say maybe go all out for a fun side-project instead.   I'm seeing so much hate for the upcoming Blink-182 / Lil Wayne Tour it's ridiculous.  Most people are blocked into certain genres and don't deviate.  I personally think it's a cool idea, but millions of Blink fans are jumping ship on the band just because of the tour.  And Lil Wayne fans - I'm not seeing any of them even comment on the situation, because they aren't on the Blink pages.  But I guarantee it's either the same level of hatred, or they simply aren't going to sit through a Blink-182 show to see an artist they like. I hope that all the negativity is just internet trolls and the tour is a success.  But it's got disaster written all over it.  

Nah, Blink 182 might not exactly attract Lil Wayne fans to the show but rap fans don't have a stick up their arse about rock the way rock fans do about rap :P

I don't think there's really any indication Green Day will do anything with rap next though haha. Doing something more electronic or more pop or more punk, or more simple rock and roll or something more ambitious or experimental all seem possible from here, I can't guess what it'll be.

As far as being personal Rev Rad is incredibily personal, just has a few political songs thrown in. I think Billie can't help but write about a mix of both. I don't mind if the album is totally personal, totally political or a mix, as long as the lyrics go hard in either/both areas.

I know this will never happen but I'd love for the next album, lyrically wise, to be focused mostly on the guys all pushing 50 and Green Day being a band for over 30 years. Name the album "Grey Day." Lmao.

I hope Billie Joe improves his lyric/song writing game. Hasn't been great since AI in my opinion, with many songs being sorta cliche. Still excited no matter what.

5 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

I know this will never happen but I'd love for the next album, lyrically wise, to be focused mostly on the guys all pushing 50 and Green Day being a band for over 30 years. Name the album "Grey Day." Lmao.

I hope Billie Joe improves his lyric/song writing game. Hasn't been great since AI in my opinion, with many songs being sorta cliche. Still excited no matter what.

There's this local punk band that did a birthday song for themselves with a chorus that goes "we're 50 oh fuck". Lol

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Nah, Blink 182 might not exactly attract Lil Wayne fans to the show but rap fans don't have a stick up their arse about rock the way rock fans do about rap :P

Well, except for the fact that rap fans pretty much call anything that isn’t rap “White People Music.”

29 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Well, except for the fact that rap fans pretty much call anything that isn’t rap “White People Music.”

They aren't wrong :lol:

15 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

They aren't wrong :lol:

Not every genre besides Rap is for whites. Kind of seems to me that people who are for “gangsta rap” have about as much of a chip on their shoulder as rock fans do. =/

I am optimistic and looking forward to the new album no matter what but I hope whatever they do it’s as exciting as it was with the Longshot and Foxboro Hot Tubs and what was tried but not executed as well with the Trilogy. Def don’t want AI or 21stBD part two or RevRad. Hope the excitement comes back with the new record in whatever form it takes.

4 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Aside from the few people who are actually dumb enough to think your race should dictate what music you can listen to I haven't seen nearly as much hate or disdain for rock from rap fans as I have the other way round. Rappers incorporate rock into their music and no one gives them shit for it, and no one says "rock isn't music" or acts like it's trash and below them. Rap fans who aren't into rock tend to just be indifferent to it in my experience, there isn't the snobbery and whining about it you get from rock fans about rap. (I speak in general terms here of course, not all rock fans/not all rap fans). It's dumb either way round but between Blink 182 fans and Lil Wayne fans I bet I know which ones are the most triggered by them touring :lol:

If Green Day toured with a rapper I like I would be really happy omg. There would be so much butthurt though.

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived