Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

14 minutes ago, Scumbag On A Mission said:

I wouldn’t say that all bands who experiment with new sounds are motivated by a desire to top the charts. However, I do believe that’s the case with many of the bands who’ve worked with Green Day’s new (speculated) producer, Fall Out Boy being a prime example. It seems to me that they (FOB) prioritize chart success over the innovation and overall quality of their work. Their desire to appeal to the mainstream is evident not only in their music, but in the way they present and market themselves. I was speaking specifically to the artists who have worked with the producer that Green Day have recently taken on, and I don’t believe that’s the case with every band looking to experiment. Besides, Green Day have made adjustments to their sound in the past and I believe they did this because they wanted to experiment, not because it was what the mainstream demanded. I would encourage them to experiment with their sound, so long as they do it because they genuinely want to, and not because anyone else expects them to. 

Those are fair points and good observations. I would add to that by saying FOB, Weezer and a few other bands who have worked with this producer have always come across to me as artists who adjust to what's popular at the time, even at the start of their careers. Pop-punk comes across as FOB's true style because that's how we first heard them, but if they had put their first record out 7 years later they may have just been a straight indie-rock band or sound like Fun (the band) because that was the sound of that time. But with Green Day, they've always seemed to do what they do regardless of the current trends. They're like a clock who's hands died at the 3:30 point - no matter what, that clock will always tell the right time twice a day. That same principal can be applied to music trends - you continue doing what you do best, eventually your sound will line up with the cycle of trends. So with that being said, I think they're a lot less likely to make a record with that producer for the same reasons as another artist would. Then again, they totally could!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m starting to notice a pattern for record teases. Is this gonna be a common thing? :lol:

7 hours ago, Scumbag On A Mission said:

I wouldn’t say that all bands who experiment with new sounds are motivated by a desire to top the charts. However, I do believe that’s the case with many of the bands who’ve worked with Green Day’s new (speculated) producer, Fall Out Boy being a prime example. It seems to me that they (FOB) prioritize chart success over the innovation and overall quality of their work. Their desire to appeal to the mainstream is evident not only in their music, but in the way they present and market themselves. I was speaking specifically to the artists who have worked with the producer that Green Day have recently taken on, and I don’t believe that’s the case with every band looking to experiment. Besides, Green Day have made adjustments to their sound in the past and I believe they did this because they wanted to experiment, not because it was what the mainstream demanded. I would encourage them to experiment with their sound, so long as they do it because they genuinely want to, and not because anyone else expects them to. 

Fall Out Boy already had a trendy and chart pleasing sound before their "makeover" though. They were always very in line with current trends, they didn't change that much. They came out when rock/pop punk was very popular so they were able to get away with more of that in their sound but it was still very pop and trendy, especially their image and music videos etc. Green Day is coming into working with this producer from a different place so it would likely have a different result.

I mean I'm not saying Green Day is hardcore underground punk or straight up heavy rock but all these other bands being mentioned were already more pop/indie, more trendy and less punk or rock in their sound and image than Green Day before they worked with this producer.

I'm excited for more experimentation from Green Day but when I look at the synths, I feel is utter dread because it makes me think of all the originally good bands that decided to stick to the charts and now they're not good anymore. I hear C*ldplay when I look at it. :lol: But at the same time I liked The Network and if revrad had any negatives, it was that it didn't bring much new sonically, so maybe I should be happy.

12 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Imagines the freak out fest among the fandom when they announced they were recording a rock opera 🤔

I hope they're doing another one so we can freak out all over again! :lol:

1 hour ago, cav9mm said:

No chance this is a new Network album to be released next year ?

2020 is just 7 months away

That would be fucking amazing

In the studio video Butch posted, there are two groups of guitars, and none of them immediately stand out as to being something Billie Joe would use.

Just now, Matt. said:

In the studio video Butch posted, there are two groups of guitars, and none of them immediately stand out as to being something Billie Joe would use.

Leans towards experimentation?

2 minutes ago, Matt. said:

I noticed that too. However, he's sold a lot of guitars recently so it's not unreasonable to assume he made some kind of gear overhaul.

All I want is a "love is for losers, part II" but I'd be happy with a well mixed /mastered "confort zone" album too.

Because till this day It bothers me having to control volume while listening to revrad.

12 hours ago, Matt. said:

And no bass too (If that hits to something like them recording in different days / studios).

I’m pretty sure that video Butch posted is of his personal studio. He talks about it in the Pursuit of Tone documentary (I linked the YouTube vid a page or 2 back). Looks exactly the same in both videos. They could be recording there, but yeah, no basses and a lot of keyboards/pianos...

1 hour ago, ¡Nunes! said:

Because till this day It bothers me having to control volume while listening to revrad.

I know! So annoying. It would also help if Billie would stop with the gimmick of spoken or low key intros to every song too. 

18 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I’m pretty sure that video Butch posted is of his personal studio. He talks about it in the Pursuit of Tone documentary (I linked the YouTube vid a page or 2 back). Looks exactly the same in both videos. They could be recording there, but yeah, no basses and a lot of keyboards/pianos...

I think it is his studio but it is also tagged as being in LA so they could have recorded there. 

I'd love for green day to finally experiment with their sound. No more revrad and trilogies please. I'd love sone synths I'd love a popier sound. I don't care. Give me something fresh weird and exciting. I haven't been excited after listening new green day music since 2009.

This thread should be renamed to the new album anticipation thread.

8 hours ago, DadBod said:

It definitely is, the RubyRed logo is the giveaway and it's in LA hence the location stamp. Here's a good overview of the studio - https://reverb.com/uk/news/show-us-your-space-butch-walker-and-rubyred-productions

The guitars in his clip are probably just those he has knocking around all the time. Nothing screaming "Yo, Green Day making an album here" but the forensic investigators amongst you might spot something.

Maybe this will be a continuation of Breakdown that we never got. That album felt like a dead-end when Trilogy and RevRad never really followed up on the piano songs and this new direction we got a glimpse of on 21CB.

40 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Maybe this will be a continuation of Breakdown that we never got. That album felt like a dead-end when Trilogy and RevRad never really followed up on the piano songs and this new direction we got a glimpse of on 21CB.

One can only hope. But green day's perspective of these type of songs after 21st were songs like dirty rotten bastards, somewhere now, forever now which to me all sucked. I loved brutal love though so that's good. Either keep pushing that 21st sound or do something completely new and fresh no more punk-rock please.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, tdlyon said:

It would be pretty cool if they did with this Instagram account what Tyler the Creator did with his last album, where he documented the entire process of making the album (writing, recording, even choosing album art and shooting music videos) and then make it public when the album is out. It was like an interactive diary almost

That would be the coolest thing and I hope this is what they're doing!

3 minutes ago, petros said:

One can only hope. But green day's perspective of these type of songs after 21st were songs like dirty rotten bastards, somewhere now, forever now which to me all sucked. I loved brutal love though so that's good. Either keep pushing that 21st sound or do something completely new and fresh no more punk-rock please.

I wouldn't mind more punk rock, and I liked the Nows, but they've been doing it for 30 years, so it'll be cool to change it up too. The direction they were getting into on Breakdown was interesting and I'd love to know what would happen if they pursued it further. The synths are somehow unnerving because if there's one thing that would be more uninspired than playing it safe and repeating themselves, it would be "let's throw in some keyboard sounds and get radio airplay yeeehee", but at the same time it's exciting because so far they've never dared to use any sounds like that outside of a side project, so something interesting might come out of that. But in the end I think they never really make huge leaps in style/sound between albums.

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I wouldn't mind more punk rock, and I liked the Nows, but they've been doing it for 30 years, so it'll be cool to change it up too. The direction they were getting into on Breakdown was interesting and I'd love to know what would happen if they pursued it further. The synths are somehow unnerving because if there's one thing that would be more uninspired than playing it safe and repeating themselves, it would be "let's throw in some keyboard sounds and get radio airplay yeeehee", but at the same time it's exciting because so far they've never dared to use any sounds like that outside of a side project, so something interesting might come out of that. But in the end I think they never really make huge leaps in style/sound between albums.

Don't they have to though? Like seriously where do they go from here? They are still looking good they're not in acdc lever of being an old touring band and I know billie doesn't wanna become that. They are well known. They made a punk rock album in their last release and released a punk rock song like bang bang as first single in a world where guitars don't exist in mainstream music. I wouldn't mind go full blink-182 and release a new pop-rock first single and look at people freaking out. Especially green day have stayed "true to punk rock" for so long and I want them to piss all over that now. Make a weird project, something interesting.

Using synths is such a typical rock band thing to do, I'm not sure why it's associated so much with pop music these days. In 2010 (Katy Perry, Kesha etc), for sure - big trend. But you never really hear synths in pop music anymore. It's usually samples, lo-fi hip-hop production, live guitars/bass, or overall really creative production. When a rock band starts incorporating synths because they think it's poppy it always sounds mid-career crisis-ish and shows how out of touch they've become. Because the Billboard Hot 100 is so diverse right now (Billy Ray Cyrus to Billie Eilish to Bradley Cooper... what the hell?), I think they could 100% be embraced by pop fans as is.

Also "Fuck These People" totally sounds like a song on an album titled Songs For Assholes.

9 hours ago, petros said:

This thread should be renamed to the new album anticipation thread.

Good idea

• Hermione changed the title to Next Album Anticipation Thread
4 hours ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

Using synths is such a typical rock band thing to do, I'm not sure why it's associated so much with pop music these days. 

Agreed. Sometimes it's done well, sometimes not. I think Muse's Uprising is a good example of when it's done well. The synths gave it a unique personality, but it's still a rock song at its core. If GD can incorporate them in a similar way then it could help them freshen up their sound while still sounding like GD.

• Hermione locked this topic

Archived