Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

If this means a new album with a producer, is not really new. Almost all GD albums sound different from each other. If the band is looking for a refreshing sound, no one can blame them.

I don't get my hopes up until a confirmation, but new music is always welcome

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an unashamed Butch Walker fanboy (I heard about this on a Butch Walker Facebook group), this news (if true) makes me very happy. I’m more familiar with his solo work (and as a member of Marvelous 3) than what he’s done as a producer, but it makes sense that Green Day would approach him (aside from the shared management company aspect). 

Green Day haven’t had a massively successful single for a long time (21 Guns, ten years ago, probably counts as the last) and that is presumably something that the band are aware of. If there is one thing BW can do as a producer, it’s mould a tune into shape for the charts, and my guess would be that they embraced him because of this. The man knows how a song should be written and has an ear for a hook better than anyone. Basically, if you want singalong choruses then this is the guy.

Sonically, it’s hard to say what the band would go for (or have gone for, since it’s already been recorded). Musically, probably very similar to what we’ve had in the past, but with clearer vocals and bigger choruses. God knows I couldn’t make out half the lyrics on RR (not that there’s anything new in that eh.. Bab’s Uvula Who).

It’s misplaced to blame the producer for Fallout Boy sounding more poppy, as this is no doubt what they wanted when they entered the studio – Pete Wentz is about as ambitious as it gets. Green Day, and Billie Joe in particular since he's the songwriter, are too world weary to be knocked about by record labels into making an album that doesn’t sound as they want it to.

Still Breathing is a good example of a song that was heading in a pop/mainstream direction and was the closest they came to that kind of success in a long time. That song with the right producer might have done it, and it’s still a great Green Day song with no major compromises.  Maybe they know how close they came and want to challenge themselves this time to see what they can achieve. 

2 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

We still don’t have any real confirmation he’s even producing for them 

I know I know “but the keyboard” yes tons of artists have that same keyboard Kanye uses that same keyboard

Don't think it's the same keyboard, it is similar but if you compare them both, they have differences

I don't think the issue with Still Breathing was the production of it, but rather the lack of promotion.  I also think it had mainstream potential, but was released when the band was in Europe and the promotion they did do on it was too late.

Think the issue with Still Breathing was the song tbh

If Still Breathing had a poppier sound it would have become an exact copy of Could Have Been Me so thank god it's how it is :P

I hate to be a wet blanket, but we have to be realistic. The chances that Green Day are going to have a mainstream hit are almost 0 no matter what it sounds like. It’s impossible for a young well-known rock band to crossover these days, much less an older one. Surely they know this and are not trying for a top 100 billboard hit at this stage. Because the top 100 absolutely sucks and is impenetrable if you’re not pop, hip hop, or R&B. Let’s just hope they’re aiming to make really good music.

2 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but we have to be realistic. The chances that Green Day are going to have a mainstream hit are almost 0 no matter what it sounds like. It’s impossible for a young well-known rock band to crossover these days, much less an older one. Surely they know this and are not trying for a top 100 billboard hit at this stage. Because the top 100 absolutely sucks and is impenetrable if you’re not pop, hip hop, or R&B. Let’s just hope they’re aiming to make really good music.

Yeah it's crazy how you can have a #1 rock track and it doesn't even crack the Hot 100, even when it's far more popular than some stuff at the end of that list. It really seems stacked against rock because it only takes some radio stations into account. 

True.  And has anyone else noticed that more and more, you know a rock band has a new album out but radio stations are still playing old stuff rather than new singles?  Is that poor promoting or what? Staying safe ‘cos they know the old one was a hit?  

13 minutes ago, jengd said:

True.  And has anyone else noticed that more and more, you know a rock band has a new album out but radio stations are still playing old stuff rather than new singles?  Is that poor promoting or what? Staying safe ‘cos they know the old one was a hit?  

Yes! Is there a single “alternative” or rock radio station out there that doesn’t play 90% oldies? 

It would be pretty cool if they did with this Instagram account what Tyler the Creator did with his last album, where he documented the entire process of making the album (writing, recording, even choosing album art and shooting music videos) and then make it public when the album is out. It was like an interactive diary almost

I wouldn't mind a poppy album as long as it's By The Way poppy (Red hot chili peppers album) and not like Fallout Boy poppy if that makes any sense.

I'm optimistic. A new producer is great news imo since after RevRad it's clear they can't do it themselves lmao. I thought overall RevRad was a solid album but it was like the most generic Green Day thing ever. Like they were just playing extra safe after the (PR) disaster that was Uno Dos and Tre. I think a new producer kind of shows that they may be willing to change things up a bit which is all I really want. Its been a while since they've done something new. Well, something new successfully I should say. 

Overall I'm hyped that we are probably getting new music sometime in the near future. And until I hear some music that tells me otherwise I'm nothing but optimistic.

4 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

Yes! Is there a single “alternative” or rock radio station out there that doesn’t play 90% oldies? 

That’s what their ad-targeted audience wants. Radio is a hard thing right now. The only source of income are advertisements and your music needs to cater towards the audiences potential advertisers want to target.

Unfortunately, in my area, that means playing top 40, country, or classic rock.

I have news. The Insider is away for a month, more to follow when she returns.

Basically all rock stations in my area play the same songs daily from 90s artists. On the bright side, this has led to to listen to hip-hop and rap radio more, and I've grown to like a lot of new artists.

8 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

I have news. The Insider is away for a month, more to follow when she returns.

Why was I so sure the Insider was a guy?

And good, a time frame helps because I can't check this thread daily until the Fall like I have been lol.

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Basically all rock stations in my area play the same songs daily from 90s artists. On the bright side, this has led to to listen to hip-hop and rap radio more, and I've grown to like a lot of new artists.

Why was I so sure the Insider was a guy?

And good, a time frame helps because I can't check this thread daily until the Fall like I have been lol.

The Insider's identity is shrouded in mystery

Wooah, how did I only now catch on to this? Very interesting! The bad news for me is, the only band I can even remotely tolerate in Butch's catalogue, is "The Struts" and in my opinion, they went even more poppy on the specific album he produced, compared to their rather good first release. Dear oh dear... I really hope they know what they're doing haha. In some ways I think they know exactly what they're doing, in some ways I don't at all lol. 

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

They better not fuck this one up :happy:

Imagines the freak out fest among the fandom when they announced they were recording a rock opera 🤔

On 5/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Scumbag On A Mission said:

The idea of Green Day working with the producer behind Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy material really concerns me. I’ve never been a fan of either of these bands, but (the way I see it) both Panic! and FOB sacrificed their creative freedom for management/producer-ensured mainstream credibility. They put their creative control in someone else’s hands because they were determined to secure their place on the charts, and they completely altered their image and destroyed their credibility in the process. I don’t want to see Green Day undergo a similar transformation. I just hope Green Day can remain true to themselves and continue to put out great music. I don’t want to see them lose interest in writing/recording music that’s true to their identity, and I don’t want to see them become motivated solely by chart success and mainstream popularity. 

There's really no way to know if an artist truly actually is sacrificing creative freedom for a place on the charts. Artists are constantly changing and some are genuinely excited by new sounds. One could argue that when an artist makes music based on what fans consider "being true to themselves" they're actually not being true to themselves, they're being true to their fans. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that shouldn't be confused with an artist staying true to themselves.

The whole theme of the Beyond and Back podcast that Billie did last year was about success lying in the places where you step out of your comfort zone and dare to create something new.  If that’s where his head was at at the time, I can only imagine he was planning on implementing those ideas for the current project.  

51 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The whole theme of the Beyond and Back podcast that Billie did last year was about success lying in the places where you step out of your comfort zone and dare to create something new.  If that’s where his head was at at the time, I can only imagine he was planning on implementing those ideas for the current project.  

That's what they've been saying for years but rarely do. 

1 hour ago, BraedonHorbacio said:

There's really no way to know if an artist truly actually is sacrificing creative freedom for a place on the charts. Artists are constantly changing and some are genuinely excited by new sounds. One could argue that when an artist makes music based on what fans consider "being true to themselves" they're actually not being true to themselves, they're being true to their fans. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but that shouldn't be confused with an artist staying true to themselves.

I wouldn’t say that all bands who experiment with new sounds are motivated by a desire to top the charts. However, I do believe that’s the case with many of the bands who’ve worked with Green Day’s new (speculated) producer, Fall Out Boy being a prime example. It seems to me that they (FOB) prioritize chart success over the innovation and overall quality of their work. Their desire to appeal to the mainstream is evident not only in their music, but in the way they present and market themselves. I was speaking specifically to the artists who have worked with the producer that Green Day have recently taken on, and I don’t believe that’s the case with every band looking to experiment. Besides, Green Day have made adjustments to their sound in the past and I believe they did this because they wanted to experiment, not because it was what the mainstream demanded. I would encourage them to experiment with their sound, so long as they do it because they genuinely want to, and not because anyone else expects them to. 

If Butch Walker is producing the new album, I'm stoked. He's put out great stuff from Brian Fallon and Frank Turner. I wouldn't just associate his work with "poppy." I'd love to see what he could do with Green Day's sound.

• Hermione changed the title to Next Album Anticipation Thread
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived