Next Album Anticipation Thread

Verycool99

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oh no poor Waldo :lol:

Jokes aside, I loved how on RevRad the songs had a common theme or somehow followed a narrative, but it was suble and unassuming, not "there are these characters named Mr. Revolutionary McRevolutionface and his cousin Mrs. Norma Nomiesdottir and they symbolise the tensions in current American society". I like AI and 21CB, but I think it was great how RevRad managed to convey a story withought providing a canon reading of it. I'd enjoy more of that.

I don’t even think they have to have a theme, just a string of well written, well produced songs that are a bop would work for me. 

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Mr. Revolutionary McRevolutionface and his cousin Mrs. Norma Nomiesdottir

Okay those names made me spit my coffee ahaha

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t even think they have to have a theme, just a string of well written, well produced songs that are a bop would work for me. 

Of course! Good music is what it's all about and it doesn't need any gimmicks.

The idea of Green Day working with the producer behind Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy material really concerns me. I’ve never been a fan of either of these bands, but (the way I see it) both Panic! and FOB sacrificed their creative freedom for management/producer-ensured mainstream credibility. They put their creative control in someone else’s hands because they were determined to secure their place on the charts, and they completely altered their image and destroyed their credibility in the process. I don’t want to see Green Day undergo a similar transformation. I just hope Green Day can remain true to themselves and continue to put out great music. I don’t want to see them lose interest in writing/recording music that’s true to their identity, and I don’t want to see them become motivated solely by chart success and mainstream popularity. 

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Green Day have always been about not giving a fuck whether something is going to be at the top of the charts. They're mostly just committed to writing and making music that they think is good. Just because they're working with the same producer behind less than savory bands doesn't mean that they will suddenly start to sound like them. They're always very hands on with the production process as well and if this producer didn't mesh well with them and help them to make the record they want to make, they wouldn't be working with him.

Bottom line, I trust Green Day to come up with something that's of great musical quality, regardless of their record label or producer.

I agree with @Green Day In Seattle, but am a little concerned about this guy but think GD know what they want and will do what they want.  PATD  have always been very poppy to me, very mainstream and it seems to me that since FOB’s return, they have been quite a different band and more set on success than they were.  

3 hours ago, Scumbag On A Mission said:

The idea of Green Day working with the producer behind Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy material really concerns me. I’ve never been a fan of either of these bands, but (the way I see it) both Panic! and FOB sacrificed their creative freedom for management/producer-ensured mainstream credibility. They put their creative control in someone else’s hands because they were determined to secure their place on the charts, and they completely altered their image and destroyed their credibility in the process. I don’t want to see Green Day undergo a similar transformation. I just hope Green Day can remain true to themselves and continue to put out great music. I don’t want to see them lose interest in writing/recording music that’s true to their identity, and I don’t want to see them become motivated solely by chart success and mainstream popularity. 

I try to be optimistic and to believe Green Day would never do that, but I share your concern. They switched to the same management, now they have the same producer and the bands suck. The direction FOB and PATD went is chart oriented and even though I've never been a fan of either of them, it seems the music they make now is very bland and unoriginal. The only thing that indicates that it will be different with Green Day is that if they haven't done this until now, they won't do it. But who knows. It would be sad to see them going that way though.

The agonies of the long term fan - so excited waiting for new music, so worried about what it may sound like!

15 minutes ago, jengd said:

The agonies of the long term fan - so excited waiting for new music, so worried about what it may sound like!

Exactly! And the first time I took part in this pre-release excitement was before the trilogy so I have a bit of trauma hahaha

I don’t have any qualms about them trying to sound like anything other than green day. Like they said with revrad “we’ve been doing this 30 years we know what we want to sound like”. So yeah whoever they were or we’re not to bring in I have no doubt it won’t change anything in that aspect 

I think it's exciting!

FOB and PATD were always more poppy and trendy than Green Day. They had a poppy sound that was heavily influenced by current trends at the time both when they started and when they had comebacks and were only ever borderline rock or punk. So I don't think they're really comparable. But Green Day also have plenty of pop sound in them (in a different way). So I think both that there's no reason it wouldn't be fitting for them to work with that kind of producer, and also that it doesn't mean it would have the same outcome as those bands working with him.

I don’t know to what extent Butch Walker had an influence on American Beauty/American Psycho (I can see that Jake Sinclair is credited as main producer) but, even if I don’t love the new FOB sound/vibe, that record was just great in terms of production value. And I don’t buy this thing that producers control the sound of a band, maybe it can be true when you are new to the music industry, but talking about a bunch of old ladies as GD are I am sure that any major artistic decision will be solely in their hands (for better or for worse). 

I’m not worried for many of the reasons stated here and also they have to be allowed to evolve still, so it’s not necessarily a bad thing to try something new. I trust they know they don’t want to devolve into a generic pop band but see what they can do with their own sound to keep it great but different.  

13 minutes ago, J a c said:

about a bunch of old ladies as GD are 

nearly spat my lunch all over my PC 😂 😂

I agree with @J a c and @pacejunkie punk but it still doesn't mean I won't be happy when I hear the new stuff and think "ah, Green Day"  and I said already, I think a new producer could be good for them.  

1 hour ago, J a c said:

I don’t know to what extent Butch Walker had an influence on American Beauty/American Psycho (I can see that Jake Sinclair is credited as main producer) but, even if I don’t love the new FOB sound/vibe, that record was just great in terms of production value. And I don’t buy this thing that producers control the sound of a band, maybe it can be true when you are new to the music industry, but talking about a bunch of old ladies as GD are I am sure that any major artistic decision will be solely in their hands (for better or for worse). 

They certainly have a huge influence, wouldn’t say they control it entirely per say but they still have a big impact.

Look at the last blink-182 album, clearly Feldman had an impact of the sound of it. Another one off the top of my head is Arctic Monkeys embracing the “desert rock” sound when they worked with Josh Homme :wub:.

ultimately the band write the record, not the producer, however they will have picked the producer based on their previous work. That being said it doesn’t mean they’re going in a pop direction. The newest Foo album was with Greg Kirsten, who produced Adele and Sia, but Dave didn’t start singing about heartbreak or anything :lol:

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

They certainly have a huge influence, wouldn’t say they control it entirely per say but they still have a big impact.

Look at the last blink-182 album, clearly Feldman had an impact of the sound of it. Another one off the top of my head is Arctic Monkeys embracing the “desert rock” sound when they worked with Josh Homme :wub:.

ultimately the band write the record, not the producer, however they will have picked the producer based on their previous work. That being said it doesn’t mean they’re going in a pop direction. The newest Foo album was with Greg Kirsten, who produced Adele and Sia, but Dave didn’t start singing about heartbreak or anything :lol:

Producers definitely have influence over records and their sound (otherwise I guess they should change their job :D), but I don’t think they have control over them.  I think a band like GD will choose a producer based on a creative direction taken by the band, they will not limit their artistic choices based on the necessity to have a certain producer. And as you said I think they will make the choice based on the producer career, which can mean many things and not necessarily him/her having produced a more or less pop sound. 

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

Paradoxically I'd be less worried about them working with Kirsten because Adele and Sia don't suck despite being pop :lol: But I have to agree with the point that FOB records aren't bad production-wise, so I'm probably just biased.

2 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think it's exciting!

FOB and PATD were always more poppy and trendy than Green Day. They had a poppy sound that was heavily influenced by current trends at the time both when they started and when they had comebacks and were only ever borderline rock or punk. So I don't think they're really comparable. But Green Day also have plenty of pop sound in them (in a different way). So I think both that there's no reason it wouldn't be fitting for them to work with that kind of producer, and also that it doesn't mean it would have the same outcome as those bands working with him.

I agree with this. PATD & FOB never sounded like Green Day, & GD would never be stupid enough to try to sound like them. Not that I hate those bands, just that it would be too obviously pathetic.

28 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Paradoxically I'd be less worried about them working with Kirsten because Adele and Sia don't suck despite being pop :lol: But I have to agree with the point that FOB records aren't bad production-wise, so I'm probably just biased.

Yeah Kirsten is the best producer in the world right now so that would be ideal, my point was that it’s not necessarily a bad thing :lol:

33 minutes ago, J a c said:

Producers definitely have influence over records and their sound (otherwise I guess they should change their job :D), but I don’t think they have control over them.  I think a band like GD will choose a producer based on a creative direction taken by the band, they will not limit their artistic choices based on the necessity to have a certain producer. And as you said I think they will make the choice based on the producer career, which can mean many things and not necessarily him/her having produced a more or less pop sound. 

Exactly. They’ll probably know what they want before they chose him. 

We still don’t have any real confirmation he’s even producing for them 

I know I know “but the keyboard” yes tons of artists have that same keyboard Kanye uses that same keyboard

Just now, WhiteTim said:

We still don’t have any real confirmation he’s even producing for them 

I know I know “but the keyboard” yes tons of artists have that same keyboard Kanye uses that same keyboard

Tre’s kit, or a kit that looks very similar to one of Tre’s custom kits being there is what’s made me think it’s him

28 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Tre’s kit, or a kit that looks very similar to one of Tre’s custom kits being there is what’s made me think it’s him

Could it be just looks like Tre?

not that it couldn’t be Tre and Walker is producing the next album I dunno just all the assumptions on what the record will sound like to me is little too early until confirmation 

31 minutes ago, Joe. said:

If you watch this video of Butch's "Pursuit of Tone", you'll see that the space in the instagram post and this video match. NOT saying they are or ARE NOT working together, but the "studio" viewed is actually Butch's personal one. He talks about it around 30-ish minutes in.

(It's a long doc, but very interesting)

19 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Could it be just looks like Tre?

not that it couldn’t be Tre and Walker is producing the next album I dunno just all the assumptions on what the record will sound like to me is little too early until confirmation 

Could be. Again pretty sure it’s a custom finish so if they match it’s quite likely to be Tres

20 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Could be. Again pretty sure it’s a custom finish so if they match it’s quite likely to be Tres

That's the story I want to believe.

• Hermione changed the title to Next Album Anticipation Thread
  • Hermione locked this topic

Archived