Billie to appear in 'Punk' documentary series on Epix

Squashie

This was already posted on the IG thread but goodness me, what a sweetie Billie is.  You can see he is both proud of how great Basket Case is but bashful about all this people saying so, working on the assumption he got to hear their comments.  He came over really well I thought.  ❤️❤️❤️

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jengd said:
This was already posted on the IG thread but goodness me, what a sweetie Billie is.  You can see he is both proud of how great Basket Case is but bashful about all this people saying so, working on the assumption he got to hear their comments.  He came over really well I thought.  ❤️❤️❤️

I was watching an interview on YouTube (22 minutes with...) and Billie was saying how he was 15/16 when he wrote the songs on their first album and 20/21 when he wrote Dookie. That’s the age that Jakob is now and it’s hard to believe he was actually that young when he wrote his third album, first for a major label and a multi platinum seller. They really were still kids, especially when I think of Jakob who seems so young to me. 

32 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was watching an interview on YouTube (22 minutes with...) and Billie was saying how he was 15/16 when he wrote the songs on their first album and 20/21 when he wrote Dookie. That’s the age that Jakob is now and it’s hard to believe he was actually that young when he wrote his third album, first for a major label and a multi platinum seller. They really were still kids, especially when I think of Jakob who seems so young to me. 

They really were just kids and I like that aspect of the discussions about the songs on the Nimrod podcast.  It is really amazing what they were doing, and were so great so young.

So excited to find out I can get EPIX free.  :)  Will be catching up on this series now.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, ricardoverde said:

I upload the full episode. There you gooo! Cool see so many great bands in there!

Been wanting to see this for forever thanks! Does anyone know where that interview clip came from with Billie and Mike on a couch looks like 1994 talking about how they get treated like products to sell? I’ve never seen that it was awesome. Is it part of a larger interview that’s out there?

Thanks for sharing, @ricardoverde!!

I've always had the impression that Fat Mike and the guys from NOFX kinda hated Green Day and the guys from Pennywise didn't really thought much of them. Cool to know that's not the case!

33 minutes ago, Karol Oliveira said:

I've always had the impression that Fat Mike and the guys from NOFX kinda hated Green Day and the guys from Pennywise didn't really thought much of them. Cool to know that's not the case!

Well Fat Mike also apear in the Spotify series of the early days of Green Day.

"Green Day got big ’cause they were better than everybody else. And all the bands that weren’t very good faded away. I always thought Bad Religion should get bigger. But it shows you how much charisma plays into it. Green Day had a lot more charisma than Bad Religion. And Greg Graffin is not Billie Joe" Thats a quote from Fat Mike in the book Gimme Something Better.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:36 PM, ricardoverde said:

Well Fat Mike also apear in the Spotify series of the early days of Green Day.

"Green Day got big ’cause they were better than everybody else. And all the bands that weren’t very good faded away. I always thought Bad Religion should get bigger. But it shows you how much charisma plays into it. Green Day had a lot more charisma than Bad Religion. And Greg Graffin is not Billie Joe" Thats a quote from Fat Mike in the book Gimme Something Better.

I get exactly what Fat Mike is saying. GD made a huge splash in the scene cause they were able to merge in elements of other genres regardless of what their peers from the scene were saying. If you hear Rancid's music Bad Religion's music, NOFX's music along with their lesser known peers across California you hear how all of their sounds changed after Dookie dropped. 

Within 2 years Rancid went from the self titled album to ...And Out Come The Wolves. The fun fact about ...And Out Come The Wolves is that they hired Jerry Finn who was a huge part of the Dookie guitar sound. 

On 12/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, Karol Oliveira said:

Fat Mike likes to joke around about them but they're all friends in real life. A lot of the comments made against Green Day are just the bands playing into the biases that the fans had at the time. Also Fat Mike's made jokes about other bands like AFI and followed it up with "im kidding they're cool". 

As far as Pennywise I'm not sure what they may have said in the past and what the context may have been. Nor do I care I've never been a fan of them anyways. 

Archived