Walking Contradiction (Steve Holroyd Remix)

Mega Man

This might be new to some of you, but when being promoted as a radio single, "Walking Contradiction" was remixed by Steve Holroyd to give it a brighter sound, perhaps for more mainstream appeal. I found this out on accident when shuffling through my iTunes library; the intro sounded completely different. Sure enough when I checked out the actual CD, it was confirmed as Steve's work.

I love the dark and sludgy sound of Insomniac, but this remix almost makes it sound like something off of Dookie (perhaps intentionally). The loud distorted bass is brought way down in the mix, the drums are crisper, and it sounds like there's a little more reverb on the guitar.

Now whether you know it or not, you've heard this mix before. It's the same one used in the music video.

This may have gone over people's heads because it was only titled "Radio Edit #2" whereas Redundant was explicitly labeled as a radio remix. Though speaking of which, I have the original radio edit; this one is the same mix as Insomniac, but the profanity has been obscured by glass shattering. Since radio is weird, the Radio Edit #2 is "cleaner" by obscuring the word completely versus hearing the beginning of the word; they did the same thing with Longview. Though whether you believe it being cleaner or a more pop friendly remix, this version became the "hit" recording on modern rock charts.

I'd give you guys a lossless rip of it, but I'm not sure of the legality of it. You can however find this version on the clean version of Insomniac, which I believe is available for digital download. Again a bit of an odd choice considering there was a censored version in the original album mix.

Wait!! Is available a clean version of Insomniac??? I didn't know that (Just the singles have clean versions on singles and promos as far as I know). Well you said you have the Radio Edit #1... is it the same as this one? (BTW, the video you posted is from my youtube channel)

That's Walking Contradiction Radio Version. I've always wanted to get the "Radio Edit #1", but I never get a clue of it.

Actually the clean version of Insomniac was conjecture on my part. An autogenerated video on YouTube from an official Warner database made me think there was.

These videos are usually produced in conjunction with official streaming and/or online music stores that offer that content. So that's what made me think it's out there somewhere - I honestly haven't looked into it. Though I just saw your comment in the comment section, so this isn't new to you.

And yep, that video is the original radio edit. There is no literal "Radio Edit #1", they just switched the name around. To my knowledge there's only one other variation of the single under the name of "Radio Version 2". This is by far the hardest to find since it's just a promo CD in a plain jewel case. While I don't own it, I can say with 99% certainty that it's just the same as Radio Edit #2.

It sounds like we collect the same stuff. I try to track down all of the mixes of the singles on CD, no matter how mundane.

20 hours ago, Mega Man said:

Actually the clean version of Insomniac was conjecture on my part. An autogenerated video on YouTube from an official Warner database made me think there was.

These videos are usually produced in conjunction with official streaming and/or online music stores that offer that content. So that's what made me think it's out there somewhere - I honestly haven't looked into it. Though I just saw your comment in the comment section, so this isn't new to you.

And yep, that video is the original radio edit. There is no literal "Radio Edit #1", they just switched the name around. To my knowledge there's only one other variation of the single under the name of "Radio Version 2". This is by far the hardest to find since it's just a promo CD in a plain jewel case. While I don't own it, I can say with 99% certainty that it's just the same as Radio Edit #2.

It sounds like we collect the same stuff. I try to track down all of the mixes of the singles on CD, no matter how mundane.

Check on eBay for WC Radio Edit #2, I've seen one or two of them nowadays. Don't know about a "Radio Version 2", but I know there are two more WC Promos, one with an Orange CD and another with a Green CD. On discogs there is one but it cost around 150 euros....

It sounds like we both own the same copies (the two currently on Discogs). The only remaining variation is the orange CD, Radio Version 2:GREEN_DAY_WALKING+CONTRADICTION-99601.jp

150 Euros is pretty ridiculous. At most it's like a $20 item.

17 hours ago, Mega Man said:

It sounds like we both own the same copies (the two currently on Discogs). The only remaining variation is the orange CD, Radio Version 2:GREEN_DAY_WALKING+CONTRADICTION-99601.jp

150 Euros is pretty ridiculous. At most it's like a $20 item.

So, the Green one is Radio Version 1...

BTW, I have a FLAC of Radio Version 1, don't know if I would be allowed to share it.

Yeah, Radio Version 1 didn't have a front cover to the jewelcase which is why the artwork used is most commonly the back cover. Technically you're not permitted by law to share it. But it seems like the general rule at GDC is if there's not a feasible way to obtain it otherwise, it's permitted (including out of print releases).

On a related note, Longview has given me the most grief trying to find all the variations of it simply due to the amount of edits made to the song.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ive always wanted that mix of the song, but with the unedited vocal. thats one of my holy grail tracks. i hope it exists somewhere.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:51 AM, Mega Man said:

Yeah, Radio Version 1 didn't have a front cover to the jewelcase which is why the artwork used is most commonly the back cover. Technically you're not permitted by law to share it. But it seems like the general rule at GDC is if there's not a feasible way to obtain it otherwise, it's permitted (including out of print releases).

On a related note, Longview has given me the most grief trying to find all the variations of it simply due to the amount of edits made to the song.

Radio edits are a bit tricky... they fall into a gray area. I find it best to avoid them! But I think it's fair to share this version. It's different enough from the album version. I appreciate all the info you've dug up on this remix and I always look forward to your threads! 

20 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Well, if you allow me I can share WC Radio Edit #2 and Radio Version in FLAC.

This is the only one I'll allow to be shared. The other radio edit is too close to the album version, just censored. 

6 hours ago, Todd said:

This is the only one I'll allow to be shared. The other radio edit is too close to the album version, just censored. 

To be concise the first Radio Version doesn't sound like the album version. It's kind of in between the album and radio edit #2, a hybrid sound/mix of both. However, I will obey you, so here's the WC Radio Edit #2 in FLAC.

Walking Contradiction CD Promo (Radio Edit #2) FLAC

Enjoy!!

So, making an overview of all of this discussion:

* Walking Contradiction Radio Edit #2 is the one with a white cover and a silver CD.

* Walking Contradiction Radio Version 1 is the Green CD

* Walking Contradiction Radio Version 2 is the Orange CD. So this is version idk how it sounds.

Archived