American Idiot Demos and Never Before Heard B-sides

Alf

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Yeah the one with the AI cover is AI 

the disc with the tracklist is what I question usually b sides are songs from said album sessions and none of those songs are from the AI sessions to me John should’ve just worded it as “these are unreleased songs” or “random b sides” I dunno just weird lol 

Billie said in March 2004 that they had 35 songs they were going to record. Sure, some of these were written earlier, but nothing indicates to me that they're NOT from the AI session! John was there. If he says they're from the AI session, and the CD cover says that as well, why not trust it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Todd said:

Billie said in March 2004 that they had 35 songs they were going to record. Sure, some of these were written earlier, but nothing indicates to me that they're NOT from the AI session! John was there. If he says they're from the AI session, and the CD cover says that as well, why not trust it?

Where does it say Americans idiot? All I see is “Green Day B Sides”

plus we know for a fact some of those songs had different engineers and such from credits 

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Where does it say Americans idiot? All I see is “Green Day B Sides”

plus we know for a fact some of those songs had different engineers and such from credits 

I guess it doesn't say that on the CD. The date had me under the impression, but I suppose any of the songs could've been recorded in 2002/2003 and then just mastered later. Shoplifter, Governator, and Too Much Too Soon were engineered by Chris Dugan with help from Reto, Lights Out was Chris Dugan, and Favorite Son was Doug McKean. But all three of them are listed as engineers on the album, so does that have significance? 

3 minutes ago, Todd said:

I guess it doesn't say that on the CD. The date had me under the impression, but I suppose any of the songs could've been recorded in 2002/2003 and then just mastered later. Shoplifter, Governator, and Too Much Too Soon were engineered by Chris Dugan with help from Reto, Lights Out was Chris Dugan, and Favorite Son was Doug McKean. But all three of them are listed as engineers on the album, so does that have significance? 

Lights Out was self produced by GD and engineered by Dugan Dugan wasn’t the engineer for AI he was only an assistant on that album 

I dunno I’m probably just overthinking this 😂

So John said these songs are from the demo sessions, right? Was he there for the demos or just the recording in LA? A lot of these bsides were songs rumoured to be on c&v, and this may be kind of a stretch, but if a lot of those songs were reworked into the network album then what if "end of the world" is the original version of "roshambo"? 

Just wanted to point out, Lights Out was the same length of the released one in 21CBD (2:17)

So it was the same song and maybe the one that was used for the 21CBD b-side

53 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

So John said these songs are from the demo sessions, right? Was he there for the demos or just the recording in LA? A lot of these bsides were songs rumoured to be on c&v, and this may be kind of a stretch, but if a lot of those songs were reworked into the network album then what if "end of the world" is the original version of "roshambo"? 

They wouldn’t be paying to get a song mastered if they already released the “final” version of it. I highly doubt any of these songs are Network. 

I always thought it was a bit unlikely the Foxboro Hot Tubs randomly happened in just a few days like they said... I remember Tré eloquently putting it "that one just dropped right out of our bums" on Radio One. :P Interesting some of it dates back this far, though.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

The references to AI in the lyrics of The Pedestrian makes so much more sense now.

What are the references?

6 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

I always thought it was a bit unlikely the Foxboro Hot Tubs randomly happened in just a few days like they said... I remember Tré eloquently putting it "that one just dropped right out of our bums" on Radio One. :P Interesting some of it dates back this far, though.

I've just thought, after the original 6 song FBHT EP came out the next thing they did was put out The Pedestrian and then Broadway as extra songs on their Myspace, a few weeks/months later. And then the full album. So maybe the story is more referring to the original 6 song EP. It's interesting that it's those two songs that seem to have been from much earlier, they must've decided hey these could be FBHT songs.

And it's funny to me because I always said The Pedestrian is the least FBHT sounding of FBHT songs and just sounds like Green Day :P 

5 hours ago, Matt. said:

What are the references?

It don't take a genius to be an idiot
It don't take a Jesus to save my soul

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt. said:

What are the references?

Mentions of “idiot” and “jesus”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Yeah the one with the AI cover is AI 

the disc with the tracklist is what I question usually b sides are songs from said album sessions and none of those songs are from the AI sessions to me John should’ve just worded it as “these are unreleased songs” or “random b sides” I dunno just weird lol 

I agree with you. This feels kind of sketchy. 

On 3/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, Matt. said:

What are the references?

Unless I'm mistaken- "It don't take a genius to be an idiot / It don't take a Jesus to save my soul"

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Todd said:

They wouldn’t be paying to get a song mastered if they already released the “final” version of it. I highly doubt any of these songs are Network. 

To me, is very unlikely to master a demo. At least, seems that the b-sides are all finished songs. You don't go to Ted Jensen and drop some dollars in something that is not intended for release.

• Like 2

We're going to have to wait until after someone dies or the band breaks up before we get to hear any of this cool shit. I'd love AI or 21 CB demos. Hell, I'd love any demo they have.  Warner will milk this band for all their worth long after they're done creating new music, and we're all gonna be geezers rockin' out to it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hym.jarred said:

We're going to have to wait until after someone dies or the band breaks up before we get to hear any of this cool shit. I'd love AI or 21 CB demos. Hell, I'd love any demo they have.  Warner will milk this band for all their worth long after they're done creating new music, and we're all gonna be geezers rockin' out to it.

Well, we still have the 21CB demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB1eeL0uLIw

On 3/8/2019 at 5:46 PM, Hammie Stein said:

I doubt it’s a full track list. For example it doesn’t have Youngblood, which Billie confirms was from the C and V sessions. Unless it changed 

in fact the song "too young" has the same duration as the "youngblood"...

33 minutes ago, Léo_Desensitized said:

in fact the song "too young" has the same duration as the "youngblood"...

On 3/9/2019 at 2:50 PM, Todd said:

Youngblood was partially written on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and finished during the RevRad sessions as I recall reading in a magazine around RevRad's release. It often gets confused that it's a C&V song because it was brought up as an example of a recycled old song right after Billie and Mike talked about C&V.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it was never stated when Youngblood was first written, just that it was a song written a while ago. Idk where people are getting "it was written during 21CB era" from

• Like 1

I thought Youngblood was considered a recycled song from C&V because it's similar to She's A Rebel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm pretty sure it was never stated when Youngblood was first written, just that it was a song written a while ago. Idk where people are getting "it was written during 21CB era" from

From a magazine. Where they said it was written on the 21CB tour. Gonna have to do some digging to find it, but some solid proof will finally settle this. 

• Like 1

I'm not friends with John Roecker on my current fb account. Someone should make sure he intends to at least digitize these literally right now.