American Idiot Demos and Never Before Heard B-sides

Alf

23 minutes ago, Alf said:

Guys, look at this post that John Roecker did on his Facebook. He claims that these CDs has 'the actual demos of American Idiot recorded in San Francisco. The other demos of songs that did not make the album that were to be considered for b-sides".

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157204071850439&set=a.10151172837540439&type=3&theater

Is his post private or did he take it down? I’m not seeing anything at the link or on his page. Do you have a screenshot or copy of the text?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Is his post private or did he take it down? I’m not seeing anything at the link or on his page. Do you have a screenshot or copy of the text?

It's friends only, i will update the OP

Dammit, another tease by John. It's always the same, he has all this footage, but won't share it - most likely because he's not allowed to.

Too bad. This damn post got me interested again, haha

• Like 1

The picture isn’t showing up

Just now, Karl Karlson said:

Dammit, another tease by John. It's always the same, he has all this footage, but won't share it - most likely because he's not allowed to.

Too bad. This damn post got me interested again, haha

I know, it’s frustrating 

Pretty sure most of the songs on the B Sides make up the majority of Cigarettes & Valentines. Maybe it did exist after all 🤔 

• Like 2

The references to AI in the lyrics of The Pedestrian makes so much more sense now.

Also pokes a giant hole in my theory that the song C&V was written during the Breakdown era.

The thing is, this can't be demos. You don't send demos to mastering services.

Maybe they intended to make singles with more b-sides, but after the success of the album they started to use live tracks

• Like 3

Reposted here:

So this is the tracklist:

Too Much Too Soon
Shoplifter
Governator
Horseshoes & Handgrenades
The Pedestrian
Too Young
Lights Out
Lonely (One More Year)
Cigarettes & Valentines
End Of The World
Walk Away
Broadway
Waste Away
Dropout
19th nervous breakdown  

Favorite Son

Interesting that Pedestrian and Broadway were originally GD songs. And is it possible that this is not a random collection of demos or b-sides but the actual tracklist for C&V?  And Walk Away dates that far back?  I would love to hear some of these unfamiliar titles.

With the exception of the last two tracks, this very well could have been what C&V was supposed to be. I have a hard time imagining a cover being on a Green Day album at this point, and Favorite Son is listed as a bonus track.

50 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Reposted here:

So this is the tracklist:

Too Much Too Soon
Shoplifter
Governator
Horseshoes & Handgrenades
The Pedestrian
Too Young
Lights Out
Lonely (One More Year)
Cigarettes & Valentines
End Of The World
Walk Away
Broadway
Waste Away
Dropout
19th nervous breakdown  

Favorite Son

Interesting that Pedestrian and Broadway were originally GD songs. And is it possible that this is not a random collection of demos or b-sides but the actual tracklist for C&V?  And Walk Away dates that far back?  I would love to hear some of these unfamiliar titles.

I doubt it’s a full track list. For example it doesn’t have Youngblood, which Billie confirms was from the C and V sessions. Unless it changed names?

7 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

They supposedly did 19th nervous during Ninrod...

Wasn't that one of the unfinished tracks? I don't have a link handy but I remember a thread here mentioning a lot of songs being half-finished and ultimately abandoned. It's plausible they started from scratch and actually completed it this time around.

35 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Wasn't that one of the unfinished tracks? I don't have a link handy but I remember a thread here mentioning a lot of songs being half-finished and ultimately abandoned. It's plausible they started from scratch and actually completed it this time around.

Maybe but I doubt it escp with a cover song 

also Horseshoes? Billie has said that he had the riff to it and Butch Vig made him write and finish it during the 21st sessions... 

this cd is just weird I don’t think it’s AI demos if this cd is even real 

What about if this is a tease for an AI 15th Anniversary Edition??? Sad we can't listen to these unreleased tracks and demos...

9 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

What about if this is a tease for an AI 15th Anniversary Edition??? Sad we can't listen to these unreleased tracks and demos...

Oh don’t even joke about that now I’ll be so disappointed if it doesn’t happen 😜

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh don’t even joke about that now I’ll be so disappointed if it doesn’t happen 😜

I hope this stuff will be released someday....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hammie Stein said:

I doubt it’s a full track list. For example it doesn’t have Youngblood, which Billie confirms was from the C and V sessions. Unless it changed names?

Youngblood was partially written on the 21st Century Breakdown tour and finished during the RevRad sessions as I recall reading in a magazine around RevRad's release. It often gets confused that it's a C&V song because it was brought up as an example of a recycled old song right after Billie and Mike talked about C&V. 

6 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Sadly, 15 is not a major anniversary. If Dookie didn't get anything for 25, American Idiot certainly won't get anything for 15. And I doubt John Roecker would be "in the know" if they did have anything special planned for the anniversary. 

8 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

They supposedly did 19th nervous during Ninrod...

Seems they must have been determined to finish recording it, since it was scrapped during the Nimrod sessions. I do hope we get to hear it someday, it's one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I don’t know what John’s FB post says but I don’t buy that those are AI demos disc I think what he has is just a random Warner office discs and he’s just calling it AI demos 

labels will put together random tapes/cds/usb of random songs to listen to or review etc like I have a Nirvana cassette from DGC that’s just a collection of random songs that was then unreleased for certain office members to listen and review so that cd in the pic just seems to be one of those label office use discs of random songs 

what’s throwing me off is the Sterling Sound cover Ted Jensen isn’t cheap at all and at 16 songs that’s over 6 figures for stuff not being used and Horseshoes being listed in Guitar World 2009 Billie talked that he had the riff but didn’t like it but Butch forced him to finish the riff and make a song from it 

fucking John for teasing the picture release the cd damn it send it to @Todd to let him upload it 

John said "One is the actual demos of American Idiot recorded in San Francisco. The other demos of songs that did not make the album that were to be considered for b-sides." The one on the right without a tracklist is the CD with demos, the one with the tracklist is the CD of b-sides. I would love if John sent the CD to me, but sadly he would never do that. 

• Like 2

Fucking hell man. This is quite the heavy drop for what is basically an “Oh by the way” post.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Todd said:

John said "One is the actual demos of American Idiot recorded in San Francisco. The other demos of songs that did not make the album that were to be considered for b-sides." The one on the right without a tracklist is the CD with demos, the one with the tracklist is the CD of b-sides. I would love if John sent the CD to me, but sadly he would never do that. 

Yeah the one with the AI cover is AI 

the disc with the tracklist is what I question usually b sides are songs from said album sessions and none of those songs are from the AI sessions to me John should’ve just worded it as “these are unreleased songs” or “random b sides” I dunno just weird lol 

• Like 1