Best three song run on an album?

TracksAtChristieRoad

It's an interesting question, I often cut up albums listening in bits of 2 to 4 songs, and I've made my own favorite over time. Here are my favorite rows of 3 and also pairs of songs, in accordance with how I prefer to listen to them:

1039 SOSH: I know it's the songs Billie said he would accept to get rid of in first, because he finds them cringy now, but I love Dry Ice / Only of You / The One That I Want. For the rest my favorite songs on there are a bit dispersed.

Kerplunk: One of My Lies/ 80/ Android

Dookie: I agree with @Alf, Pulling Teeth/ Basket Case/ She. or WICA/ Coming Clean for a pair

Insomniac: 86/ Panic Song/ Stuart & the Ave

Nimrod: The Grouch/ Redundant / Scattered or Walking Alone/ Reject

Warning: I agree with Waiting/ Minority / MDP but I also like Deadbeat Holiday / Hold On.

AI: I will go for the second half since we hear it less live. Extraordinary Girl/ Letterbomb/ Wake Me Up or Homecoming / Whatshername. (I can't put WMUWSE and Whatshername in the same row of 3, it's too depressing)

21CB :Viva la Gloria? / Restless Heart Syndrome (even if it's even more depressing :rolleyes: but I feel that these two just need each other; and for me Horseshoes & Handgrenades belongs to the last part of the album, so unless I listen to the album in full I stop after RHS) & Static Age / 21 Guns

Uno: for pairs: Nuclear Family / Stay The Night (I love Carpe Diem but less than the two first, so...) or even more Fell For You / Loss of Control, I can listen all day long to these two; and for a triplet, definitely Sweet 16/ Rusty James / Oh Love

Dos: my fave songs are alone here and there so as for the best 3 in a row I'd say Lady Cobra / Nightlife/ Wow! That's Loud (as for Stray Heart, once I hear it I just want to hear it over and over, alone, so it's hard putting it in a triplet :P

Tre: Brutal Love / Missing You or Amanda / Walk Away (must be my most listened pairs of songs on album), and for a row of 3 I'd say the last 3: Dirty Rotten Bastards, 99Rev and The Forgotten.

RevRad: Somewhere Now / Bang Bang / Revolution Radio, guys? :wub:, and then I mostly agree with @Little Boy Named Airplane but for me it's more Outlaws/ Bouncing Off The Walls / Still Breathing or TDTD / Troubled Times / Forever Now for an epic boost. (I can't listen to BOTW without Still Breathing behind, it just perfectly dives into one another).

A word for The Longshot : as for the trilogy I find it easier to make duets, my favorite would be LIFL/ Cult Hero and Kill Your Friends / Happiness. For a favorite 3 in a row perhaps the first 3: The Last Time / Taxi Driver / Chasing a ghost.

Pfew! :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Bellie said:

1039 SOSH: I know it's the songs Billie said he would accept to get rid of in first, because he finds them cringy now, but I love Dry Ice / Only of You / The One That I Want. For the rest my favorite songs on there are a bit dispersed.

I haven't actually seen Billie talk about the songs on 39/smooth. Did he say that in an interview or something?

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I haven't actually seen Billie talk about the songs on 39/smooth. Did he say that in an interview or something?

It's more the 1000 Hours EP specifically, when he was asked about what his most embarrassing song is he said 1000 Hours because "not only was it not for a band to play or to play as a band, it's just the sappiest song about a girl to the point where it's like a bad John Hughes movie"

They did also used to acknowledge that their songs were sappy/all about girls in general a lot as well, although I can't think of a particular interview right now. For the most part they owned that, just had to acknowledge it and joke about it a bit being a punk band and playing in a scene with a lot of much harder bands etc.

So yeah @The Bellie you didn't include 1000 Hours so you're good :D. Just want to add that I loooove The One I Want, it's just the most sweet and earnest song and the guitar solo is the best, has so much emotion in it.

I consider classic albums like Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall (to a lesser extent), Demon Days and Plastic Beach, Cavern by Phish, Lawnboy by Phish (all my favorite albums don’t have a bad song).

This was/is a great thread and a good question and I’ve thought on it and I’ve come to realize that I can’t pick a triple run because as unintended as it was my favorite bands always have albums where I like ever song making it hard to pick the 3.

I would say GDs “perfect” (meaning I love every song depending on my mood) is Dookie, AI, TCBD and so pick any triple set from those albums and those are my favorites. Not to say there isn’t a time I would want to pick a different three.

Not anymore but the only album on first listen that I knew was a legacy album was AI on first listen so on nostalgia alone and DEFINITELY NOT TODAY, if I had a gun to my head (again :) ), I would choose American Idiot, JOS, and Holiday > BOBD... I mean yeah, today were sick of those songs (inasmuch as one can be sick of a GD song) but upon first listen, those 3 songs rocked my world. I was fucking giddy the first time I listened to it.

I remember who I was with, where I was and what I thought, 14 fucking years ago! 

So that’s what I’m going with although they are not even my favorite 3 songs but I had to state something in here.

Altgough @pouty bitch brought up a great random three song run with Gloria, Restless, and HS&HG which shall go down as the most underrated song of all time let alone from just Green Day. How is HAHG not a staple song and one of their most famous? It’s life’s bihhear mystery to me. 

My first choice is 21st Century Breakdown/Know Your Enemy/¡Viva la Gloria! (and also Song of the Century as a prologue). The listener is dramatically introduced to Christian, who's a side of Billie and the "21st Century Breakdown" he/they live in. Which is also in my opinion one of the best songs Billie has ever written and Green Day's best opener. Know Your Enemy might not be the album's best track, but it immediately throws you deeper into the narrative. Christian is questioning himself, or Gloria is questioning him, or Billie is just questioning himself or the listener; instead of settling for what they have in 21st Century Breakdown. Like this quote of Mike's:

“I think the enemy could be your own complacency, and being satisfied with the way things are, yet still frustrated. Or it could be anything from prescription drugs to the people in power in your government.” (source)

I like this one of Billie's too. I think the song goes deeper than people give it credit for. Sure, it's repetitive, but to me that's part of how it's questioning its characters or the listener.

“Know Your Enemy is about empowering yourself, like within yourself. There’s no specific enemy out there. It’s just trying to stay engaged and educated to the world - being able to read between the lines and figure out what the bullshit is, but also trying to find the truth.” (source)

Then we get to my favourite song of all time, ¡Viva la Gloria! :wub: In an album and time of confusion, destruction and panic, an inspiring woman has found a home in her "scars and ammunition" and brings her "amnesty down to the broken hearted." It's clear she's endured hardship, but even negative old Christian can still encourage her never to "put away your burning light." The fact she loses that spark later doesn't sour that message, because it shows how even the strongest people break down sometimes.

So you go from Christian, who's a destructive person or side of Billie, to Gloria who's an inspiring and positive person or side of Billie. You get two vastly different outlooks on life and the 21st century. You get encouraged to question yourself and life and never to give up. For me, those three songs alone are quite a trip.

I will never tire of talking about 21st Century Breakdown, no matter how over enthusiastic I am :happy: 

26 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It's more the 1000 Hours EP specifically, when he was asked about what his most embarrassing song is he said 1000 Hours because "not only was it not for a band to play or to play as a band, it's just the sappiest song about a girl to the point where it's like a bad John Hughes movie"

They did also used to acknowledge that their songs were sappy/all about girls in general a lot as well, although I can't think of a particular interview right now. For the most part they owned that, just had to acknowledge it and joke about it a bit being a punk band and playing in a scene with a lot of much harder bands etc.

So yeah @The Bellie you didn't include 1000 Hours so you're good :D. Just want to add that I loooove The One I Want, it's just the most sweet and earnest song and the guitar solo is the best, has so much emotion in it.

In one of the 21st Century Breakdown interviews, Billie compared Last Night on Earth to 1000 hours (1:35) calling that "some sappy shit" and referring to LNOE "the full sap"

2 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

My first choice is 21st Century Breakdown, Know Your Enemy and ¡Viva la Gloria! (and also Song of the Century as a prologue). The listener is dramatically introduced to Christian, who's a side of Billie and the "21st Century Breakdown" he/they live in. Which is also in my opinion one of the best songs Billie has ever written and Green Day's best opener. Know Your Enemy might not be the album's best track, but it immediately throws you deeper into the narrative. Christian is questioning himself, or Gloria is questioning him, or Billie is just questioning himself or the listener; instead of settling for what they have in 21st Century Breakdown. Like this quote of Mike's:

“I think the enemy could be your own complacency, and being satisfied with the way things are, yet still frustrated. Or it could be anything from prescription drugs to the people in power in your government.” (source)

I like this one of Billie's too. I think the song goes deeper than people give it credit for. Sure, it's repetitive, but to me that's part of how it's questioning its characters or the listener.

“Know Your Enemy is about empowering yourself, like within yourself. There’s no specific enemy out there. It’s just trying to stay engaged and educated to the world - being able to read between the lines and figure out what the bullshit is, but also trying to find the truth.” (source)

Then we get to my favourite song of all time, ¡Viva la Gloria! :wub: In an album and time of confusion, destruction and panic, an inspiring woman has found a home in her "scars and ammunition" and brings her "amnesty down to the broken hearted." It's clear she's endured hardship, but even negative old Christian can still encourage her never to "put away your burning light." The fact she loses that spark later doesn't sour that message, because it shows how even the strongest people break down sometimes.

So you go from Christian, who's a destructive person or side of Billie, to Gloria who's an inspiring and positive person or side of Billie. You get two vastly different outlooks on life and the 21st century. You get encouraged to question yourself and life and never to give up. For me, those three songs alone are quite a trip.

I will never tire of talking about 21st Century Breakdown, no matter how over enthusiastic I am :happy: 

Love this. Well said.

36 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

In one of the 21st Century Breakdown interviews, Billie compared Last Night on Earth to 1000 hours (1:35) calling that "some sappy shit" and referring to LNOE "the full sap"

Haha, I guess he's comfortable being sappy then

6 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I LOVE THE FULL SAP :lol:

@Hermione help on mobile it won't let me take out the video :(

despite what my name may have you believe, I'm not even a huge fan of RevRad, but y'all are fuckin stupid if you don't see that the obvious answer is Somewhere Now / Bang Bang / Revolution Radio

1 hour ago, concretedream said:

despite what my name may have you believe, I'm not even a huge fan of RevRad, but y'all are fuckin stupid if you don't see that the obvious answer is Somewhere Now / Bang Bang / Revolution Radio

Yeah RevRad really grew on me.  

& Bang Bang is still the bomb.

Mate calm down calling everyone fuckin stupid🤬

I love Rev Rad but I think the most exceptional songs are spread out quite evenly through the album so I can't think of that great a run. If a couple of songs were moved and there was a run of Somewhere Now, Say Goodbye, Outlaws to open the album then we'd be talking :P 

Aliens Exist | Going Away to College | What's My Age Again? is my answer.

ALBUM: Enema of the State
ARTIST: blink-182
ARTIST MEMBERS: Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, Travis Barker

Freeze Up

Artificial Life

Room Without a Window

:Energy - Operation Ivy

This thread is in Green Day Chat, which means it refers to Green Day albums

19 hours ago, The Insider said:

Yeah RevRad really grew on me.  

& Bang Bang is still the bomb.

Mate calm down calling everyone fuckin stupid🤬

exaggeration for the sake of comedy my dude, no one's actually stupid for having an opinion

however:

16 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Aliens Exist | Going Away to College | What's My Age Again? is my answer.

ALBUM: Enema of the State
ARTIST: blink-182
ARTIST MEMBERS: Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, Travis Barker

this guy's fuckin stupid, it's WMAA / Dysentery Gary / Adam's Song without a shadow of a doubt, I genuinely don't understand how you could think there's a better three song run on Enema than that...

27 minutes ago, hym.jarred said:

OMG, @Hermione you are just the worst sometimes. Chill.

@Not as cool as Tré Cool That sad was out of spite and nothing else.

Lol I just thought you'd genuinely clicked the thread and thought it was an Other Artists thread or something, post was to avoid others thinking the same.

6 hours ago, concretedream said:

exaggeration for the sake of comedy my dude, no one's actually stupid for having an opinion

however:

this guy's fuckin stupid, it's WMAA / Dysentery Gary / Adam's Song without a shadow of a doubt, I genuinely don't understand how you could think there's a better three song run on Enema than that...

Don't call people fucking stupid please, I know it's exaggeration but not everyone does when reading online (and the person you're calling that is 12 years old btw). There's no need to make the conversation hostile so just speak to people civilly. 

23 hours ago, Hermione said:

This thread is in Green Day Chat, which means it refers to Green Day albums

Oh my fucking God the original poster didn't even say it was for gd though and honestly to me gd didn't ever make as good a 3 song run as blink-182 

On 3/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, pouty bitch said:

though I adore pretty much every song on Dos

By that I assume you mean all songs except nightlife

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

Don't call people fucking stupid please

I am fucking stupid though. But I stand by my statement, @concretedream, aliens/going away/what's my age is the best. 

19 minutes ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Oh my fucking God the original poster didn't even say it was for gd though and honestly to me gd didn't ever make as good a 3 song run as blink-182 

It's literally in the Green Day part of the forum though lol, it goes without saying

2 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

No actually, I like Nightlife.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:57 PM, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think I saw it in a vid of an interview during Rev Rad. But I've seen so many I can't remember which :P it's just one quote that stayed in mind. The question was "what album of your discography would go out first if you should choose?" and Billie said something like "for my fans, I think it would be Warning" (noticed he didn't say the trilogy!), "but for me, I'd let go of our first EP", so indeed the 1000 Hours one; and he said it was because it's too embarrassing. 

On 3/9/2019 at 5:31 PM, Hermione said:

Haha, I guess he's comfortable being sappy then

Well, in all cases he can't prevent himself from being sappy :wub: and it's even better knowing he can also write super badass songs. I love that he can go from growling Bang Bang at the beginning of a gig and finish with a sappy Ordinary World. Every state he gets in is just translated in music. I really have a soft spot for sappy songs, several of them are among my fave GD songs (LNOE not being one of them, even though it's beautiful).

10 minutes ago, The Bellie said:

I think I saw it in a vid of an interview during Rev Rad. But I've seen so many I can't remember which :P it's just one quote that stayed in mind. The question was "what album of your discography would go out first if you should choose?" and Billie said something like "for my fans, I think it would be Warning" (noticed he didn't say the trilogy!), "but for me, I'd let go of our first EP", so indeed the 1000 Hours one; and he said it was because it's too embarrassing. 

Well, in all cases he can't prevent himself from being sappy :wub: and it's even better knowing he can also write super badass songs. I love that he can go from growling Bang Bang at the beginning of a gig and finish with a sappy Ordinary World. Every state he gets in is just translated in music. I really have a soft spot for sappy songs, several of them are among my fave GD songs (LNOE not being one of them, even though it's beautiful).

That's a weird question to ask in an interview... It implies that the interviewer thinks part of their discography is worth removing

3 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

I am fucking stupid though. But I stand by my statement, @concretedream, aliens/going away/what's my age is the best. 

This is why I pointed it out :P, to let it be known that if a thread is in Green Day Chat it can be assumed to be asking about Green Day. It's no big deal, just a public service announcement.

1 hour ago, The Bellie said:

I love this too :wub: 

9 hours ago, Hermione said:

Lol I just thought you'd genuinely clicked the thread and thought it was an Other Artists thread or something, post was to avoid others thinking the same.

oyfMjV2.jpg

Archived