Best three song run on an album?

TracksAtChristieRoad

Best 3 song run on a single album tracklist (no compilations)

thought I would pick your guys brains a bit. a friend of mine asked me this same question. 

they came up with

Waiting, Minority and Macy's day parade ( but it being the weakest)

of course, the 2 song run is easy (bobd/holiday, are we the waiting/st jimmy etc.)

here are my picks

Wake Me Up When September Ends
Homecoming
Whatsername

Stuart and the Ave
Brain Stew
 Jaded

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

Homecoming
Whatsername

Agree, Homecoming being the weakest. Mine would probably be:

The Grouch

Redundant

Scattered

or

Static Age

21 Guns

American Eulogy/Mass Hysteria/Modern World

For the 2 combo probably

Armatage Shanks

Brat

or

Jinx

Haushinka

I'm curious to see everyone else's :happy:

47 minutes ago, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

thought I would pick your guys brains a bit. a friend of mine asked me this same question. 

they came up with

Waiting, Minority and Macy's day parade ( but it being the weakest)

of course, the 2 song run is easy (bobd/holiday, are we the waiting/st jimmy etc.)

here are my picks

Homecoming
Whatsername

Stuart and the Ave
Brain Stew
 Jaded

Interesting to see this, as I've actually given this some thought before! For me, has to be One of My Lies/80/Android. I do also agree with @maryjanewhatsername; Static Age/21 Guns/American Eulogy is a very strong combo.

8 hours ago, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

Viva La Gloria (Little Girl)

Restless Heart Syndrome

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

Also:

Makeout Party

Stray Heart

Ashley

(although I adore pretty much every song on Dos so I could've picked any three tbh.:wub: Makeout Party and Ashley are my absolute favourites though.)

@TracksAtChristieRoad I've split this from the Q&A thread (as like Alissa mentioned it's more a topic of discussion than just a question about Green Day you want an answer to)

Please remember to say something about why you've chosen the songs etc so there there's some discussion and it isn't just a "list thread"

There's a couple of candidates on Nimrod for me. I like Uptight - Last Ride In - Jinx (or to be greedy Jinx/Haushinka :P) just because I find it so genius to have an "interval" in the middle of the album with a chilled out song to relax to, sandwiched by a frantic depressed song and a fast paced crazy song. Then later there's Take Back - King For a Day - Good Riddance, which is just the ultimate in extreme Green Day song experiments one after the other, each one unique and contrasting with the one before. 

Pulling Teeth + Basket Case + She

Armatage + Brat + Stuck With Me

Nice Guys + Hitchin' + The Grouch

The full Dookie tracklist is the best 14/ 15 if you want to be a pedant. Perfection.

1. Stay The Night, Carpe Diem, Let Yourself Go

2. X-Kid, Sex Drugs and Violence, LBNT

3. Waiting, Minority, Macy’s Day Parade

Hitchin' a Ride, The Grouch, Redundant.  Three of my top 15 all in a row.

Nimrod in general has a lot of great "all in a row" ones.  All the Time, Worry Rock, and Platypus is another good one.  Take out Scattered (sorry, I'm one of the few that feels meh about it), and you'd have a phenomenal 6 set.  KFAD and Good Riddance also are in my top 15; I don't like Take Back or Prosthetic Head as much, although I think PH has some of the best lyrics, soundwise (as opposed to having a deep, profound, life changing meaning).

This is an interesting question, and the first that came to mind was the first 3 on Nimrod (Nice Guys, Hitchin, The Grouch.) I think it's a really strong start to the album and gives a good summary of the sound (for the most part loud, fast and experimental.) 

Other contenders for me are:

86/Panic Song/Stuart & The Ave - These three songs I found could be interpreted as a story - being kicked out, panicking about it and then accepting it. Which I think is pretty cool. 

Waiting/Minority/Macy's Day Parade - Three great singles in a row at the end of the album. 

East Jesus Nowhere/Peacemaker/Last of the American Girls - Act 2 of 21CB is my favourite act and remember listening to these three songs in a row and thinking 'damn, they can do no wrong!'

Ashley/Baby Eyes/Lady Cobra - I actually like these three songs and they all have a similar theme, which is basically murderous women :lol: 

First that came to mind was

Coming Clean + Emenius Sleepus + In the End

Even though I wouldn't consider any of these favourite tracks individually, together I think they work really great together towards the end of the album

It's hard to think of any more cause Green Day can usually do perfect 10+ song runs

Maybe it's because I keep listening to it since last month but my answer is:

Still Breathing
Youngblood
Too Dumb To Die

2 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

East Jesus Nowhere/Peacemaker/Last of the American Girls - Act 2 of 21CB is my favourite act and remember listening to these three songs in a row and thinking 'damn, they can do no wrong!'

Ashley/Baby Eyes/Lady Cobra - I actually like these three songs and they all have a similar theme, which is basically murderous women :lol: 

I had the same reaction when I reached that part of 21CB and there may have been tears of joy involved I was so overwhelmed with how good it was.

I thought in Baby Eyes he was speaking about himself (“Year of the rat” being 1972 and “last of the litter” also describing him).

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Still Breathing
Youngblood
Too Dumb To Die

Unpopular opinion but I would say @Adorkable would agree with you.

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I had the same reaction when I reached that part of 21CB and there may have been tears of joy involved I was so overwhelmed with how good it was.

I thought in Baby Eyes he was speaking about himself (“Year of the rat” being 1972 and “last of the litter” also describing him).

Yes, it was a shift in the album that I felt so distinctly and made me think ‘woah, this is special.’

And yeah, he probably is, and he’s the ‘murderer’ in the song, but I think Baby Eyes is the person he’s talking to so I’ll just loosely interpret it as two murderous people together so the three songs kind of tie in :lol: 

Still super stick by my Static Age/21 Guns/Mass Hysteria opinion :P also just love The Grouch/Redundant/Scattered ((i love Scattered, so much)). And although the Tril is my least favorite Green Day moment, Carpe Diem/Let Yourself Go/Kill the DJ is so good! I'd say Stay the Night, but after listening to the acoustic version I don't dig the regular version as much :lol: 

8 hours ago, Montclare said:

Hitchin' a Ride, The Grouch, Redundant.  Three of my top 15 all in a row.

Nimrod in general has a lot of great "all in a row" ones.  All the Time, Worry Rock, and Platypus is another good one.  Take out Scattered (sorry, I'm one of the few that feels meh about it), and you'd have a phenomenal 6 set.  KFAD and Good Riddance also are in my top 15; I don't like Take Back or Prosthetic Head as much, although I think PH has some of the best lyrics, soundwise (as opposed to having a deep, profound, life changing meaning).

Oh yeah let me second that one too just for sheer song quality

And yeah pretty much all of Nimrod all in a row is genius! Not only great songs but an inspired order and loads of great contrasting and complementing moments.

1 hour ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Still super stick by my Static Age/21 Guns/Mass Hysteria opinion :P also just love The Grouch/Redundant/Scattered ((i love Scattered, so much)). And although the Tril is my least favorite Green Day moment, Carpe Diem/Let Yourself Go/Kill the DJ is so good! I'd say Stay the Night, but after listening to the acoustic version I don't dig the regular version as much :lol: 

But the original version of Stay the Night is so much better :ermm:

The acoustic to me is sooo lackluster, I honestly forgot it existed until you mentioned it

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

The acoustic to me is sooo lackluster, I honestly forgot it existed until you mentioned it

I love it because he sounds so sleepy and with headphones on it’s like he’s singing it right next to you (off to fangirl) 😍❤️

Just now, Christian's Inferno! said:

I just love the rawness of his voice, and I'm a total hoe for acoustics! :P I do like the original, but not nearly as much now. I'm weird :lol:

I agree the acoustic version is special. The way he sings it quietly to the mic on his own with no studio magic is so like, intimate, that it's like a window to his soul and/or like he's singing directly to you :P. I wouldn't argue that it's a "better version" but it's just a cool/special thing.

Nice Guys Finish Last
Hitchin a Ride
The Grouch

Reject (Underrated and one of the best songs on the album)
Take Back
King For a Day

Warning
Blood, Sex and Booze
Church on Sunday

Some great 2 song runs for me are:

Stuck With Me
Geek Stink Breath

Redundant
Scattered

Panic Song

And obviously Jinx/Haushinka, which is epic.

As ever, I can’t pin myself down with one answer to this, have gone through it agreeing with most of your answers but I have to agree with @NationUnderdog about jinx/haushinka and it’s got to be in the most underrated list too.

also I agree with @Hermione about stay the night, the acoustic version is just a totally different thing, it really sounds like there’s just me and him in the room, you have to listen to it on headphones if you haven’t already. 💕💕💥

• Hermione changed the title to Best three song run on an album?
On 3/7/2019 at 3:52 AM, pouty bitch said:

Viva La Gloria (Little Girl)

Restless Heart Syndrome

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

Also:

Makeout Party

Stray Heart

Ashley

(although I adore pretty much every song on Dos so I could've picked any three tbh.:wub: Makeout Party and Ashley are my absolute favourites though.)

Yes!

Archived