Billie Joe Armstrong on new Morrissey Album

dirnt286

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, it's not even the collab or anything to do with Billie I give a shit about at this point. It's the fact it's enabled a discussion where racism - a real, harmful issue that is some people's daily existence - is being dismissed as a "differing opinion" that should be "respected." Or even that calling racism out is comparable to or worse than racism itself. Read Savannah's posts before you tell me this isn't happening.

Racism is not an opinion. Most British employers will fire workers for being racist if a person of colour reports it. If a colleague calls me a terrorist or threatens to harm me I will not ignore it because I have to work with them. Because, let me say it again - it's not an opinion. It directly harms me. This isn't about Morrissey or Billie. It's about racism as a whole being dismissed. People of colour should not have to read this on a Green Day forum of all places.

As for Billie's opinion on our posts, I can't believe that's even been brought up? :mellow: People are voicing their thoughts for themselves, not for him to read. I may love his music, but a white man's opinion on how I feel about racism is completely irrelevant to me.

Came here to read what people think about the song and instead got 20 pages about politics and racism 

Just now, Cunt said:

Came here to read what people think about the song and instead got 20 pages about politics and racism 

Same. I don't even know if people find the song good.

Pretty sure there's only been 1/5 of a page actually discussing the song and how it sounds

The upside of GDC being shut down was that this thread was temporarily dead

21 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

Read Savannah's posts before you tell me this isn't happening.

No one calls anything out. I just told you that it's not the solution to exclude people that are racists from society and posted a link to show what happens if people that are left or right wing got into a huge crowd. 

Nobody justifies it. For sure racism is not okay and really bad, but what misses is the definition. Not anything people say can be clarified as racism and that's the problem. There is a huge scope of interpretation.

21 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

it's not an opinion.

It is. There are huge scopes of interpretation what kind of statement you evaluate as racist or not.  And I don't mean the people who call someone from africa bad names. 

I will give you an example: A lady with white skin color wouldn't like to sit next to a lady with black skin color.  You just see the behavior that she prefers to sit not next to the lady with black skin color. So you can start interpretations. Is it, because the lady of white skin color is a racist or is it because the lady wants to be alone or has other reasons?

The thing is: People are extremely sensitive when it comes to this topic and not to justify it: They  can come to hasty conclusions like you can see regarding the whole Morrissey thing.

This whole issue about debating on racism (where does it start? where does it end? ) divides people and polarizes. 

If you differentiate into black or white you just have the best requirements for a civil war and that can not be what anybody wants. :ermm:

Call me crazy, but I think the way people of colour feel about racism is more important than whether or not the song is good. By the way, racism is never an opinion.

9 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

By the way, racism is never an opinion

You can start interpretations about racism and activities that are racist  or not  as you can see on my example with the lady in the bus. As far as you can interpretate something, it can fit to the synonyme of an opinion.

For sure in general racism is a definition for a behavior too.

But as I said. We can debate about it for another 100 pages, but it doesn't change that Billie already recorded with Morrissey. 

However, I will just stop listening to green day if he collaberates with trump to record a song, so it doesn't matter to me :confused:

5 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

but it doesn't change that Billie already recorded with Morrissey. 

I'm not asking for that to change. People aren't even talking about that anymore as has been pointed out multiple times.

10 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Call me crazy, but I think the way people of colour feel about racism is more important than whether or not the song is good. By the way, racism is never an opinion.

Call me crazy but when I come into a thread talking about a song BJA is involved with I want to here what people think about the song not politics and racism. I hate don’t like Billies politics but I don’t go around complaining about it all the time. 

16 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I'm not asking for that to change. People aren't even talking about that anymore as has been pointed out multiple times.

Then, why are we discussing it here? 

I think I speak for all if I say, racism is not okay and really bad. But to see where it starts is not always that easy how it pretends to be or like some members say. 

Is it racism if you don't want to work with a co worker who is african ancestry because he has a perfume that you are allergic too (bad example I know) or is it racism if you sit on a table with some racist and eat a banana with him? Does this makes you a racist? There are thousand things and you can discuss it over and over.

It's not always that easy to classify racism like somebody who is calling someone with black skin color bad names. Where does racism start is the question?

If your travelling to south africa for vaccation you can feel that this conflict is still present. I would say if you travel to Johannesburg you can make many experiences considering this whole issue.

Some years ago they had beaches that divided people of white color from people with black skin color and I was staying in front of a shop saying: No whites allowed here from the Apartheid. Crazy, all I can say.

You don't want to know how I felt sometimes. 

14 minutes ago, Cunt said:

Call me crazy but when I come into a thread talking about a song BJA is involved with I want to here what people think about the song not politics and racism. I hate don’t like Billies politics but I don’t go around complaining about it all the time. 

So now we're outright saying wanting to read about opinions on a song (which by the way involves a racially controversial figure, so I'm not sure what you expect) is more important than victims of racism. Cool.

But maybe address the members who are actually dismissing racism and then your poor soul won't have to scroll through so many political posts. To soothe your aching fingers, I think the song is OK but forgettable.

I still wonder why BJAs official account is still up.

I bet my ass that he would deactivate it after all the comments :D

14 minutes ago, solongfromthestars said:

So now we're outright saying wanting to read about opinions on a song (which by the way involves a racially controversial figure, so I'm not sure what you expect) is more important than victims of racism. Cool.

But maybe address the members who are actually dismissing racism and then your poor soul won't have to scroll through so many political posts. To soothe your aching fingers, I think the song is OK but forgettable.

When did I ever say it was more important? I’m sorry that I’m not a liberal and want to drag racism and politics into every single thing in my life. 

28 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

I still wonder why BJAs official account is still up.

Yeah, he should gtfo.

11 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

It's scary how far his collaboration with morrissey divides green day fans :blink:

Then maybe dont dismiss racism as an opinion. Two people said they were leaving this forum because of the bending of backwards certain people did to defend Morrisseys comments. Morrissey is an ignorant moron and yes Billie working with him is hyprocritical as fuck. Does it make Bille a racist no but the amount of people on this thread defending what that man has said is just mindboggling. The amount of mental gymnastics someone has to go through to defend racist comments or dismiss them is fucking wild!

1 hour ago, Savannah89 said:

No one calls anything out. I just told you that it's not the solution to exclude people that are racists from society and posted a link to show what happens if people that are left or right wing got into a huge crowd. 

Nobody justifies it. For sure racism is not okay and really bad, but what misses is the definition. Not anything people say can be clarified as racism and that's the problem. There is a huge scope of interpretation.

It is. There are huge scopes of interpretation what kind of statement you evaluate as racist or not.  And I don't mean the people who call someone from africa bad names. 

I will give you an example: A lady with white skin color wouldn't like to sit next to a lady with black skin color.  You just see the behavior that she prefers to sit not next to the lady with black skin color. So you can start interpretations. Is it, because the lady of white skin color is a racist or is it because the lady wants to be alone or has other reasons?

The thing is: People are extremely sensitive when it comes to this topic and not to justify it: They  can come to hasty conclusions like you can see regarding the whole Morrissey thing.

This whole issue about debating on racism (where does it start? where does it end? ) divides people and polarizes. 

If you differentiate into black or white you just have the best requirements for a civil war and that can not be what anybody wants. :ermm:

No hasty conclusions were made..he made racist comments thats the end of it. Your example doesnt make any sense and frankly doesnt really make any point. 

2 hours ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

So the song is good?

Imo it’s good but nothing revolutionary, pretty much what I expected 

49 minutes ago, Savannah89 said:

It's scary how far his collaboration with morrissey divides green day fans :blink:

Pretty sure it’s you against most of the forum now. We can all have opinions about the collab but when you start labelling racism as an “opinion” and dismissing individuals who’ve experienced it, you’re gonna divide people. In this case, you’re on one side of the line, everyone else is on the other

2 hours ago, EmmaCharlatan&Saints said:

Then maybe dont dismiss racism as an opinion.

Again or for a better understanding: The acts of racism can be discussed sometimes and often it's not obvious wether something is racistic or not, so yeah, sometimes racism is an interpretation thing and this refers to opinions. The way you use the word racism musn't be the same way I do it for the things I see. For you it might be racistic if somebody avoids sitting next to a man with a black skin color, while I would question if that somebody had a bad day or there might be other reasons or the opposite. 

For sure if somebody calls someone a black or something else it's pretty obvious that it's a racist. But it's not always this way. So yeah, using the word racist refers to opinions. There are definitions what racism is, but there is a huge scope for interpretations where you use the word racist or radical and in which situations and this is what it's all about. In this thread,  for the Billie and Morrissey thing, at tv shows and discussions and so on. When is a racist a racist and at what kind of situations? Should you avoid those persons? Are people who interact with racists racists too? You can spend hours and years to philosophize.

Billie working with him is hyprocritical as fuck. D

And this is your opinion. Not my opinion. Hello tolerance?  Where are you?

Your opinion isn't universal.

Your example doesnt make any sense and frankly doesnt really make any point. 

Again your opinion, because you're not understanding what I'm saying. 

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

racism as an “opinion” and dismissing individuals who’ve experienced it, you’re gonna divide people.

Those are two completely different things.

Not the same.

There is no way I wanted to play racism down. It's a serious thing, but one one side there is a definition what racism is and on the other side, there is a huge scope when and in what kind of situations you call it racism.

Following the oxford disctionary Raciscm is described as predjudice, discrimination or antagonism or directed against someone of a different race.

But nothing is said about the situations and circumstances. So, what someone evaluates as racistic depends on him or her. And this is pure interpreations or his opinion.

Example: Two kids  (white skin color) doesn't want to play with a kid with black skin color. We don't know the circumstances. Is it because of racism or just because they don't like the boy because he is mean or something else? We just have the information that they don't want to play with each other.

Other example: Two kids (white skin color) avoid to play with a boy with black skin color, saying: "We're not playing with you, because you are black." It's totally obvious. This is racism. But in the first example? It can be everything. It's not obvious if it's racism, but people tend so speculate. And that's the point.

To everyone, I hardly care who said what at this point but I support @Savannah89 that whether there is a racism issue here is a matter of opinions. I did my own research about Morrissey and it convinced me he wasn't a racist, to me anyways. No one is responsible for other people leaving the forum, it saddens me personally, and people have the right not to think Billie is hypocritical for doing this collaboration.

I mean racism is an opinion technically. Doesn't mean it's an acceptable opinion. I don't think anyone here means to imply that it is

Flat Earth is an opinion too. But it's not an acceptable one 😂

Archived