dirnt286

Billie Joe Armstrong on new Morrissey Album

pacejunkie punk

They were both at that Johnny Ramone tribute event over the summer. I’m guessing they got to talking about music and one thing led to another. Billie’s always up for anything it seems. 

• Like 2

Green Day In Seattle

Who is Morrissey and what's going on? I'm so confused. Billie's just doing one song on the album?

Rumpelstiltskin2000
22 minutes ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Who is Morrissey and what's going on? I'm so confused. Billie's just doing one song on the album?

He was the frontman of "The Smiths" and went solo in 1988

• Thanks 1

Hermione

Interesting :lol: 

But the thing is when Billie "collaborates" on a song it can often just mean he helped a bit with writing it or plays some guitar or does some backing vocals so you can hardly even tell he's involved :P. Have to see

• Like 4

Mato

Totally unexpected and random, but I love it.

• Like 1

DeJennsitized

Stay woke, Billie

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

pacejunkie punk

I was a fan of the Smiths back in the day but didn’t follow Morrissey into his solo years. I know he’s very vocal about animal rights and vegetarianism but what has he been accused of that’s racist or similar? 

DeJennsitized
1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I was a fan of the Smiths back in the day but didn’t follow Morrissey into his solo years. I know he’s very vocal about animal rights and vegetarianism but what has he been accused of that’s racist or similar? 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-talks-racism-left-wing-hitler-says-sadiq-khan-can-not-talk-properly-2295226

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/ex-morrissey-fans-disown-singer-throwing-anti-racism-party/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacejunkie punk

Huh okay. Didn’t see much in his comments but it’s his support for far right politics that surprises me. This isn’t the first person associated with the far right that Billie has worked with. I wonder if he tries to compartmentalize the music or other association that’s his involvement or whether he hopes to be a positive influence and engage. 

• Like 3

jengd

We've always  known Morrisey was an ass but that doesn't mean he hasn't made a lot of music that people have loved.  I'm not one of them and am not defending him, just saying.

Beerjeezus
43 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

Stay woke, Billie

tumblr_pnl88yO2Ak1wa6lubo1_400.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

pacejunkie punk
21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Billie probably doesn't know any more about him than this either. I'd vaguely heard about his Sadiq Khan comments but that's likely just because I'm in the UK, it wasn't exactly massive news. Probably just knows the same amount most people know about him (that he's very vocal about his causes and can be a dick at times) and then met him at that event. Like, not everyone researches everything about everyone they interact with.

That was the third possibility I considered - that he doesn’t even know about this.  

Not to get into the right and wrong of what he said but when I read the Sadiq Khan comments, it sounded less like racism to me than it was a case of Brits attacking Brits for their lower class or regional accents, there being such past pressure to speak RP English, am I right?  There could certainly be an undercurrent of racism but I’ve seen this same complaint directed at plenty of whites that didn’t sound like they came from West London or work for the BBC.  I know that’s changing but Morrissey is a bitter old bastard with bitter old bastard views.

• Like 3

kaylubd

I never liked The Smiths and Morrisey is an asshole, so I won't be checking it out.

pacejunkie punk

^^^ Interesting article. If people are so curious about what these artists could be thinking, the best way to find out is to ask them. Hopefully someone will. 

• Like 2

jumpsalty

I feel like this was more about doing a duet with Lydia Night than about morrissey, at least I wish it was, but if it’s a collab then I’m guessing they’ll just be on the chorus or something

• Like 2

pacejunkie punk
13 minutes ago, Hermione said:

The thing is Morrissey isn't a politician so most people (including I'd imagine many musicians) don't pay attention to the intricacies of his political opinions. That article is written as if the guy is a political figure and everyone hangs on his every word and these musicians have gone "yeah I've studied everything he's ever said and have no problem with any of it and I'd like to work with him and 'line up to give him my support'", when it's more likely they just like his music and aren't experts on him.

No but he’s still a public enough figure and vocal about his views that’s it’s a fair question why these artists don’t have any reservations about collaborating with him. For instance, when it comes out are the artists going to promote the release on their own social media? If Green Day’s own album comes out a few months after, I would imagine it will come up in interviews. Why did you do it, and they should be prepared to answer.  They have to know enough to not be caught off guard, so you bet they’ve thought about it.

• Like 3