Billie Joe Armstrong on new Morrissey Album

dirnt286

On 4/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, Mato said:

Meanwhile.. who's this Billie Joel guy singing background vocals? 😬

Is Billie Joe the "Bill"in the song?  That's all I could think the whole time I listened to it.  

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The humor in the last page of this thread is why this place is great :happy:

I must admit I was dead laughing especially when Billie sings "come on, Bill!" with that tone :lol: Also, I find that we can hear his vocals pretty well, for background vocals. As if they really wanted us to recognize his voice right away!

@That Dude yeah, I haven't listened to the other songs in Morrissey's album, but assuming it's the only song where they're a Bill, why does Billie intervene precisely on that one? and echoing his own name to the wedding proposal of Morrissey's character's, as talking himself into accepting it, into the imaginary context of the song. And making us wonder, at some point, if it's only in that context... :eyebrows: (PS: i'm kidding, but what I really wonder is if Billie did this homonymy thing on purpose to tease us, knowing Morrissey's reputation :P)

58 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

It's a metaphor for Billie being pulled towards fascism :cry:

Is that the result of your expert psychoanalytical analysis ? :cry:

I'd say, since it's Morrissey who makes the request of wedding, meaning the impulse comes from him, maybe Billie pushes himself to accept in the song, as to avoid having to do it in real life. And Morrissey stops harassing him that way :P

After reading about who this Morrissey guy is, I now have something to say that might not actually piss people off:

What the fuck is BJA thinking?!

14 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

After reading about who this Morrissey guy is, I now have something to say that might not actually piss people off:

Welcome to the conversation 23 pages later.

I was a bit disappointed that Billie didn't have a verse all his own, but not a bad track. 

Maybe this guy'll make an appearnace on the new GREEN DAY 13 record.  You guy would love that.  haha.

19 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Maybe this guy'll make an appearnace on the new GREEN DAY 13 record. 

tumblr_pbrxe8PgrE1wa6lubo1_400.png

That would be the the end of GDC! :lol:

11 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

tumblr_pbrxe8PgrE1wa6lubo1_400.png

That is the exact face Morrissey is making on his wikipedia page!  

Check it out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrissey

What if Billie took over vocals on future Morrissey albums and vise versa? 

14 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

if that happens kill this hellsite

17 hours ago, That Dude said:

I was a bit disappointed that Billie didn't have a verse all his own, but not a bad track. 

Maybe this guy'll make an appearnace on the new GREEN DAY 13 record.  You guy would love that.  haha.

I hope that happens :bunny:

I think they actually sound really good together and Billie’s backing is really good, it’s there but it is backing.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, jengd said:

I think they actually sound really good together and Billie’s backing is really good, it’s there but it is backing.

They compliment each other, which surprised me as I didn’t think they would

• 4 weeks later...

On uk iTunes, I see that Billie collaboration is way outselling any other track on the Morrisey album.

Just now, jengd said:

On uk iTunes, I see that Billie collaboration is way outselling any other track on the Morrisey album.

Its the lead single, its also quite good

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

Its the lead single, its also quite good

Oh doh, didn’t realise it was actually the lead single as not seen or heard anything about it, other than that Billie Joe was doing backing.  

On 4/18/2019 at 6:13 AM, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

The song isn't written by Morrissey and is no way political or about the views that he believes in as a person. I'm pretty sure Billie Joe agreed to do this as a fan of The Smiths.  Have you never worked with somebody with an opposing political view to yourself? 

Listen, I am in no way endorsing Morrissey and never would as my family were victims of WWII. I just take him in for what he is which is a grumpy old English guy who knows fuck all. Sure he had a cool band but it in no way makes him an intelligent or politically relevant person. A guy like Morrissey wants a reaction. If you give him one he wins. 

However, I have read some of his views on royalty and pop stars and have to agree with him on that but he also carried on to talk shit about Robert Smith. He should have lunch with Johnny Rotten. Two old farts that think they're in charge. 

As I was reminded of this... I hope Billie's going to stay out of politics on the next album. I can accept he's okay with Morrissey, but I'm not interested in any preaching from him.

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

As I was reminded of this... I hope Billie's going to stay out of politics on the next album. I can accept he's okay with Morrissey, but I'm not interested in any preaching from him.

Amen! 

It's not that I don't respect Billie Joe's thoughts on this but I really don't believe this is the time. If they were to go into some Anti-Trump direction all that is for him is free advertising. Might as well just donate to his next campaign. 

Also, Billie Joe's thoughts are centered on American politics. Nothing is wrong with that as that is his country and that has been his experience. However, if he was to fully write an entire political album speaking out against the current state of America it just may not jive with others in different political climates. 

For example, here in Canada  we have quite the opposite problem as the states. The states have a lot of threat coming from the right meanwhile Canada has more of a threat coming from the left. The result is the same regardless. Working class people are still thrown under the bus. 

Why couldn’t he have just collaborated with Johnny Marr instead? :wub:

Archived