Billie Joe Armstrong on new Morrissey Album

dirnt286

22 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It would take two seconds if it occurred to him there was a reason to check him out. But there might not have been. If he recently met him and thought he seemed like a cool guy and the only plan was to record a quick cover song his first thought probably wasn't to research his quotes. I just think he was coming into it from a different POV to the people in this thread and it's highly unlikely he had the same amount of info in front of him when he decided to do it so it's hard to judge him over it.

The thing is I don't think that possibility is any more likely than the possibility he did know. My first thought wasn't to research his quotes either; I only did it to provide sources for things I had actually already read in regards to his opinions. I just don't know if the notion that Billie lives in a bubble and couldn't possibly know any background about the people he chooses to work with is any more credible. 

12 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Again, those of you who are offended by Billie contributing to one song with Morrissey have a right to call him out, and you have throughout this thread. And those of us who feel that’s an overreaction have a right to do that also. We are arguing in circles because some of you believe it’s call out-able and some of us don’t. There have been arguments both ways. If it was left at that no problem. But it’s pretty hypocritical to act like it’s just calling him out when some of the arguments are multi paragraph orations about why he’s being called out, why anyone who doesn’t agree is shit, and why the fandom is shit for not agreeing. Again, that is more a statement that some people have failed the purity test. I’m just telling you for future reference, you’re gonna piss a lot of people off with that angle. 

I'm not sure where this purity test stuff is coming from. I had a problem with the glossing over of racist views, so I said so. I said why I thought Morrissey was racist when others said they thought he wasn't. And I said that Billie collaborating with him is indicative of racism being 'not a big deal' or something that can be overlooked, and that's my issue. It's a specific situation I have a problem with and I've explained it several times. And I'll take pissing people off over staying quiet on an issue I feel strongly about 🤷‍♀️

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

The thing is I don't think that possibility is any more likely than the possibility he did know. My first thought wasn't to research his quotes either; I only did it to provide sources for things I had actually already read in regards to his opinions. I just don't know if the notion that Billie lives in a bubble and couldn't possibly know any background about the people he chooses to work with is any more credible. 

I'm not sure where this purity test stuff is coming from. I had a problem with the glossing over of racist views, so I said so. I said why I thought Morrissey was racist when others said they thought he wasn't. And I said that Billie collaborating with him is indicative of racism being 'not a big deal' or something that can be overlooked, and that's my issue. It's a specific situation I have a problem with and I've explained it several times. And I'll take pissing people off over staying quiet on an issue I feel strongly about 🤷‍♀️

I'm not saying he definitely didn't know anything about him, I'm saying we don't know how much he knew or didn't know of the offensive things he's said. And I think the chance of him being aware of as many of the offensive quotes as we've collectively researched in this thread is slim to none. Without knowing whether he's actually "overlooking" things or just unaware of them I won't judge.

27 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

The purity test part is not referring to you or to stating your opinion. 

I haven't been commenting on this because I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but as a casual Smiths fan who lives with a Morrissey superfan and we discuss him and what he's been up to a fair bit, I just want to say that I was unaware of most of Morrissey's controversial comments that were brought up in this thread, so I honestly find it incredibly difficult to believe that Billie was aware of them too. And while I get that people are upset with Morrissey's comments (and rightfully so) and I understand why they're disappointed in Billie for collaborating with him, I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone to condemn Billie on the basis of an assumption that he was aware of the comments, an assumption which may or may not be correct. Judgements should be made on facts, not assumptions, so unless Billie acknowledges the situation in some way (which I highly doubt he will, and I don't expect him to either), it will stay as an assumption and I just can't make a judgement on that.

calling all Chinese a sub-species is disgusting and should absolutely called out. 

If you're into animal rights however, China isn't the place for you. They have a completely different culture to the west in relation to animal rights and it's not seen as cruel. It's not some areas either, it's everywhere. I've visited China a couple of times, they don't waste any part of the animal. Even as far as light snacks on public transport, instead of sandwiches and crisps it's Chickens feet and miscellaneous pieces of meat mass produced in plastic covers, My friend an I endearingly renamed it "Wibbley Pig". Egg foetuses with chicks developed to varying degrees either ready to eat or nearing to hatching with the chick macabrely positioned so the head is sticking out the top of the egg.

In Beijing, I saw a man trying to earn  money on the street and he had 4 small birds, they were all alive, but he had them all tied down with identical lengths of string and as they tried to fly away he was pulling down on the strings making them move in his own choreographed routine. 

If you're a meat eater, there is no shying away from what you're actually eating. If you're going to buy a chicken at the market. You pick the chicken you like and they slaughter it in front of you. Also like in Japan, in some of the more up market restaurants they have fish tanks in the reception where you choose which fish you'd  like to eat. I had the pleasure of experiencing this in Shenyang. 

I also ate a Lamb's penis and had Turtle skin floating in what can only be described as perfumed water as a dessert.

16 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

calling all Chinese a sub-species is disgusting and should absolutely called out. 

If you're into animal rights however, China isn't the place for you. They have a completely different culture to the west in relation to animal rights and it's not seen as cruel. It's not some areas either, it's everywhere. I've visited China a couple of times, they don't waste any part of the animal. Even as far as light snacks on public transport, instead of sandwiches and crisps it's Chickens feet and miscellaneous pieces of meat mass produced in plastic covers, My friend an I endearingly renamed it "Wibbley Pig". Egg foetuses with chicks developed to varying degrees either ready to eat or nearing to hatching with the chick macabrely positioned so the head is sticking out the top of the egg.

In Beijing, I saw a man trying to earn  money on the street and he had 4 small birds, they were all alive, but he had them all tied down with identical lengths of string and as they tried to fly away he was pulling down on the strings making them move in his own choreographed routine. 

If you're a meat eater, there is no shying away from what you're actually eating. If you're going to buy a chicken at the market. You pick the chicken you like and they slaughter it in front of you. Also like in Japan, in some of the more up market restaurants they have fish tanks in the reception where you choose which fish you'd  like to eat. I had the pleasure of experiencing this in Shenyang. 

I also ate a Lamb's penis and had Turtle skin floating in what can only be described as perfumed water as a dessert.

Well that lightened the mood in a barf-inducing way 🤮

14 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

I see it as this 

Yes I find Morrissey to be racist and a moron 

but I see the backlash a bit hypocritical 

Billie is a fan and friends of the band Fang and has even covered one of the songs that has appeared on two GD releases as a b side to Geek Stink Breath and then later on Shenanigans (I Want To Be On T.V.) where the founder murdered his girlfriend because he suspected the girlfriend was helping a rival acid dealer to get more customers than him so he crushed her neck but no outrage Billie helps support his art (Fang does get payments for every copy Shenanigans sells...) for actual killing a woman but upset he works with a guy who says very very fucked up words...

Wow that's shocking...  still like Fang though

2 minutes ago, duckez said:

Wow that's shocking...  still like Fang though

I’ll give Sam credit that he seems to have changed for the better he has done a lot of good work after he got released but when GD recorded and released the cover Sam was in prison and hadn’t expressed any kind of remorse at the time but he got money for every copy of the Geek Stink Breath single during his prison stint and later every copy that Shenanigans sells gets profit from of course Fang isn’t very widely known so not a lot of casual GD fans know that about Sam 

12 hours ago, Daddy. said:

Some of you are fucking morons. 

Can posts either be a bit more constructive than this or left out please :P 

7 hours ago, Too domb to die said:

To be fair, making use of the entire animal is better than throwing half of it away so eating stuff like chicken legs and balls can seem disgusting but it's ok from eco point of view. Also choosing which fish you want is a thing not only in China, there's a store that let's you do it in my city and people love it because "it's fresh and I know what I'm eating". And like yeah, it's not that much different you just don't get to pretend, the animal had to be killed.

Idk, not to ramble and I'm not saying the treatment of animals in China isn't problematic, it is. But these two things in particular aren't an issue at all imo.

There's animal abuse in China which should be addressed, but it isn't perpetrated by all Chinese people, and there's plenty of other countries where animal abuse is rife too. Which is why like every racist statement Morrissey's was dumb and wrong. Doesn't mean whatever he said about the animal abuse happening there isn't true or that it shouldn't be talked about, it was just completely unnecessary to add a racist comment to it. Aside from just being offensive on its own if he does do it for attention (as seems to be the case) it's certainly a dumb way of going about it that really isn't going to help his cause, makes you think he cares more about getting attention/notoriety for himself.

2 hours ago, Too domb to die said:

Chicken feet

I'm not sure why it's necessary to post this picture. Using every part of an animal after it's been killed instead of wasting it isn't an animal abuse issue. Spoilered for people who don't want to look at a picture of dead chicken feet.

Maybe we should get back to the topic (Billie doing a song with Morrissey) rather than continuing a discussion about animals in China.

Chicken feet

Reveal hidden contents

2390c3c1-7305-4011-81f1-7cefc3937370--Va

And what about it? I really don't see any issue with that.

For real there's horrific animal abuse that happens in China. And it should be addressed. Same can be said of many other countries and doesn't apply to all of China/everyone in China of course. But eating parts of animals that are considered unusual to eat elsewhere isn't an example of it.

If anyone wants to look up more information on this topic they're free to, but this isn't the thread to discuss it.

Chicken feet

Reveal hidden contents

2390c3c1-7305-4011-81f1-7cefc3937370--Va

What you on about man

Sorry, I didn't realise a photograph of chicken's feet would ruffle so many feathers! ( no pun intended - i'm lying it definitely was ) I've been reminded of my place in the 'Peking, pecking' order. ( double pun there )

I've not read the last 11 pages of this thread but I have to say it concerns me to see Billie working with a high-profile far-right figure again after previously releasing his eyeliner with known Nazi Kat Von D.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Libertine Angel said:

I've not read the last 11 pages of this thread but I have to say it concerns me to see Billie working with a high-profile far-right figure again after previously releasing his eyeliner with known Nazi Kat Von D.

It wouldn't surprise me if a a few people took this comment literally.

8 minutes ago, Too domb to die said:

It wouldn't surprise me if a a few people took this comment literally.

5eum08.jpg

1 minute ago, Too domb to die said:

You're joking ...  right??

Are you referring to my original post or my reply to you? Just say what you mean dude.

1 minute ago, Libertine Angel said:

Are you referring to my original post or my reply to you? Just say what you mean dude.

Your original post.

Just now, Too domb to die said:

Your original post.

No, that was serious. Kat Von D is known to have used anti-Semitic slurs and her husband is a known white supremacist, now Billie's working with Steven "I like Nigel Farage" Morrissey. He may not have known about these comments from the outset but I find it very hard to believe nobody's told him in all the time since, and despite always having been outspoken in support of minorities and opposing the far-right there's been no attempt whatsoever to distance himself from the actual, proven supporters of racism he's working with.

Archived