Billie Joe Armstrong on new Morrissey Album

dirnt286

20 hours ago, jumpsalty said:

I feel like this was more about doing a duet with Lydia Night than about morrissey, at least I wish it was, but if it’s a collab then I’m guessing they’ll just be on the chorus or something

I agree.  I think it more likely Billie would do it to help the Regrettes.  I can't imagine how Wedding Bell Blues is going to go, but I look forward to hearing it!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Josh100_3 said:

Guys, lots of musicians collaborate even though their political beliefs might not line up.

I read somewhere once that Tom Morello and Ted Nugent are more or less friends, and you can’t get a more polar opposite in terms of political views.

Musicians love to play with other Musicians. Maybe Billie grew up listening to the Smiths and thought it would be cool to do a song with him? They’re musicians not politicians.

Yes, they're for sure free to do anything they want and work with anyone, but that doesn't mean we can't say that Morrissey is a bitch lol

I'm just gonna say "guilt by association" is the worst thing ever. Don't guilt someone because of someone they associate with

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm just gonna say "guilt by association" is the worst thing ever. Don't guilt someone because of someone they associate with

I mean there's degrees of it, if someone's done something truly horrendous there can sometimes be room to judge people for associating with them. But as a rule if they've just said some shitty things and someone's associating with them in a totally other context and not defending the shitty things said then yeah, judge the person not the people who associate with them. Particularly as no one knows the circumstances of their meeting/working together or how much was known about him. Unless Billie starts supporting his offensive comments it isn't him who needs judging.

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Can't speak for anybody else, but personally I'm not guilting him for the association. Even though I think Morrissey kinda sucks, my criticism is coming from another place. On Billie's part it's a kind of an inconsistence. When someone on instagram comments something slightly out of sync with his woke opinions, Billie doesn't hesitate to flip and tell them to gtfo, yet he's chill working with people who stand for the complete opposite. I'm not surprised and it's really not that much of a big deal, I accept it but I also think it would be for the better if Billie would tune down the wOkEnEsS because together with his choices and ambiguous lyrics, it just makes the political band thing seem fake. To me anyway.

Hi - a new poster just to let you know that Morrissey is pretty muddled when it comes to politics.

He's said some stupid stuff recently and been dismissed as a right-wing bigot but his view are all over the place.

He actually urged Americans to vote for Bernie Sanders at the last election, and hates Trump as much as (if not more than) anyone else.

He's given his support to British politician George Galloway relatively recently who's about as left wing as it's possible to be.

He wrote a protest song called Margaret on the Guillotine about right-wing 1980s British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher. 

Go to his official website www.morrisseycentral.com/  and on the home page you're greeted with the image of (and a quote from) black playwright activist, James Baldwin - "artists are here to disturb the peace".

He's a massive feminist and heavily into animal rights (hence the album Meat is Murder). He once wrote a song called Barbarism Begins at Home which highlights how all the problems of the world begin with domestic violence towards children. With the exception of some foolish recent comments, he's pretty woke himself,

13 hours ago, John E Maher said:

Hi - a new poster just to let you know that Morrissey is pretty muddled when it comes to politics.

He's said some stupid stuff recently and been dismissed as a right-wing bigot but his view are all over the place.

He actually urged Americans to vote for Bernie Sanders at the last election, and hates Trump as much as (if not more than) anyone else.

He's given his support to British politician George Galloway relatively recently who's about as left wing as it's possible to be.

He wrote a protest song called Margaret on the Guillotine about right-wing 1980s British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher. 

Go to his official website www.morrisseycentral.com/  and on the home page you're greeted with the image of (and a quote from) black playwright activist, James Baldwin - "artists are here to disturb the peace".

He's a massive feminist and heavily into animal rights (hence the album Meat is Murder). He once wrote a song called Barbarism Begins at Home which highlights how all the problems of the world begin with domestic violence towards children. With the exception of some foolish recent comments, he's pretty woke himself,

Also just specifically the Sadiq Khan thing....I don't know if people outside the UK are aware of this but Sadiq Khan is Engish, has an English accent and speaks completely fluently and eloquently, so he wasn't making fun of a foreign accent or his race. He was talking about how he speaks with a slightly "slang" type London accent (which is a common accent of both white and non white Londoners). Snobby/classist yes, racist not so much. For the most part he just has a big mouth and talks about things he doesn't know enough about.

2 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

If anyone is interested there's a Guardian article been published 'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/01/morrissey-collaborators-respond-to-his-politics

"Representatives for Armstrong said he was in the studio and therefore unreachable."

:ermm:

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

At least if they'd admit he couldn't care less lol

Right? Just fucking say something. 

7 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Right? Just fucking say something. 

Yeah, "I'm collaborating with Morrissey because I want to and you all can die mad about it :fuckyou:" is something we'd have to respect.

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yeah, "I'm collaborating with Morrissey because I want to and you all can die mad about it :fuckyou:" is something we'd have to respect.

I would respect that more than nothing! :lol:

1 minute ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

I would respect that more than nothing! :lol:

Well, yeah, it's the most honest explanation of all possibilities :lol:

This has only just been announced, isn't out yet, and one newspaper reached out for comment and didn't get it. Plenty of time for him to be asked about it/comment about it.

Also the Guardian is a left wing newspaper and has conveniently ignored that Morrissey has made a confused mix of left and right leaning statements (as shown in @John E Maher's post) and instead prefers to cherry pick only right leaning quotes out of context to paint a picture of "his politics". It's not exactly a balanced article.

That's a great way to look at it.

On 2/28/2019 at 8:14 AM, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

idk/c who morrissey is, all I want is a new album

Listen to The Smiths.

44 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Do the left-leaning opinions matter in context of the rest?

When the rest is also out of context then yeah. He's made offensive statements but it's usually ignorance or a poor way of expressing things, like trying to compare bad treatment of animals to bad treatment of humans which never ends well. For example they throw the Sadiq Khan comment in implying he was making fun of a foreign accent/race when he was just being a snob about politicians speaking in a slang type way. Or how they say he's "supported" right wing figures implying he agrees with them when he's just defended what he thinks should be their freedom of speech. Or his comment about the Chinese, it was racist and wrong and the worst thing he's said as far as I can see, but it was said as a comment about the terrible treatment of animals in the country and not because he's a member of the far right. He's an idiot and calling out offensive statements he's said should happen but painting him as a far right figure is simply inaccurate so it's dumb to do it. Taking it further and painting it as "left wing musicians work with card carrying far right musician" is even more dumb.

35 minutes ago, Hermione said:

When the rest is also out of context then yeah. He's made offensive statements but it's usually ignorance or a poor way of expressing things, like trying to compare bad treatment of animals to bad treatment of humans which never ends well but usually doesn't come from racism. For example they throw the Sadiq Khan comment in implying he was making fun of a foreign accent/race when he was just being a snob about politicians speaking in a slang type way. Or how they say he's "supported" right wing figures implying he agrees with them when he's just defended what he thinks should be their freedom of speech. Or his comment about the Chinese, it was racist and wrong and the worst thing he's said as far as I can see, but it was said as a comment about the terrible treatment of animals in the country and not because he's a member of the far right. He's an idiot and calling out offensive statements he's said should happen but painting him as a far right figure is simply inaccurate so it's dumb to do it. Taking it further and painting it as "left wing musicians work with card carrying far right musician" is even more dumb.

I don't think the way foie gras is made is ethical - The French are a subspecies and it's okay to say that because I'm talking about a geese feeding technique.

^I don't think that's how it works. Declaring support to Bernie Sanders doesn't help much when he compensates it by racism and supporting ukip. I mean, nationalist left isn't much of an improvement compared to far right. I agree he's not a conservative right-winger though - authoritarian left seems to fit better.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't think the way foie gras is made is ethical - The French are a subspecies and it's okay to say that because I'm talking about a geese feeding technique.

^I don't think that's how it works. Declaring support to Bernie Sanders doesn't help much when he compensates it by racism and supporting ukip. I mean, nationalist left isn't much of an improvement compared to far right. I agree he's not a conservative right-winger though - authoritarian left seems to fit better.

It's not okay to say, but in that context it doesn't indicate being right wing and doesn't necessarily mean the person saying it is racist (even though it is a racist comment), could be just dumb and rude. 

When you look at what he says about the right wing parties the things he praises are stuff like what their animal rights stance happens to be and their open approach to discussion etc rather than their right wing policies, and when he defends Tommy Robinson etc it seems to be the right to free speech being defended rather than the things said. Like I said I agree he's said some bad things and has some questionable opinions but I don't think it's to the extent where it's necessary to demand of anyone who associates with him why they'd "throw their support behind" a right wing bigot, as mentioned his opinions and stances are all over the place. He's a musician with some ignorant opinions that don't really affect anyone or anything.

they have such different ideas, but it will be nice to hear that.

They don't have many particular differing views. Morrissey is centre-left politically ( classic liberal ), but more far left when it comes to animal rights. Billie is the embodiment of the far left Berkley stereotype publicly. I don't feel there is anything to argue here.

Archived