Hermione

Poll: Would you prefer the Supermassive Acronym (LGBT+) club to be in General Chat, or Advice?

In which section of the forum should the LGBT+ club be?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hermione

Would you guys like the SMAC club to be moved to General Chat or Advice? I can see pros and cons to both (in General it might get more traffic and it's with the other clubs, in Advice there's an added bit of privacy because you need 100 posts to see it) so it's hard to decide!

So if you think it's fine it General it can come here, if you think added privacy is needed it can be in Advice. In either case the plan is to use the original club OP but leave the rest of the posts and start fresh. And there would be an option of changing our minds and moving it if being where it is presented an issue. If you're interested in using the club please vote

Emilie

Is it possible to put it in general and then have a list of members in the OP that you can message if you want to ask something private?

• Like 1

Göta

Would it be possible to have one of both? One thread for questions and debates in General and one safe space in Advice? Then eventually close one of them if they die.

Billie Hoe

I would prefer one in advice so we don't attract random trolls looking for a fight

o_O

advice because we can be a little more personal without dealing with trolls. 

maryjanewhatsername

Advice simply because of what happened with my thread lol 

AlissaGoesRAWR

I didn't vote since I wasn't a member of the club, but my gut says advice makes more sense.

Khaleesi.

I think it should be in advice, where there's a bit more privacy 

Justin1

Hi I don’t mean to be picky but a lot of the LGBT2QSIA community don’t like the  LGBT+ just cause it kinda singles out the other groups. it doesn’t really bother me as a member but you might here something 

AlissaGoesRAWR
1 hour ago, Justin1 said:

Hi I don’t mean to be picky but a lot of the LGBT2QSIA community don’t like the  LGBT+ just cause it kinda singles out the other groups. it doesn’t really bother me as a member but you might here something 

I really don't mean this to come off as offensive at all, but I feel like no matter how hard somebody tries to be understanding of the members of the community and to use the terms that are most inclusive and supportive, somebody is always going to be upset.

I mean, people have every right to be upset about whatever they want, but it's just really defeating for people who are trying to be supportive and stay up-to-date on the latest terms — like, I literally had no idea that the term LGBT+ was offensive to some people. As a person with good intentions, it's hard to know what to do. :confused:

• Like 1

DeJennsitized

I know this thread is just for the poll, and I obviously can't speak for the whole community, but the + is meant to be inclusive. You can't really rely on the general public to use or remember more than a few letters, especially if they're not part of the community. It's already a generally accepted term for everyone who doesn't identify as straight or cis, and I personally think nitpicking over the name takes away from what the community is really about - supporting others and fighting for rights/recognition. And people surely can't really argue that LGBT are the four most common groups and that's why they're in the acronym. 

And, yes, the more letters you add, the more isolated you make the even less commonly heard terms and labels, so it ends up being even less inclusive. 

Also, the 'Super Massive Acronym' name covers everything I think, lol. 

• Like 4

Justin1
30 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I really don't mean this to come off as offensive at all, but I feel like no matter how hard somebody tries to be understanding of the members of the community and to use the terms that are most inclusive and supportive, somebody is always going to be upset.

I mean, people have every right to be upset about whatever they want, but it's just really defeating for people who are trying to be supportive and stay up-to-date on the latest terms — like, I literally had no idea that the term LGBT+ was offensive to some people. As a person with good intentions, it's hard to know what to do. :confused:

No it doesn’t bother me at all but I live in Winnipeg, Canada around an hour north of Minnesota and we have a large Native American population in this area, so a lot of 2 spirited people. I was at an LGBT ice skating event and the signs made didn’t include the 2 and there was a huge protest by the 2 spirited people because they felt ignored and forgotten and they forced the organizer to resign. Just don’t want to see any of that happen here. The organizater, a friend of mine, felt horrible it was a total accident.

Emilie

The problem is there’s no better name. The  community is inherently a collection of different groups of people. Every time a new suggestion comes up people either dont like it or it just doesn’t take off because it’s not as recognisable as LGBT+. I personally don’t mind queer and I know some groups use it but there are still people who use it as a slur. GSM (gender and sexual minorities) was suggested years ago but it’s just not recognisable 

Hermione
11 hours ago, Justin1 said:

I've written LGBT+ just to make it clear what I'm talking about here (with the + meant to represent other identities), but the club itself is actually called the "Supermassive Acronym Club", acknowledging that there's many more identities included, and the OP makes clear that the club is very inclusive too

On 2/18/2019 at 7:15 AM, Emilie said:

Is it possible to put it in general and then have a list of members in the OP that you can message if you want to ask something private?

Looks like Advice is the way to go but we could add this if people want it, if anyone wants to offer themselves for it I could add their name to the OP

On 2/18/2019 at 7:24 AM, Göta said:

Would it be possible to have one of both? One thread for questions and debates in General and one safe space in Advice? Then eventually close one of them if they die.

I just don't really like the idea of a general LGBT+ debate thread. If there's a specific LGBT+ topic or news story etc to have a discussion about then sure a thread can be made for that but catch-all threads for debating sensitive topics like that (another example would be feminism) don't usually go well. Just bringing back SMAC so LGBT+ members have a club again is the main aim.

Thank you all for the feedback and votes, I also agree on putting it in Advice with the bonus of the 100+ posts rule. The SMAC club will be reopened in the Advice section shortly

• Like 1

Hermione

Bad news, unfortunately the 50+ links to info and resources in the original OP no longer work (I have no idea why). There is also no way of just moving the OP without the rest of the posts. It's still a solid OP with a good set of rules, so I'll restart the thread quoting it. And if any club members are interested in finding info/resources to the OP you can post them to be added

Edit: The club is open :) 

• Like 1