Jump to content
maryjanewhatsername

LGBTQ+ Discussion, Advice, and Questions

Recommended Posts

maryjanewhatsername

Saw @Tre's Busted Drumkit's status and thought I'd make a little safe haven for everyone to discuss and ask questions or ask for advice! ❤️ Be yourself, be kind. 🏳️‍🌈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not as cool as Tré Cool

I'm bisexual which is partly why I'm offended by the title of this topic: it has a Q in there. "queer" is a bad term for gay and people only ever use it for that meaning yet G (Gay) is already the second damn letter. It should only be LGBT and anyone, like me, who's a part of that community would know this, anyone who is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender and thinks it's LGBTQ is what the original definition for "queer" was: weird.

Anyways if you got a question about the B in LGBT just ask me because I'll more often than not have an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maryjanewhatsername
1 minute ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

I'm bisexual which is partly why I'm offended by the title of this topic: it has a Q in there. "queer" is a bad term for gay and people only ever use it for that meaning yet G (Gay) is already the second damn letter. It should only be LGBT and anyone, like me, who's a part of that community would know this, anyone who is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender and thinks it's LGBTQ is what the original definition for "queer" was: weird.

Anyways if you got a question about the B in LGBT just ask me because I'll more often than not have an answer.

I'm bisexual as well and the original acronyms club had the Q in it so I was basing it off that :) So I am part of the community and am aware of certain people's stipulations. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emilie

I’m bi too and tbh a lot of people use the word queer to describe themselves. It is used as an insult but has been used as a self label for a long time. To remove it would exclude self labelled queers 

 

Alsooo if anyone wants to PM because they don’t wanna ask something publicly, shoot me a message. As Liam can probably testify I don’t get offended by well meaning questions or conversations :P 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
duckez

This is off topic and sounds really dumb but why is there no such thing for people that aren't "straight" or LGBT. I mean I'm straight but the definition of heterosexual is "(of a person) sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex", so it's like everyone has to be attracted to someone. Its probably just that I'm immature 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maryjanewhatsername
8 minutes ago, duckez said:

This is off topic and sounds really dumb but why is there no such thing for people that aren't "straight" or LGBT. I mean I'm straight but the definition of heterosexual is "(of a person) sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex", so it's like everyone has to be attracted to someone. Its probably just that I'm immature 

You don't have to be! Asexual is an option!! :wub: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1039Revolutions

I’m taking a highly advanced human psychology class, and from what I’ve been taught, the creation of the term ‘LGBTQ’ was the most blatant attack on homosexuals (according to the people in these high IQ courses) in modern history. Grouping sexual preference and gender identity together is a complete disregard for the human psyche, and a dangerous attempt to repress homosexuality in the millennial and current generation of young people. We estimate by 2021, the term ‘LGBT’ will no longer be acceptable to use, as homosexuals will no longer stand for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emilie
18 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I’m taking a highly advanced human psychology class, and from what I’ve been taught, the creation of the term ‘LGBTQ’ was the most blatant attack on homosexuals (according to the people in these high IQ courses) in modern history. Grouping sexual preference and gender identity together is a complete disregard for the human psyche, and a dangerous attempt to repress homosexuality in the millennial and current generation of young people. We estimate by 2021, the term ‘LGBT’ will no longer be acceptable to use, as homosexuals will no longer stand for it!

Wait what

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Göta

That sounds super weird to me. «Dangerous attempt to repress homosexuality»?

I dunno man, I've been pretty active in the LGBTQ+ community since I was a teen and I've hardly ever heard this being mentioned as an issue. From what I've experienced, the acronym is rather viewed as the most inclusive term and we're using it to describe ourselves all the time? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DeJennsitized
5 hours ago, duckez said:

This is off topic and sounds really dumb but why is there no such thing for people that aren't "straight" or LGBT. I mean I'm straight but the definition of heterosexual is "(of a person) sexually attracted to people of the opposite sex", so it's like everyone has to be attracted to someone. Its probably just that I'm immature 

Asexuality is a thing - I would know :lol: 

6 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

I'm bisexual which is partly why I'm offended by the title of this topic: it has a Q in there. "queer" is a bad term for gay and people only ever use it for that meaning yet G (Gay) is already the second damn letter. It should only be LGBT and anyone, like me, who's a part of that community would know this, anyone who is Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgender and thinks it's LGBTQ is what the original definition for "queer" was: weird.

Anyways if you got a question about the B in LGBT just ask me because I'll more often than not have an answer.

It’s not ‘only’ LGBT because some people identify as not straight but don’t fit into one of those labels either. Some have reclaimed the term ‘queer’ to cover this. I imagine the idea is to make it as inclusive as possible for people who don’t confirm to heteronormativity in some form or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
3 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I’m taking a highly advanced human psychology class, and from what I’ve been taught, the creation of the term ‘LGBTQ’ was the most blatant attack on homosexuals (according to the people in these high IQ courses) in modern history. Grouping sexual preference and gender identity together is a complete disregard for the human psyche, and a dangerous attempt to repress homosexuality in the millennial and current generation of young people. We estimate by 2021, the term ‘LGBT’ will no longer be acceptable to use, as homosexuals will no longer stand for it!

Smells like transphobia.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maryjanewhatsername
44 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Smells like transphobia.

How "highly advanced" is a highly advanced psychology course was my question :P sounds like a course I wouldn't understand :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiteTim
15 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

No terfs on gdc please.

What’s terfs? (Sorry I’ve never seen that word) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billie Hoe
4 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

What’s terfs? (Sorry I’ve never seen that word) 

It stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists", though they should rather be called "fart"s for "feminism appropriating radical transphobes". It's usually women attempting to find some scientific explanation for their transphobia and that trans women don't belong in women's spaces (or lgbt spaces like above) because they aren't "real women" and just "men in disguise". In extension, it's kind of related to the biphobia of some lesbians who won't touch bisexuals because they've been around a penis before.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maryjanewhatsername
1 minute ago, Billie Hoe said:

It stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists", though they should rather be called "fart"s for "feminism appropriating radical transphobes". It's usually women attempting to find some scientific explanation for their transphobia and that trans women don't belong in women's spaces (or lgbt spaces like above) because they aren't "real women" and just "men in disguise". In extension, it's kind of related to the biphobia of some lesbians who won't touch bisexuals because they've been around a penis before.

Never heard of that term either. But yeah, none of these please. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiteTim
10 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

It stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists", though they should rather be called "fart"s for "feminism appropriating radical transphobes". It's usually women attempting to find some scientific explanation for their transphobia and that trans women don't belong in women's spaces (or lgbt spaces like above) because they aren't "real women" and just "men in disguise". In extension, it's kind of related to the biphobia of some lesbians who won't touch bisexuals because they've been around a penis before.

Ah thanks yeah hopefully there’s no one here like that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1039Revolutions
5 hours ago, Göta said:

That sounds super weird to me. «Dangerous attempt to repress homosexuality»?

I dunno man, I've been pretty active in the LGBTQ+ community since I was a teen and I've hardly ever heard this being mentioned as an issue. From what I've experienced, the acronym is rather viewed as the most inclusive term and we're using it to describe ourselves all the time? 

Oh, you will within the next year or 2.. it’s just starting now. That’s why I explained it as the most blatant attack on homosexuality in modern history.. because homosexuals use it on themselves. Let me ask you this.. when you’re on social media, and an organization posts something non-biased about anything ‘LGBT’ .. how many of the comments are positive? I challenge you to observe that! Something as simple as a company changing their logo to the rainbow colours during ‘pride’ time is now inciting hatred amongst people! How is that a good thing? 

2 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

How "highly advanced" is a highly advanced psychology course was my question :P sounds like a course I wouldn't understand :lol:

You wouldn’t.. it’s solely about focusing on indications and where things are ‘going’.

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Smells like transphobia.

Disagreeing with Gender Indentity and sexual preference being placed in the same category is not ‘transphobia’. You don’t think the way I do. All I think about is mental health, and a 12 year old who is starting to discover who they are and what they like are going to be more likely to repress these types of things when they are categorized with other things. (Repression is the number 1 cause of real depression/anxiety) The ‘dangerous’ part is the deception that gender identity and sexuality have anything to do with each other, when they don’t, and associating them is going to veer a lot of young people away from ever coming out! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hermione
12 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Oh, you will within the next year or 2.. it’s just starting now. That’s why I explained it as the most blatant attack on homosexuality in modern history.. because homosexuals use it on themselves. Let me ask you this.. when you’re on social media, and an organization posts something non-biased about anything ‘LGBT’ .. how many of the comments are positive? I challenge you to observe that! Something as simple as a company changing their logo to the rainbow colours during ‘pride’ time is now inciting hatred amongst people! How is that a good thing? 

You wouldn’t.. it’s solely about focusing on indications and where things are ‘going’.

Disagreeing with Gender Indentity and sexual preference being placed in the same category is not ‘transphobia’. You don’t think the way I do. All I think about is mental health, and a 12 year old who is starting to discover who they are and what they like are going to be more likely to repress these types of things when they are categorized with other things. (Repression is the number 1 cause of real depression/anxiety) The ‘dangerous’ part is the deception that gender identity and sexuality have NOTHING to do with each other, and associating them is going to veer a lot of young people away from ever coming out! 

In what way is it specifically an attack on homosexuality though? The idea is you allow people to work out for themselves what their gender identity is and what their sexuality is. That includes allowing people to work out that they're homosexual. Also allowing people to work out that they're transgender doesn't negate that. Where in saying "go ahead and work out what your sexual preference is for yourself and also go ahead and work out your gender identity for yourself" is homosexuality being repressed or gender identity and sexual preference being combined as one thing? "LGBTQ+" refers to multiple different things, no one is seeking to combine them all as one. It's hard to understand your point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
3 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Oh, you will within the next year or 2.. it’s just starting now. That’s why I explained it as the most blatant attack on homosexuality in modern history.. because homosexuals use it on themselves. Let me ask you this.. when you’re on social media, and an organization posts something non-biased about anything ‘LGBT’ .. how many of the comments are positive? I challenge you to observe that! Something as simple as a company changing their logo to the rainbow colours during ‘pride’ time is now inciting hatred amongst people! How is that a good thing? 

You wouldn’t.. it’s solely about focusing on indications and where things are ‘going’.

Disagreeing with Gender Indentity and sexual preference being placed in the same category is not ‘transphobia’. You don’t think the way I do. All I think about is mental health, and a 12 year old who is starting to discover who they are and what they like are going to be more likely to repress these types of things when they are categorized with other things. (Repression is the number 1 cause of real depression/anxiety) The ‘dangerous’ part is the deception that gender identity and sexuality have NOTHING to do with each other, and associating them is going to veer a lot of young people away from ever coming out! 

Excluding trans people isn't going to solve gay people's problems. However, not being a terf might be appreciated by trans people, so maybe you could consider giving it a shot, because that's something the whole community would benefit from.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hermione

Is the argument just that people who think they might be gay are somehow pushed to think they're a different gender instead? Because that really isn't a thing. People can get pushed the wrong way in pretty much any direction, to think they're straight when they're not, to think they're gay when they're bisexual, to think they're transgender when they're not or vice versa etc etc. Refusing to acknowledge all the different identities people can have doesn't solve that....acknowledging them all and allowing people to consider them all instead of pushing them any one way does.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1039Revolutions
28 minutes ago, Hermione said:

In what way is it specifically an attack on homosexuality though? The idea is you allow people work out for themselves what their gender identity is and what their sexuality is. That includes allowing people to work out that they're homosexual. Also allowing people to work out that they're bisexual or transgender etc doesn't negate that. Where in this is homosexuality being repressed or gender identity and sexual preference being combined as one thing? "LGBTQ+" refers to multiple different things, no one is seeking to combine them all as one. It's hard to understand your point.

Whether or not people are seeking to combine them, the term ‘LGBTQ’ is clearly creating the association, and the problem with associating completely different things like orientation and gender identity is it will ‘undoubtedly’ cause more people who may not want to be associated with ‘either’ side to repress themselves!

Just to try to be more clear here.. let me use an example..

If you are a young person, and you are trying to decide whether you are a liberal or conservative.. and you strongly believe that we should tax the rich more (a liberal view), BUT you appose abortion in ‘any’ term (a conservative view).. you’d find it a bad thing to have to be associated with a group called ‘the Tax Rich and Get Abortion’ ‘TRGA’ .. Wouldn’t you? Maybe YOU wouldn’t, but a lot of people would, and a lot of people would chose to repress their views and feelings because of things like this! 

26 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Excluding trans people isn't going to solve gay people's problems. However, not being a terf might be appreciated by trans people, so maybe you could consider giving it a shot, because that's something the whole community would benefit from.

Again.. you’re not understanding my point at all. Hopefully my most recent post will clear this up for you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
maryjanewhatsername
40 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Oh, you will within the next year or 2.. it’s just starting now. That’s why I explained it as the most blatant attack on homosexuality in modern history.. because homosexuals use it on themselves. Let me ask you this.. when you’re on social media, and an organization posts something non-biased about anything ‘LGBT’ .. how many of the comments are positive? I challenge you to observe that! Something as simple as a company changing their logo to the rainbow colours during ‘pride’ time is now inciting hatred amongst people! How is that a good thing? 

You wouldn’t.. it’s solely about focusing on indications and where things are ‘going’.

Disagreeing with Gender Indentity and sexual preference being placed in the same category is not ‘transphobia’. You don’t think the way I do. All I think about is mental health, and a 12 year old who is starting to discover who they are and what they like are going to be more likely to repress these types of things when they are categorized with other things. (Repression is the number 1 cause of real depression/anxiety) The ‘dangerous’ part is the deception that gender identity and sexuality have anything to do with each other, when they don’t, and associating them is going to veer a lot of young people away from ever coming out! 

I may not understand your classes, but I understand transphobia pretty well! I agree with @Beerjeezus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus
28 minutes ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Whether or not people are seeking to combine them, the term ‘LGBTQ’ is clearly creating the association, and the problem with associating completely different things like orientation and gender identity is it will ‘undoubtedly’ cause more people who may not want to be associated with ‘either’ side to repress themselves!

Just to try to be more clear here.. let me use an example..

If you are a young person, and you are trying to decide whether you are a liberal or conservative.. and you strongly believe that we should tax the rich more (a liberal view), BUT you appose abortion in ‘any’ term (a conservative view).. you’d find it a bad thing to have to be associated with a group called ‘the Tax Rich and Get Abortion’ ‘TRGA’ .. Wouldn’t you? Maybe YOU wouldn’t, but a lot of people would, and a lot of people would chose to repress their views and feelings because of things like this! 

Again.. you’re not understanding my point at all. Hopefully my most recent post will clear this up for you! 

Yes! You're absolutely a trans exclusionist, you've made it perfectly clear now.

You may not be realizing that's what you're being taught in your class, but what you're saying is exactly what trans exclusionists say. Maybe take some other class next semester just to see there are other points of view so you can compare. It's easy to see a simple solution when it's presented to you as gospel in class.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1039Revolutions
19 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yes! You're absolutely a trans exclusionist, you've made it perfectly clear now.

You may not be realizing that's what you're being taught in your class, but what you're saying is exactly what trans exclusionists say. Maybe take some other class next semester just to see there are other points of view so you can compare. It's easy to see a simple solution when it's presented to you as gospel in class.

Wait a minute, wait a minute.. are you saying that if a heterosexual doesn’t want to identify as LGBT, they are LGBTphobic?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×