Collingordon96

Kicking a friend out of a band.

Collingordon96

Title pretty much says it all. My band Bayvell has just about had it with our other guitar player. Here’s the backstory: he’s the  youngest in the band (in my opinion the least skilled too) he’s only played guitar for 3 years (he’s not terrible but not great) and he’s never been in a real band besides this one. His attitude is always shitty and he expects everyone to cater to him. I think a lot of that comes from doing MMA classes but the thing is this isn’t fucking mma it’s music. The part that really annoys me is how much of a snob he can be about music. He acts like he knows more than everyone yet I’ve went to school for music and got my degree. I even teach guitar for a living so it’s just like dude what the fuck are you on about. He’s also a gear snob which I think is even more annoying, “my tone is better than yours blah blah” even though you drown out the vocals and my guitar (he always wants to play solos but he’s sloppy as hell and rips out the same fucking pentatonic lick and it just makes me cringe). The kicker is he apparently won’t have his license back for three years because he couldn’t keep his foot off the pedal of his car going too fast. So yeah big rant but it has just becoming draining at this point. This band has been around since 2015 and he joined in 2018 so it’s not like he’s a founder either. He’s my friend though so how should I go about doing this without ruining our friendship. 

Edited by Collingordon96

DeJennsitized

You could just tell him that he's not gelling with the band and he should either pull his weight or he's out - especially if the rest of the band all think the same. Any real friend would either take this on board and try to improve, or respectfully resign knowing you could do better. 

• Like 1

Collingordon96
55 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

You could just tell him that he's not gelling with the band and he should either pull his weight or he's out - especially if the rest of the band all think the same. Any real friend would either take this on board and try to improve, or respectfully resign knowing you could do better. 

Yeah I can tell he’s gonna get his feelings hurt but I’ll be as nice as possible. And yes the whole band feels the same way. 

Sarcasm

"my tone is better than yours blah blah"

you're dealing with a child, ground him

• Haha 1

Joe.

Just tell it like it is. If he's not working in the band then you're wasting each others time by carrying on

• Like 1