Jump to content
Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
kaylubd

Green Day Are Selling Their Used Gear - Including 50 of Billie Joe's Guitars

Recommended Posts

Virginia Lot Lizard

It’s sad that it’s so expensive. Seems counterintuitive for a band like Green Day to do something like this. What is the money for? Is it for charity?

 

And please do not crowdfund to buy the yellow Gibson just to smash it up! It’s an interesting idea but not the best one. You guys are very creative but I’d rather some rich person got it and kept it safe.

Edited by Virginia Lot Lizard
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe.
13 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

I posted this on IG @bjguitars, but I'll say it here too...

Wouldn't it be great if true, normal, average salary fans got to own some of this history instead of super rich folks or people who will just resell on ebay or people who have no idea who Jason White is or people who can't name more than three Green Day songs??

Honestly though I wish they WOULD break some of the things down so they would be a bit more attainable for us regular fans like necks or headstocks of guitars, or just the bodies of guitars.  I'd even pay for guitar STRINGS that Billie has used on Blue.

And I would KILL to have that acoustic guitar played on FOD.  Seriously.  Anyone have anybody they're tired of?....

There’s a website that makes jewellery out of used strings and gives money to charity, could be something the band gets involved in when touring. https://www.wearyourmusic.com/

 

Don’t think you can realistically expect this stuff to be cheap, a lot of it is expensive gear anyway and the links to Green Day make it collectible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hermione
1 minute ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

It’s sad that it’s so expensive. Seems counterintuitive for a band like Green Day to do something like this. What is the money for? Is it for charity?

Not really, selling your old stuff when you no longer want it is something anyone can do. I'm sure they've sold off all sorts of things before (houses, cars, motorbikes, equipment, all kinds of random stuff they've bought), it's part of life.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pacejunkie punk

Are the prices listed yet or are we basing this debate on the prices from the 2017 sale?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Virginia Lot Lizard
3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Not really, selling your old stuff when you no longer want it is something anyone can do. I'm sure they've sold off all sorts of things before (houses, cars, motorbikes, equipment, all kinds of random stuff they've bought), it's part of life.

I think anyone should be able to sell their stuff for any reason but a Green Day fan wouldn’t buy a multi-million dollar house at an auction and jackup the price and get in a bidding war with a tycoon. 

They should sell whatever they want for as much as they want to who they want. It would suck if they couldn’t.

But there’s this weird awkward relationship I feel is with a lot of fans and the instruments used to create the music that means so much to them and an auction makes those pieces out of reach.

It’s like those interviews about how good they are at keeping their concert tickets down so real fans can get up front. I wish the gear could be accessible like that but I understand that it’s not and it makes sense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DadBod
1 minute ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

But there’s this weird awkward relationship I feel is with a lot of fans and the instruments used to create the music that means so much to them and an auction makes those pieces out of reach.

This is not an auction, though. There will be a price associated to each item and that is what you buy it for. Yes, they will be expensive, but those items were not cheap when they purchased them - and guitars tend to appreciate in value (much like a house). 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

Fans can get free confetti at every show. They give a guitar away at every show for god’s sakes. They give free stuff away at every Coverups show. There are plenty of other opportunities for fans to get free or cheap stuff.  But equipment is expensive and they are always buying new stuff to make great records (for us). They are entitled to recoup some of their money for past purchases to reinvest. 

Say it louder, PaceJunkie! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Virginia Lot Lizard

Oops! I thought it was an auction. Never mind.

These special items should be relatively accessible if it’s not an auction.

Edited by Virginia Lot Lizard
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hermione
10 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I think anyone should be able to sell their stuff for any reason but a Green Day fan wouldn’t buy a multi-million dollar house at an auction and jackup the price and get in a bidding war with a tycoon. 

They should sell whatever they want for as much as they want to who they want. It would suck if they couldn’t.

But there’s this weird awkward relationship I feel is with a lot of fans and the instruments used to create the music that means so much to them and an auction makes those pieces out of reach.

It’s like those interviews about how good they are at keeping their concert tickets down so real fans can get up front. I wish the gear could be accessible like that but I understand that it’s not and it makes sense.

Like @pacejunkie punk says they give away a lot of cool music/instrument related stuff to fans randomly so I think they have that covered. A guitar at every show is no small thing, and thousands of fans must have picks and drumsticks etc from shows. Plus they do loads of stuff for charity. If they sold this particular stuff at lower prices for fans or for charity it would only be a few more fans getting something cool and one more thing on the huge list of charitable donations they've made, not everything they do has to be for that.

4 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Oops! I thought it was an auction. Never mind.

Just saw this post haha

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Virginia Lot Lizard

Yeah, I don’t know how to read and I jumped to a conclusion. So I could potentially get a piece of awesome rock’n’roll history if I’m fast enough and play my cards right. It’s pretty exciting!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus

We live in a society.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
solongfromthestars

In 2011 some bits and pieces from the American Idiot musical were auctioned off for charity. The starting prices were surprisingly reasonable. It was quite low key so not many people bid. There were bracelets made from Billie's guitar strings, his dressing room door sign, socks (:lol:) and other props for $15 - $30. I think his shoes went for around $75 - $100 but decent creepers can cost that anyway. I really wanted the "happy birthday" tiara he wore during Letterbomb but I forgot to bid and it only went for $25 :( Could have added it to the collection of pointless things my kids will be confused by!

But anyway yeah, as much as it makes me sad to think these things will go to rich people who won't care much or use them, it'd be unreasonable for the band to make them affordable to us. Most of it is worth more than I could ever afford without the added sentimental or collector's value. They don't have to give them away just because they're rich. I am genuinely interested in the crowdfunding idea if it's feasible though - would be a nice way for us all to keep a bit of something otherwise impossible for us.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papa

um, besides being owned by famous people, most of the instruments are actually worth quite a bit on their own. that part has nothing to do with who owned them. fender or gibson guitars from the 50's - 60's? yes, expect to spend some money on them regardless of who owned them. 

to get all pissy because you can't afford a guitar that is owned by billie joe or mike or whoever is seriously dumb. green day is not the beatles. there's not going to be extremely rich people buying these things to keep as museum pieces. fucking chill. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe.
3 minutes ago, papa said:

um, besides being owned by famous people, most of the instruments are actually worth quite a bit on their own. that part has nothing to do with who owned them. fender or gibson guitars from the 50's - 60's? yes, expect to spend some money on them regardless of who owned them. 

to get all pissy because you can't afford a guitar that is owned by billie joe or mike or whoever is seriously dumb. green day is not the beatles. there's not going to be extremely rich people buying these things to keep as museum pieces. fucking chill. 

Agree with the sentiment. A lot of those are expensive instruments and they’re associated with a very big band.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jet Taman
2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Fans can get free confetti at every show. They give a guitar away at every show for god’s sakes. They give free stuff away at every Coverups show. They gave away their fucking limousine!

There are plenty of other opportunities for fans to get free or cheap stuff.  But equipment is expensive and they are always buying new stuff to make great records (for us). They are entitled to recoup some of their money for past purchases to reinvest. 

I don't think anyone expects them to give away any of their equipment right?  I also don't think anyone is taking away the fact that they are one of the only bands that give away guitars at their shows.  It would just be nice for hardcore fans to afford it.  I don't think anyone is faulting the band, I think (at least I am) people are faulting the education system for not paying 3rd grade teachers like myself $400,000 a year so I could own one of these guitars.

2 hours ago, Joe. said:

There’s a website that makes jewellery out of used strings and gives money to charity, could be something the band gets involved in when touring. https://www.wearyourmusic.com/

 

Don’t think you can realistically expect this stuff to be cheap, a lot of it is expensive gear anyway and the links to Green Day make it collectible. 

Yes!  I've seen that site!  Always wish I'd see a Green Day bracelet on there.

Again, didn't say I expected  it to be cheap.  Just wished  I could afford it. 

20 minutes ago, papa said:

um, besides being owned by famous people, most of the instruments are actually worth quite a bit on their own. that part has nothing to do with who owned them. fender or gibson guitars from the 50's - 60's? yes, expect to spend some money on them regardless of who owned them. 

to get all pissy because you can't afford a guitar that is owned by billie joe or mike or whoever is seriously dumb. green day is not the beatles. there's not going to be extremely rich people buying these things to keep as museum pieces. fucking chill. 

I don't think anyone is "pissy" or need to be told to "fucking chill", but to some of us, Green Day is BIGGER than the Beatles...they certainly have lasted longer as a band...and wishing for something is not whining or pissy.  It's just that some of us want something we can't have, but yes if you can afford buying these guitars which will AND SHOULD be a lot of money, you are rich. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe.
31 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

l but to some of us, Green Day is BIGGER than the Beatles...they certainly have lasted longer as a band...

Without dragging this off topic, that’s rubbish :lol: (ik everyones entitled to their opinion)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jet Taman
3 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Without dragging this off topic, that’s rubbish :lol: (ik everyones entitled to their opinion)

 I'm talking about the timeframe that Paul, George, John, and Ringo played as one band vs the timeframe that Tre, Mike, and Billie have played as one band.

Like I said, "to some of us".  I was raised on the Beatles by my dad, he had every record by them (all which have been passed on to me when he died), but I don't know every single Beatles song the way I know every single Green Day song and when I play my own music, it's Green Day influenced, not Beatles.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papa
1 hour ago, Jet Taman said:

 I'm talking about the timeframe that Paul, George, John, and Ringo played as one band vs the timeframe that Tre, Mike, and Billie have played as one band.

Like I said, "to some of us".  I was raised on the Beatles by my dad, he had every record by them (all which have been passed on to me when he died), but I don't know every single Beatles song the way I know every single Green Day song and when I play my own music, it's Green Day influenced, not Beatles.  

 

okay, what i said is being taken wrong. i dont mean green day isn't as important to you as the beatles are to most people. i meant in terms of size, impact, and history, green day is not the beatles. thought people would have understood that. i was wrong.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jet Taman
9 minutes ago, papa said:

okay, what i said is being taken wrong. i dont mean green day isn't as important to you as the beatles are to most people. i meant in terms of size, impact, and history, green day is not the beatles. thought people would have understood that. i was wrong.

On February 31st last year you may remember that both John McCartney AND Paul Lennon sold the guitars they used on the album Magical Mystery Pepper's Heart Club Band Live at Abbey Soul for less than $1,000 each.  Obviously they didn't have as much interest as Green Day instruments do so phoo on you.😜

Ringo Jagger would have contributed but he was doing a solo tour.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papa
10 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

On February 31st last year you may remember that both John McCartney AND Paul Lennon sold the guitars they used on the album Magical Mystery Pepper's Heart Club Band Live at Abbey Soul for less than $1,000 each.  Obviously they didn't have as much interest as Green Day instruments do so phoo on you.😜

Ringo Jagger would have contributed but he was doing a solo tour.

I think you mean Ringo Hendrix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beerjeezus

How much has John Lennon's potty sold for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bully Hoe

the beatles suck

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MillenniumFan

*massive shitstorm incoming*

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jet Taman

But back to the topic....

I at least am happy to know the type of acoustic guitar that was played on FOD.  When I don't buy the real one I've seen a few on ebay that I might pick up for less than $200.

I have every single Billie Joe signature guitar including a Blue replica (since y'know, I make and sell them on BJGuitars.com) so it would be cool to have the same type of acoustic that Billie played.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×