Green Day Are Selling Their Used Gear - Including 50 of Billie Joe's Guitars

The Grohl

The whole thing was a disaster imo. I  signed up for notifications for when it went live and got nothing. By the time i found out it was up everything left was well out of my price range.  Idk if  anyone else had similar problems but whatever.  

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kbuckk24 said:

Since there's already a thread for talking about the sale I've merged yours with it

9 hours ago, kbuckk24 said:

waited like 15 days for the green day garage sale. according to everything i read online, they had USED GEAR for sale. i got lucky and was able to snag the signed billie joe junior. sadly, it was the ONLY GUITAR not used in the garage sale.... Reverb didnt have any previews with the guitars and descriptions/ prices before the sale went live and everything sold pretty quick, so it was pretty much buy something in my price range as quick as possible. no way was i satisfied paying $2500 for a guitar only signed that billie owned and didnt use for anything, when he had another junior he used live sell for $2k. pretty bad on reverbs part for not at least having a preview with all the details available before being able to purchase. it would have been nice to have known what was what because the used gibson BJA junior was less money then the signed one and i was looking for one of his used guitars.SAD day for me as i returned it............

lol so maybe don't blindly drop thousands of dollars on something not knowing what it is ya dink

44 minutes ago, papa said:

lol so maybe don't blindly drop thousands of dollars on something not knowing what it is ya dink

C’mon man have a little compassion with everything on there selling so fast the guy made a simple mistake assuming they were all used guitars.  By the time you read an item description that item was gone. The system was set up for an impulse buy. It was crazy how fast everything sold. I agree advance descriptions so people could shop, think and prepare would have helped so they wouldn’t be forced to drop that kind of money under pressure.

10 hours ago, kbuckk24 said:

waited like 15 days for the green day garage sale. according to everything i read online, they had USED GEAR for sale. i got lucky and was able to snag the signed billie joe junior. sadly, it was the ONLY GUITAR not used in the garage sale.... Reverb didnt have any previews with the guitars and descriptions/ prices before the sale went live and everything sold pretty quick, so it was pretty much buy something in my price range as quick as possible. no way was i satisfied paying $2500 for a guitar only signed that billie owned and didnt use for anything, when he had another junior he used live sell for $2k. pretty bad on reverbs part for not at least having a preview with all the details available before being able to purchase. it would have been nice to have known what was what because the used gibson BJA junior was less money then the signed one and i was looking for one of his used guitars.SAD day for me as i returned it............

Oh man I'm really sorry that happened.  You're absolutely right...Reverb should have had ALL of the items descriptions up as soon as they announced this sale so we knew EXACTLY what we were getting.  The impulsivity of clicking "Buy Now" was not a "dink" move, it was a matter of time...things were gone in SECONDS!  Like one person said, as soon as they went to click on the page, it was already sold.  It really was like you just had to blindly buy a cool guitar without knowing anything about it.  I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm happy for the people who were quick enough and rich enough.  I am neither...😫

21 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I want to see if anyone buys that $140,000 Gibson. 

Will 100% happen, probably will be for the guitar rather than its connections

18 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

The only other 58 gold top I can find is going for 85k 

They’re so rare it really is a sellers market. Don’t think 140k is that unrealistic 

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

Will 100% happen, probably will be for the guitar rather than its connections

They’re so rare it really is a sellers market. Don’t think 140k is that unrealistic 

Oh I wasn’t meaning that the price was unrealistic 

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Oh I wasn’t meaning that the price was unrealistic 

I'll say it...

The price is unrealistic.

I mean, come on, REALISTICALLY it's a piece of wood with metal and electronics here and there.  $140,000???  Even $85,000??????? 

Someone could buy SEVERAL nice cars with that.

Someone could go to college with that.

Someone could buy a house with that.

And someone wants to pay that amount of money for a piece of wood with metal and electronics here and there that I can pretty much do the same thing with a guitar that costs even just $100 which is make fucking rock and roll music.  In my opinion it's unrealistic.

I'm so glad I'm part of the GDC because I feel safe here I KNOW no one will jump down my throat just to be a troll about the history of a guitar or blah blah blah, but come on people, it's a fucking guitar!!!  YES, I have spent way too much on guitars, YES, I have 20 guitars on my wall, YES I have bought a guitar just because they put the words "Billie Joe Armstrong Signature" in front of the word "guitar", and to tell you the truth, when I play educational rock music for my 3rd graders on electric guitar, they get much more excited to see my shark shaped guitar or my clear flying V acrylic guitar that combined cost me about $225 than when I play my $1500 BJA Les Paul Jr.

So I'll put my neck out on the line and say $85,000 is unrealistic for a guitar and so is $140,000.

I'm not saying this to offend and the Lord Billie Joe himself knows that I'm not saying this in any way to be negative towards Him.  But guitar companies really like to FUCK customers out of A LOT of money because they know people will pay it.  "It's $85,000.  It must be good."

40 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

I'll say it...

I mean, come on, REALISTICALLY it's a piece of wood with metal and electronics here and there.  $140,000???  Even $85,000??????? 

And someone wants to pay that amount of money for a piece of wood with metal and electronics here and there that I can pretty much do the same thing with a guitar that costs even just $100 which is make fucking rock and roll music.  In my opinion it's unrealistic.

I'm so glad I'm part of the GDC because I feel safe here I KNOW no one will jump down my throat just to be a troll about the history of a guitar or blah blah blah, but come on people, it's a fucking guitar!!!  YES, I have spent way too much on guitars, YES, I have 20 guitars on my wall, YES I have bought a guitar just because they put the words "Billie Joe Armstrong Signature" in front of the word "guitar", and to tell you the truth, when I play educational rock music for my 3rd graders on electric guitar, they get much more excited to see my shark shaped guitar or my clear flying V acrylic guitar that combined cost me about $225 than when I play my $1500 BJA Les Paul Jr.

So I'll put my neck out on the line and say $85,000 is unrealistic for a guitar and so is $140,000.

I'm not saying this to offend and the Lord Billie Joe himself knows that I'm not saying this in any way to be negative towards Him.  But guitar companies really like to FUCK customers out of A LOT of money because they know people will pay it.  "It's $85,000.  It must be good."

That’s not guitar companies doing it though. Gibson isn’t charging that much for a guitar. This is a second hand collector’s market and collectors are crazy for anything considered rare or unusual, whether it’s guitars, art, baseball cards or beanie babies. It’s that desire to own something no one else has, something with history maybe or a story.  Sure it’s crazy, but it’s not a conspiracy, It’s a sickness all collectors have.  And keep in mind the collectors at this high end are a small number. These are people with plenty of disposable income and don’t know what to do with it (think Jay Leno and his thousand sports cars)

Bingo, @pacejunkie punk. Look at how much paintings (Monet, Manet, J. Pollock, da Vinci) sell for at auction. There a niche market and someone will be willing to pay a price for it.

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s not guitar companies doing it though. Gibson isn’t charging that much for a guitar. This is a second hand collector’s market and collectors are crazy for anything considered rare or unusual, whether it’s guitars, art, baseball cards or beanie babies. It’s that desire to own something no one else has, something with history maybe or a story.  Sure it’s crazy, but it’s not a conspiracy, It’s a sickness all collectors have.  And keep in mind the collectors at this high end are a small number. These are people with plenty of disposable income and don’t know what to do with it (think Jay Leno and his thousand sports cars)

You don't have to tell me about the sickness...i have TWENTY guitars and half of them are  because they have some kind of connection to another band or artist 

Yea I almost impulse bought both of those ebony Juniors because I was hunting for Smash and the Signature Special before the notifications were sent out. A word of the wise.... they were released before the emails went out, if you hunted for new listings or the green day shop used prior....they started populating early. I would've for sure impulse bought the special at 4grand, but neither the special nor smash actually appeared in my feed, and that's with my brother on his phone, and me on my laptop checking multiple feeds.

Congrats to the fans who bought them, it was a fun rush and I didn't spend dick 🤣. The items were very reasonably priced aside from smash.....which man you really can't complain about since it's basically his 3rd most famous guitar. If it was held to a bid I bet it would surprise a lot of you what some are willing to pay. Just like that '58 goldtop which is a beautiful museum piece..... if you don't like it, buy the damn reissue.

I'm more excited for the Dookie pedal at this point🤩

19 hours ago, LPbilliejr said:

Yea I almost impulse bought both of those ebony Juniors because I was hunting for Smash and the Signature Special before the notifications were sent out. A word of the wise.... they were released before the emails went out, if you hunted for new listings or the green day shop used prior....they started populating early. I would've for sure impulse bought the special at 4grand, but neither the special nor smash actually appeared in my feed, and that's with my brother on his phone, and me on my laptop checking multiple feeds.

Congrats to the fans who bought them, it was a fun rush and I didn't spend dick 🤣. The items were very reasonably priced aside from smash.....which man you really can't complain about since it's basically his 3rd most famous guitar. If it was held to a bid I bet it would surprise a lot of you what some are willing to pay. Just like that '58 goldtop which is a beautiful museum piece..... if you don't like it, buy the damn reissue.

I'm more excited for the Dookie pedal at this point🤩

Yeah it was fun to watch and see what people spent and how fast people spent it.  I'll be paying off my 2018 LPJ BJA for the next 48 months with no interest (Thanks, Sweetwater.com!)  Now I am also waiting for the Dookie pedal to come in.  No idea when it's coming though.  

Just curious though, you said that Smash is his 3rd most famous guitar...what's his 2nd most famous guitar?...

52 minutes ago, Jet Taman said:

Just curious though, you said that Smash is his 3rd most famous guitar...what's his 2nd most famous guitar?...

Curious as well...

#1 Blue, no doubt.

#2 blackie (one with the Mary sticker) or Floyd, maybe

In general, I’m not sure that smash is really that famous... a good deal of people wouldn’t have known that guitar was smash if it hadn’t been specified in the description. Some didn’t even know that guitar was rebuilt (reading comments from other boards online). 

8 hours ago, Jet Taman said:

Yeah it was fun to watch and see what people spent and how fast people spent it.  I'll be paying off my 2018 LPJ BJA for the next 48 months with no interest (Thanks, Sweetwater.com!)  Now I am also waiting for the Dookie pedal to come in.  No idea when it's coming though.  

Hmmm at first thought I would've said Whitey is second.... since it's the posterchild for the American Idiot era and all, but Blackie and Floyd are also pretty known.... this is an interesting debate. 

I'd say whitey owns the 2nd spot due to milton keynes and obviously smash 3rd due to iheartradio. Blackie and Floyd don't particularly have landmark shows but I could be blind as shit. Blue is just THE BJ guitar, from the beginning.

I think there’s always been a lot of interest in Frankenstein, but know nothing about guitars so could be wrong.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, Todd said:

For sure, I don't know what to expect, maybe 15k?

You were pretty spot on...

On 2/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, Jet Taman said:

I'll say it...

That’s the thing man, hate to be that guy but it’s a collectors market and there’s more buyers than sellers. These guitars are rare and iconic without their links to Green Day

42 minutes ago, Todd said:

I'm late to the party, any word on who bought Smash?

I haven't seen any comments online saying who bought it.

It'll be cheaper to buy a front row ticket to a concert and get lucky to be called up to play Knowledge and keep the guitar.

4 hours ago, YoureSuchAFOD001 said:

It'll be cheaper to buy a front row ticket to a concert and get lucky to be called up to play Knowledge and keep the guitar.

Most of the time Billie brings a kid on stage. Most of us aren't kids 😕 Buying one of Billie's guitars is an easy way to ensure that you actually get one 😛 

Archived