Dunlop Unveils the Dookie Drive

desertrose

I really want this, especially since I might have to sell my Marshall amp soon, but this is gunna be out of my price range for a while. Maybe I'll pick one up used in a couple years

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fuck, it's expensive. But I'm sure it sounds wayyyyy better than the $30 pedal I got off Amazon. Only 11 more months until Christmas, hopefully it's still available by then! 

• Like 4

Soooo getting this... Well, once I've found the money lol

Still, I haven't played Green Day's songs on guitar for that long for nothing haha

• Like 1

Glad you mentioned the looks, because I have to say, if nothing else, it looks absolutely cracking! 

• Like 1

lol there's literally thousands of pedals that are more expensive than this. if you want to sound good you have to spend some money, kiddos. 

mxr said in the press release that they spent time with the original amps dissecting them to get the right tone. so no, it's not going to be a $40 distortion pedal, ya dinks.

...also that's not even that expensive for something like this. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, papa said:

lol there's literally thousands of pedals that are more expensive than this. if you want to sound good you have to spend some money, kiddos. 

mxr said in the press release that they spent time with the original amps dissecting them to get the right tone. so no, it's not going to be a $40 distortion pedal, ya dinks.

blah blah tell us when the album comes

• Haha 2

Not gonna lie, from the title, I thought Dunlop (the tire company) made a tire called the 'Dookie Drive' and I was already arranging the money to put them on my car. A tad disappointed, so to say 😂

I wouldn't mind owning a pedal like that, though!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, papa said:

Trust me, I know that you gotta spend money of you wanna sound good, I'm just saying that personally it's not worth it for me, at least right now anyways. I've never really been a pedal person, I always tried to get the best sound possible straight out of my amp. You can make a cheap guitar sound good, but cheap amps will ruin your tone, and I assume it's the same with pedals

Also, from the sounds of these articles, it seems like they're going after billie's post-dookie tone. They talk about blending 2 amps and he didn't get his super distorted amp until they started recording insomniac, I think on dookie he just used the one amp

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

Trust me, I know that you gotta spend money of you wanna sound good, I'm just saying that personally it's not worth it for me, at least right now anyways. I've never really been a pedal person, I always tried to get the best sound possible straight out of my amp. You can make a cheap guitar sound good, but cheap amps will ruin your tone, and I assume it's the same with pedals

Also, from the sounds of these articles, it seems like they're going after billie's post-dookie tone. They talk about blending 2 amps and he didn't get his super distorted amp until they started recording insomniac, I think on dookie he just used the one amp

It’s not worth it at that price. There are better, more versatile overdrives for less.

19 minutes ago, Joe. said:

It’s not worth it at that price. There are better, more versatile overdrives for less.

Well, we haven’t heard it yet, so we can’t say for sure, but yeah, that’s probaly the case, as with most or at least many brand / signature products...

32 minutes ago, Joe. said:

how can you say something is not worth the price when you haven't heard or tried it yet? just curious...

also, not to be super nitpicky, but this isn't an overdrive pedal, it's a distortion pedal. there's a difference. 

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

one amp - um, did you not read the press release?

"He got that sound by running his signal through two heavily modified amplifiers—one scooped with a ton of gain and the other with a well-defined midrange. When it came time to mix the record, the band blended the two signals together in different ratios to match the vibe of each track."

2 hours ago, papa said:

how can you say something is not worth the price when you haven't heard or tried it yet? just curious...

also, not to be super nitpicky, but this isn't an overdrive pedal, it's a distortion pedal. there's a difference. 

Because I know what the Dookie guitar sound is. Ive heard the album. In my experience pedals trying to replicate a certain tone almost never sound anything like they're supposed to. This is a pedal aiming to replicate one specific sound, whilst there are others out there for less money whilst still being high quality (mudhoney and PDF-2 😍) so I can say almost certainly this won't be as good value for money as either of those.

HOWEVER: When the price goes down in 6 months or so I will without a doubt consider buying one and may well pull the trigger but at the minute that money can be better spent.

(Also yeah I'm aware there's a difference between overdrive and distortion, you're being super nitpicky :) )

• Like 2

One obvious point is you’re always paying more for a product with a band image or art on it that had had to be licensed. They have to charge more to cover that cost so of course a pedal with Dookie art on it will cost more than a plain looking one.  Depends on how much that matters to you as to whether you’re willing to pay more. 

• Like 2

I assume people complaining about price don’t understand a pedal’s potential or they use pedals that cost less than $100.. but regardless I’d like to try this bad boy out. 

1 hour ago, eastbayweirdo said:

I assume people complaining about price don’t understand a pedal’s potential or they use pedals that cost less than $100.. but regardless I’d like to try this bad boy out. 

Meh I’ve got pedals worth more than $100 and I’ve got ones worth less. All I’m saying is that it’s a high price for something that isn’t that difficult a guitar tone to replicate anyway and in my experience “amps in a box” almost always sound bad.

That being said when the price goes down I’d consider picking one up to try out but I just don’t see the viability of it