Dunlop Unveils the Dookie Drive

desertrose

On 7/11/2019 at 1:19 PM, DadBod said:

The Dunlop video is now back up and public on youtube:

Billie looks so fucking pretty in this video! Super nice to hear him play guitar and listen to him talk too.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, xLumian said:

Yes! Finally someone that knows what they’re doing! No annoying metal riffs!

I am completely sold on this pedal. I have a Les Paul Jr and a VoxAC30 so this should sound huge!

Now I just need to try and track one down in Australia...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, xLumian said:

Very enjoyable video. I wanted that guitar for ages. Still my fave Bj one after ''Blue''. I don't think Reverb's guy set the pedal in the best Green Day-ish way but I have to say that this is what I call a ''professional'' service. These guys done a great job, playing these song correctly, with effort, to give a good feedback to who's interested in the product. In that sense, they turned down the bass and put the guitar tracks up in the mix for that cause. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Just now, disappearingfs said:

Very enjoyable video. I wanted that guitar for ages. Still my fave Bj one after ''Blue''. I don't think Reverb's guy set the pedal in the best Green Day-ish way but I have to say that this is what I call a ''professional'' service. These guys done a great job, playing these song correctly, with effort, to give a good feedback to who's interested in the product. In that sense, they turned down the bass and put the guitar tracks up in the mix for that cause. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Pardon: my favourite Bj non-Strat guitar was a similar LP Junior but not a double cut. I mean the one he used on Warning tour 🙂

15 hours ago, xLumian said:

Once again, this doesn't sound like Dookie at all (but it doesn't sound like literal dookie either).
I also find it annoying that the bassist only plays SOME lines/licks/fills/whatever you call them, but other times just plays root notes.
Drummer kicked-ass though, really nailed his part.

2 hours ago, Shtrudel said:

Once again, this doesn't sound like Dookie at all (but it doesn't sound like literal dookie either).
I also find it annoying that the bassist only plays SOME lines/licks/fills/whatever you call them, but other times just plays root notes.
Drummer kicked-ass though, really nailed his part.

For the sound, I think the guy mixed it ''wrong'', blending it mostly to the right, not all on the left, where the Dookie ''spot'' is. For the bass parts, yeah, I head that too but I don't think it's that big deal. They're just a ''demo band'' and, trust me, I've heard lots of Green Day tribute bands, and if only anyone could sound at least like these guys... 90% of them are atrocious.

I’m in Australia and I couldn’t risk waiting to see if these made it out here so I’ve just ordered one from the US!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Jr and a VoxAC30, I’m incredibly excited to see how it sounds.

Reverb know what they’re doing, they always make really professional demos so that will be the pedals absolute best.

Sounds good in that video, still not 100% sold, but one to try for sure.

15 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

I’m in Australia and I couldn’t risk waiting to see if these made it out here so I’ve just ordered one from the US!

I have a Gibson Les Paul Jr and a VoxAC30, I’m incredibly excited to see how it sounds.

I have spoken to two dealers,  the ETA for these to the MXR/Dunlop distributor is October. From there they will be available for dealers, so I don't expect to see them for sale until Later October/November at the earliest.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone was wanting to hear the pedal played thru something more similar to what Billie used for Dookie, here's my first take at recording a cover song on my electric guitar:

I'm playing a Fender '50s Strat with a slanted SH-4 pickup (not a Bill Lawrence pickup, like was used in Dookie...... I had this guitar built back in 1999/2000 to match the specs of Blue [Billie's infamous guitar] around the post-Dookie era). I'm playing into my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

In person I can dial the sound right-on to stuff from Dookie and Insomniac-- I promise. But the problem anyone runs into when recording is that the tone simply does not sound the same. You have to back off the distortion a bit, and really tweak the microphone placement and your EQ and compression, as I'm slowly learning. That said, my first attempt to do a cover thru my mic'd amp on my electric guitar doesn't have the perfect sound just yet, but I'll tweak my recorded guitar tracks a little more to better-match the sound later when I have time.

This was recorded to a backing track of When I Come Around, so I'm not playing along with Billie's original guitar track.... the guitar you hear is all mine except the backing during the solo, which is part of the backing track unfortunately. Let me know what you guys think.... good or bad :)

Sounds good! Also, is that an Ann Beretta sticker? I saw them at insubordination fest back in 2008! I also saw teen idols play that fest once, Dillinger four too! 

24 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

Sounds good! Also, is that an Ann Beretta sticker? I saw them at insubordination fest back in 2008! I also saw teen idols play that fest once, Dillinger four too! 

Haha good lord, it sounds like I got all my stickers from Insubordination Fest!!!! Lol I was actually there for that show too! But yeah these stickers were from like 2000-2003 or so. I used to have a Groovie Ghoulies sticker and a The Queers (band lol) sticker on there years ago but they didn't have good adhesion after a couple years so I removed them. But yeah, that's an Ann Beretta sticker, and the pick guard is signed by Rob, Donovan, and Russ at their official last show back in 2008. I've seen AB play a handful more times since the "last" show.... love that band. Thanks for the compliment on the sound :)

• Like 1

So mine finally arrived out here in Australia!

I had a play around with it for a few hours today and it’s great but funnily enough I couldn’t get a very good Dookie sound. I managed to get Insomniac (Brain Stew/Jaded/Brat) pretty spot on. It also weirdly enough sounded good when I played some Foo Fighters and Blink.

I’m running a Les Paul Jr into a Vox AC30 which is why I assume it’s struggling a bit on the Dookie specific songs. Can’t wait to spend my day off this week seeing what else I can get out of this thing!

13 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

So mine finally arrived out here in Australia!

I had a play around with it for a few hours today and it’s great but funnily enough I couldn’t get a very good Dookie sound. I managed to get Insomniac (Brain Stew/Jaded/Brat) pretty spot on. It also weirdly enough sounded good when I played some Foo Fighters and Blink.

I’m running a Les Paul Jr into a Vox AC30 which is why I assume it’s struggling a bit on the Dookie specific songs. Can’t wait to spend my day off this week seeing what else I can get out of this thing!

I've found that turning the blend knob all the way to the left just doesn't get a very "Dookie" sound. Might work for something like Pulling Teeth, but otherwise is too "light" sounding in the heaviness and tone department. Supposedly Dookie was not recorded with Pete...... it was supposedly recorded all, or mostly, with Rob Cavallo's JCM 800. Pete was apparently built to mimic the sound of Rob's JCM 800, but JCM 800's don't sound much like this pedal when it's all the way to the left. At least not in my opinion.

With all of that said, I'm not sure turning the pedal all the way to "Pete" mode with get you the Dookie sound, if Dookie wasn't primarily recorded with Pete. I found that pushing the blend at least half-way to the right replicates the sounds of most songs on Dookie a bit better. 3/4 of the way to right is getting pretty close to Insomniac, so probably no need to take it that far. But despite what Billie says in the video, I'm not hearing the right sound on my rig nor anyone else that's posting videos on YouTube, with the blend knob all the way to the left. Hope that helps somehow. 

6 hours ago, iWroteHoldenCaulfield84 said:

I've found that turning the blend knob all the way to the left just doesn't get a very "Dookie" sound. Might work for something like Pulling Teeth, but otherwise is too "light" sounding in the heaviness and tone department. Supposedly Dookie was not recorded with Pete...... it was supposedly recorded all, or mostly, with Rob Cavallo's JCM 800. Pete was apparently built to mimic the sound of Rob's JCM 800, but JCM 800's don't sound much like this pedal when it's all the way to the left. At least not in my opinion.

With all of that said, I'm not sure turning the pedal all the way to "Pete" mode with get you the Dookie sound, if Dookie wasn't primarily recorded with Pete. I found that pushing the blend at least half-way to the right replicates the sounds of most songs on Dookie a bit better. 3/4 of the way to right is getting pretty close to Insomniac, so probably no need to take it that far. But despite what Billie says in the video, I'm not hearing the right sound on my rig nor anyone else that's posting videos on YouTube, with the blend knob all the way to the left. Hope that helps somehow. 

Yep, I found the same thing. All the way to the left is a cool “twangy clean sound” that I plan on using for some of my own songs, but it’s in no way Dookie.

Pushing it towards the right was getting closer to Longview territory, but I haven’t quite got that ‘burnout’ or ‘welcome to paradise’ time yet.

I assume you all know, but the Gain control for the Dookie side is an internal trim pot, not the external one? Assuming you already know that. Is it still quiet clean with the internal gain up?

This is my first pedal. Something that I have learned is that the EQ of the amp has HUGE impacts on your tone with the pedal on. I have plugged it into a bunch of different amps and certain amps just make it sound like shit. If you are not liking the tone the pedal is giving you, I would recommend playing with your amp settings. 

Nailing down that sound a little closer in my second attempt a covering a Dookie song.....

Don't be shy to like the video if you like the cover :) Thanks!!

Edited by iWroteHoldenCaulfield84