Dunlop Unveils the Dookie Drive

desertrose

20 minutes ago, DadBod said:

It say's "(pt. 1)". I want part 2 NOW, dammit. Give it up Dunlop.

We waited since January for these to ship, these bastards are patient

Not sure I like the sound of it from Billies demo, but can’t put my finger on why. Definitely will have to try it out. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Not sure I like the sound of it from Billies demo, but can’t put my finger on why. Definitely will have to try it out. 

As a rookie guitar player with possibly a bad ear for this I'm going to go ahead and throw my idea out there anyway...
I've often seen better guitar players suggest newer players tone down the gain when trying to recreate the Green Day sound.
This demo sounded like the gain was too high. Then again on the only clear screencap I could get of the settings on the effect the gain was not even halfway open.:fight:

55 minutes ago, pieterv said:

As a rookie guitar player with possibly a bad ear for this I'm going to go ahead and throw my idea out there anyway...
I've often seen better guitar players suggest newer players tone down the gain when trying to recreate the Green Day sound.
This demo sounded like the gain was too high. Then again on the only clear screencap I could get of the settings on the effect the gain was not even halfway open.:fight:

Think that could be it, sounds quite saturated to me.

Idk I’m not saying it’s a bad pedal or anything just something not quite right to my ear, definitely one to try out

The gain does need to be decent for dookie/insomniac tone. Just because Hans has said to not use too much gain for Billies newer tone does not negate that fact. The lead mod ADDs a whole gain stage to the amplifier, more gain than a Jcm800 stock thats for sure. The crunch mod cascades the front end and does some rearranging of the EQ. 

Relisten to When I Come Around (recording) and also the woodstock version, it's FILTHY.

his live tone nowadays, is a much cleaner sound which most of us can agree on

This sounds way too clean from the videos. The appeal to me of playing old green day is knowing the guitar tone is not hard to get and is simple. 

13 minutes ago, xLumian said:

I can't access the video of Billie talking about the pedal - says unavailable 😐 

Yep, they pulled it.....sorry :(

15 minutes ago, greendepent said:

I thought it would sound better on Billie's hands, but it actually sounds like shit

Weird one. Sounded good in the original demos but yeah for some reason that demo didn’t sound great.

Ive always been skeptical of these “amp in a box” pedals, I’ve liked a few Dumble style ones but that’s about it

https://www.jimdunlop.com/topic/billie+joe+armstrong.do

As part of the band Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong helped introduce a unique brand of melodic East Bay punk to the world. At a time when rock 'n' roll was predominantly moody and melancholic, Green Day channeled the same insurgent angst into a discography that brims with buoyance and energy.

Billie Joe's relationship to Dunlop gear goes back to the band's beginnings—ever since recording Green Day's groundbreaking record Dookie, he has used Tortex Picks to strum out the band's memorable and unmistakable chord progressions. "There's Tortex Yellow all over that record," he says.

And speaking of Dookie, Billie Joe teamed up with the MXR design team to capture the dirty punch and articulation of the guitar tone he used on that record in the form of the Dookie™ Drive. “My modded Marshall Super Leads have been my live tone since 1994," he says. "The MXR Dookie Drive clones that sound in one pedal.”

Woah, I just bought a pack of those yellow Tortex picks. I had no clue that Billie uses the same ones. 

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You can still see it here:

Thank you!!

I really want to get my hands on one of these but I can’t even find a mention of a store stocking it in Australia...

Man, I don't know. There's one demo that made it sound absolutely amazing, but the rest sound awful.
I have a question, do you guys predict this pedal will be worth more in the future in the 2nd hand market? Naturally 2nd hand would cost less, but I don't know if the pedal is manufactured in limited quantity, leading it to be a collector's item that would eventually raise the price. I'm asking because I doubt it would be sold in my country and ordering online will raise the price way too high (much above the ~$200 price tag that I can't find the source for it right now).

Just now, Shtrudel said:

Man, I don't know. There's one demo that made it sound absolutely amazing, but the rest sound awful.
I have a question, do you guys predict this pedal will be worth more in the future in the 2nd hand market? Naturally 2nd hand would cost less, but I don't know if the pedal is manufactured in limited quantity, leading it to be a collector's item that would eventually raise the price. I'm asking because I doubt it would be sold in my country and ordering online will raise the price way too high (much above the ~$200 price tag that I can't find the source for it right now).

Hard to say, can see it dropping to like £140-ish but its a buyers market, if its not perceived as great then the price will be lower.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

You can still see it here:

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I love you, Billie Joe!

Anyways, I was right. This clip confirms those ''suspects'' of mine. No offense, but those 2 tech said lots of non-true things when presenting this pedal. Accepting the fact that, apart from the OUTPUT and BLEND knobs, the other are pretty useless for this peculiar signature pedal (why should I spend 200 bucks for a signature sound and then CHANGE it?), just to make it more non-Green Day fan guitarist friendly (but still useless, not even mentioning INTERNAL knobs... ), I suppose:

Billie Joe confirms that, if you blend it all to the left, so all ''PETE'', you get the Dookie sound, actually a replica of the modded plexi he used in studio. Then he continues, saying about the right blend helping you getting an heavier tone, more in the style of Insomniac (but just something similiar, 'cause this is a Dookie pedal, actually). For the ''middle'' blending, he jokes about it, suggesting it was Dunlop going for this chance. Let's say, something still useful than the other knobs but still a plus, 'cause it's a Dookie pedal, and like mr. Billie Joe says, it's just 1 knob for 1 amp.

Alright, I close this saying that I'd like to buy it but removing off the final price all those EXPENSIVE and not-Dookie sound related knobs, haha... And thanking who posted the video. And repeating, again:

I love you, Billie Joe.

5 hours ago, Shtrudel said:

Can't believe I missed the joke:
In one demo it sounds like Dookie, but in the rest it sounds like literal dookie.

4 hours ago, disappearingfs said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I love you, Billie Joe!

Anyways, I was right. This clip confirms those ''suspects'' of mine. No offense, but those 2 tech said lots of non-true things when presenting this pedal. Accepting the fact that, apart from the OUTPUT and BLEND knobs, the other are pretty useless for this peculiar signature pedal (why should I spend 200 bucks for a signature sound and then CHANGE it?), just to make it more non-Green Day fan guitarist friendly (but still useless, not even mentioning INTERNAL knobs... ), I suppose:

Billie Joe confirms that, if you blend it all to the left, so all ''PETE'', you get the Dookie sound, actually a replica of the modded plexi he used in studio. Then he continues, saying about the right blend helping you getting an heavier tone, more in the style of Insomniac (but just something similiar, 'cause this is a Dookie pedal, actually). For the ''middle'' blending, he jokes about it, suggesting it was Dunlop going for this chance. Let's say, something still useful than the other knobs but still a plus, 'cause it's a Dookie pedal, and like mr. Billie Joe says, it's just 1 knob for 1 amp.

Alright, I close this saying that I'd like to buy it but removing off the final price all those EXPENSIVE and not-Dookie sound related knobs, haha... And thanking who posted the video. And repeating, again:

I love you, Billie Joe.

The 'right' side is still a clone of MEAT, which has the S.E. Lead mod tone. The suspicion that it wasn't dookie relevant is correct. MXR is promoting it as the dookie anniversary sound, whereas even in the Bio, Billie says it is his LIVE tone for the last 20ish years. The blend knob is to implement the sound of both heads....like he does in a live setting. The only really annoying thing about the circuit is that the Lead tone has no volume control, suspect to say the least. The internal controls are better than not having any. This pedal should've been put in a bigger box, the pcb is a mess, an engineering artpiece....but a fucking mess.

7 hours ago, LPbilliejr said:

The 'right' side is still a clone of MEAT, which has the S.E. Lead mod tone. The suspicion that it wasn't dookie relevant is correct. MXR is promoting it as the dookie anniversary sound, whereas even in the Bio, Billie says it is his LIVE tone for the last 20ish years. The blend knob is to implement the sound of both heads....like he does in a live setting. The only really annoying thing about the circuit is that the Lead tone has no volume control, suspect to say the least. The internal controls are better than not having any. This pedal should've been put in a bigger box, the pcb is a mess, an engineering artpiece....but a fucking mess.

Yes, lots of misleading for sure. Do you want to make a ''Dookie'' anniversary pedal? Ask to Billie Joe for the amp he used to record the album and make a sound out of it. Design it and just add knobs specific buyer will need: actually an OUTPUT and a GAIN one, wich is a plus, again, but can help the consumer to simulate a more aggressive sound in case he'd like to record something, and overdub from ''loud'' to ''louder'', like Billie Joe himself said. 'Cause that's what he's done in 1994. Pretty much 2 stereo tracks on every song with that crunchy but still loud distinctive modded sound. And then a more punchier overdub coming in for choruses, like ''F.O.D.'' or ''She'' as, again, Billie Joe mentioned.

But no, they made a pedal full of unnecessary knobs:

BLEND: If I buy this for Dookie, why should I blend it? 

TONE: If I buy this for that Dookie tone, why should I adjust this tone one?

SCOOP: No comment, really...

INTERNAL GAIN: Hilariouus.

INTERNAL OUTPUT: Hilarious.

Billie Joe recorded Dookie with just one amp. He only added another one for Insomniac. And still today, I'm not sure if he uses them both in one signal to recreat the stereo effect of his guitar on CDs or whatever. But call it, ''Billie Joe signature pedal'', at least, no? It's funny how Billie Joe clearly says he doesn't know how this pedal sounds if you do something on it different from putting the blend knob all on the left (Dookie). But still lots of plus (wich the buyer is forced to pay for) electrics. No offense to Dunlop, but a Billie Joe general pedal would have been more honest. You put OUTPUT, GAIN and TONE only on it sell it as a box of different Green Day sounds. Like you play with the gain and the tone shaper depending on what song you play. ''Pulling Teeth''? A little bit of gain and the tone all the way up. ''Stuck with Me''? Lots of gain but the TONE knob all over the left, to get a middier big sound. And then you adjust he output. Just a few things. I'm not a genius, but I still think this pedal is too expensive and not that well-honestly-made. But that's marketing, not Green Day.

5 minutes ago, disappearingfs said:

Yes, lots of misleading for sure. Do you want to make a ''Dookie'' anniversary pedal? Ask to Billie Joe for the amp he used to record the album and make a sound out of it. Design it and just add knobs specific buyer will need: actually an OUTPUT and a GAIN one, wich is a plus, again, but can help the consumer to simulate a more aggressive sound in case he'd like to record something, and overdub from ''loud'' to ''louder'', like Billie Joe himself said. 'Cause that's what he's done in 1994. Pretty much 2 stereo tracks on every song with that crunchy but still loud distinctive modded sound. And then a more punchier overdub coming in for choruses, like ''F.O.D.'' or ''She'' as, again, Billie Joe mentioned.

But no, they made a pedal full of unnecessary knobs:

BLEND: If I buy this for Dookie, why should I blend it? 

TONE: If I buy this for that Dookie tone, why should I adjust this tone one?

SCOOP: No comment, really...

INTERNAL GAIN: Hilariouus.

INTERNAL OUTPUT: Hilarious.

Billie Joe recorded Dookie with just one amp. He only added another one for Insomniac. And still today, I'm not sure if he uses them both in one signal to recreat the stereo effect of his guitar on CDs or whatever. But call it, ''Billie Joe signature pedal'', at least, no? It's funny how Billie Joe clearly says he doesn't know how this pedal sounds if you do something on it different from putting the blend knob all on the left (Dookie). But still lots of plus (wich the buyer is forced to pay for) electrics. No offense to Dunlop, but a Billie Joe general pedal would have been more honest. You put OUTPUT, GAIN and TONE only on it sell it as a box of different Green Day sounds. Like you play with the gain and the tone shaper depending on what song you play. ''Pulling Teeth''? A little bit of gain and the tone all the way up. ''Stuck with Me''? Lots of gain but the TONE knob all over the left, to get a middier big sound. And then you adjust he output. Just a few things. I'm not a genius, but I still think this pedal is too expensive and not that well-honestly-made. But that's marketing, not Green Day.

PS: But he played Disappearing Boy (my favourite song) and One of My Lies so I'm happy with it! :P