Dookie Tribute Album Available for Preorder

Todd

To celebrate the 25 year anniversary of Green Day’s Dookie, a bunch of bands from the 924 Gilman St have come together to put their twist on the album’s songs. Today, we’re pleased to bring you the premiere of Corrupted Morals’ – one of the original 924 Gilman bands, who’ve been on the scene since 1986 – cover of “In The End” (listen below).

The tribute to Dookie is being released on vinyl through Asian Man Records, and it can be purchased here (LIMITED TO 500)

http://asianmanrecords.limitedrun.com/

Side A
1.Hotbods – Burnout
2.Grumpster – Having a Blast
3.Little Debbie And The Crusaders – Chump
4.Unpopular Opinion – Longview
5.Neverlyn – Welcome to Paradise
6.Sarchasm -Pulling Teeth
7.Like Roses – Basket Case

Side B
8.Pity Party – She
9.Danger Inc. – Sassafras Roots
10.Gnarboots – When I Come Around
11.Get Married – Coming Clean
12.Deseos Primitivos – Emenius Sleepus
13.Corrupted Morals – In The End
14.Rex Means King – FOD
15.Weeny Witch – All By Myself

https://newnoisemagazine.com/corrupted-morals-green-day-cover/#

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how it’s actually the album in order instead of just a random mix of covers. Wish I could play vinyl I’m curious to hear it.

1 hour ago, Todd said:

6.Sarchasm -Pulling Teeth

fun fact, I recorded this all backwards and then reversed the tape 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I like how it’s actually the album in order instead of just a random mix of covers. Wish I could play vinyl I’m curious to hear it.

Same, it's awesome that it's every song in order. Also hoping to hear it, mostly because of that

59 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

fun fact, I recorded this all backwards and then reversed the tape 

Nice try, but I’m friends with the band :lol: 

Little Debbie and the Crusaders is the best band name ever. Just yes. :lol:

2 hours ago, Karl Karlson said:

Gonna order it in February

Limited to 500 copies. I wouldn’t sleep on this for too long! 

I love how the place that shunned them because of this album is now making money exploiting the album 

(I do get the fact Gilman is under new people but still)

28 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I love how the place that shunned them because of this album is now making money exploiting the album 

No, I get it. It’s ironic in a very satisfying way.

Funny how it's not possible to maintain independent non-commercial places without either having to compromise like Gilman or ending up evicted like one very cool place in my area last week. =/

45 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Gilman didn’t shun Green Day, it had always been a rule that major-label bands couldn’t play there. Green Day knew what they were getting into when they signed their record deal. Some of their peers didn’t take very kindly to that decision, but that had nothing to do with the relationship between the band and 924 Gilman. Green Day has always supported the venue and continued to attend shows there, they just couldn’t perform there. 

Gilman is a non-profit that has been struggling to keep their doors open with rising rent costs in downtown Berkeley. I wouldn’t say they’re exploiting the album to make money. All of these bands, aside from Corrupted Morals, have been influenced by Green Day. This is a tribute album and a benefit for the venue, and it was approved by the band, who have previously contributed donations to keep the venue open as a creative outlet & a safe space for the community. 

4 minutes ago, Todd said:

Gilman didn’t shun Green Day, it had always been a rule that major-label bands couldn’t play there. Green Day knew what they were getting into when they signed their record deal. Some of their peers didn’t take very kindly to that decision, but that had nothing to do with the relationship between the band and 924 Gilman. Green Day has always supported the venue and continued to attend shows there, they just couldn’t perform there. 

Gilman is a non-profit that has been struggling to keep their doors open with rising rent costs in downtown Berkeley. I wouldn’t say they’re exploiting the album to make money. All of these bands, aside from Corrupted Morals, have been influenced by Green Day. This is a tribute album and a benefit for the venue, and it was approved by the band, who have previously contributed donations to keep the venue open as a creative outlet & a safe space for the community. 

There’s no doubt that Green Day was always supportive of Gilman, but you can’t say that Gilman didn’t shun Green Day. It wasn’t just the applicaton of a strict rule, there was serious hostile backlash in the community, graffiti saying “Billie Joe must die”, letters in Maximum Rock n Roll and protests outside their show. The backlash was huge and it was personal.  86 wasn’t written because of a rule against major label bands. It was personal and it was hurtful.  But time heals all wounds on both sides and sometimes completely rewrites history. 

37 minutes ago, Todd said:

If it was JUST the rule then we wouldn’t have the song 86 or to lesser extent Platypus or the multiple of interviews of Billie talking about how they were outcasted out of Gilman and how he was affected by that 

but my post was merely meant to be sarcastic cause like I said the Gilman back then isn’t the same as the one now 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There’s no doubt that Green Day was always supportive of Gilman, but you can’t say that Gilman didn’t shun Green Day. It wasn’t just the applicaton of a strict rule, there was serious hostile backlash in the community, graffiti saying “Billie Joe must die”, letters in Maximum Rock n Roll and protests outside their show. The backlash was huge and it was personal.  86 wasn’t written because of a rule against major label bands. It was personal and it was hurtful.  But time heals all wounds on both sides and sometimes completely rewrites history. 

I agree with you. I'm sure Green Day has moved on, because there's no point holding grudges. This is totally ironic though.

38 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

If it was JUST the rule then we wouldn’t have the song 86 or to lesser extent Platypus or the multiple of interviews of Billie talking about how they were outcasted out of Gilman and how he was affected by that 

but my post was merely meant to be sarcastic cause like I said the Gilman back then isn’t the same as the one now 

That backlash was from specific people, not Gilman itself. Tim Yohannon was not in charge of Gilman anymore after November 89. Tim and MRR continued to be shitty to Green Day after they signed, so I’m not going to argue against that. 

21 minutes ago, Todd said:

That backlash was from specific people, not Gilman itself. Tim Yohannon was not in charge of Gilman anymore after November 89. Tim and MRR continued to be shitty to Green Day after they signed, so I’m not going to argue against that. 

So all the endless interviews where Billie said specificity Gilman Billie was lying? But again my post really wasn’t meant for arguments was meant for ironic laughs that’s all 

16 hours ago, Todd said:

Limited to 500 copies. I wouldn’t sleep on this for too long! 

If I had the money at the moment... ;)
I tried to buy it and pay via PayPal, but PP wouldn't let me ("You don't have any money on your PP account"). Must be because it's redirected from an American website. Never had that problem before.

So I’m from Australia (forgive me if this is a stupid question)

How is Gilman these days? Is it still active with cool bands? I’ve always wanted to visit there, not only for the Green Day history connection but because it genuinely sounds like a super rad place.

3 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

So I’m from Australia (forgive me if this is a stupid question)

How is Gilman these days? Is it still active with cool bands? I’ve always wanted to visit there, not only for the Green Day history connection but because it genuinely sounds like a super rad place.

Yes, it’s still active with all kinds of cool bands! @Jon Benjamin is playing there next month. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived