¡Uno! ¡Dos! ¡Tré! Song Meanings & Interpretations

solongfromthestars

I have a feeling that if Green Day all of a sudden started playing Let Yourself Go and Oh Love on the next tour, people will lose their shit.. even more so than the usual hits. I think Green Day leaving out trilogy songs on the RevRad tour might have established them as ‘culty’, because they are undeniably great songs, just associated with a dark time for the band.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have missed it, but what makes Stop When The Red Lights Flash a dirty song? It might be obvious but I don't get why

1 hour ago, duckez said:

I may have missed it, but what makes Stop When The Red Lights Flash a dirty song? It might be obvious but I don't get why

It's about picking someone up for sex. I don't really know why Billie described it as dirtier than Fuck Time or whatever since it's not very explicit, but that's the theme of the song.

8 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

I have a feeling that if Green Day all of a sudden started playing Let Yourself Go and Oh Love on the next tour, people will lose their shit.. even more so than the usual hits. I think Green Day leaving out trilogy songs on the RevRad tour might have established them as ‘culty’, because they are undeniably great songs, just associated with a dark time for the band.

So true. They’re ‘culty’ now. I was disappointed they didn’t get played during Rev Rad but this is a perfect way of looking at them. The band was so excited about making these records (the Trilogy) and to just throw theses great songs away is a waste. They live on iconically or cultishly now. That’s amazing and smart of Green Day. Yes, the songs live on in  the Longshot and Foxboro set lists but if Green Day were to play Oh Love or Stay the Night or SWTRLF people would freak out and it would be great. I think TDTD and BOTW also fit that idea to a lesser extent. 

Tre once said in an interview that he thought everyone would love the Trilogy in 10 years time. I'll have to see if I can find it

7 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Tre once said in an interview that he thought everyone would love the Trilogy in 10 years time. I'll have to see if I can find it

Tre was really smart if he said that. I always enjoyed his comments during Trilogy era interviews. It’s like he was more outside of it and looking at it really critically and smarter. It seemed like Billie and Mike were into it pretty deep and echoed each other in interviews. Holy fuck! TRE was being the reasonable and thoughtful one during that time! Mike and Billie seemed to be leading more with emotion, heart and apparently (according to tre and Billie and interview quotes) Billie was leading with his heart and his crotch! Haha. Crotch. Mike was less crass and said heartstrings and sexual tension. I don’t have the exact quotes but from what I remember.

8 hours ago, duckez said:

My interpretation: the narrator has a crush and it’s been a while and the feelings of lust and passion and attraction and sexual tension is making him feel frustrated and destructive because he probably can’t really do anything about it. The person he wants is gone and he missed his chance although he did have some time with this person. If you look at the Trilogy as a whole there’s a few story lines that run through the records. He meets someone. There’s a crush and an attraction. Nothing really happens so he’s left just dreaming and using his imagination (Fell for You) he missed his chance/maybe spent some time with this person (Stay the Night/running out of time/watch the stars until the sun begins to shine) there’s like this urgency about his crush but he takes something sweet and is frustrated by it and wants to take advantage of or hurt someone that doesn’t deserve it (I want to break you heart until it makes your stomach turn). The saint/sinner theme that runs through so many of the records since FBHT and 21stCB is all over the Trilogy. Stop When the Red Lights Flash - just give it one more time, I’ll make you surrender, trade you blood for dirty cash - using money and power. I think it’s a dirty song because it’s about lust and power and maybe trying to hurt someone because they hurt him or left him and he is wishing for something more. Leading into the shooting from the crotch area and leading with the heart rather than the brain that was talked about a lot during the Trilogy era interviews. This is a little more than just infatuation and a crush. It’s making him lose his mind and step outside of himself and explore himself and life and to be almost free but not in complete control which is scary but also exciting.

Say all you want about the trilogy but there's not that many albums that could spark as much conversation as the trilogy has.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:19 PM, Jane Lannister said:

Okay excuse me my mind is fucking blown by this. I've seen the artwork but didn't know it was for an official campaign and for once, I must say this was a cool idea. Promotion??? Of MY band? Did it really happen?

https://www.laurasantolaria.com/work/green-day/

Right?? Our boys?? A promotion for THE boys??? Love it so much too :wub:

Archived