Green Day in TV Shows (Rock Sound article)

Rumpelstiltskin2000

I'd been thinking about making a thread for this but hadn't got around to it. Like movies I'd wondered if there was a definitive list of TV shows that Green Day's music had been used for. Then today Rock Sound tweeted this:

I don't think their list is complete because I know "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was used in an episode of The Office and, as @Montclare reminded me Billie and Penelope Houston (Green Day) had a song featured in Friends. I'm sure there's loads more but can't think right now.

@Billie Hoe also said Mother Mary had been used in a German home renovating show!

Anyone feel up to making a definitive list? I just wondered if it might be something people would be interested in.

Csi featured the trilogy 

loved the use of Amy for this scene. 

10 minutes ago, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

I believe five tracks were used in that episode (although Rock Sound only mention "Kill the DJ" in their aritcle). Article with a quote from Mike and confirming which songs from NME here:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-95-1253986

Weird.  They forgot Good Riddance on Seinfeld.  That's usually the first one mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Weird.  They forgot Good Riddance on Seinfeld.  That's usually the first one mentioned.

Wow! Even I forgot that one. Good call

Boulevard was used in a German crime show that I forgot the name of. :( I remember it had two detectives, man and a woman, and I think they listened to music in their car? The show had a ton of featured songs and they usually played while the characters were driving. It wasn't a very good show but it was fun to watch them solve a murder mystery while blasting BOBD in the car.

I remember there was some Christmas special or something of the sitcom Rab C Nesbitt where there was a scene with karaoke in a pub, and BOBD came on and Rab was like "MY LIFE IS IN THIS SONG" and got up and drunkenly sang it, which I found hilarious just because of the sheer weirdness of Green Day being in Rab C Nesbitt

Also the legendary time when Green Day were on the Chris Isaak Show and Billie and Chris were playing Good Riddance until they were interrupted by Mike and Tre and you get to see Billie acting, song is played so I guess it counts

Edit: Omg I found the Rab C Nesbitt BOBD thing (BOBD part starts around 0:50)

I tried to research this some more and someone suggested on another forum I take a look at IMDb. There's loads of stuff on Billie's IMDb and on GD so I'll leave the links here for anyone that's interested (too much to list!):

Green Day: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1554564/

Billie: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035626/

11 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Boulevard was used in a German crime show that I forgot the name of. :( I remember it had two detectives, man and a woman, and I think they listened to music in their car? The show had a ton of featured songs and they usually played while the characters were driving. It wasn't a very good show but it was fun to watch them solve a murder mystery while blasting BOBD in the car.

I don't know if that programme might be listed there?

50 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I don't know if that programme might be listed there?

That's a good idea! I looked through the listed stuff and didn't notice anything that looked like it but I might have overlooked it. Instead, I found a Czech late night show that I watched almost all episodes of, but don't remember hearing any Green Day on it. It's been running for years though so maybe it was an episode from before I've been a fan :confused:

I remember there was this show on a few years ago called "Go On" with Matthew Perry, and I believe the show featured the songs Let Yourself Go and Angel Blue.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:31 PM, Jane Lannister said:

That's a good idea! I looked through the listed stuff and didn't notice anything that looked like it but I might have overlooked it. Instead, I found a Czech late night show that I watched almost all episodes of, but don't remember hearing any Green Day on it. It's been running for years though so maybe it was an episode from before I've been a fan :confused:

You're just gonna have to watch it all again ;) Just kidding of course.

Seriously though there was all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff on there!

OMG, I was looking through the list on IMDB and saw that they played Boulevard of Broken Dreams in The Office.... how didn't I think of this? Billie literally posted it on Instagram not too long ago :lol: 

3 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

OMG, I was looking through the list on IMDB and saw that they played Boulevard of Broken Dreams in The Office.... how didn't I think of this? Billie literally posted it on Instagram not too long ago :lol: 

American Office doesn't count! :lol:

22 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

American Office doesn't count! :lol:

There are other Offices? 

5 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

There are other Offices? 

Oh wait, isn't it The Office the show that had two versions, first British and then American? Maybe it was something else.

38 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

There are other Offices? 

Yeah the original (and far superior :P) one is British, co written by and starring Ricky Gervais. As well as the US one there were also versions done in a bunch of other countries.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah the original (and far superior :P) one is British, co written by and starring Ricky Gervais. As well as the US one there were also versions done in a bunch of other countries.

It's incredible, I've literally never heard of the british version :lol: I know we have a German version of the Office and it's called Stromberg, but I never watched it.

The originals usually are better :) For example, I love Skins and recently I heard there is an American version of it and I'm not even gonna try it :D 

14 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

It's incredible, I've literally never heard of the british version :lol: I know we have a German version of the Office and it's called Stromberg, but I never watched it.

The originals usually are better :) For example, I love Skins and recently I heard there is an American version of it and I'm not even gonna try it :D 

It's quite a while since it was on (2001/2002) and there were only two series (quality over quantity :P) so I guess it's much more likely to hear about the US one. The UK one is really good, one of the best comedies ever!

I have to confess I've never watched the office and right now we don't even have a TV :lol:

Well we do have a really, really old portable one that's incapable of connecting to the TV network that we just use for games and DVDs but...

Archived