maryjanewhatsername

2018 - 2019 United States Government Shutdown

WhiteTim
2 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

There is in my opinion, but I realize not everyone is going to agree with that.

I believe billionaires are inherently immoral people, no matter how many charities they support. There is also a huge difference between a multi millionaire who can afford a mansion and a couple of new cars and then continue on living a comfortable life and a multi billionaire who could buy the entire city of Dubai if they wanted to. No person on earth should feel good about themselves having this much money in their bank account while there are people outside of their estates wondering where the next meal is coming from.

Take Elon Musk for example who could solve the Flint Water Crisis all by himself by giving away 1% of his wealth and it wouldnt impact him at all, he would still die a multi billionaire. What he did instead was donate 400k dollars just so the schools have safe water fountains after he got some bad press in order to polish his public image. He could solve the entire problem if he wanted to, it would be the easiest thing to do for him or ANY billionaire, he certainly has the means. but they didnt. Flint is almost 5 years without clean water, people have died. But nobody moves a finger. There are countless other tragedies and problems that could be solved if the billionaires of this world would have one shred of humanity inside them or simply paid their goddamn taxes. Even for selfish reasons, to feel good about themselves or have people thank them. No billionaire in this world made their fortune by just "working hard", at some point there are always people being exploited (usually working or middle class people) just so one person can multiply their net worth.

There is nothing good or honorable or humane about people like that.

But Musk couldn’t fix the Flint problem that is the government job none of the billionaires could fix Flint for the same exact reason why the public can’t pay for the wall themselves you can’t donate/give  money to the government to one singular cause... Musk could give the 50 million needed to fix Flint and say to use just for Flint but due to the laws in place the money would just go into a pool and the government will then vote to decide how much is going to go where 

As Tre’s Broke Drumstick pointed out when you give out money to charities and such you do have to have a limit cause people will always then come to you for everything once people hear you give out large amounts you’ll be flooded with requests 

and as Tre’s also pointed out it’s not on Musk or any other person to fix Flint as that’s the government’s job that’s not the public’s responsibility the public’s responsibility is to make sure the government is working for us and we’re failing at that by keeping voting for the same people over and over cause the mass public is too brainwashed by thinking there’s only two parties 

not all rich people have gotten rich by exploiting people some rich people got rich by working some gotten by rich by simply being born into family and getting passed money thru inherentance etc sure there are those who are rich cause they’ve exploited and screwed people over 

sorry I just don’t care for the rich shaming... 

• Like 3

Trotsky
4 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

There is in my opinion, but I realize not everyone is going to agree with that.

I believe billionaires are inherently immoral people, no matter how many charities they support. There is also a huge difference between a multi millionaire who can afford a mansion and a couple of new cars and then continue on living a comfortable life and a multi billionaire who could buy the entire city of Dubai if they wanted to. No person on earth should feel good about themselves having this much money in their bank account while there are people outside of their estates wondering where the next meal is coming from.

Take Elon Musk for example who could solve the Flint Water Crisis all by himself by giving away 1% of his wealth and it wouldnt impact him at all, he would still die a multi billionaire. What he did instead was donate 400k dollars just so the schools have safe water fountains after he got some bad press in order to polish his public image. He could solve the entire problem if he wanted to, it would be the easiest thing to do for him or ANY billionaire, he certainly has the means. but they didnt. Flint is almost 5 years without clean water, people have died. But nobody moves a finger. There are countless other tragedies and problems that could be solved if the billionaires of this world would have one shred of humanity inside them or simply paid their goddamn taxes. Even for selfish reasons, to feel good about themselves or have people thank them. No billionaire in this world made their fortune by just "working hard", at some point there are always people being exploited (usually working or middle class people) just so one person can multiply their net worth.

There is nothing good or honorable or humane about people like that.

I will expand on this and say that billionaires should not be involved in government at all, and that the disproportionate wealth of Congress relative to the people is one of the reasons why progress is so painfully slow and why politicians end up thinking their half-measures are sufficient while people are still struggling, sometimes dying, because these politicians cannot relate.

I would further propose that if we truly want to have a democratic society, we would have a public campaign fund that allowed people who live in poverty to run for Congress. If 13.5% of Americans live below the poverty line, then perhaps the same percentage of Congressional seats should be occupied those who understand that life because they live it. As it is, there is currently no proletarian representation. I say get one of the guys who is working 16 hours a day to keep the lights on and send him to Congress. Reserve a Congressional seat for someone who has been through hoping that her fundraiser will get her enough money to buy the insulin she needs to live.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Billie Hoe

For the record, I would prefer if billionaires stayed out of the government's business entirely too. But the reality is that they don't, they meddle with politics all the time for their own benefit, to make themselves richer, to make as much profit as they possibly can without wasting a thought about who they're screwing over. That's already happening. Furthermore, I believe that solving humanitarian crises is your responsibility if you have the resources and the opportunities to do so. If money is what it takes to help people who need help, then give it to them since you have it to excess. If you help solve one humanitarian crisis with 1% of your wealth and the next one comes along, and the next one comes along and the next, which all need 1% of your income, GOOD. Give it to them. Preferably until you're not a billionaire anymore. There's nothing you will ever be able to buy with your money that is worth more than your own humanity.

And we're talking about a single billionaire here, imagine what could be accomplished if all 2203 billionaires in the world would think about someone other than themselves or if they were taxed accordingly. Jeff Bezos earns 78.5 billion dollars a year, what do you think we could do with that? Who could be helped and what problems could be solved?

Call me a butthurt crybaby, but I will forever complain about this problem as long as there are billionaires. Especially people like Jeff Bezos are nothing short of evil. There's a difference between hating rich people for being more fortunate than I am and having more money than I do and despising people for hoarding resources in the billions simply because they can and achieving their status by exploiting the labor of their employees.

• Like 1

o_O

personally if i was a billionaire making 6 figures a year i'd donate at least 50 percent of yearly income to actual cities who need it the most through non governmental organizations so that way i know congress isn't gonna put the money in a pool to spend for a useless war or a wall we don't need. 

• Like 2

WhiteTim
1 hour ago, Trotsky said:

You could choose not to live paycheck to paycheck is the economic equivalent of "have you tried not being depressed?"

Come on John we all know depression is a made up fairy tale 🙄 

• Haha 1

AlissaGoesRAWR
2 hours ago, Trotsky said:

You could choose not to live paycheck to paycheck is the economic equivalent of "have you tried not being depressed?"

Andy-Dwyer-Saying-Great-Idea.gif

• Haha 1

Tre's Busted Drumkit
3 hours ago, Trotsky said:

Forget it, John. You won't be able to convince them either.

Yours truly,
Tom Cruise

• Haha 1

maryjanewhatsername
9 minutes ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Forget it, John. You won't be able to convince them either.

Yours truly,
Tom Cruise

Don't bring the mouth breathing scientologist into this! :lol:

The Insider

What is the longest "shutdown".

Ryan
3 minutes ago, The Insider said:

What is the longest "shutdown".

This one, by about 10 days (and counting) now. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

o_O
36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This one, by about 10 days (and counting) now. 

i was talking with my aunt and she agrees with me: that if trump keeps up he'll either be in jail or assassinated. not that we'd personally kill him or anything but i'm hoping he sees prison walls for the remainder of his pathetic life. 

• Like 1

Tre's Busted Drumkit
5 minutes ago, o_O said:

i was talking with my aunt and she agrees with me: that if trump keeps up he'll either be in jail or assassinated. not that we'd personally kill him or anything but i'm hoping he sees prison walls for the remainder of his pathetic life. 

Nah. The most likely scenario at this point is that he loses in 2020. If his approval ratings tank and he keeps losing his own base, Senate Republicans might see him as a liability and be more open to the idea of impeachment.

• Like 1

america sucks praise italy

AlissaGoesRAWR
1 hour ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

good food = good country

seems legit  :sherlock: 

• Haha 2

Adorkable
10 hours ago, o_O said:

You can't go to jail if you haven't been accused of anything illegal and as of right now that has not happened. 

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
3 hours ago, Adorkable said:

You can't go to jail if you haven't been accused of anything illegal and as of right now that has not happened. 

Agreed. Impeachable offenses, yes he's been accused. Arrestable offenses, no. 

Adorkable
1 hour ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Agreed. Impeachable offenses, yes he's been accused. Arrestable offenses, no. 

Unfortunately, he hasn't officially been accused of any impeachable offenses yet. Hopefully the Mueller investigation will take care of that.

Billie Hoe
16 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Buddy, Italy is just as fucked right about now

• Haha 1

Trotsky
On 1/23/2019 at 6:26 PM, Billie Hoe said:

Buddy, Italy is just as fucked right about now

A whole lot of the world is fucked and getting worse, so many countries falling into the hands of authoritarian right-wing nationalists. These are dark times, and I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet. 

Sorry for the pessimism though.

• Like 2

Trotsky
2 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

A Republican implosion can't happen fast enough. I am absolutely astounded that it has gone on this long without the Democrats surrendering. If there's one thing Democrats love to do, it's to give the Republicans 99% of what they want and then pat themselves on the back for their bipartisanship. That Schumer has held out this long without capitulating is rare as a 29 year old dog. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1