maryjanewhatsername

2018 - 2019 United States Government Shutdown

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Everyone's kinda being a fucking child about this. Cancelling the SOTU, telling the Speaker to fly coach for a visit with troops (then popping Melania on a military jet to go to a resort, but I digress).

It seems pretty simple to me. Approve the $5.7B on the stipulation that only a set amount of it is to be used on repairing and upgrading the existing wall. No new wall goes in. The rest of it is to bring in more Border Patrol agents, better equip the ones we have, put sensors in the ground and eyes in the sky, all that stuff that we kinda half-assed throwing into place down there without really thinking about where it would be most useful or understanding that 100 motion sensors in the desert are useless if there's no way for agents to get up to them.

Or they could just do what makes sense and remove the stupid wall from the shutdown issues, reopen the damn government and argue about border security separately. The tipping point is coming when backlash against both parties will be strong enough that someone's going to have to blink, and I expect that to be roughly the same day that the TSA starts crying because thousands of its personnel have either resigned or disappeared without a trace so they can go get paid for their work.

100% agree with you. This is really well thought out, and a really logical solution. Bravo! ((please pitch this to the government :lol:)) 

Tre's Busted Drumkit
6 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

100% agree with you. This is really well thought out, and a really logical solution. Bravo! ((please pitch this to the government :lol:)) 

I tried. My city councilman told me to get off his lawn.

• Haha 1

The Insider

So what happens if you have a mortgage & you are not getting paid?

maryjanewhatsername
5 hours ago, The Insider said:

A lot of them have been calling in sick to their government paid jobs to go work odd jobs to pay the bills. When the government reopens they get all the money for the hours they've worked for free. 

• Like 1

Tre's Busted Drumkit
8 hours ago, The Insider said:

Lots of creditors have already said they'll defer payments until the money is coming in for furloughed and enslaved employees. Lots of other employees have walked away from their government jobs for something in the private sector and probably won't be back.

• Like 1

Trotsky

If it were up to me, I'd make it a law that no one employee, no matter what they do, can ever be asked to be show up for work if they aren't getting paid. Not cops, not ambulance drivers, not soldiers, not even the Secret Service. They either work for pay or they stay home, period. And if that were the case, the longest shutdown wouldn't exceed two hours.

And on the subject of essential employees staying home, America is in dire need of a general strike. People don't realize that even a week or even a few days of a general strike would be unimaginably devastating. Billions of dollars would go up in flames. And the peoples' demands would be met.

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
3 hours ago, Trotsky said:

If it were up to me, I'd make it a law that no one employee, no matter what they do, can ever be asked to be show up for work if they aren't getting paid. Not cops, not ambulance drivers, not soldiers, not even the Secret Service. They either work for pay or they stay home, period. And if that were the case, the longest shutdown wouldn't exceed two hours.

And on the subject of essential employees staying home, America is in dire need of a general strike. People don't realize that even a week or even a few days of a general strike would be unimaginably devastating. Billions of dollars would go up in flames. And the peoples' demands would be met.

Only problem with organizing a general strike is with how low federal minimum wage is, people can't even afford to miss work when sick let alone go on strike (and possibly lose their jobs in a right to work state like Idaho). 

Brooklyn Baby

I guess I just struggle with why I should have any sympathy for these paycheck-less government employees. How do you not have the foresight to make a hefty emergency savings fund when you know your paycheck could be taken away at any time at the discretion of people on both sides of the aisle who want to make you a pawn in their political games? 

Would this not be simple, common sense for these people to do? I mean, government shutdowns are not a new thing. Like, sorry you missed your paycheck, it's a hazard of the job??? Idk. I don't really feel bad for them at all :confused:

lizziebix
6 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

I guess I just struggle with why I should have any sympathy for these paycheck-less government employees. How do you not have the foresight to make a hefty emergency savings fund when you know your paycheck could be taken away at any time at the discretion of people on both sides of the aisle who want to make you a pawn in their political games? 

Would this not be simple, common sense for these people to do? I mean, government shutdowns are not a new thing. Like, sorry you missed your paycheck, it's a hazard of the job??? Idk. I don't really feel bad for them at all :confused:

I'm not quite sure how I feel but hubby made the point to me of, how can a traffic controller not have a savings backup, when they say they are living paycheck to paycheck but are making over 100k a year? 

I know there are lots and lots of federal employees making much less and have lots and lots of bills, so, yes it is really hard to save.

I don't know if I could ever work at a job that could just take away my paycheck over differences in budgets.

• Like 1

The Insider
30 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

I don't know how much they make but I consider our family as middle class.  We put two kids through private school and at that time hubby (who is a government employee) & I had a hefty mortgage  as well- we didn't go on big holidays, basicially paid the bills - provided for the family etc - if he did not have his pay coming in we would have struggled big time.

maryjanewhatsername
22 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

I'm not quite sure how I feel but hubby made the point to me of, how can a traffic controller not have a savings backup, when they say they are living paycheck to paycheck but are making over 100k a year? 

I know there are lots and lots of federal employees making much less and have lots and lots of bills, so, yes it is really hard to save.

I don't know if I could ever work at a job that could just take away my paycheck over differences in budgets.

I don't think I could, either. It would make me constantly paranoid. The benefits are nice when they're actually there, though.

Brooklyn Baby
31 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

I guess I just don't understand how any reasonable adult human who makes as much as these federal employees make (yeah, even the lower-payed ones) can feel comfortable having a lifestyle that involves living paycheck to paycheck. That's a choice on the part of the individual. They chose to live somewhere expensive, make high car payments, rack up credit card debt, or do whatever it was that caused their monthly expenditures to ride so close to their monthly income. And these are people who are supposed to be responsible for things that affect our lives and our taxpayer dollars. Blows my mind. I get that it sucks, but for these reasons I struggle with the idea that my heart should be bleeding for them.

The Insider
1 minute ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

I guess I just don't understand how any reasonable adult human who makes as much as these federal employees make (yeah, even the lower-payed ones) can feel comfortable having a lifestyle that involves living paycheck to paycheck. That's a choice on the part of the individual. They chose to live somewhere expensive, make high car payments, rack up credit card debt, or do whatever it was that caused their monthly expenditures to ride so close to their monthly income. And these are people who are supposed to be responsible for things that affect our lives and our taxpayer dollars. Blows my mind. I get that it sucks, but for these reasons I struggle with the idea that my heart should be bleeding for them.

We weren't living pay cheque to pay cheque but if hubby's pay wasn't coming in we would have needed leniency from financial institutions & probably schools.  We could have coped for a few months without pay & relied on savings but it would have been pretty stressful. 

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
5 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

I partially agree with you in that they should be more proactive with their savings, but I also agree with what @The Insider said. It is difficult to predict when the government turns into a bunch of arguing children over budgets, so I can see why it would be really scary to live without paychecks for awhile.

Tre's Busted Drumkit
1 hour ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

You know the typical TSA screener makes roughly $35k per year, right?

maryjanewhatsername
5 minutes ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

You know the typical TSA screener makes roughly $35k per year, right?

Really?? That's all?? I make about that much and I make pizza! That's sad :( 

• Love 1

The Insider
Just now, maryjanewhatsername said:

Never underestimate the importance of pizza.

Whatever you do - if you work hard you should be paid.  (I can't get my head around this & I don't fully understand the situation).

• Like 2

Billie Hoe

Having conversations with Trump supporters 

pHmO4w7.jpg

• Like 2

Jane Lannister

The idea that taking all government employees hostage is a good way to motivate the budget negotiation is pretty fucked up in the first place.

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
48 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Having conversations with Trump supporters 

38 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The idea that taking all government employees hostage is a good way to motivate the budget negotiation is pretty fucked up in the first place.

HALF of my small town (Emmett, ID; it's got literally 6,000 people in it and that's it lol) is Trump supporters that wear the hats everywhere and preach bigotry. It's horrifying. Not that I would've voted for Clinton either, but goddamn - people just have their heads up their asses.

Edited by maryjanewhatsername
removed the pic because I'm a dumbass

Tre's Busted Drumkit
1 hour ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Amusingly enough, the TSA infamously ran recruitment campaigns in a few major cities by putting want ads on pizza boxes.

• Like 1

WhiteTim
3 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

The lowest paid government employees make 20k a year the average government employee make 25k a year are you intentionally being heartless or what? 

Funnily enough all the 6 figure jobs aren’t affected by the shutdown and are getting paid the only ones the paychecks are affecting are the middle and lower paid employees 

• Like 4

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

The lowest paid government employees make 20k a year the average government employee make 25k a year are you intentionally being heartless or what? 

Funnily enough all the 6 figure jobs aren’t affected by the shutdown and are getting paid the only ones the paychecks are affecting are the middle and lower paid employees 

See, that's interesting to me. Gotta protect the 1%, huh? Thank you for the clarification. It's ridiculous.