maryjanewhatsername

2018 - 2019 United States Government Shutdown

Ryan

Yeah...Jim Acosta must feel REALLY blasted...you know...with his winning lawsuits against this administration. That must suck for him. My prediction is still that Trump doesn't make it to the 2020 election, and if he does he will get absolutely trounced. 

• Like 3

Brooklyn Baby
1 hour ago, Joe. said:

And you think ten feet of concrete are going to make these problems disappear?

I'm not arguing for or against, I'm just saying it was hilarious to watch the media eat shit over that speech :)

32 minutes ago, Ryan said:

My prediction is still that Trump doesn't make it to the 2020 election, and if he does he will get absolutely trounced. 

My brother has the same attitude that 99.9% of GDC has about Trump and made some prediction that he wasn't going to make it even halfway through his term. I bet him $50 on it and it was the most satisfying $50 I ever made. 

So, wanna bet? 

• Like 1

Brooklyn Baby
36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

No, I don't. I just want to see everything come to light showing how much he has fucked our country and sold it out to our enemies. Then I want to see all of his supporters try to either A) justify it or B) pretend it never happened. Then, after he is out of office, I want to see him get hit by a fucking bus so that I never have to see him again (unless I'm watching the video of him getting hit by the bus) :)

The Trump Derangement Syndrome is strong with this one :whistle

Trotsky
3 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

my favorite part of this shutdown is when trump made CNN fact checkers make his point for him. 

Trump: 1 in 3 women have been sexually assaulted while traveling to our border.

CNN: ACKSHUALLY IT'S 60-80% OF WOMEN TRAVELING THROUGH MEXICO WHO ARE RAPED ALONG THE WAY - wait, shit. delete, delete, delete.

Trump: Every week, 300 U.S. citizens are killed by heroin alone. 

CNN: AYYCCKKSHUALLY 306 U.S. citizens are killed by heroin per week - :unsure:

Trump: 90 percent of the heroin that comes in the U.S. comes in through the southern border. 

CNN: UMMMMM THE FACT IS THAT THE SWB remains the primary entry point for heroin in the United States........

Trump: Build the wall, motherfuckers :toocool:

CNN: :shok:

also I don't think Jim Acosta's ass has ever been quite this blasted. Delicious. 

- Building a wall will do nothing to stop migrants from being victimized by sexual predators during their travels. However, Trump and his people have made it even worse by their policy of indefinite detention and family separation, because now migrants aren't just at risk of being raped by sexual predators in Mexico, several people including children have been sexually assaulted by ICE and Border Patrol agents inside the prisons they're locked up in. And the migrants who aren't sexually assaulted can look forward to catching an infection because of the overcrowded, inhumane conditions they're held in and then being denied medical treatment and dying. If the US government gave half a fuck about migrants being raped then they would process asylum seekers' claims instead of locking victims up in conditions worse than convicted murderers live in in max security prisons. 

- The reason so many Americans are dying of overdoses is because of our abysmal drug policy. Several US cities want to establish safe injection sites where addicts can use clean needles and where trained staff members are standing by with naloxone in case someone overdoses. Guess how Trump's DOJ reacted to that? They threatened 20 years in prison for any city government official trying to establish a safe injection site. People continue to be locked up for drug possession, causing them to lose their jobs and be isolated from their families and communities, which makes it even harder for them to break their addictions. The way to end the opioid crisis is to decriminalize drugs possession and build more rehab facilities instead of jails, and to ensure addicts have access to every harm reduction measure available.

I'm not going to defend CNN though, they're shills for the ruling class just like all the rest. They may go after Trump but they serve the same masters Trump does.

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Yeah...Jim Acosta must feel REALLY blasted...you know...with his winning lawsuits against this administration. That must suck for him. My prediction is still that Trump doesn't make it to the 2020 election, and if he does he will get absolutely trounced. 

Oh I'm not counting Trump out for reelection yet, never underestimate the Democrats' ability to be their own worst enemy. The Democratic candidate could destroy Trump by pushing for Medicare for All, a living wage, ending the crisis of student loan debt, and policies that actually improve the lives of people. But if the DNC pushes for some establishment shill who refuses to commit to any real change, millions of people will sit out the election again because they realize neither candidate gives a fuck about them, but Trump's base will come out and vote for him, and then he could win. 

The Democrats problem is that the party leadership has no fucking substance. They talk about how much more polite and civil and willing to compromise they are than Trump, and no one cares, because people don't want to hear platitudes, people don't want to hear stupid shit like Hillary's "America is already great", they want to hear what a candidate will DO for them. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ryan
37 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

The Trump Derangement Syndrome is strong with this one :whistle

And so is your total inability to look at hundreds of facts and numerous indictments

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

Oh, this again. Lovely. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

aydge89

I live in Australia but I have been following this since the shutdown started.

I think regardless of whether you are pro or anti wall, most will agree that neither side is looking to budge anytime soon. Therefore they need to table it for the time being, end the shutdown and continue the negotiations while the rest of government is funded. Imagine if every time a party didn't get what they wanted they halted government funding just as a bargaining tool.

Emilie

Ok how does a shutdown even work? I’ve been reading and have made vague sense of it but like, how does it make any sense to have a system where the government just stops when disagreements like this happen 

Trotsky
1 hour ago, Emilie said:

Ok how does a shutdown even work? I’ve been reading and have made vague sense of it but like, how does it make any sense to have a system where the government just stops when disagreements like this happen 

When a shutdown happens, some parts of government close entirely - like the national park service, which means national parks are closed and aren't maintained; the workers have been sent home until the shutdown is over. Other parts of the government are required to remain open, but workers have to wait on their paychecks. The TSA, airport security, has to show up and work without pay. They should eventually receive their wages for all the hours they worked after the shutdown is resolved. But the fact that they're not getting paid means some of them can't afford their bills, so TSA agents are calling out sick so they can work other jobs to keep the lights on. It's a shitty situation.

As for why it happens, it's partially because of laws and procedures implemented by a Republican controlled Congress (although many Democrats are complicit) which greatly restrict spending with borrowed money, as well as the fact that the need to pass a new budget every year means Congress and/or the President can hold the entire budget hostage in an attempt to get what they want. It doesn't have to be this way, but it is. Of course, the military always gets its money without any problems... 

Also, this isn't exactly shutdown related but I'm fucking stoked that Tulsi Gabbard is running for President! Unlike most Democrats that I either despise or tolerate, I actually like her. She could crush Trump, but it's going to be a vicious fight. The Democratic establishment will do everything they can to smear and destroy her, even worse than they did Bernie Sanders. But I want to see her win. 

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername

So our shit's still all fucked up and the government is STILL in partial shutdown. And Trump wants to declare national emergency to get funding for the wall. He was advised not to though, article here:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/01/13/graham_trump_should_try_to_open_government_for_three_weeks_before_declaring_emergency.html

Also, because Trump isn't the brightest bulb in the box, he didn't realize that in 2017 the company that makes Cards Against Humanity bought a section of the US-Mexico border to stop the wall. Hilarious article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/11/15/us/cards-against-humanity-land-grab-trnd/index.html

Gotta love 'Murica :rolleyes:

Billie Hoe

It's still so batshit how Drumpf is trying to convince Americans there is a crisis at the border and that THEY should be afraid, when in reality the only crisis there is is the one that the immigrants have, which is the reason they wanna come to the US in the first place. That White House address the other day was, while it was ridicilous, kinda scary because obviously there will be people who will fall for it and use the fear they're told they should have to justify their hate crimes against immigrants... this whole convincing people that there is a crisis when there is none sure is... batshit.

• Like 2

Ryan

Also, just to recap what happened over the weekend, Trump refused to deny that he is or ever has been a Russian "agent" working for their best interests. Also, it came out that he has been keeping details of his 5+ conversations with Putin completely private and has taken the transcripts away from his interpreter and has forbidden them from talking about the context of the meetings. The fact that we have zero recourse as a country to actually find out whether our President is compromised is kind of a big fucking joke. 

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
12 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

It's still so batshit how Drumpf is trying to convince Americans there is a crisis at the border and that THEY should be afraid, when in reality the only crisis there is is the one that the immigrants have, which is the reason they wanna come to the US in the first place. That White House address the other day was, while it was ridicilous, kinda scary because obviously there will be people who will fall for it and use the fear they're told they should have to justify their hate crimes against immigrants... this whole convincing people that there is a crisis when there is none sure is... batshit.

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

Also, just to recap what happened over the weekend, Trump refused to deny that he is or ever has been a Russian "agent" working for their best interests. Also, it came out that he has been keeping details of his 5+ conversations with Putin completely private and has taken the transcripts away from his interpreter and has forbidden them from talking about the context of the meetings. The fact that we have zero recourse as a country to actually find out whether our President is compromised is kind of a big fucking joke. 

All of this is why I hate living in America. It's scary. I feel like Russia is butting into our politics and that Trump is poisoning the minds of already racists, homophobic assholes to be violent and event more unaccepting. It's disgusting. 

WhiteTim

Win a championship get McDonald dollar menu! 

• Haha 1

o_O

SNAP benefits won't go through after Februarys early cash in on the 17th.  Fuck trump. he screwed the working class that needs food stamps. 

• Like 2

Ryan
On 1/12/2019 at 2:25 AM, Trotsky said:

Also, this isn't exactly shutdown related but I'm fucking stoked that Tulsi Gabbard is running for President! Unlike most Democrats that I either despise or tolerate, I actually like her. She could crush Trump, but it's going to be a vicious fight. The Democratic establishment will do everything they can to smear and destroy her, even worse than they did Bernie Sanders. But I want to see her win. 

This might end up hurting her a lot. It definitely made me re-think a lot of thoughts that I had about her. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/tulsi-gabbard-apology-lgbt-comments-1109541 

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

This might end up hurting her a lot. It definitely made me re-think a lot of thoughts that I had about her. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/17/tulsi-gabbard-apology-lgbt-comments-1109541 

I honestly never really heard of Tulsi Gabbard until people started talking about her on here. I can see why these comments would turn people against her. And I can also see how this was her past and she's trying to better herself and stand up for different things from her past. But the inconsistency does make her look pretty slippery like it did for Hilary Clinton.

Adorkable

There are reports that a group of Republicans, including Mike Pence and Lindsey Graham presented Trump with a solution to end the shutdown. It was to form congressional sub committees to review and negotiate border security. He rejected it. :angry:

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-rejects-shutdown-deal-republicans-negotiated-republicans?cid=sm_fb_maddow&fbclid=IwAR1uWIy85MsjH-MK4mNB2zWqG6jsjkomuCOhJh8JswVdCpnTxJ7-fYCzYI4

fukingcounterstrike
1 hour ago, Ryan said:

What did your re-thinking result in? 

WhiteTim

It really doesn’t matter who is in office presidents are nothing but the fall guy parties are all the same just here to keep the poor and regular people divided to keep us fighting against each other distracted while the powers that be get richer 

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

It really doesn’t matter who is in office presidents are nothing but the fall guy parties are all the same just here to keep the poor and regular people divided to keep us fighting against each other distracted while the powers that be get richer 

I agree in a sense, but also disagree. I agree because the government will always be fucked up. It will never be perfect, no matter what system is in place. Someone will be unhappy, someone will disagree, someone will act out. And I feel like presidents are a figurehead who get blamed for some stuff, but are also highly responsible for a lot of what happens to the country and in congress. And they are extremely crucial in our image to the rest of the world. 

Trotsky
9 hours ago, Ryan said:

I know about her past homophobia, but every action she has done in power has been pro-LGBTQ. She was a product of the environment she was raised in. I was homophobic in my youth and still transphobic into my early 20's, and I didn't even realize I was being a bigot, because I didn't realize what had influenced me. We all have a responsibility to question our values and look critically at the society we live in, and to recognize injustice. But I don't expect everyone to be on the right side of history from the start. 

What matters is what you do for the cause after you wake up. 

• Like 2

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Everyone's kinda being a fucking child about this. Cancelling the SOTU, telling the Speaker to fly coach for a visit with troops (then popping Melania on a military jet to go to a resort, but I digress).

It seems pretty simple to me. Approve the $5.7B on the stipulation that only a set amount of it is to be used on repairing and upgrading the existing wall. No new wall goes in. The rest of it is to bring in more Border Patrol agents, better equip the ones we have, put sensors in the ground and eyes in the sky, all that stuff that we kinda half-assed throwing into place down there without really thinking about where it would be most useful or understanding that 100 motion sensors in the desert are useless if there's no way for agents to get up to them.

Or they could just do what makes sense and remove the stupid wall from the shutdown issues, reopen the damn government and argue about border security separately. The tipping point is coming when backlash against both parties will be strong enough that someone's going to have to blink, and I expect that to be roughly the same day that the TSA starts crying because thousands of its personnel have either resigned or disappeared without a trace so they can go get paid for their work.

• Like 1