Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
maryjanewhatsername

2018 - 2019 United States Government Shutdown

maryjanewhatsername

So if you don't live in the United States, you might not know that the government shutdown as of December 21, 2018. Due to the split opinions about the proposed border wall (between the U.S. and Mexico), the government has ceased all work and stopped paying at least 800,000 government employees, a lot of them are those that work in airports. Trump won't budge on the shutdown until he gets funding for the wall, and the democrats are stubbornly holding the opposite opinion. Trump has been quoted as saying that the government shutdown "could last for years." If it lasts until this Saturday (January 12, 2019) it will be the longest government shutdown in U.S. history.

I'm going to link a couple articles down below for some more information:

https://www.politico.com/latest-news-updates/government-shutdown-2018

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/08/us-government-shutdown-2019-explained

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/politics/michael-cohen-testify-trump-congress.html

Also here's one of his tweets about the situation:

What are your opinions on this? Any thoughts?

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
4 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

Trump is behaving like a spoiled rotten child that stamps his feet and holds his breath when he doesn't get his way. He is not willing to negotiate.  He also cannot relate at all to the hundreds of thousands of fed employees that are not working. He thinks they can just figure something out, well most of them can't afford to be without a paycheck. 

Economically, it is not a great idea to build a wall. Here is an article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/08/three-economists-ran-numbers-trumps-border-wall-they-find-its-bad-investment/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.09845a8d22ac

Also, environmentally it would be a disaster. It ranges from destroying animals migration patterns, increased emissions, flooding, etc. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/trumps-wall-could-cause-serious-environmental-damage/

Also, THERE IS NO EMERGENCY AT THE BORDER!!! Immigration is declining. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/11/28/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

We don't need a wall, we need immigration reform

AGREE AGREE AGREE!!!! Can we please send these articles to Trump???? :lol: 

Joe.

The way the US government is set up is so broken. And that’s coming from the UK

• Like 1

Adorkable
8 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

AGREE AGREE AGREE!!!! Can we please send these articles to Trump???? :lol: 

I'm not sure he can read. He doesn't read the presidents daily briefing. He either has someone tell it to him or they tried to give it to him via pictures. I'm not kidding. He's a dumbass

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/breaking-with-tradition-trump-skips-presidents-written-intelligence-report-for-oral-briefings/2018/02/09/b7ba569e-0c52-11e8-95a5-c396801049ef_story.html?utm_term=.6611e4bf6f63

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gaslight13
4 minutes ago, Joe. said:

The way the US government is set up is so broken. And that’s coming from the UK

I actually think the US gov't is set up pretty well. But there are a few holes that have been exploited for years, and a few that we've recently become more aware of thanks to the Trump era. 

I'm not going to get into Trump because his idiocy is well documented at this point. But Mitch McConnell is one of the most evil people to ever be part of our government and just as big a part of this as Trump. Arguably bigger because he is the one preventing congress from voting to reopen the government. The votes are there whether Trump likes it or not, but McConnell won't allow it to happen.

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
14 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

I actually think the US gov't is set up pretty well. But there are a few holes that have been exploited for years, and a few that we've recently become more aware of thanks to the Trump era. 

I'm not going to get into Trump because his idiocy is well documented at this point. But Mitch McConnell is one of the most evil people to ever be part of our government and just as big a part of this as Trump. Arguably bigger because he is the one preventing congress from voting to reopen the government. The votes are there whether Trump likes it or not, but McConnell won't allow it to happen.

Never saw it from this point of view, but I'd have to absolutely agree. I don't think we can pin all of this on Trump (though believe me he has his fair share) and that men like McConnell are also to blame for the long shutdown. Not allowing for a vote to reopen the government is not only manipulative on McConnell's part, but also just devastating for so many Americans that are living without wages right now. So many are working for free or quitting their jobs because of this, and I think if it goes on much longer it could send us into a tailspin like the Recession of '09 did. 

• Like 1

The Insider

I just want dunny paper available in the National Parks by June @Adorkable 😏

Adorkable
55 minutes ago, The Insider said:

I just want dunny paper available in the National Parks by June @Adorkable 😏

bring your own

• Thanks 1

Joe.
1 hour ago, gaslight13 said:

Here you’d never have the government leader not representing the biggest amount of MPs. The executive is always in control which allows government to function. Hung parliaments are a rare exception

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 minute ago, Joe. said:

Here you’d never have the government leader not representing the biggest amount of MPs. The executive is always in control which allows government to function. Hung parliaments are a rare exception

I think there needs to be a mix of the two governing styles. I definitely think one of America's biggest issues is the fact that a lot of Americans don't vote because they feel like their vote "doesn't matter." In reality if all these people voted, shit would change. I really don't like that we have an electoral college, either. They can completely change an election, like when George W. Bush was elected in 2000. 

The Insider
21 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

bring your own

Always have some when we are hiking - you can never be too prepared😀

• Like 1

The Insider

Second favourite son
10 hours ago, Joe. said:

Hung parliaments are a rare exception

We’ve had coalition governments as the result of hung parliaments for 6 of the last 8 years

Joe.
22 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

We’ve had coalition governments as the result of hung parliaments for 6 of the last 8 years

and then before that were incredibly rare (non-existent?). You also have the PM guaranteed to have parliamentary support with the exception of today and 1974(?) when minority governments were formed.

Christian's Inferno!

You know, a lot of people just give Trump shit for literally breathing. But yeah, this is fucking stupid. Trump is a complete asshole if he's doing this. This is the first I've heard of this

Second favourite son
1 hour ago, Joe. said:

and then before that were incredibly rare (non-existent?). You also have the PM guaranteed to have parliamentary support with the exception of today and 1974(?) when minority governments were formed.

I agree, they were very rare.  But UK politics is changing.  Can you realistically see any party getting an overall majority in the next election?  Especially when the tories have changed the constituency boundaries to suit them but lost a lot of seats.  Unfortunately, I think hung parliaments are a thing of our future.  But hey, that’s a discussion for another thread

Adorkable
1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

You know, a lot of people just give Trump shit for literally breathing. But yeah, this is fucking stupid. Trump is a complete asshole if he's doing this. This is the first I've heard of this

That is true, but most of the time what he says is absolute bullshit. He gave a press conference the other day and I watched 10 minutes of it. In those 10 minutes he said 3 things that I knew were blatant lies. One of them was that he said all the ex-presidents wish they had built a wall, they told me that. All the living ex-presidents came out with statements saying that they never said that and they don't support the wall. He also said that the fed employees that are out of work because of the shutdown support him and want him to keep going. They don't, they want their paychecks. 

So even if he does say something truthful and sincere, it is beyond the point of believing him.  

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
2 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

That is true, but most of the time what he says is absolute bullshit. He gave a press conference the other day and I watched 10 minutes of it. In those 10 minutes he said 3 things that I knew were blatant lies. One of them was that he said all the ex-presidents wish they had built a wall, they told me that. All the living ex-presidents came out with statements saying that they never said that and they don't support the wall. He also said that the fed employees that are out of work because of the shutdown support him and want him to keep going. They don't, they want their paychecks. 

So even if he does say something truthful and sincere, it is beyond the point of believing him.  

I agree. After hearing 100+ lies or ridiculous statements out of this man's mouth it astonishes me we haven't impeached his ass yet. 

Adorkable
8 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

I agree. After hearing 100+ lies or ridiculous statements out of this man's mouth it astonishes me we haven't impeached his ass yet. 

He isn't impeached because he has not been charged with anything illegal. The only way he can be impeached is if he is charged with treason, bribery or other high crimes. The reason the dems have not tried to impeach him yet is because they have nothing to back it up other than he is an ass. The house can impeach him, but with a republican senate it would be shot down quickly. That is where the Mueller investigation comes in. If it shows that he did collude with the Russians, that is treason. There is no way the senate could let him off with proof. 

I think the Mueller investigation is getting real close. Michael Cohen is testify in front of congress today, and I think he is going to sing like a beautiful little birdie. Personally I think it is just a matter of time.   

• Like 1

Trotsky
1 hour ago, Adorkable said:

He isn't impeached because he has not been charged with anything illegal. The only way he can be impeached is if he is charged with treason, bribery or other high crimes. The reason the dems have not tried to impeach him yet is because they have nothing to back it up other than he is an ass. The house can impeach him, but with a republican senate it would be shot down quickly. That is where the Mueller investigation comes in. If it shows that he did collude with the Russians, that is treason. There is no way the senate could let him off with proof. 

I think the Mueller investigation is getting real close. Michael Cohen is testify in front of congress today, and I think he is going to sing like a beautiful little birdie. Personally I think it is just a matter of time.   

There is something outside of Mueller's investigation that could take him down right now, violation of the Emoluments Clause. He is accepting money from the Saudis and the Chinese while in office. Some Saudis stay in his hotels for a few nights, pay a bill that somehow is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then coincidentally Trump sells Saudi Arabia all of the weapons they want and defends them when Congress wants to cut off the guns and money.

Adorkable
31 minutes ago, Trotsky said:

There is something outside of Mueller's investigation that could take him down right now, violation of the Emoluments Clause. He is accepting money from the Saudis and the Chinese while in office. Some Saudis stay in his hotels for a few nights, pay a bill that somehow is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then coincidentally Trump sells Saudi Arabia all of the weapons they want and defends them when Congress wants to cut off the guns and money.

That is true. However, I think the dems are waiting for the Mueller investigation because it will give them something indisputable. You don't want to go after him, get it shot down and try again.  

Brooklyn Baby

my favorite part of this shutdown is when trump made CNN fact checkers make his point for him. 

Trump: 1 in 3 women have been sexually assaulted while traveling to our border.

CNN: ACKSHUALLY IT'S 60-80% OF WOMEN TRAVELING THROUGH MEXICO WHO ARE RAPED ALONG THE WAY - wait, shit. delete, delete, delete.

Trump: Every week, 300 U.S. citizens are killed by heroin alone. 

CNN: AYYCCKKSHUALLY 306 U.S. citizens are killed by heroin per week - :unsure:

Trump: 90 percent of the heroin that comes in the U.S. comes in through the southern border. 

CNN: UMMMMM THE FACT IS THAT THE SWB remains the primary entry point for heroin in the United States........

Trump: Build the wall, motherfuckers :toocool:

CNN: :shok:

also I don't think Jim Acosta's ass has ever been quite this blasted. Delicious. 

Joe.
19 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

my favorite part of this shutdown is when trump made CNN fact checkers make his point for him. 

CNN: ACKSHUALLY IT'S 60-80% OF WOMEN TRAVELING THROUGH MEXICO WHO ARE RAPED ALONG THE WAY - wait, shit. delete, delete, delete.

Trump: 90 percent of the heroin that comes in the U.S. comes in through the southern border. 

CNN: UMMMMM THE FACT IS THAT THE SWB remains the primary entry point for heroin in the United States........

also I don't think Jim Acosta's ass has ever been quite this blasted. Delicious. 

And you think ten feet of concrete are going to make these problems disappear?

• Like 3

Adorkable
25 minutes ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

Everything you said is correct. However, a wall won't fix any of it. 

Yes, women are raped and assaulted while they are traveling to the border. According to United Nations University, 85% of the women migrating live in neighborhoods that are controlled by criminal groups. They face the possibility of rape, assault, extortion and other crimes. While traveling through Mexico, upwards of 20,000 migrants are kidnapped and help for ransom money from their families back home.   This is their daily lives. They risk migration to get to a better life in the US. https://unu.edu/publications/articles/fleeing-to-mexico-for-safety-the-perilous-journey-for-migrant-women.html

Yes, 306 US Citizens overdose on heroin every week. And yes, about 90% of the heroin in the US comes across the southern border. However, a border wall won't stop that either. That is because most of the heroin comes across legal points of entry hidden in secret compartments in cars or co-mingled with products on tractor trailers. https://www.wola.org/analysis/four-common-misconceptions-u-s-bound-drug-flows-mexico-central-america/

I think everyone wants the same thing, a higher level of border security. A wall will not bring that. What we need is immigration reform and stricter border security, such as high grade cameras, thermal imaging, movement sensors, etc. Plus hiring more border patrol guards. Bernie outlines it pretty well. https://berniesanders.com/issues/a-fair-and-humane-immigration-policy/

• Like 3