maryjanewhatsername

Least Favorite Bands, Artists, and Songs

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Fuck Bon Jovi.

• Haha 2

kaylubd
18 hours ago, deadair said:

Well, that's disappointing. He's talented, but I guess not always a great person.

EDIT: I read more into it, I don't think he worded it well, but I think the Chinese thing has to do with how they treat animals badly so I'll give him a pass on that one. I don't agree with him defending an anti-Islam activist. I totally support his anti-Trump comments though lol.

That may be true, but I think referring to a whole race of people as a subspecies because of how they treat animals is going too far. He's also penning that on a whole nation, which isn't fair. His anti-Trump comments are fine, no complaints from me there lol.

Also, I've just never been a fan of The Smiths or Morrisey's music in general. It's just something I can't get into.

• Like 2

o_O
42 minutes ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Fuck Bon Jovi.

they're overrated for sure. 

Adorkable

Bon Jovi is hot as hell so he gets a pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

deadair
10 hours ago, Adorkable said:

I've never heard Chris Cornell called underrated. He was highly respected and still is.

Well I guess I was thinking compared to Kurt (who I also love). I still hear Nirvana a lot on alternative radio here, I rarely hear AIC or Soundgarden.

Hermione

Bon Jovi are cringeworthy as hell but I never won't be entertained by this song, so cheesy you have to enjoy it

Adorkable
1 hour ago, deadair said:

Well I guess I was thinking compared to Kurt (who I also love). I still hear Nirvana a lot on alternative radio here, I rarely hear AIC or Soundgarden.

What is your definition of underrated? How much you hear them on the radio? I actually think that Chris Cornell was/is considered a more accomplished songwriter. Kurt Cobain is definitely more of a household name, but if you are talking musically than I would give the nod to Chris Cornell. I also hear Soundgarden just as much as I hear Nirvana on the radio. Who you like best is really personal taste, I definitely prefer Chris Cornell so maybe I am biased. 

deadair
2 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

What is your definition of underrated? How much you hear them on the radio? I actually think that Chris Cornell was/is considered a more accomplished songwriter. Kurt Cobain is definitely more of a household name, but if you are talking musically than I would give the nod to Chris Cornell. I also hear Soundgarden just as much as I hear Nirvana on the radio. Who you like best is really personal taste, I definitely prefer Chris Cornell so maybe I am biased. 

Underrated to me can be determined by how many people from future generations really know/remember them, concert sales, and radio airplay. I don't listen to pop radio, I pretty much listen to Alternative/Hard Rock radio. But he isn't played much around here (neither is Layne), but I hear 3 or 4 Nirvana songs a day. Someone can be really respected but also generally by a certain age group/crowd. I don't know too many other people my age (25) around here who really like Chris Cornell. I love both Chris and Kurt, for different reasons. I think he's a much better vocalist than Kurt. But, Kurt does have a distinctive voice and I like his lyrical style.

kaylubd

I feel like Kurt Cobain eclipses all of grunge in mainstream media including Soundgarden. I wouldn't say Cornell was underrated but before his death I feel I didn't hear too much about him unless it was huge news. 

• Like 2

deadair
2 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I feel like Kurt Cobain eclipses all of grunge in mainstream media including Soundgarden. I wouldn't say Cornell was underrated but before his death I feel I didn't hear too much about him unless it was huge news. 

I remember being really disappointed by the lack of attention and airplay that King Animal (Soundgarden's reunion album and last album) got. I think I heard "Been Away Too Long" once or twice and that was it. Maybe you couldn't call Badmotorfinger/Superunknown underrated, but I would definitely call King Animal underrated.

• Like 1

kaylubd
22 minutes ago, deadair said:

I remember being really disappointed by the lack of attention and airplay that King Animal (Soundgarden's reunion album and last album) got. I think I heard "Been Away Too Long" once or twice and that was it. Maybe you couldn't call Badmotorfinger/Superunknown underrated, but I would definitely call King Animal underrated.

I would agree. I remember reading a bit about that album and hearing that song like once and that was it. It's just unfortunate because when most outlets talk about grunge Nirvana is the focus. Second would be Soundgarden or Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains? Eh maybe if we're lucky. 

• Like 2

deadair
40 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Second would be Soundgarden or Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains? Eh maybe if we're lucky. 

Based on concert sales and radio airplay here, I'd say Pearl Jam would be second. I like them, but not nearly as much as Soundgarden, Nirvana, and Alice In Chains.

The Insider

Evanescence, Mumford & Sons & Aerosmith are the first ones to come to mind.  Im sure there are more.

• Sad 1

maryjanewhatsername
4 hours ago, deadair said:

Based on concert sales and radio airplay here, I'd say Pearl Jam would be second. I like them, but not nearly as much as Soundgarden, Nirvana, and Alice In Chains.

I'm not a huge fan of Pearl Jam or Sound Garden but I appreciate what they did for the music industry and their musical innovations. Personally I love Nirvana more than life and have a Nirvana tattoo, so I'm far too biased to even comment on how under rated Chris Cornell is! 

• Like 1

Tre's Busted Drumkit
5 hours ago, Hermione said:

Bon Jovi are cringeworthy as hell but I never won't be entertained by this song, so cheesy you have to enjoy it

That's the problem with Bon Jovi. He's a no-talent assclown. Without Richie Sambora, no one outside of whatever paper company he ends up working sales at knows who he is. With Sambora, he's got all these infectiously bad songs out there that you know the words to. Even if it's your first time ever hearing the goddamn song, you know the words. And it kills you inside that you know the shitty fucking words to that shitty fucking song, yet you still enjoy singing them with your drunk friends at the pub because the lyrics are so fucking catchy that, given time, you can't help but like them.

Fuck Bon Jovi.

• Like 1

WhiteTim

I hear Audioslave more than I do Soundgarden 

• Like 2

deadair
23 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

I hear Audioslave more than I do Soundgarden 

Same here, the only Chris song I currently hear fairly regularly on Milwaukee's local Alternative radio station is "Like a Stone"

maryjanewhatsername
On 1/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, kaylubd said:

He spouts the most ridiculous nonsense. When he was at Riot Fest he said he wouldn't go on stage unless all the vendors around stepped selling meat products. He's also racist calling Chinese people a subspecies and last year he came out in support of Kevin Spacey and thinks being "racist" actually means "wow you have a point." You can read more about that here 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-talks-racism-left-wing-hitler-says-sadiq-khan-can-not-talk-properly-2295226

Aside from that, he's so up his own butt about animal rights that he equates eating meat to being a pedophile. 

If you're interested in more, he's a list of his more questionable quotes:

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/music/morrissey-from-reggae-to-royalty-a-timeline-of-the-singers-most-controversial-opinions-a3857906.html

Read these and about shit myself. How can one person be this stupid (and NOT be Trump)?? He either is truly that ignorant and doesn't understand bigotry/racism, or he's so arrogant that he truly believes he's incapable of being offensive. Honestly, either way, what a fucking douche. 

• Like 1

duckez

Has no one mentioned Simple Plan yet? I used to think they were the greatest thing but now I think they suck honestly (sorry to people who like them). One of the reasons why I hate them is probably because when I was like 7 I had an iPod with the song I'm Just A Kid on it and nothing else. I just listened to the song over and over for like 3 months because it was just so great... now I can't stand it

I don't find Twenty One Pilots to be all that great either

• Like 1

Adorkable
5 hours ago, deadair said:

Same here, the only Chris song I currently hear fairly regularly on Milwaukee's local Alternative radio station is "Like a Stone"

I must be lucky, my local radio stations play any Chris Cornell all the time.  

6 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

Fuck Bon Jovi.

Would love too, therefore he gets a pass

• Like 2

kaylubd

Oh man how did I forget Simple Plan? I used to like them too until I realized that all their songs sound the same and they're whiny as hell. 

I also can't stand Nicki Minaj. Everything about her I hate. I don't like Cardi B either but if I had to pick between them I'd take the latter. 

• Like 2

o_O

Megan Trainor i cannot stand at all. i just can't put my finger on to why i hate her music. 

Hermione
4 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Oh man how did I forget Simple Plan? I used to like them too until I realized that all their songs sound the same and they're whiny as hell. 

I also can't stand Nicki Minaj. Everything about her I hate. I don't like Cardi B either but if I had to pick between them I'd take the latter. 

I find Nicki Minaj annoying and her music isn't to my taste (especially the dumb "funny" voices she puts on) but I can't deny she's a talented rapper, she has some great bars. I think Cardi B is less talented but there's something charming about her upfront personality that means I can't hate her. For me the most talentless and annoying female rapper by far is Iggy Azalea (but luckily seems the hype for her has faded anyway).

12 minutes ago, o_O said:

Megan Trainor i cannot stand at all. i just can't put my finger on to why i hate her music. 

Agreed, I don't "get" her at all or see anything appealing about her music.

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
27 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I find Nicki Minaj annoying and her music isn't to my taste (especially the dumb "funny" voices she puts on) but I can't deny she's a talented rapper, she has some great bars. I think Cardi B is less talented but there's something charming about her upfront personality that means I can't hate her. For me the most talentless and annoying female rapper by far is Iggy Azalea (but luckily seems the hype for her has faded anyway).

Agreed, I don't "get" her at all or see anything appealing about her music.

I agree with you. Iggy Azalea is by far the worst female rapper. And I'm glad I don't see or hear as much from her anymore. 

The Insider
12 hours ago, Adorkable said:

Would love too, therefore he gets a pass

He has good hair for his age but Bon Jovi sux giant ones.

• Haha 1