maryjanewhatsername

Least Favorite Bands, Artists, and Songs

o_O

Blood on the Dance Floor. 

i think the reasons should be pretty obvious. The guy is a creep and his music is bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maryjanewhatsername
Just now, o_O said:

Blood on the Dance Floor. 

i think the reasons should be pretty obvious. The guy is a creep and his music is bad. 

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT THIS BAND. The guy is so creepy!!! :lol:

• Like 1

kaylubd

I guess I don't mind them but I don't get the BTS hype. I guess I'm not a k-pop person. 

Also Twenty One Pilots. Don't get them. Don't like them. 

• Like 1

deadair

Beastie Boys. Besides hearing good live covers of "Sabotage" by Linkin Park and Grouplove, I think they're way overrated. Don't like their voices either.

Violent Femmes

They Might Be Giants

Harvey Danger. I only know "Flagpole Sitta" but that song is played a lot on my local Alternative station and I think the lyrics/song is annoying.

Lorde. Can't stand her. Although, Local H do a good cover of "Team" and remove the worst line of the song.

Bob Marley. I respect his politics and activism. But I don't like most songs I've heard by him. I can't stand "I Shot the Sheriff", Grandson does a good cover of his song "War" though.

Cake. I can't stand their older hits like "Short Skirt/Long Jacket", "The Distance", "Never There", and their horrible cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". But I did recently heard a new song of theirs called "Sinking Ship" and it wasn't bad.

Kanye West. When I heard part of "Lift Yourself" in a television commercial for the MTV VMAs last year, it was so bad/funny I didn't think it was a real song.

AC/DC. I don't mind the songs I've heard from the Bon Scott era and I hope Axl Rose will do a studio album with them since I'm a big Guns N' Roses fan and he's been their most recent live singer, but I can't stand Brian Johnson's voice, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

• Like 1

Shahd

Panic! At the Disco and All Time Low.

Brendon Urie pisses me off for some reason, I can't stand seeing his face, same goes to everyone in All Time Low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

o_O
16 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT THIS BAND. The guy is so creepy!!! :lol:

and his lowlife ass is scamming his fans (not shipping any of the merch they bought from him) and the list goes on and on. there was even a Huffington Post article about him. 

4 hours ago, deadair said:

Beastie Boys. Besides hearing good live covers of "Sabotage" by Linkin Park and Grouplove, I think they're way overrated. Don't like their voices either.

Violent Femmes

They Might Be Giants

Harvey Danger. I only know "Flagpole Sitta" but that song is played a lot on my local Alternative station and I think the lyrics/song is annoying.

Lorde. Can't stand her. Although, Local H do a good cover of "Team" and remove the worst line of the song.

Bob Marley. I respect his politics and activism. But I don't like most songs I've heard by him. I can't stand "I Shot the Sheriff", Grandson does a good cover of his song "War" though.

Cake. I can't stand their older hits like "Short Skirt/Long Jacket", "The Distance", "Never There", and their horrible cover of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive". But I did recently heard a new song of theirs called "Sinking Ship" and it wasn't bad.

Kanye West. When I heard part of "Lift Yourself" in a television commercial for the MTV VMAs last year, it was so bad/funny I didn't think it was a real song.

AC/DC. I don't mind the songs I've heard from the Bon Scott era and I hope Axl Rose will do a studio album with them since I'm a big Guns N' Roses fan and he's been their most recent live singer, but I can't stand Brian Johnson's voice, it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Cake is weird with me. like the vocals are annoying to me. Older Kanye was good imo. 

53 minutes ago, Shahd said:

Brendon Urie pisses me off for some reason, I can't stand seeing his face, same goes to everyone in All Time Low.

older panic was decent. newer shit after 2010 sucks to be honest. and ATL to me the same thing. 

• Like 1

Billie Hoe
3 hours ago, o_O said:

and his lowlife ass is scamming his fans (not shipping any of the merch they bought from him) and the list goes on and on. there was even a Huffington Post article about him. 

Blood on the Dancefloor? Isn't the guy a rapist?

maryjanewhatsername
5 hours ago, Shahd said:

I fucking HATE PATD. His voice is really whiny to me. Idk why, because everyone else seems to really like them, but I'm not a fan. 

Also don't like Fallout Boy. Too pop and I really don't like his voice. 

Not as cool as Tré Cool

Hey, Panic! At The Disco is good! :( why you guys hating on Brendon so much

• Like 1

pouty bitch

I can't really think of any artists that I particularly hate as I don't really pay any attention to the ones I'm not a fan of. I did used to have an irrational hatred for Ariana Grande but I've since kinda made peace with her (although I'm definitely not a fan of hers and doubt I ever will be).

Another one that comes to mind is Coldplay - I don't hate/have anything against them, they just seem to pop up everywhere and I'm sick of having them shoved in my face (and they're kinda boring too).

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
24 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I can't really think of any artists that I particularly hate as I don't really pay any attention to the ones I'm not a fan of. I did used to have an irrational hatred for Ariana Grande but I've since kinda made peace with her (although I'm definitely not a fan of hers and doubt I ever will be).

Another one that comes to mind is Coldplay - I don't hate/have anything against them, they just seem to pop up everywhere and I'm sick of having them shoved in my face (and they're kinda boring too).

I would sadly have to agree. Love some of Coldplay's stuff, but also they are a bit boring. Ariana Grande seems like she has over inflated popularity to me. All of her songs are pop love songs. 

Jane Lannister

Coldplay is just boring. I don't hate them but don't understand the hype at all. 

• Like 1

Adorkable

Since they were just announced that they are headlining the the Super Bowl Halftime show, it reminded me how much I hate Maroon 5. I guess I will be watching the puppy bowl this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, Adorkable said:

Since they were just announced that they are headlining the the Super Bowl Halftime show, it reminded me how much I hate Maroon 5. I guess I will be watching the puppy bowl this year.

I always watch the puppy bowl anyways :lol:

• Like 1

kaylubd

I really love old PATD. The new stuff is okay but I just don't get the mass fandom that surrounds them. And Brenden Urie has some questionable views on things. He's said some controversial things in the past and it always seems to get buried. 

I'm sorry I can't stand Ariana Grande. It creeps me out how she's mid 20s yet she looks like she's 12. And I'm really tired of the whole she's the next Mariah Carey. She's not. Mariah will always hold that place. And for that matter I don't like Rihanna either. 

And I just don't like Paramore. I don't despise them but they're just not for me. But I do hate Morrissey. He's a dick. 

• Like 1

DeJennsitized
9 hours ago, Adorkable said:

You're kidding. For fuck's sake, I love watching the halftime shows, even for artists I'm not that bothered about, but I hate that fucking band so i'll have to skip it this time =/

deadair
8 hours ago, kaylubd said:

But I do hate Morrissey. He's a dick. 

Besides cancelling most of his shows, what makes him a dick? Just curious. I don't know a ton about him, but I like the few songs I've heard by him/The Smiths and I know he's involved in a lot of animal rights/humanitarian causes.

deadair
On 1/10/2019 at 1:10 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

To start, one of my least favorite bands is Godsmack. The reason why I don't like them is because they blatantly copied one of my favorite bands, Alice in Chains. For example, their sun logo is based upon the sun logo that Layne Staley drew for Alice In Chains. Their name came from an AIC song off of their album Dirt. And the lead singer even admitted that at one point they were an AIC cover band. For those reasons, and for his copied vocals, I just really don't like Godsmack. 

It's one thing to hate the band for the way his voice sounds (which doesn't sound at all like Layne to me, Layne had a really unique voice with more of a twang to it at times, where Sully's voice is more of a rougher hard rock voice), but if an artists admits they like another band and do certain things similar (without directly stealing), you're doing a homage to them or taking inspiration from them. I know Sully wouldn't blatantly steal from them, he is a big fan, after all he named his band after the AIC song and their music really doesn't sound alike to me. I mean you could say the same thing about Blink-182 doing a smile logo similar to Nirvana's, but really it's a minute thing and not a direct ripoff. I'm not favoring Godsmack either, I love both bands (+ Mad Season). My mom is actually internet acquaintances with Layne Staley's mom, they emailed at least 30-40 times back and forth a few years ago. We got a card in the mail from her once.

• Like 2

kaylubd
1 hour ago, deadair said:

Besides cancelling most of his shows, what makes him a dick? Just curious. I don't know a ton about him, but I like the few songs I've heard by him/The Smiths and I know he's involved in a lot of animal rights/humanitarian causes.

He spouts the most ridiculous nonsense. When he was at Riot Fest he said he wouldn't go on stage unless all the vendors around stepped selling meat products. He's also racist calling Chinese people a subspecies and last year he came out in support of Kevin Spacey and thinks being "racist" actually means "wow you have a point." You can read more about that here 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-talks-racism-left-wing-hitler-says-sadiq-khan-can-not-talk-properly-2295226

Aside from that, he's so up his own butt about animal rights that he equates eating meat to being a pedophile. 

If you're interested in more, he's a list of his more questionable quotes:

https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/music/morrissey-from-reggae-to-royalty-a-timeline-of-the-singers-most-controversial-opinions-a3857906.html

deadair
5 hours ago, kaylubd said:

He's also racist calling Chinese people a subspecies and last year he came out in support of Kevin Spacey and thinks being "racist" actually means "wow you have a point." You can read more about that here 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/morrissey-talks-racism-left-wing-hitler-says-sadiq-khan-can-not-talk-properly-2295226

Well, that's disappointing. He's talented, but I guess not always a great person.

EDIT: I read more into it, I don't think he worded it well, but I think the Chinese thing has to do with how they treat animals badly so I'll give him a pass on that one. I don't agree with him defending an anti-Islam activist. I totally support his anti-Trump comments though lol.

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
17 minutes ago, deadair said:

It's one thing to hate the band for the way his voice sounds (which doesn't sound at all like Layne to me, Layne had a really unique voice with more of a twang to it at times, where Sully's voice is more of a rougher hard rock voice), but if an artists admits they like another band and do certain things similar (without directly stealing), you're doing a homage to them or taking inspiration from them. I know Sully wouldn't blatantly steal from them, he is a big fan, after all he named his band after the AIC song and their music really doesn't sound alike to me. I mean you could say the same thing about Blink-182 doing a smile logo similar to Nirvana's, but really it's a minute thing and not a direct ripoff. I'm not favoring Godsmack either, I love both bands (+ Mad Season). My mom is actually internet acquaintances with Layne Staley's mom, they emailed at least 30-40 times back and forth a few years ago. We got a card in the mail from her once.

That's actually super cool! I love Layne Staley and I think that's awesome that your mom was in contact with his mom. And I really respect your reply, and I appreciate the outlook! I'll have to give their music another try. 

• Like 1

deadair
18 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

That's actually super cool! I love Layne Staley and I think that's awesome that your mom was in contact with his mom. And I really respect your reply, and I appreciate the outlook! I'll have to give their music another try. 

Layne was really underrated. The same with Chris Cornell imo, who I got to see live three times before he died (twice with Soundgarden and once solo). I recommend "Serenity" and "Moon Baby" by Godsmack, if you haven't heard those and ever want to give them another try. You may still not like them and disagree with me, but I'm glad we were able to have a respectful conversation.

Now, speaking of artists I'm not a fan of, if you really want to hear somebody stealing from another artist listen to Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" and then listen to Tom Petty's "I Won;'t Back Down". To be fair though, he did come to a settlement with Tom Petty and gave him and co-writer Jeff Lynne credits on his song. And I love Coldplay, but they got sued by Cat Stevens (now named Yusuf Islam) and Joe Satriani for parts of the melody of "Viva La Vida".

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
21 minutes ago, deadair said:

Layne was really underrated. The same with Chris Cornell imo, who I got to see live three times before he died (twice with Soundgarden and once solo). I recommend "Serenity" and "Moon Baby" by Godsmack, if you haven't heard those and ever want to give them another try. You may still not like them and disagree with me, but I'm glad we were able to have a respectful conversation.

Now, speaking of artists I'm not a fan of, if you really want to hear somebody stealing from another artist listen to Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" and then listen to Tom Petty's "I Won;'t Back Down". To be fair though, he did come to a settlement with Tom Petty and gave him and co-writer Jeff Lynne credits on his song. And I love Coldplay, but they got sued by Cat Stevens (now named Yusuf Islam) and Joe Satriani for parts of the melody of "Viva La Vida".

I will definitely have to give those two a listen!! And I agree about Sam Smith. Not a huge fan of his anyways, and the fact he pretty much plagiarized Tom Petty is pretty pathetic. I did not know that about Coldplay! 

• Like 1

Adorkable
9 hours ago, deadair said:

Layne was really underrated. The same with Chris Cornell imo, who I got to see live three times before he died (twice with Soundgarden and once solo).

I've never heard Chris Cornell called underrated. He was highly respected and still is.

maryjanewhatsername
2 hours ago, Adorkable said:

I've never heard Chris Cornell called underrated. He was highly respected and still is.

I would agree with this. Chris Cornell gets a heck of a lot more recognition than Layne Staley ever has. 

• Like 1