Donation to help with costs Read more... ×
maryjanewhatsername

Least Favorite Bands, Artists, and Songs

maryjanewhatsername

I don't know if this has been made yet or not, and if it is a thread I apologize and hope this one gets merged, but I thought it would be cool if we had a discussion for our least favorite music on here. There's a lot of discussions on certain favorites (the Muse thread, Nirvana, etc.) but damn near none for just discussing elements or music we don't like. 

Just some ground rules, this is a thread for FRIENDLY DISCORD, no name calling or just being a dick. Debate and arguments are cool, as long as they are intelligent and respectful to others! Also this isn't meant to drag or shame artists, just to discuss why certain music isn't appealing to everyone. 

To start, one of my least favorite bands is Godsmack. The reason why I don't like them is because they blatantly copied one of my favorite bands, Alice in Chains. For example, their sun logo is based upon the sun logo that Layne Staley drew for Alice In Chains. Their name came from an AIC song off of their album Dirt. And the lead singer even admitted that at one point they were an AIC cover band. For those reasons, and for his copied vocals, I just really don't like Godsmack. 

• Thanks 1

Sarcasm

since Green Day ripped off Oasis and The Kinks I've really hated those guys 

fukingcounterstrike
12 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

since Green Day ripped off Oasis and The Kinks I've really hated those guys 

They're fan base are a bunch of fucking whiny wankers too 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

So true. Buncha babies. 

The Insider
1 hour ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

Take it to PM.

• Like 2

fukingcounterstrike
36 minutes ago, The Insider said:

Take it to PM.

NO, I'll derail this whole place if I have to :mad:    

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I hate the band All Time Low. They did a cover of Longview and it fucking sucked.

They must be called All Time Low for a reason!

duckez

I know that it's popular to hate this band, but I really dislike Imagine Dragons. I didn't think that were that bad before they made that Thunder song. I find it to be one of the worst songs ever made, just one. I also don't know how you can't hate all these rappers these days like that 6ixnine guy or however you spell it. Also I've always strongly disliked the song Don't Stop Believing, there's not any specific reason why I can think of though

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername
6 hours ago, duckez said:

I know that it's popular to hate this band, but I really dislike Imagine Dragons. I didn't think that were that bad before they made that Thunder song. I find it to be one of the worst songs ever made, just one. I also don't know how you can't hate all these rappers these days like that 6ixnine guy or however you spell it. Also I've always strongly disliked the song Don't Stop Believing, there's not any specific reason why I can think of though

I agree about Imagine Dragons. That Thunder song is stupid. No meaning, no complexity, just thunder over and over. I've never been a fan of "Don't Stop Believing" either. The band that made it, Journey, had a lot of hits that sounded damn near identical to that. 

• Like 1

Beerjeezus

Reported because I disagree.

Thunder is okay, it's On Top of the World that's super annoying.

• Haha 2

Bully Hoe
2 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

I agree about Imagine Dragons. That Thunder song is stupid. No meaning, no complexity, just thunder over and over. I've never been a fan of "Don't Stop Believing" either. The band that made it, Journey, had a lot of hits that sounded damn near identical to that. 

Can y'all stop hating on one of my favorite bands :cry:

A song doesn't need to have meaning or complexity to be a good song. Queen wrote a song about wanting to ride a bicycle or being in love with their car, yet they're not considered a terrible band because of those two songs. Also, "Thunder" is not without meaning or complexity as you said, you're judging it by its chorus alone. Youngblood and She's a Rebel have a repetitive chorus, too, but they are good songs regardless.

Here's the lyrics:

"Just a young gun with a quick fuse
I was uptight, wanna let loose
I was dreaming of bigger things
And wanna leave my own life behind
Not a yes sir, not a follower
Fit the box, fit the mold
Have a seat in the foyer, take a number
I was lightning before the thunder

[chorus]

Kids were laughing in my classes
While I was scheming for the masses
Who do you think you are?
Dreaming 'bout being a big star
They say you're basic, they say you're easy
You're always riding in the back seat
Now I'm smiling from the stage while
You were clapping in the nose bleeds"

You don't have to like the song, but it's not stupid. I think the song is really cool, the lyrics are sweet, and it's a ton of fun to listen to it. Whenever it comes on, I can't help but clap/stomp along to the 3 beats. It's even more fun to listen to it live! Which I have, twice. The guys are an incredibly talented (live) band and they're super charismatic, good people. :) Their shows are amazing, their songs are catchy as hell (and have like... really good lyrics) and Dan Reynolds (the frontman) made it special every time by giving a speech on something that means a lot to him (like Green Day do too).

The first time I saw them, they were playing right before Green Day at a festival and he gave a speech about what happened in Manchester (it was a magical moment because every person in the crowd lifted their hands to do the peace sign), the second time he talked about the song "Demons" and the inspiration behind it (which was his depression with which he struggled all his life).

So Imagine Dragons have a special place in my heart :) Surely there are songs that are less good than other songs, but they're still a fantastic band who deserve their following.

9 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

I hate the band All Time Low. They did a cover of Longview and it fucking sucked.

They must be called All Time Low for a reason!

I liked All Time Low for a long time before 2013, they were one of my favorites. I didn't hear their cover of Longview and I don't think I want to, but their first couple of albums are actually pretty great I think. Alex is a good songwriter and the music was really good. I didn't hear their newer stuff (Future Hearts and Laundry Day, I think) but I heard from many fans that the last album sucked. 

I stopped liking them after they opened for Green Day in London in 2013 - not because they weren't a good live band but because I was kinda disillusioned by how they were behaving on stage. The songs sounded great but they were being kinda immature, like little boys who were in it for the fame and the ladies. I know that's not the case since the front man is married and stuff, but that was all the more reason because it felt really fake? I don't know. Why pretend you're a flirty stud when you're not, if not to reel horny fangirls into your fanbase who will throw their bra on stage for you to collect.

kaylubd

I guess I have a lot controversial ones, but artists I absolutely can't stand are Taylor Swift, Kanye West, and Beyonce. 

I used to really like Maroon 5, but now they suck so much. I can't stand them. And sorry, but I gotta jump on the Imagine Dragons train. I really can't stand them and I hate that mainstream feels they're the best thing in rock music. Give me a break.

• Love 1

DeJennsitized
16 hours ago, duckez said:

I like Imagine Dragons. I think their songs are quite cute. And they're great live.

I can't stand Maroon 5 with Levine's whiny voice and songs about harassing women. 

• Like 3

Bully Hoe

oIItxj2.jpg

26 minutes ago, DeJennsitized said:

I can't stand Maroon 5 with Levine's whiny voice and songs about harassing women. 

What's this I read? Can you give an example? Why haven't I ever heard of this?

Oh and number 1 person I fucking despise: ROBIN THICKE.

• Haha 3

maryjanewhatsername
3 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Hardcore agree about Robin Thicke. Not trying to trash Imagine Dragons, just not a fan personally. But I'm really picky about my music, too. :P

maryjanewhatsername
14 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Reported because I disagree.

This is why you make me smile :lol: Maybe I'll finally get that Christmas Warning Point from @Hermione! :lol:

• Haha 1

DeJennsitized
15 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

What's this I read? Can you give an example? Why haven't I ever heard of this?

Animals is one, and I’m sure there were others that I read as basically not leaving a woman alone after she’s rejected him. Payphone possibly. 

Joe.

The 1975. The most over-hyped band around. 

On 1/11/2019 at 1:05 AM, fukingcounterstrike said:

giphy.gif

fukingcounterstrike
5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

The 1975. The most over-hyped band around. 

AmbitiousGoldenIberianlynx-small.gif 

Eric

swmrs and every song they made

Joe.
19 minutes ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

The fact they can have a treadmill as part of their live show and be labelled groundbreaking and original is just the latest thing to annoy me.

They're just a boyband for indie kids.

• Haha 1

fukingcounterstrike
13 minutes ago, Joe. said:

The fact they can have a treadmill as part of their live show and be labelled groundbreaking and original is just the latest thing to annoy me.

They're just a boyband for indie kids.

oh the gif was in reply to your gif, but the mods don't like quoting pictures or videos or anything cause they suck, so I got rid of it, and left the text. It's a reply to the gif

Joe.
19 minutes ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

oh the gif was in reply to your gif, but the mods don't like quoting pictures or videos or anything cause they suck, so I got rid of it, and left the text. It's a reply to the gif

I see.

tumblr_mai5zaCX5y1qfqrhgo1_500.gif

fukingcounterstrike
2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I see.

tumblr_mai5zaCX5y1qfqrhgo1_500.gif

tenor.gif 

• Haha 1

The Great Saiyaman

Arcade Fire. I've never gotten why this band is so popular. Out of curiosity, I went and listened to their first album, whatever its name is, and didn't think much of it. I also used to hear songs from their newer album all the time on the radio and all I can say about those songs is that I'd rather listen to paint dry. Stopped listening to that station altogether. 

• Like 1