Movies Featuring Green Day Songs

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Because I've been looking through my Green Day collection recently I started looking at all the movies that featured Green Day songs and this is the list I came up with. Their songs have also been used for trailers, commercials and TV series and they've made cameos etc, but this is specifically the movies their music was featured in.

Angus - "JAR" (1995)

220px-Angus_movie_1995.jpg

The Jerky Boys: The Movie - "2000 Light Year's Away" (1995)

220px-The_Jerky_Boys_The_Movie_poster.jp

Joe's Apartment - "86" (1996)

220px-Joe's_Apartment.jpg

Dirty Work - "Burnout" (1998)

220px-DirtyWork1998.jpg

Godzilla - "Brain Stew (The Godzilla Remix)" (1998)

220px-Godzilla_(1998_Movie_Poster).jpg

Howard Stern: Private Parts - "Tired of Waiting for You" (1999)

220px-Howard_Sterns_Private_Parts_Film_P

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - "Espionage" (1999)

Austin_Powers-_The_Spy_Who_Shagged_Me.jp

Varsity Blues - "Nice Guy's Finish Last" (1999)

220px-Varsity_Blues_(1999_film)_poster.j

Freddy Got Fingered - "Blood, Sex and Booze" (2001)

220px-Freddy_Got_Fingered_(movie_poster)

American Pie 2 - "Scumbag" (2001)

220px-Americanpie2.jpg

The New Guy - "Outsider" (2002)

215px-NewGuyPoster.jpg

Accepted - "Holiday" (2006)

220px-Acceptedposter.jpg

Stick It - "Brain Stew" (2006)

220px-Stickit.jpg

The Simpsons - "The Simpsons Theme" (2007)

220px-Simpsons_final_poster.png

Surf's Up - "Welcome to Paradise" and an instrumental version of "Holiday" (2007)

Surfs_upmp.jpg

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - "21 Guns" (2009)

220px-TF2SteelPoster.jpg

Get Him to the Greek - Foxboro Hot Tubs "Stop, Drop and Roll" (2010)

220px-Get_Him_to_the_Greek.jpg

Journey: The Mysterious Island - "Letterbomb" (2012)

220px-Journey_2_Poster.jpg

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 - "The Forgotten" (2012)

220px-The_Twilight_Saga_Breaking_Dawn_Pa

The Campaign - "99 Revolutions" (plays over the credits) (2012)

220px-Campaign_film_poster.jpg

Sex Tape - "Good Riddance" (2014)

220px-Sex_Tape_(film).jpg

St Vincent - "I Fought the Law" (2014)

220px-St_Vincent_poster.jpg

Ordinary World - "Devil's Kind", "Fever Blister" (performed by Les Skunks), "Ordinary World" and "Body Bag" plays during the credits* (2016)

220px-Ordinary_World_(film).png

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: the Long Haul - "Let Yourself Go" (2017)

220px-Long_Haul_Poster.jpg

Can anyone think of anything I'm missing? I've seen online a reference to Green Day featuring on "Wedding Crashers", "Mayor of the Sunset Strip" and "Shoot Em Up" but couldn't find any evidence to back that up.

*I'd completely forgotten if I ever knew this but interesting to see that Jakob and Joey (Swmrs) performed on the Ordinary World Soundtrack too. These are the tracks:

King of the World 
Written and performed by Jakob Armstrong 
Published by Jakob Armstrong 

Figuring It Out 
Written by Joseph Armstrong, Cole Becker, Max Becker, Zac Carper, and Sebastian Mueller 
Performed by Swmrs 
Published by Joey Noto, Cole Becker, Max Becker, AP Mueller and Music of Big Deal/Shred Aloha Music (BMI), administered by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere that Stop, Drop & Roll was in Get Him to the Greek. If true, it's kinda cool that a Hot Tubs song made it into a movie.:wub:

Also, Letterbomb plays in the opening scene of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Let Yourself Go is allegedly in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, and apparently Good Riddance is in Sex Tape (I don't have evidence for those last two though).

5 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

I read somewhere that Stop, Drop & Roll was in Get Him to the Greek. If true, it's kinda cool that a Hot Tubs song made it into a movie.:wub:

It was ! And I will confess that is the only reason I watched it.😶

A trailer for the movie Cars featured the song Westbound Sign (Starts at 1:00)

An underrated song for sure, probably one of my favourites from Insomniac.

Just realised this thread is just about movies, not trailers but whatever, this is still worth mentioning

35 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Is this the reason he put that movie on during his live? :lol:

1 hour ago, Montclare said:

Is this the reason he put that movie on during his live? :lol:

Ngl, I had the exact same thought at the time.:lol:

I wonder how much money they make from licensing their songs to movies, and do they get a royalty with every screening, stream and sale of a copy or just a single payment? 

3 hours ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

Also, Letterbomb plays in the opening scene of Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, Let Yourself Go is allegedly in Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, and apparently Good Riddance is in Sex Tape (I don't have evidence for those last two though).

Cool - I'll add those to the OP (well except the sex tape :lol:)

3 hours ago, amberwhite said:

It was ! And I will confess that is the only reason I watched it.😶

Only reason probably most of us watch some of those movies :lol:

Why are the movies that GD are in almost all not very successful!

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Just realised this thread is just about movies, not trailers but whatever, this is still worth mentioning

Maybe we should do a separate list for all the trailers because I think there's loads of them?

37 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I wonder how much money they make from licensing their songs to movies, and do they get a royalty with every screening, stream and sale of a copy or just a single payment? 

If I remember correctly, Penelope Houston said in Gimme Something Better that she still gets royalty checks from the song she did with Billie that was in Friends.

10 minutes ago, Montclare said:

If I remember correctly, Penelope Houston said in Gimme Something Better that she still gets royalty checks from the song she did with Billie that was in Friends.

I love that song - keep meaning to add it to my playlist

8 minutes ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

Burnout is in the movie Dirty Work

Cool - will add that to the OP too

1 hour ago, Tajana said:

Good Riddance at 0:35 :)

I had no idea that was a movie! Have added that to the OP too

Green Day songs are in so many dumb and/or terrible movies :P 

But I'd forgotten about Surf's Up! I remember watching it with my nephew when he was little and how cool it was when Welcome To Paradise and Holiday were in it

I watched Get Him To The Greek in the cinema because I love Russell Brand and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Stop Drop and Roll :lol:

Not a movie but there was a whole episode CSI: New York that was based around Green Day music from their trilogy albums.

I think that episode had, Stop when the Red Lights Flash, Kill the Dj, Amy, The Forgotten and maybe more I can't think right now.

edit: and nightlife

here is Amy from that episode

I remember hearing Mother Mary on an early episode of a German home renovating tv show once :D

And this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Green Day's cover of I Fought The Law was in the 2014 "St. Vincent" movie with Bill Murray! My family was watching it on TV once and I happened to walk in right when the song started playing. :) 

39035.jpg

1 hour ago, Alan86 said:

Not a movie but there was a whole episode CSI: New York that was based around Green Day music from there trilogy albums.

I think that episode had, Stop when the Red Lights Flash, Kill the Dj, Amy, The Forgotten and maybe more I can't think right now.

It also had Nightlife

3 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

And this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Green Day's cover of I Fought The Law was in the 2014 "St. Vincent" movie with Bill Murray! My family was watching it on TV once and I happened to walk in right when the song started playing. :) 

Thanks - adding to the OP. Another movie I had no idea existed! I was surprised to find there was no definitive list online with all the movies that played GD songs

On 1/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, WorryRock02 said:

Mechanical Man ( Billie Joe Armstrong ) in Live Freaky Die Freaky

I just can’t decide whether that one belongs in this category or not? Would it come under “other” or “voice-acting”. I think I was thinking of Green Day songs but then Longshot or FBHT shouldn’t be there either?

On 1/8/2019 at 3:22 AM, TracksAtChristieRoad said:

brain stew was in this clip from stick it (a gymnastics version of bring it on) was very pleased and surprised to hear this when I first watched the movie. as someone who used to do gymnastics and a green day fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI2NTax5hc

Just adding this one (I must have forgotten). 

Edit: I researched this some more and someone suggested on another forum to check out GD's IMDb and I think this lists most movies (and other stuff) GD have featured in. Link here if anyone is interested:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1554564/

• 5 months later...

So @Rumpelstiltskin2000 decided to add some of these to her Green Day collection and we thought we might as well watch them all. We watched Surf's Up and that was cute. Standard kids' movie. Then we watched Joe's Apartment. I don't think I want to do this anymore.

Archived