Problem with new Green Day record

AndrewUnknown

Hi guys,

its been a bit since I’ve been on. Today my vinyl version of American Idiot came in the mail. I got this record player last week with Dark Side of The Moon and I’ve had no problems with that record. I put on Side one of American Idiot and during the first song alone, 4 skips. It got even worse during Jesus of Suburbia. I don’t know if I got a lemon or if this is an issue that plagued this pressing of the album. It’s the 2009 pressing and I got it off amazon. Thanks in advance 

I know a lot of people had problems with the Revolution Radio vinyl. Some suggested at the time to give it a clean in case there's residue from the pressing!

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, AndrewUnknown said:

Hi guys,

its been a bit since I’ve been on. Today my vinyl version of American Idiot came in the mail. I got this record player last week with Dark Side of The Moon and I’ve had no problems with that record. I put on Side one of American Idiot and during the first song alone, 4 skips. It got even worse during Jesus of Suburbia. I don’t know if I got a lemon or if this is an issue that plagued this pressing of the album. It’s the 2009 pressing and I got it off amazon. Thanks in advance 

I had this exact problem.  I returned it and got another, which had the exact same problem.  I got one from another shop.  Similar problem at first, but much less severe so I kept it.  First two were from HMV ( a big High Street record store chain in the UK).  The third was from my local independent record store.  I think it may have been poor shipping/warehouse conditions, or possibly even an issue with the whole pressing.  Definitely contact your retailer, Amazon probably kept it in less-than-ideal conditions and will almost certainly exchange it, which worked in the end for me.

Seems like vinyl today is not the same quality it used to be. I grew up in the age of vinyl and bought a ton of it then and apart from the occasional warped record from poor storage I never had skips when they were new. Either the process is different or the quality is poorer because they make and sell them in much smaller quantities these days.  

4 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

just clean your CD. pretty self-explanatory (in my opinion)

??

It’s vinyl, not a CD

8 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Assuming you meant Vinyls and not CDs, do you think that's not the first thing that is tried? :lol: cleaning the vinyl should be done but doesn't help most of the times when the issue isn't dust or dirt particles. I have tried it both with a soft brush and liquid vinyl soap, and that never worked with GD vinyls.

I used to have this problem with new vinyls too, but it turned outs that the problem was on my turntable. I bought a new one and the vinyls are all fine now. Have you tried to change the needle?

1 hour ago, Alf said:

I used to have this problem with new vinyls too, but it turned outs that the problem was on my turntable. I bought a new one and the vinyls are all fine now. Have you tried to change the needle?

This is definitely worth a shout.  My first record player had a not-level turntable, which meant that even the smallest warp of the record made for big skips.  Once that was fixed, it took a more warped record to cause skips.  

The fact that OP’s other vinyl works fine makes it less likely to be a player problem, but it can definitely be a case of two smaller problems combining to make a big one.  And tbf, I’ve never seen a GD  record that wasn’t warped at all.

13 hours ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Vinyl has a lot more potential for issues than CD's. Obviously people try cleaning it first but it's just not made like it used to be and neither are turntables. Not as obvious a fix as you think. 

36 minutes ago, Not as cool as Tré Cool said:

Well I use CDs so get a CD

I think this misses the point a bit.  Vinyl and CD are two very different formats, each with their own benefits and drawbacks.  Many people have the same music on multiple formats because the experience is different with each.

Just because you prefer CDs, doesn’t mean another person does or should, and it certainly doesn’t negate OP’s problem.  You’d do well to understand that, as your comment came across as rather disrespectful.  If you can’t, or don’t want to, help with a problem with a vinyl record, I’d strongly suggest not posting in a thread about a problem with a vinyl record.

Archived