Adorkable

2019 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

DeJennsitized

So happy for Janet, she's an icon!

• Like 1

inthehallwaynow

Holy shit what a line up! I don't like def leopard that much but shit i'll listen to it if I can hear fucking Roxy Music. Super exciting!

• Like 1

Adorkable
3 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

Holy shit what a line up! I don't like def leopard that much but shit i'll listen to it if I can hear fucking Roxy Music. Super exciting!

I don't know alot about Roxy Music, but I will listen based on your recommendation!

• Like 1

Hermione

Glad to see Janet Jackson and no real objection to the others but why no LL Cool J when there's not even any other rap acts going in? Also Kraftwerk should definitely be in there before most of those for being such huge pioneers and influencers.

• Like 1

inthehallwaynow
48 minutes ago, Adorkable said:

I don't know alot about Roxy Music, but I will listen based on your recommendation!

They can be an acquired taste for some but I lurv em.

• Like 1

Brooklyn Baby
43 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

god Radiohead is so fucking boring, I don't give a shit about how smart the music is, it's boring

could not agree more with you

• Like 2

Adorkable
57 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

god Radiohead is so fucking boring, I don't give a shit about how smart the music is, it's boring

I don't even know how smart their music is. Creep is the easiest guitar song I've ever played. It took me about 30 seconds to learn and I'm a hack. 

• Like 3

Montclare

I'll never be a fan of non-rock artists being inducted into the Rock Hall, so I'm not a fan of Janet Jackson being inducted. Also not happy about Stevie Nicks being inducted, although I expected it. I feel she's being judged on both her solo and Fleetwood Mac work (especially when it comes to the fan vote), and FM is already in there, so only her solo work should be considered. IMO, Bella Donna is her only halfway decent solo album. I feel she's being inducted more because of her image than quality work.

Happy about the Cure though.

• Like 1

Adorkable
9 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Also not happy about Stevie Nicks being inducted, although I expected it. I feel she's being judged on both her solo and Fleetwood Mac work (especially when it comes to the fan vote), and FM is already in there, so only her solo work should be considered. IMO, Bella Donna is her only halfway decent solo album. I feel she's being inducted more because of her image than quality work.

Well of course, she gets in on style points alone. 

14 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

TBF Creep is not a good representative of Radiohead 

but they are overrated imo 

as for Def Leppard other than Pour Some Sugar On Me and Two Steps Behind never saw the hype on them (altho props on being able to drum with one arm) 

So we are in agreement.

fukingcounterstrike

But the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm!!!!!

Hermione
1 hour ago, Montclare said:

I'll never be a fan of non-rock artists being inducted into the Rock Hall, so I'm not a fan of Janet Jackson being inducted. Also not happy about Stevie Nicks being inducted, although I expected it. I feel she's being judged on both her solo and Fleetwood Mac work (especially when it comes to the fan vote), and FM is already in there, so only her solo work should be considered. IMO, Bella Donna is her only halfway decent solo album. I feel she's being inducted more because of her image than quality work.

Happy about the Cure though.

Non-rock artists have been getting inducted since the very beginning (for example Sam Cooke the first year). It was never meant to only be for rock acts, it's the loose definition of "rock n roll" rather than meaning only the "rock and roll" genre (which barely describes half of the alternative, heavy, indie and other kinds of rock acts in there anyway).

• Like 3

Montclare
53 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Non-rock artists have been getting inducted since the very beginning (for example Sam Cooke the first year). It was never meant to only be for rock acts, it's the loose definition of "rock n roll" rather than meaning only the "rock and roll" genre (which barely describes half of the alternative, heavy, indie and other kinds of rock acts in there anyway).

I think it makes sense when early artists who influenced rock are inducted, but not modern artists who have nothing to do with the genre.

maryjanewhatsername
20 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I think it makes sense when early artists who influenced rock are inducted, but not modern artists who have nothing to do with the genre.

Music is all interconnected and influenced by each other so I still see the validity of adding other artists to the Rock Hall. But I do see your point. 

• Like 2

Hermione

It's the Rock n Roll hall of fame not the Rock hall of fame, rock n roll ≠ rock. Many modern rock artists aren't much closer to the original "rock n roll" sound than many non rock artists are. And genres like rap or rnb also have roots in rock n roll. Like @maryjanewhatsername says music is so interconnected that there's room for a wide range of artists to be recognised under the wide umbrella of "rock n roll", and the RnR Hall of Fame has always done that.

• Like 3

The Insider

I have never seen The Cure live & I really want to.  In high school my friends had a Cure cover band & used to play at our parties😊

• Like 1

kaylubd

I'm so happy The Cure made it! I know getting inducted doesn't necessarily make or break a band, a band can be amazing and never get in, but it's great to see them getting such recognition. I'm also really happy for Janet Jackson and Stevie Nicks. Radiohead? Eh whatever. I don't like them. I do think Kraftwerk should've been inducted. They've had such a major influence on so many artists, so it kind of sucks they got overlooked. Def Leppard? I'm honestly stunned they took the fan vote. As someone else mentioned, they're an average rock band who wrote one of the corniest songs of the 80s. 

• Like 2

DeJennsitized
14 hours ago, Montclare said:

I'd classify Janet Jackson as someone who influenced rock n roll for sure. Black Cat even got a grammy nomination for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. The Hall of Fame isn't JUST about rock as a genre anyway. It's about an artist's longevity and contribution to music in general, and Janet is more than worthy. 

• Like 2

Montclare
6 hours ago, DeJennsitized said:

I'd classify Janet Jackson as someone who influenced rock n roll for sure. Black Cat even got a grammy nomination for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. The Hall of Fame isn't JUST about rock as a genre anyway. It's about an artist's longevity and contribution to music in general, and Janet is more than worthy. 

One rock song doesn't make a rock artist.  Using that logic, Green Day should get into the Rap Hall of Fame based off of Nightlife, or the Country Hall of Fame off of Dominated Love Slave.  Should Janet get into the R&B Hall of Fame, or Pop, or overall music?  Sure.  But not Rock.  Rock has taken enough of a hit as it is; the RRHOF should focus on rock artists.  Again, just my opinion.

Adorkable
36 minutes ago, Montclare said:

One rock song doesn't make a rock artist.  Using that logic, Green Day should get into the Rap Hall of Fame based off of Nightlife, or the Country Hall of Fame off of Dominated Love Slave.  Should Janet get into the R&B Hall of Fame, or Pop, or overall music?  Sure.  But not Rock.  Rock has taken enough of a hit as it is; the RRHOF should focus on rock artists.  Again, just my opinion.

I can absolutely understand how you feel, but I don't think the requirements for Rock Hall admission are quite structured that way. 

The Rock Hall of Fame isn't supposed to just be for great current rock music. Obviously making great music is a huge factor, but it also looks at how influential the artist is and the music that influenced rock music. Rock music has it's roots in so many different types of music, from pop, blues, folk, jazz, gospel, etc. And I think the purpose of the Rock Hall is to not just honor rock music, but the artists that helped develop rock music. 

I think that is why you see artists such as Janet Jackson being considered. She is one of the most influential pop/R&B artists around and has influenced countless number of artists. 

• Like 3

Hermione

It isn't called the rock hall of fame. It's called the rock n roll hall of fame. The music genre "rock" and the term "rock n roll" which can either mean a specific type of rock music or can be used as a broader term that goes beyond just the rock genre are two different things. Have you looked at that list of past inductees? It's literally never been only for rock acts, that simply isn't what it's supposed to be.

Like, this is rock n roll music

A lot of the rock acts that go in each year aren't any closer to that sound than a lot of acts from other genres.

• Like 2

Montclare
40 minutes ago, Hermione said:

It isn't called the rock hall of fame. It's called the rock n roll hall of fame. The music genre "rock" and the term "rock n roll" which can either mean a specific type of rock music or can be used as a broader term that goes beyond just the rock genre are two different things. Have you looked at that list of past inductees? It's literally never been only for rock acts, that simply isn't what it's supposed to be.

Like, this is rock n roll music

A lot of the rock acts that go in each year aren't any closer to that sound than a lot of acts from other genres.

I'm using the terms interchangeably. Of course I support Chuck Berry being in; he's one of the forefathers who created rock. I just don't think it's right that non-rock artists (modern, not early artists that helped to create it) get in when there's worthy rock artists still not it.

Hermione

I'm using the terms interchangeably. Of course I support Chuck Berry being in; he's one of the forefathers who created rock. I just don't think it's right that non-rock artists (modern, not early artists that helped to create it) get in when there's worthy rock artists still not it.

If they hadn't always added a variety of different artists every year and they changed to that then I might see your point. But that's just how it's always been from the first year onwards so I don't see any problem with it. The Supremes were inducted in 1988 and Janet Jackson being inducted 30 years later really isn't any different.

• Like 2